BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Send Samuel put on loan until January. He will either be scoring goals at that point ,or not. If he is we could consider bringing him back or selling him. 

He is well down the pecking order here now 

I think anyone saying he’s worth keeping has a short memory, he wasn’t good enough in league one never mind the championship. Unless he’s got better since that massive injury, which without playing he won’t have. Loan him out for the season and see what he can do.. He shouldn’t be anywhere near our side next season.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Don Said said:

I think that role fits a 34/35 year old Danny Graham perfectly. A good finisher with the know-how of how to win games, whether that be getting in the positions to score, bringing others in to play or killing time/keeping the ball.

IF we sign/loan a good striker to play as our number 9 next season, with Graham being that man to play say 20 mins each week with the odd start, I think we'll be a much better outfit.

Not our absolute priority, and something that has become a bit of a headache due to the Brereton signing, but it's something we should be considering if we want to get to the next level.

Spot on but even at his advanced age to get someone in like Graham who guarantees you ten to fifteen goals will be a stretch unless there's a nice pot for a big wage loan who can actually play target man as well.   Getting someone to back him up should be a bit easier although long term we are going to need another good marksman from somewhere.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Send Samuel out on loan until January. He will either be scoring goals at that point ,or not. If he is we could consider bringing him back or selling him. 

He is well down the pecking order here now 

I'd be sending him out from the start of the season so he can get fit somewhere else and maybe get a goal or two. league 1 would be the place even if they had to sub half his wages this end.

It's worth seeing what he comes back like but if he's here I just know exactly how it's going to pan out Mowbray had an obsession with trying to justify him before so he'll be a square peg in a round hole again most weeks and we need to be moving away from that caper if at all possible.

• Like 2

I think Mowbray has to be ruthless for us to progress. A more dominant goalkeeper and a physical centre back alongside Lenighan is needed. Williams and Mulgrew as backups. We also need a box-to-box midfielder alongside Travis.  Evans can be a squad player, while Smallwood needs to go, to slow for this level. We need more goals from midfield. Vaulks a decent options, but not sure he's more than decent Championship level.  I also hope Davenport might step up. He has potential to be good.

We're in desperate need for an alternative to Graham upfront as well. Doesn't have to be a target man, Pukki at Norwich showed you can lead the line with great movement and aggresion without being dominant in the air. Rhodes is surely not the answer. Also sceptical about Toney and Lyle Taylor making the step, although I like both. Most strikers fail to make an impact coming from League One or Two. Ipswich tried with Kayden Jackson and Ellit Harrison for probably close to 3 million combined. Both failed. Omar Bogle also springs to mind. Ollie Watkins is probably the only one I can think of that has made a successful impact the last seasons and he's probably more a winger. 

2-3 million will get you a lot more value in Europe.  Full international players with European experience from Scandianavia for example. Belgium, Ligue 2, Eastern Europe are also places with value for money for a Championship club. 

I also think there are several players that still has a lot of potential to harvest like Nyambe, Travis, Dack, Rothwell, Armstrong and Davenport. Brereton hard to call. Big fan of Buckley and Butterworth but they would probably benefit from a loan first. Magloire likewise.

3-4 first teams players and keeping the core should give a decent chance to try for play offs.

• Like 5

Bidwell released by QPR.. Potential left back option, mixed opinion from QPR fans on him but I know he’s a name that’s been mentioned on here.. They’ve also released Pawel Wzolek, winger who I wouldn’t be against bringing in for a bit of competition because we are obviously seriously lacking out and out wingers and on his day this lad can play a bit.  There’s also a view that these two lads were released as they were two of the higher earners at the club, so I know some people might automatically think “if they are getting released from QPR, they aren’t good enough for us” but just bare that in mind before you crucify me for suggesting them as possible signings.. I can see us buying a couple of players for fees but a club like us has got too utilise the free agent market also and we could do a lot worse than these two I think. 

Edited by Butty
  • Like 1

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2019/may/the-wheels-are-turning/

“ Any supporters reading this, the wheels are turning behind the scenes. Sometimes, unless you have got a barrel load of money and you just pay the asking price, we aren’t that club.  We need to get value for money, we need to make sure we spend the money as well as we can, and that’s what we’ll try to do."

301.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

“ Any supporters reading this, the wheels are turning behind the scenes. Sometimes, unless you have got a barrel load of money and you just pay the asking price, we aren’t that club.  We need to get value for money, we need to make sure we spend the money as well as we can, and that’s what we’ll try to do."

301.jpg

I swear he says the same thing every year.

3 hours ago, briansol said:

I think Mowbray has to be ruthless for us to progress. A more dominant goalkeeper and a physical centre back alongside Lenighan is needed. Williams and Mulgrew as backups. We also need a box-to-box midfielder alongside Travis.  Evans can be a squad player, while Smallwood needs to go, to slow for this level. We need more goals from midfield. Vaulks a decent options, but not sure he's more than decent Championship level.  I also hope Davenport might step up. He has potential to be good.

We're in desperate need for an alternative to Graham upfront as well. Doesn't have to be a target man, Pukki at Norwich showed you can lead the line with great movement and aggresion without being dominant in the air. Rhodes is surely not the answer. Also sceptical about Toney and Lyle Taylor making the step, although I like both. Most strikers fail to make an impact coming from League One or Two. Ipswich tried with Kayden Jackson and Ellit Harrison for probably close to 3 million combined. Both failed. Omar Bogle also springs to mind. Ollie Watkins is probably the only one I can think of that has made a successful impact the last seasons and he's probably more a winger. 

