BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, JHRover said:

Leutwiler 1 year extension activated....taken up by the club...

Talks ongoing with Conway, Gladwin and Rodwell....

Downing on his way....

JFHC.

There shouldn't even be a second's hesitation in discarding the first three.

Can't see Rodwell wanting to stay for the amount of game time he's had this season.

Downing is one I wouldn't mind us keeping as back up in an ideal world but if he's off then we need to look at bringing Wharton back into the fold and have him and Magloire challenging Lenihan and a new CH for the central defensive spots.

Just now, BlackburnEnd75 said:

That suggests no new keeper....

It maybe suggests a cheap or young 3rd choice to supposedly put pressure on the other two.

I like Mowbray and back him but the longer he's here the more he seems to be becoming an i'll tell them what they like to hear manager whilst having different plans of his own altogether.

• Like 1

Quite how Downing has been given the boot but Gladwin hasn't is beyond me. Seriously. What the fuck. We literally have no senior CB we can trust aside from Lenihan and they let him go but Ben Gladwin has been given a stay of execution. 

Horrendous start. Come on - chop chop. 

• Like 2

Just now, tomphil said:

It maybe suggests a cheap or young 3rd choice to supposedly put pressure on the other two.

I like Mowbray and back him but the longer he's here the more he seems to be becoming an i'll tell them what they like to hear manager whilst having different plans of his own altogether.

Unless of course financial restrictions/lack of investment means he knows he's going to be struggling and so it is going to be much easier handing an extra year out to those already here than it is to go out into the market, spend money and tie someone else down to 2-3 years.....

I'm afraid anyone expecting these owners to suddenly come up with cold hard cash to invest on Mowbray's promotion plans are in for a rude awakening. I suspect the only chance he has of extracting cash from the top dogs is by selling players to them as potential profit makers like Armstrong and Brereton. Those sort of deals won't be easy or quick to complete and Mowbray may have lost some credit on that front with Brereton's difficult season.....

• Like 1

Literally NO reason to keep Leutwiler & Gladwin. Even if we don't have a pot to piss in this summer, we could still pick up a couple of freebies who would make more of an impression.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I think all he is trying to do is to manage expectation. On the surface our budgets are tiny compare to clubs like Leeds, Villa, both Sheffield club, Derby, and so forth. If we end up in the play off it is due to hard work and team spirit. Leutwiller sigining on means nothing to me as why throw 10k a week on Fielding who isn't even going to be starting. Keep developing Raya, Nyambe, Travis, Lenihan, Chapman, Brereton, they are our future. Downing being released i am fine with, i would love to see Wharton in and around the squad. In the meantime Gladwin, has been plagued by injuries and has had issues off the field during his time with us. Give him a short term contract and a chance to prove he can offer something. Make an appearance base salary and then see what happen low risk extension. Rodwell is interesting as i think he has been a good signing however, i would much rather use his salary allocation on bringing in another quality midfielder. But it could be a clever signing if he continues on the hardwork he has already put in. 

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

Unless of course financial restrictions/lack of investment means he knows he's going to be struggling and so it is going to be much easier handing an extra year out to those already here than it is to go out into the market, spend money and tie someone else down to 2-3 years.....

I'm afraid anyone expecting these owners to suddenly come up with cold hard cash to invest on Mowbray's promotion plans are in for a rude awakening. I suspect the only chance he has of extracting cash from the top dogs is by selling players to them as potential profit makers like Armstrong and Brereton. Those sort of deals won't be easy or quick to complete and Mowbray may have lost some credit on that front with Brereton's difficult season.....

Yes and we've been thee before, front loading with a few quid on decent signings then nothing for years whilst that team matured enough to be broken up and sold.

If you were an auditor coming up with a plan to help the club wash its face a bit better whilst owner input continued to service debt and losses that's probably how you'd pitch it.

Any potential optimism I had allowed myself to develop towards the summer business has just dissipated like a weak fart.

Ruthless Tony my arse. Less than zero reason to be in talks with Gladwin of all people. It better be in some non-football capacity! If we weren't buying or selling anyone this summer, we still wouldn't need him. JL only makes sense if we aren't getting a keeper, or if we want enough depth to allow Fisher on loan. Conway only if we don't plan to strengthen the flanks. Rodwell is maybe the most understandable of the lot, though most of us don't think he showed quite enough to warrant it. But keeping him plus all the deadwood is madness.

How are we supposed to make room on the wage bill like he talked about if we won't even start with the out of contract detritus? It's almost enough to make me return to a Mowbray out stance as it doesn't bode well at all for how we will go about the summer.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 6

Just now, roverstdt said:

I think all he is trying to do is to manage expectation. On the surface our budgets are tiny compare to clubs like Leeds, Villa, both Sheffield club, Derby, and so forth. If we end up in the play off it is due to hard work and team spirit. Leutwiller sigining on means nothing to me as why throw 10k a week on Fielding who isn't even going to be starting. Keep developing Raya, Nyambe, Travis, Lenihan, Chapman, Brereton, they are our future. Downing being released i am fine with, i would love to see Wharton in and around the squad. In the meantime Gladwin, has been plagued by injuries and has had issues off the field during his time with us. Give him a short term contract and a chance to prove he can offer something. Make an appearance base salary and then see what happen low risk extension. Rodwell is interesting as i think he has been a good signing however, i would much rather use his salary allocation on bringing in another quality midfielder. But it could be a clever signing if he continues on the hardwork he has already put in. 

