BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Makes me laugh this, if he’d have not been retained yesterday, I doubt I would have read any posts bemoaning TM’s lack of morals for cutting him loose!

No, sad isn't it? We are becoming a cruel society in general. a situation like this shows it. 

I just wonder would you be so ruthless if you or a family member were let go after being hurt at work 

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

I'd rather we focused our efforts on getting promoted asap and with it sorting out our crippling finances which could jeopardise the future of the club than spent our time worrying about being nice and 'doing the right thing'. Good old Rovers eh. Do the right thing, don't break any pots or upset anyone, just carry on being nice and sign/keep players to help them out rather than the club.

I don't see how it in any way impacts on our chances of being promoted or is taking any unnecessary focus from other issues. 

No one is worrying about it or spending time on it only us on here :) 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Just now, Scotland1 said:

2 years since his last game almost by the time he’s fit? Not a word uttered on his progress? Does that not strike you as strange? 

Ya, a bit alright. I haven't heard anything ,but I would guess maybe personal stuff like depression or something. It's tough for players being injured, especially long-term. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't see how it in any way impacts on our chances of being promoted or is taking any unnecessary focus from other issues. 

No one is worrying about it or spending time on it only us on here :) 

The time, money and resources used in negotiating and potentially agreeing a new deal for Gladwin could be allocated elsewhere, as could the cost of his wage. It may 'only' be one player but if true it gives a snapshot into what might be happening on a bigger scale.

When Waggott and Mowbray are telling the Telegraph and Fans Forum about how hard up we are, how hard it is with FFP rules and how tough it is to attract quality players then this becomes relevant.

Just now, JHRover said:

The time, money and resources used in negotiating and potentially agreeing a new deal for Gladwin could be allocated elsewhere, as could the cost of his wage. It may 'only' be one player but if true it gives a snapshot into what might be happening on a bigger scale.

When Waggott and Mowbray are telling the Telegraph and Fans Forum about how hard up we are, how hard it is with FFP rules and how tough it is to attract quality players then this becomes relevant.

Time, money and resources used? Come on ? I doubt it would be the most hard fought negotiation under the circumstances. I  reckon Gladwin would snap their hands off for whatever is offered. I doubt he has any other offers. 

What do you mean by the first highlighted bit? I am intrigued 

How will this move impact on us attracting quality players? 

This is a comical overreaction to be honest 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 2

Time, money and resources used? Come on ? I doubt it would be the most hard fought negotiation under the circumstances. I  reckon Gladwin would snap their hands off for whatever is offered. I doubt he has any other offers. 

If we're the sort of club or manager that goes handing out contracts to players like Gladwin (who likely both isn't good enough nor fit enough for where we want to be) and for whom the decision should be a straightforward one, then it's fair to assume that similar emotional decisions may be made in respect of other players, who might be better or fitter and easier to justify keeping.

Put another way. Every man and his dog expected Gladwin to be shown the door this summer. Mowbray (judging by his comments in the paper) seems to be in the business of keeping players out of a sense of duty or loyalty. As such it sounds as though a stay until January is possible. If he can apply his emotions to decisions for someone like Gladwin then he can do the same for other players. Do it 4-5 times and you've a lot of players and money tied up when they might not be up to the job.

We haven't got to the end of May and this is already the second comical overreaction (I'm counting the outrage caused by Derby signing Shinnie)

• Like 2

Just now, JHRover said:

If we're the sort of club or manager that goes handing out contracts to players like Gladwin (who likely both isn't good enough nor fit enough for where we want to be) and for whom the decision should be a straightforward one, then it's fair to assume that similar emotional decisions may be made in respect of other players, who might be better or fitter and easier to justify keeping.

Put another way. Every man and his dog expected Gladwin to be shown the door this summer. Mowbray (judging by his comments in the paper) seems to be in the business of keeping players out of a sense of duty or loyalty. As such it sounds as though a stay until January is possible. If he can apply his emotions to decisions for someone like Gladwin then he can do the same for other players. Do it 4-5 times and you've a lot of players and money tied up when they might not be up to the job.

