BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Noticed Tony referenced a scout saying "Take a look at this guy, he has scored 25 goals in Ligue 2"

That has to be Habib Diallo from Metz, 6'1 23 year old Senegal Striker who looks the dogs bollocks. 

Another name to throw into the ring is Oliver Burke, had a mixed time at Celtic since January, has all the talent in the world but never really lived up to it. I don't know if has a future at Celtic or West Brom. 

Front Four next season:

Burke---Dack--Rothwell

------------Diallo-------------

6 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Further to my earlier post....

Crosses per game - 16  (joint 2nd lowest in the league). Sheff Utd put in the most crosses with 25 per game (Billy Sharpe is delighted with that stat - easy to score tap-ins when the ball is fizzing across the 6 yard box regularly).

Not only do we not put many crosses in, when we do they are very, very poor. Armstrong can't cross it, Rothwell always runs inside, Chapman will be lucky to start - so it's left to our full backs - none of whom can cross it. We have lots of central attacking midfielders but none that are natural out wide ( apart from Chapman who will never start). I think we are crying out for an Alan Judge-type, someone who can deliver quality into the box. Beside Conway (who is probably off) there is no-one in the team who can do it. 

Fair enough - always like to see a bit of data supporting an argument. Personally I don't think we're going down the crossing route. We're more of a passing side as you say. Would be very useful for us to have some fullbacks who can cross mind.

Dru Yearwood at Southend might be one to look at. Ivan Toney at Peterbrough looks, moves and plays like Wilf Zaha. Watched highlights from their games yesterday and looked unbelievable. 

Edited by Neal
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Ben Whiteman at donny wins Donny player of season and fans player of season. Been in for talks with TM. Better than most of our midfield 

Sounds promising. Young and obviously quite highly rated. Where did you hear that from?

6 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Ben Whiteman at donny wins Donny player of season and fans player of season. Been in for talks with TM. Better than most of our midfield 

Got a link? How is your mate anyway, still desperate to sign for the real Rovers?

Not too many players to recommend from the Norwegian Eliteserie, but these two might be worth a look:

André Hansen, 29 year old GK. Best goalkeeper for years, player of the year last season.

Chidera Ejuke, 21 year old Nigerian winger. Good dribbling skills and quick.

He scored this nice goal earlier in the season:

• Like 1

If Mowbray's comments re. Bauer are anything to go by then he's not going to be shopping in the League One aisle of the transfer store. Likewise if his comments about building towards promotion next season are accurate he's going to be taking a massive gamble if he intends to do that by focusing his search on the lower leagues. Of course there are handy players out there and Preston have done well at recruiting them but for me if you're aiming for promotion next season you either need to be prepared to invest in Championship or above proven players or have the skills to exploit the European market.

I was refreshed to hear Mowbray's comments re. the defence and bringing new players in. However, I am not convinced that rectifying our leaky defence and horrific goals against column is quite as straightforward as going out and signing some new defenders to replace those here. It should help but the other element here is coaching and team structure and I believe when you've conceded as many as we have, and particularly the way in which many have been conceded, there are other issues that need dealing with rather than just going and signing someone else and expecting the defence to improve overnight. The whole team needs to defend better and that means being fitter, more disciplined and better organised e.g. set pieces. Someone like Allardyce is the expert at sorting out a defence. He can go into a struggling side leaking goals with low confidence and immediately and drastically reduce the goals against column. Not by going and signing different players, but by sorting out those he inherits straight away and replacing them in due course. I'm not sure that Mowbray has this ability. Also worth noting that defensively we were far from impressive last season and that was when we had better players than most other sides so how do you explain that?

Moving forward I believe 5-6 quality additions are required at a minimum, assuming we keep Dack, Lenihan and in the hope that Armstrong, Brereton and Rothwell kick on and improve from being potential to regular performers. 

Replacing Downing with a quality CB is essential, as is replacing Leutwiler with a better GK. Replacing Harrison Reed (if he can't be brought back) is essential. Obtaining a partner/backup/replacement for Danny Graham is essential. Replacing Conway with a quality winger who can cross a ball is needed.

Unfortunately I doubt things will be so straightforward. I expect that Samuel, Chapman and Davenport will be sold to the supporters as being 'new signings' given they should be fit and up to speed for the new season. Problem is we've no idea how any of them will fare at this level. Finding someone to take Smallwood off our hands will be tough. Even for free I can't see anyone paying him more than we are. Same goes for Mulgrew (if we actually want him to go).

So Mowbray has to convince the Indians to back him, identify the right players, then manage to get them here whilst getting shut of a few on lengthy contracts to balance the books. Won't be easy, or quick. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Conway return for pre-season without a contract and then him end up getting another year once Mowbray realises the constraints he's working within and the difficulty in getting someone better in.

• Like 6

You can all sh!t on this as a worthless twitter rumour but.......

A Sheff Wednesday fan has tweeted that he was in a bar with the Rotherham United squad and the midfielder Will Vaulks said he was in talks with Rovers. There is no reason for someone like that to spread bull but you never know i suppose. I suppose we will soon find out if that is true and if it materialises or not. Think the real fun and games will start properly in 4 to 5 weeks. Lets hope it's a productive summer.