All very good points although i'll have to disagree slightly on the expectations as he himself has done a bit to whip that up a notch quite a bit recently so it doesn't reflect well if it's just season ticket push talk.

If he doesn't get any significant backing I hope he's honest enough and brave enough to say he or the owners felt comfortable going largely with what they've already got again, it's a risk to not prune as much deadwood or players with little to contribute and freshen things up whilst you have the opportunity as he does here with people out of contract.

Just now, bluebruce said:

Any potential optimism I had allowed myself to develop towards the summer business has just dissipated like a weak fart.

Ruthless Tony my arse. Less than zero reason to be in talks with Gladwin of all people. It better be in some non-football capacity! If we weren't buying or selling anyone this summer, we still wouldn't need him. JL only makes sense if we aren't getting a keeper, or if we want enough depth to allow Fisher on loan. Conway only if we don't plan to strengthen the flanks. Rodwell is maybe the most understandable of the lot, though most of us don't think he showed quite enough to warrant it. But keeping him plus all the deadwood is madness.

How are we supposed to make room on the wage bill like he talked about if we won't even start with the out of contract detritus? It's almost enough to make me return to a Mowbray out stance as it doesn't bode well at all for how we will go about the summer.

The first totally unnecessary meltdown of the window, well done sir. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

The manager is talking of promotion on the back of comments about signing new players. He's already signed those. You've claimed it's a gamble doing something that he hasn't even done yet.

If the narrative is that they are "effectively new signings" at the end of the window, and if we don't sign anyone of note, then you can criticise him. Until then it's just conjecture and you should take him at face value really. 

So don’t speculate on things and just wait and see?

May as well shut down the messageboard!

Just now, Mattyblue said:

That players we expected to be depart in June without question either aren’t or are in talks to stay.

I just don't get what you mean by we should have seen it coming when Hart was given a new deal. There is no correlation. Anyway, great reports from Harts loan spell

Yes, in talks. We have no idea whats on offer. Could be pay as you play. They may sign elsewhere. 

No need for meltdowns 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

People were complaining when the retained list was not published, now, it is not liked, so more complaints. I wish people would accept, at the moment we are a mid-table championship side, and we should set our targets accordingly.

8 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

We should have seen this coming in January when Hart was given a new deal.

I don't believe for one second that signing was Mowbray's nor was the decision to give him a new deal.

Just now, rigger said:

People were complaining when the retained list was not published, now, it is not liked, so more complaints. I wish people would accept, at the moment we are a mid-table championship side, and we should set our targets accordingly.

Yes but why keep people on the payroll that no other serious championship club would?  

Just now, rigger said:

Wrong. You set your targets to improve as a club. If you don't have ambition to kick on and improve then go and get involved in another sport. That means getting shut of the deadwood and signing better ones. Merely carrying on with players who aren't up to the job on the basis 'we're a mid-table side' and 'that's our lot' will only do one thing - ensure stagnation and decline.

• Like 5

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Great reports from Harts loan spell

Yes, in talks. We have no idea whats on offer. Could be pay as you play. They may sign elsewhere. 

No need for meltdowns 

He’s a league 1 player and good luck to him, but surely no place in our squad if we supposedly have aspirations for the Premier League.

I’m not melting down, just stating a fact, Hart was kept on, so presumably Gladwin et al will be in line too as well.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

That players we expected to be depart in June without question either aren’t or are in talks to stay.

If they are possible red flags pretty soon the talk will be of competition for places again not ready made first team signings.

We still don't know how it'll go maybe the phone in Pune has gone dead again so they are just preparing for the no budget increase scenario, can't blame people being sceptical though this tends to be how the big let downs begin going of previous. 

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Are you saying there’s someone at the club just giving shit players new deals?

Quite clear Mowbray never rated Hart nor had any intention of giving him a run in the team. Quite clear to everyone that he isn't good enough for us. Yet he was signed midway through a League One promotion season and given a new deal this season despite spending it out on loan at garbage League One sides. Bizarre.

It also makes me feel better about Mowbray if I believe he wasn't responsible for that one. Suspect someone else behind the scenes playing lucky dip with ex-Premier League club academy players hoping one pays off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Leutwiler 1 year extension activated....taken up by the club...

Talks ongoing with Conway, Gladwin and Rodwell....

Downing on his way....

So Tony says one thing and does another. Same old same old.

Is he here just because he is another who is prepared to “toe the line” or just in it for the long-term salary cos he knows Venkys won’t sack him.

Desperate, desperate stuff signing Leutwiler up again. Conway means more of the same spineless loyalty that resulted in us not pushing on last season, a superb servant to the club but now past it. His place on the bench could have been taken by a youngster. And don’t even get me started on the utter senselessness of looking to sign Gladwin back on - who is that at the expense of? Or is he Reid’s replacement?

JHC, Mowbray. Sort this shit out or GTFO.

Miserable news.

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

Wrong. You set your targets to improve as a club. If you don't have ambition to kick on and improve then go and get involved in another sport. That means getting shut of the deadwood and signing better ones. Merely carrying on with players who aren't up to the job on the basis 'we're a mid-table side' and 'that's our lot' will only do one thing - ensure stagnation and decline.

You did notice in my original statement I said "At the moment". Just because a club wants to kick-on, it doesn't mean that it automatically will do. A good foundation for success is a close team that believes in itself, bringing in players who may or may not perform for the team will not instill that self belief.