Releasing Gladwin now would probably end his career. You can give it the big hard business talk all you want, that's fine. Some managers would go down that route and that is their prerogative. I think Mowbray did the right thing here.

Time will tell if he will be ruthless enough with players who are fit to find clubs and have had the opportunity to put themselves in the shop window over the past few seasons. 

Just now, JHRover said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/premier_league_table/16135948.figures-reveal-amount-rovers-spent-on-agents-fees-during-the-last-12-months/

We spent over £750k on agents which included contract renegotiations. Every deal has hidden costs.

What will the agent charge the player for his services? FIFA’s regulations recommend a commission percentage of 3% of the player’s remuneration, but that has generally not been adopted by the industry. Most agents in England charge 5% commission, though 10% is fairly common around the world. It is open to the club signing a contract with a player to pay the agent’s fee on the player’s behalf (in England this results in a benefit in kind tax liability for the player). It is also open to an agent to represent both the player and the club(s) in a transaction, provided he/she has the full and informed consent of the parties (known as ‘dual representation’), reducing further the player’s liability to his agent. An agent should be knowledgeable in the regulatory and tax implications of doing so and should ensure the agent’s fee is paid in the most tax efficient and regulatory compliant way.

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

If he's on 50k pa then his agent needs sacking immediately 

Why? He hasn't played in almost 2 seasons and hardly set the world alight before that. He is out til at least  January on top of that. 

I would say he is happy to be allowed use the facilities and have the opportunity to still be involved with a club. I doubt he will be pushing back on wages. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I take that, but Mowbray has said even some under contract could leave. 

The Gladwin one is odd, but it would be bad form to release a lad who has been injured for years onto the scrapheap with no chance of finding a club. If it was another player, no one would be making an issue of this. 

At this point, I would take anything Mowbray has “said” under advisement.

It’s what he does between now and the end of the window that counts.

So far he’s on -1 but has time to turn it around.

I am sure it is a minimal amount to tell potential suitors he has a contract. Let him rehabilitate and then move on. Way more difficult to do that without a club. It is what we would hope our employers would do to maintain their reputation and attract people. 

Releasing Gladwin now would probably end his career. You can give it the big hard business talk all you want, that's fine. Some managers would go down that route and that is their prerogative. I think Mowbray did the right thing here.

Time will tell if he will be ruthless enough with players who are fit to find clubs and have had the opportunity to put themselves in the shop window over the past few seasons. 

We release or reject countless players over the course of a season right through the academy to the first team. Each time we turn down a 16 year old prospect or free agent it could potentially end his career or stop it before it even begins.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Why? He hasn't played in almost 2 seasons and hardly set the world alight before that. He is out til at least  January on top of that. 

I would say he is happy to be allowed use the facilities and have the opportunity to still be involved with a club. I doubt he will be pushing back on wages. 

I'm just saying his original contract on joining us will be at least £150kpa.  The next 6 months, I'm not sure.

Just now, OnePhilT said:

Blackburn Looking For Swap Deal In Pursuit Of Rotherham Star Man - 90min by Joe Harvey

Potential swap deal for Will Vaulks, with Richie Smallwood going the other way. Looking at Vaulks's record, he's billed as a defensive midfielder, and scored 8 goals this season, and 8 goals the season before. If we're looking to improve our midfield goal-scoring tally...

Can he pass/run forward? If so we will take him!

Fucking hell. If Gladwin's wage genuinely holds us up from signing players/has the costs associated with it to dip us into breaking FFP then I will eat my hat. Such an overreaction it is unbelievable.

Citing man power spent, time and resources, is laughable. What on earth are you lot talking about that it could be symptomatic of other problems at the club? He probably hasn't earned his spot here but the manager sees a player in there that has been hampered by horrific injuries, so feels as if another short-term deal may benefit us and him. Who in gods name do you lot think will be negotiating this SHORT TERM DEAL? The UN?

