BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

I think the Raya comment is more about the dynamic between him and the Canadian goalie, rather than any new keeper. I hope so anyway. I remain sceptical about the Ruddy rumours, as we all know a transfer budget is usually agreed long into the window by Venkys after manager x or y has made the pilgrimage to Pune.

Lots of good players on the released lists. Brentford have let a couple go McLeod and the ex Chelsea lad who both were considered very promising. If we could keep them fit they may be good signings. 

Edited by Blue blood

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

Downing is out of contract this summer, so I can't see Doncaster buying him.

It is a mildly interesting negotiation given that that we hold an option on a player we don't really want, yet may be wanted elsewhere. Could negotiate that we will pick up the option unless they send us £100k, or whatever. Doncaster may have a few quid to spend if they squeak through the playoffs and he seemed to be an automatic pick for them as they battled to the playoff spot.

Probably ultimately depends on if there's any other prospective buyers for Downing to give us any sort of leverage over Doncaster, which may be doubtful (at least at any sort of price that would make picking up his option worthwhile as Downing appears to be a Championship/L1 tweener). May depend on his current wages too, as Downing may then want us to pick up the option to give him leverage on Doncaster wages-wise. 

Hardly a game changer for the budget, but a lower-revenue Championship club like ours should be looking to squeeze every asset of their worth.

...I did say it's only 'mildly' interesting.

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

I once had a conversation with an ex Rovers manager who told me that planning for a window starts immediately the previous one has closed. The process begins with identifying players in areas that need strengthening and the list can be exhaustive but prioritised. An idea of their value, wages etc is added and this gave him an indication of potential spend against his budget. As soon as possible contact is made through agents. Sometimes the players demands or fee his club are asking will curtail the deal and the club would move onto their next target.

The key to this is the manager knowing his budget. It doesn't sound like Mowbray knows what he has to spend.

Good job he has money left over from two windows to get cracking with then 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neal said:

Where has this Ruddy rumour come from? 

An ex player,says nearly done deal, but we will see, heard all this before, but think it would certainly be a good signing, big lad 6’4”.

Just now, unsall said:

An ex player,says nearly done deal, but we will see, heard all this before, but think it would certainly be a good signing, big lad 6’4”.

Be a great signing IMV

Regarding Ruddy, apparently (so my Norwich supporting friends tell me) he still lives in the Norwich area and commutes to Wolverhampton as he didn't want to leave the area when he left Norwich.

I can't imagine a commute up to Blackburn every day is plausible so if the above is true it might be a sticking point in any deal. 

Would be a good signing IMO if we could get it done though!

4 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

So Mowbray has backed down on resolving the team's biggest problem - the fact we have a dodgy goalkeeper.

Doesn't bode well for him signing the quality defenders we also need this summer. 

In my opinion the keeper is not the biggest problem. Defence is.

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

Would be a good signing, perhaps slightly too good to expect Raya to start off as number 1 if that's still Tony's plan,

We need an obvious upgrade IMO, else it's just wasted wages. 

• Like 2

Just now, Neal said:

We need an obvious upgrade IMO, else it's just wasted wages. 

If that's what we're going for, then Ruddy's CV would suggest he's exactly that.

Raya's a real conundrum for me. I fully expect him to have a really good career, but how patient can a club like us afford to be with a goalkeeper?

I really do hope we build from the back.  I'd rather we spent money on the goalkeeping and defence before anything else. We pissed away far too many points through basic errors and lethargic defending.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, because it would make a lot of sense to say "i am signing a new number 1". It would be really intelligent. 

An intelligent manager wouldn't.  But an intelligent manager also wouldn't publicly back a player he intended to replace. It doesn't need much intelligence for you to understand this. 

2 hours ago, rigger said:

In my opinion the keeper is not the biggest problem. Defence is.

A goalkeeper is very much an integral part of a defense. We need a more commanding figure at the back, not just a good shot stopper.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Thought ruddy was a lot older than 32 so would be happy with that signing with 2-3 years still in him 

At least look at speroni today he’s 39/40 played this year albeit twice in the preem.

Ruddy looks a good one I remember him playing against us at Goodson when steadinho scored!

Good keeper a poor mans paul Robinson in his pomp 

Edited by Scotland1

Just now, OnePhilT said:

Wondering if the "ex-England international" hint made somebody hazard a guess at us being in for Hart rather than Ruddy.

I think it’s credible we checked all options though il caveat that as we were linked with Carson in the same article so potentially your angle might be right.

8 hours ago, philipl said:

He isnt saying Raya is his No1 going forwards, he's saying he's No.1 over Leutwiler. He isn't saying he won't get better than Raya in the summer. 

Best keeper ive seen in the championship for a while is Bialkowski at ipswich. Not sure why he hasnt played much this season, but great keeper. Be available on the cheap now i reckon.