2-3 million will get you a lot more value in Europe.  Full international players with European experience from Scandianavia for example. Belgium, Ligue 2, Eastern Europe are also places with value for money for a Championship club. 

I also think there are several players that still has a lot of potential to harvest like Nyambe, Travis, Dack, Rothwell, Armstrong and Davenport. Brereton hard to call. Big fan of Buckley and Butterworth but they would probably benefit from a loan first. Magloire likewise.

3-4 first teams players and keeping the core should give a decent chance to try for play offs.

Excellent post.

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

301.jpg

Agree with you it’s becoming Kean Coyle esque. Brereton looked a different player towards the end but still lacking. We need a new CF we need 20 goals next year 

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Err, Gladwin, Whittingham, Caddis, Hart, Harper on loan ?

How dare you tarnish Caddis’ name with those wasters. Bring back big Paul! 

1 hour ago, Lie_still_Rover said:

Dack, Rothwell, Chapman, Armstrong.. 

How much did those 4 cost vs current /potential value... 

Yup, not saying all his signings have been great but consider Bell plays every week, as did Reed. Not to mention Samuel, Payne, Antonsson and Downing who played regularly and contributed to our promotion. Davenport looks every bit a player...Gave several u23’s their debut over two seasons (11 in total I think).

Not bad for a guy who blindly sticks with the players he’s inherited, makes all bad signings and apparently never plays them huh? 

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Err, Gladwin, Whittingham, Caddis, Hart, Harper on loan ?

They get some right and some wrong. But ultimately he’s achieving his goal and plenty of his signings have contributed heavily to our success and progression over the past couple of years.

1 hour ago, Lie_still_Rover said:

Dack, Rothwell, Chapman, Armstrong.. 

How much did those 4 cost vs current /potential value... 

So we are still pointing out that Dack was a good value signing? That one decision has certainly covered up a lot of ills.

Of the other three:

Rothwell - a firm fan favourite but Mowbray didn’t/doesn’t rate him - and only selected him consistently once we were safe

Chapman - injury prone and unproven at this level

Armstrong - inconsistent and not yet a sell on for any real mark up

Potential value of all of them depends on Mowbray picking them and allowing them to succeed. I’d be very surprised if all three are on the pitch at the same time.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Yup, not saying all his signings have been great but consider Bell plays every week, as did Reed. Not to mention Samuel, Payne, Antonsson and Downing who played regularly and contributed to our promotion. Davenport looks every bit a player...Gave several u23’s their debut over two seasons (11 in total I think).

Not bad for a guy who blindly sticks with the players he’s inherited, makes all bad signings and apparently never plays them huh? 

So back to the signings, of all the ones he's made one is a liability at LB (Bell), one is brilliant (Dack), one he only played because he was desperate (Rothwell) and another who blows hot and cold (AA). They are the only ones that get in the team.

Raya, Mulgrew, Lenihan, Nyambe, Bennett, Evans, Travis, Williams, Graham he inherited. Those are the players he picks the most besides Dack, AA and Bell.

Mogga has spent £10m+ and 2.5 years achieving that. 

The transfer market is not his strong point. 

• Like 2

Raya and Travis never played so you can’t really say he “inherited” them.

Also I thought keeping hold of Mulgrew, Lenihan and Graham in the window after relegation was a massive success.

Important to remember we had a good squad for League One, and made good signings for a League One club.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

So back to the signings, of all the ones he's made one is a liability at LB (Bell), one is brilliant (Dack), one he only played because he was desperate (Rothwell) and another who blows hot and cold (AA). They are the only ones that get in the team.

Raya, Mulgrew, Lenihan, Nyambe, Bennett, Evans, Travis, Williams, Graham he inherited. Those are the players he picks the most besides Dack, AA and Bell.

Mogga has spent £10m+ and 2.5 years achieving that. 

The transfer market is not his strong point. 

£10 million plus which would be substantially improved upon if all of those players were sold though. Even if we treat Dack as a very successful anomaly which does a lot of the heavy lifting, we still have Rothwell & Armstrong who would go for substantially more than what we got them for. The long term value of BB is going to be a moot point for a while longer, but's not hard to see how the buttons that we apparently paid for Davenport & Chapman could be multiplied in future sales. 

Take the points that he's had some misses too. We'll de well to get the half a million or whatever it was for Samuel back, Whittingham was a massive disappointment and the less said about Gladwin the better. But even Hughes had Berner, Jeffers, Rigters & Vogel who didn't work out for whatever.

I think the test of his record should be in the quality of the team and the value of the squad, and you'd have to say that there's been a big improvement on both since he arrived, even accounting for what he's spent.

11 hours ago, Pedro said:

Irons in the fire.  We have identified targets.  Unrealistic prices.  Get our business done early. Loans not permanent.  

Yep. Been here before.

And we go along with it every time.

One, we will not do our business early, and we never will under Venkys.

Two, there is no way we will sign 4/5 players that will come straight into the first 11 on the first day of next season.

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

And we go along with it every time.

One, we will not do our business early, and we never will under Venkys.

Two, there is no way we will sign 4/5 players that will come straight into the first 11 on the first day of next season.

Your comment reads like your annoyed. What do you actually expect.

I'd be shocked and disappointed if we never had targets in mind.

I'd also be shocked but delighted if we signed them first and foremost and speechless if we did it early.

But it's the same as every other team in every league.