BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

15 hours ago, 47er said:

I don't mind "giving them an opportunity". The problem is that the 'opportunity" lasted the whole season or most of it.

And it came at the expense of younger players who proved they could do better.

in defence? Who? that is what I am referring to and I think where TM is unhappy with. Generally, on the whole, I think we have been good going forward. Shown that we can create and score at this level. Of course there is always room to improve but I think he must have been ok with what we have. 

6 hours ago, nathan_rovers1 said:

in defence? Who? that is what I am referring to and I think where TM is unhappy with. Generally, on the whole, I think we have been good going forward. Shown that we can create and score at this level. Of course there is always room to improve but I think he must have been ok with what we have. 

I don't recall your original post referring specifically to defenders. As I remember you were talking about the team.

We are all unhappy about the defence----the goals against column speaks for itself.

But while TM is "unhappy", it didn't create itself did it? It his defence and he's been here for more than 2 seasons.

• Like 1

Just now, JacknOry said:

Reed being linked with a move back to Norwich on a perm.

Gives him a season to improve at that level  before the 20/21 season when we can buy him outright after taking Norwich's place in the Prem :)

Edited by perthblue02
  • Like 2

Just now, JoeHarvey said:

I really wouldn’t be surprised if Grant Hanley makes a return.

I'd be quite pleased with that. For me him and Lenihan would box off the CB issue for the time being.

• Like 8

17 hours ago, Neal said:

Dru Yearwood at Southend might be one to look at. Ivan Toney at Peterbrough looks, moves and plays like Wilf Zaha. Watched highlights from their games yesterday and looked unbelievable. 

Funny one, Toney. Was meant to tear up L1 with Wigan last year, and their fans were pretty unanimous in thinking he was dire. Clearly improved dramatically since then, might be one of those who needed to get a run in a team without big expectations to flourish.

Could be a good signing, but wouldn't expect him to be on the cheap given it's Peterborough & he'll have years left on his contract. Would be a bit risky to be on the top of my list.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JoeHarvey said:

I really wouldn’t be surprised if Grant Hanley makes a return.

Based on what? I see this as the typical lazy solution "because he used to play for us"

I very much doubt he will come back here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

Based on what? I see this as the typical lazy solution "because he used to play for us"

I do too but I'd like him back.

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

Not laziness just probability. He couldn’t get a look in at Norwich in this division, let alone in the Premier League. He’d be cheapest because he’s not played a lot and his wages are Championship level.

Its just common sense that it’s definitely a deal that’s been looked at.

*all of this not even taking into consideration the fact that he’s the exact type of player we’re in need of right now

Edited by JoeHarvey

Grant Hanley would be a good buy. If nothing else he'll put his head through the ball and probably put a bit more confidence in the keeper behind him too. He probably shouldn't have left us in fairness but at the time we thought we may use the money wisely.....

21 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Grant Hanley would be a good buy. If nothing else he'll put his head through the ball and probably put a bit more confidence in the keeper behind him too. He probably shouldn't have left us in fairness but at the time we thought we may use the money wisely.....

At the time we were selling anyone who could fetch a fee and anyone of any value in the squad knew it. Then came the knee 'injury' which ruled him out of pre-season with the bandage that changed legs at half time. God they were taking fans for fools.

He ticks all the boxes. Knows the club/area, come through our system, experienced at this level. Not really a gamble. I'd rather keep the punts and gambles down to a minimum so if someone is there who can come in and fit in quickly it's worth looking at.

Generally I follow the 'don't go back principle' but feel that applies less to defenders.

Unless a gem has been discovered in Mowbray's European adventures I do not expect us to sign a CB who is better than Hanley so if he is available we should at least try.

There is the 'red mist' issue with him but I like passion in a player.

(Ooops, just remembered about not posting in this thread, bloody temptation got the better of me)

Edited by AllRoverAsia

13 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Generally I follow the 'don't go back principle' but feel that applies less to defenders.

Unless a gem has been discovered in Mowbray's European adventures I do not expect us to sign a CB who is better than Hanley so if he is available we should at least try.

There is the 'red mist' issue with him but I like passion in a player.

(Ooops, just remembered about not posting in this thread, bloody temptation got the better of me)

I'd agree it doesn't seem to apply with defenders. The buying back worked superbly with Big Col and Henning Berg. 

• Like 1

This season he has had a hip flexor problem, viral meningitis, and I think it said a fractured hand. Very unlucky year for the lad! Still managed 7 appearances.

I wonder whether they're releasing him because of his sudden glut of injury issues or they just don't rate him enough to be their backup? Either one makes me wary, but clubs don't always make the right call on releasing players.

I'm a sucker for having Rovers fans in the side (especially proper ones like Dunny & Derbyshire, and I know that Fielding is one of those) but putting sentiment aside, I'm not sure if it would quite fit. 

The impression I've got from his career is that he's constantly in a battle to be no. 1 at either Derby or Bristol City. Great championship shot stopper, maybe not that well-rounded (like Raya, only not at an age to expect to improve). I might be being very unfair, and the stats might not back this up, but it's the impression I have of him.

That said, if the idea is competition rather than a replacement, then I suppose we might not exactly have a host of quality established 'keepers queuing up to sign & wait for Raya to lose his jersey. 

Edited by Admiral Nelsen
  • Like 1