BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

58 minutes ago, Butty said:

Agree entirely. Wouldn’t say Obi Mikel is the right option for centre mid though, he’ll be on big money plus he’s in the same boat as Smallwood and Evans, midfield stoppers who don’t contribute anything to the attacking third of the field, although Obi Mikel does that job better than them two I think we need too add a centre mid who can actually score a goal as the amount of goals our centre mids have scored in the last few years is horrendous too say the least. Vaulks from Rotherham would be a good signing for me, chips in with a few and works hard. I think he could be a gem at an affordable price... I think Carsons wages could be a stumbling block too, let’s see how much we want it over these next couple of months. ?

Pretty sure Vaulks also has a long throw on him a'la Pedersen.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, adz4d2 said:

Positions we need this summer

Left back- martin olsson should be high up the wishlist

Cebtreback- investment needed here

Centre mid - john obi mikel out of contract hes only 31 under the right manager he could boss the midfield 

Keeper - Scott Carson another good buy on a free 

Striker- Graham cant keep doing what hes doing, this is probably where the real investment needs to be,

We dont need any more really the squad we allredy have plus a selection of experienced professionals will be more than enough to get out of this league

Sounds pretty straight forward. Looking forward to being back in the Prem.

I'd rather we didn't chuck 30k a week at Mikel, hes exactly the sort of player I wouldn't pay to see - old, expensive, would never really give a shit. Give me a Travis any day.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, rigger said:

Where have I stated that I am unsure if the keeper is part of a defence. The discussion started over whether changing our keeper would solve our defensive problems. I do not believe it would. If I stated the obvious, why do you persist in arguing against it.

Here:

On 09/05/2019 at 17:18, rigger said:

In my opinion the keeper is not the biggest problem. Defence is.

I never said you 'were unsure' by the way, I said you 'seemed undecided'.

Do you believe if we swapped Raya for someone else (better) but sign no other defenders, that it would improve our defence? Yes or no?

1 hour ago, OnePhilT said:

Obi Mikel is a superb player at this level. He completely controlled the game for 'Boro against us at Ewood not so long ago. I would say "yes" in a heartbeat, but I think even that is dreamland.

Couldn’t get near him that day. Class above.

Exactly the type of player that we need in next Travis.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Torgeir said:

Here:

I never said you 'were unsure' by the way, I said you 'seemed undecided'.

Do you believe if we swapped Raya for someone else (better) but sign no other defenders, that it would improve our defence? Yes or no?

No

1 hour ago, J*B said:

I'd rather we didn't chuck 30k a week at Mikel, hes exactly the sort of player I wouldn't pay to see - old, expensive, would never really give a shit. Give me a Travis any day.

Whilst I dont think that Mikel is realistic, it seems totally unfair to generalise that he wouldnt give a shit, presumably based on the likes of Murphy and Etuhu. Mikel impressed at Boro, including at Ewood where he was as good as any midfielder I've seen all season, and if he wanted do very little to earn a good wage then surely hed have stayed in China; the wage youve suggested is surely a guess.

Hes younger than our player of the season last season.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

A choice between Brad Friedel or Jake Kean in their respective primes - would it make any difference to our goals against column if everything else remained the same?

Tricky one:rolleyes:

But that was not the choice. It was between Raya and a different keeper, or an upgrade on center half. We have to be realistic on who we are going to be able to sign.   

Edited by rigger

Just now, rigger said:

But that was not the choice. It was between Raya and a different keeper, or an upgrade on center half.    

It was a choice between a Raya and a better keeper and whether that would make a difference to our defence if nothing else changed. You answered no. See below. So what you're saying is that Brad Friedel in his prime would make no difference to our defence when clearly he would. 

2 hours ago, Torgeir said:

6 minutes ago, rigger said:

No

It was a choice between a Raya and a better keeper and whether that would make a difference to our defence if nothing else changed. You answered no. See below. So what you're saying is that Brad Friedel in his prime would make no difference to our defence when clearly he would. 

If we had signed Lev Yashin in his prime he would not have improved our defenders last season.

Just now, rigger said:

If we had signed Lev Yashin in his prime he would not have improved our defenders last season.

21 hours ago, rigger said:

Where have I stated that I am unsure if the keeper is part of a defence. The discussion started over whether changing our keeper would solve our defensive problems. I do not believe it would. 

You've confused yourself. 

• Like 1

Just now, rigger said:

But our defence as a whole he would. Maybe we should just give Smallwood the spot on a permanent basis to free up a spot in the middle.

Just now, OnePhilT said:

I'd argue that confidence in a goalkeeper probably breeds confidence in a defender, so you could easily argue that a "better" keeper would improve the defence.

Definitely. If Raya could dominate his area our defenders wouldn't look as shit defending corners and set-pieces.  Raya also doesn't look like a great organiser of his defence on corner and set-pieces. 

A better keeper would improve the defence and the defenders.

Definitely. If Raya could dominate his area our defenders wouldn't look as shit defending corners and set-pieces.  Raya also doesn't look like a great organiser of his defence on corner and set-pieces. 

A better keeper would improve the defence and the defenders.

We are going round in circles (similar to our defenders). My view is we should stick with Raya, and get a good center half and left full-back. Adios.

• Like 2

Just now, rigger said:

We are going round in circles (similar to our defenders). My view is we should stick with Raya, and get a good center half and left full-back. Adios.

Even if we stick with Raya, he needs real competition.

In my opinion we need at least one guy in every position at the back. Mulgrew not up to it anymore unfortunately, Bell and Williams both been poor at left back, Nyambe needs better competition than Bennett.