To put it another way we spent weeks upon weeks chasing Harry Chapman. He's had hamstring injury after hamstring injury. We pursued him for months and months and then finally signed him. Where was the furore then? We got an injury plagued lad and have given him a chance and most of the people here now shooting down our entire transfer window hopes based on this contract were happy to see him signed. What about the huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge sums of money we must have spent chasing him, acting as an intermediary between him, his agent and another club..........................

Most of us did expect Gladwin to go but he hasn't. So what? He definitely isn't on big bucks and I don't for one instance believe the time and resources being spent on this is in any way going to affect our transfer potential this summer. In fact, I dare say more cost has been occurred to companies other than BRFC in the time spent discussing this as opposed to working efficiently in the day jobs. Wow.

• Like 1

Just now, OnePhilT said:

Because Gladwin has been dire in his few cameos, whereas Chapman has been very good and clearly has potential.

I agree he hasn't been the best player and I've been very vocal in my criticism of him. I wouldn't have even been bothered if they had released him. I certainly don't think him staying merits the reaction it has got though.

You could be forgiven in thinking our transfer window is effectively over reading these past few pages. It's as if we have forgotten the power of context.

Edited by Dreams of 1995

Just now, OnePhilT said:

Some are reading the signals - that the retained list is an indication of our intentions this summer. Truth is, neither are connected, given that Mowbray supposedly doesn't even know what his budget is, yet!

That said, I don't think it's unreasonable to question why Gladwin is potentially receiving an extended contract, no matter how short, given that we all know that he won't be able to play. What is the point of it? It might be a financial drop in the water in the grand scheme of things, but his salary over six months could pay for a number of people who WOULD be able to do a job for the club; Ben Gladwin won't be, will he? The crazy thing is that Mowbray has basically come out and said as much.

Mowbray has also said he is looking for a 'keeper, defender, midfielder, right back and attacker. He's told Sharpe 6-7 signings in the same Q&A he's spoke about Gladwin. So if people can take the information about Gladwin on board - and use that to come up a million reasons to why our summer is going to be quiet - why can't they then comprehend the next snippet of info? 

If Mowbray had come out and said "expect a quiet summer...oh and Gladwin is staying even though he isn't fit" then fair enough. He hasn't. He's set his stall out with regards to what players he wants.

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Mowbray has also said he is looking for a 'keeper, defender, midfielder, right back and attacker. He's told Sharpe 6-7 signings in the same Q&A he's spoke about Gladwin. So if people can take the information about Gladwin on board - and use that to come up a million reasons to why our summer is going to be quiet - why can't they then comprehend the next snippet of info? 

If Mowbray had come out and said "expect a quiet summer...oh and Gladwin is staying even though he isn't fit" then fair enough. He hasn't. He's set his stall out with regards to what players he wants.

Get what your saying.  However It doesn't surprise me people are getting upbeat about little things. Just look back at Mowbrays ludacris comments & loyalties to average Joes last season.... Again i'm not jumping ship just yet.

• Backroom
31 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Get what your saying.  However It doesn't surprise me people are getting upbeat about little things. Just look back at Mowbrays ludacris comments & loyalties to average Joes last season.... Again i'm not jumping ship just yet.

Did he rap the Q&A?

• Like 3

I applaud the club's decision to give Gladwin some security over the next six months to get his life and career back on track. He's had an horrendous two years and that must take it's toll mentally and physically. I don't think for one second this is about giving him a chance to get into our team, it's about doing right by the player. He's unlikely to play again until 2020 so that would be many months without any income for a player who I doubt has earnt that much during his career so far. Give him a chance to get fit and play some U23 games on a very low wage and hopefully he can get himself noticed by another club. If we don't do that then his football career is potentially over. I think it would be different if it was a player like Rodwell who has millions in the bank, but this is a player who has predominantly played in the lower leagues all his career. 

• Like 9