• Backroom
Just now, JeffRover said:

A Sheff Wednesday fan has tweeted that he was in a bar with the Rotherham United squad and the midfielder Will Vaulks said he was in talks with Rovers. There is no reason for someone like that to spread bull but you never know i suppose. I suppose we will soon find out if that is true and if it materialises or not. Think the real fun and games will start properly in 4 to 5 weeks. Lets hope it's a productive summer.

Didn’t know we had him on trial in 2014?!

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/10936405.blackburn-rovers-take-ex-tranmere-defender-will-vaulks-on-trial-from-falkirk/

• Like 1

Just now, Mike E said:

I didn't have a clue about that either! The cheek of some who say that Bowyer could judge a player. I think it was his Dad who did all of the good scouting personally.

59 minutes ago, JHRover said:

If Mowbray's comments re. Bauer are anything to go by then he's not going to be shopping in the League One aisle of the transfer store. Likewise if his comments about building towards promotion next season are accurate he's going to be taking a massive gamble if he intends to do that by focusing his search on the lower leagues. Of course there are handy players out there and Preston have done well at recruiting them but for me if you're aiming for promotion next season you either need to be prepared to invest in Championship or above proven players or have the skills to exploit the European market.

I was refreshed to hear Mowbray's comments re. the defence and bringing new players in. However, I am not convinced that rectifying our leaky defence and horrific goals against column is quite as straightforward as going out and signing some new defenders to replace those here. It should help but the other element here is coaching and team structure and I believe when you've conceded as many as we have, and particularly the way in which many have been conceded, there are other issues that need dealing with rather than just going and signing someone else and expecting the defence to improve overnight. The whole team needs to defend better and that means being fitter, more disciplined and better organised e.g. set pieces. Someone like Allardyce is the expert at sorting out a defence. He can go into a struggling side leaking goals with low confidence and immediately and drastically reduce the goals against column. Not by going and signing different players, but by sorting out those he inherits straight away and replacing them in due course. I'm not sure that Mowbray has this ability. Also worth noting that defensively we were far from impressive last season and that was when we had better players than most other sides so how do you explain that?

Moving forward I believe 5-6 quality additions are required at a minimum, assuming we keep Dack, Lenihan and in the hope that Armstrong, Brereton and Rothwell kick on and improve from being potential to regular performers. 

Replacing Downing with a quality CB is essential, as is replacing Leutwiler with a better GK. Replacing Harrison Reed (if he can't be brought back) is essential. Obtaining a partner/backup/replacement for Danny Graham is essential. Replacing Conway with a quality winger who can cross a ball is needed.

Unfortunately I doubt things will be so straightforward. I expect that Samuel, Chapman and Davenport will be sold to the supporters as being 'new signings' given they should be fit and up to speed for the new season. Problem is we've no idea how any of them will fare at this level. Finding someone to take Smallwood off our hands will be tough. Even for free I can't see anyone paying him more than we are. Same goes for Mulgrew (if we actually want him to go).

So Mowbray has to convince the Indians to back him, identify the right players, then manage to get them here whilst getting shut of a few on lengthy contracts to balance the books. Won't be easy, or quick. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Conway return for pre-season without a contract and then him end up getting another year once Mowbray realises the constraints he's working within and the difficulty in getting someone better in.

The cynic in me does slightly wonder with all this talk of Euro scouting all of a sudden that we might be being primed for a few lower Euro league punts puffing out the squad instead of the usual kids from Prem clubs etc.

It takes time to scour round that market and research the players particularly the way TM is alleging they are doing it so if it has an instant return i'd be inclined to think they might have already been lined up.  Not sure that market is tailored to instant English championship players.

Edited by tomphil

Mahoney wins young player of the year for Birmingham, all their fans seemingly desperate for him too stay. Shame he didn’t get more of a chance here, if he had he may not have wanted too leave. If Bournemouth are looking to get rid, I wouldn’t be against him coming back here and showing what he can really do if it was a cheap deal. I’d rather have him on the wing than Armstrong that’s for sure. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mike E said:

Utter hunch (BS), but I feel like we might do a straight swap Smallwood for Vaulks at Rotherham.

If they’d have him back that would be ideal really. Be a good sign of intent at the start of the window. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Swanson said:

Not too many players to recommend from the Norwegian Eliteserie, but these two might be worth a look:

André Hansen, 29 year old GK. Best goalkeeper for years, player of the year last season.

Chidera Ejuke, 21 year old Nigerian winger. Good dribbling skills and quick.

He scored this nice goal earlier in the season:

I like the goalkeeper shout. Europa League experience as well. 

1 hour ago, JeffRover said:

Iv asked someone at Rotherham. Reckons it’s possible that we could be in for Vaulks. Shef Wed defo are...described as good (not great) technically, great athlete, leader and top lad.

Reckons Mowbray talked more about how much he liked Ajayi after the last game. 6ft 6 CB that lad...?

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Butty said:

If they’d have him back that would be ideal really. Be a good sign of intent at the start of the window. 

Apparently don’t want him back. In spite of Smallwood still living in Rotherham. Slowed their forward play too much. Described as ‘the crab’

9 hours ago, Stuart said:

Nyambe has been a regular for Mowbray until recently, and you’ve missed out a very talented youngster from your list in Dan Butterworth.

True. I thought about him after I posted but I listed enough to make the point?