BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

I expect to see Rovers come back fitter after this summer and to see the frailties at the back addressed.

We have a lot of very good youngsters. 

If we sign players better position for position than we have already then no reason why we cannot get into the mix. Sheffield United and Norwich have given hope to every club in the Championship... 

Edited by philipl
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

I admire the delusion that the manager whose team conceded more away goals than any other league club in England last season is somehow going to get us promoted next season. It's best enjoyed within the context that he's been here 2-and-a-half years and he's yet to sign a good defender or keeper. 

Batshit crazy. 

It does seem a stretch I admit but I'm optimistic. TM has made some decent signings, amongst some rotters, and now he knows he needs to focus on the defence and a keeper hopefully he'll find some Dack/Rothwell equivalents (yes he should've realised in January).

He knows that Mulgrew was a huge issue for us defensively, given how much he played him toward the end of the season, and we looked pretty solid at the back with Lenihan and Williams in there for the last few games (quite how Williams became more reliable than Mulgrew is utterly baffling). So a centre half to slot in next to Lenihan and a keeper to push Raya for first choice could see us tighten up enough to make a run for the play-offs imo. 

Still don't think TM is the man to take us up but he ain't going anywhere so I'm going for a positive outlook this summer. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

No one on here is suggesting that we are going up next season. We’re judging players based upon the manager and clubs expectations of going up. That’s completely different. 

The manager has. 'Top6/Top 2' has already been trotted out to keep the masses happy. Talk of the Top 6 will continue all summer. Last summer the target at the club was also Top 6 - Evans admitted it. Mowbray denied there were any targets a week ago, but then he's a known muddier of waters. 

20 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

It does seem a stretch I admit but I'm optimistic. TM has made some decent signings, amongst some rotters, and now he knows he needs to focus on the defence and a keeper hopefully he'll find some Dack/Rothwell equivalents (yes he should've realised in January).

He knows that Mulgrew was a huge issue for us defensively, given how much he played him toward the end of the season, and we looked pretty solid at the back with Lenihan and Williams in there for the last few games (quite how Williams became more reliable than Mulgrew is utterly baffling). So a centre half to slot in next to Lenihan and a keeper to push Raya for first choice could see us tighten up enough to make a run for the play-offs imo. 

Still don't think TM is the man to take us up but he ain't going anywhere so I'm going for a positive outlook this summer. 

I'm going for realistic. ;) 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, philipl said:

I expect to see Rovers come back fitter after this summer and to see the frailties at the back addressed.

We have a lot of very good youngsters. 

If we sign players better position for position than we have already then no reason why we cannot get into the mix. Sheffield United and Norwich have given hope to every club in the Championship... 

It's a very competitive league. Most teams have a chance of the play-offs. Sheff Utd have gone up automatically with about 5 of the same team that went up automatically from League 1. They've spent less money than the £8m Mowbray spent last summer. The difference is they have a very good manager. 

9 hours ago, Butty said:

Charlton can keep Bauer! 

That probably makes his signing even more likely now!

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

No one on here is suggesting that we are going up next season. We’re judging players based upon the manager and clubs expectations of going up. That’s completely different. 

So why is Mowbray even here then? If we aren’t aiming for promotion because of the limitations of the manager (and as a result, the players) then we need a new manager.

I find it hard to believe that ‘the club’ do not have an expectations of promotion.

That absolutely has to be the aim now, every season. If Mowbray can’t deliver it then we need someone who can.

1 hour ago, philipl said:

A step up on Evans and Smallwood but a big enough step?

Kenny Jacket, Nigel Adkins and Darren Ferguson all think so....

In a different class in terms of passing compared to our midfield.  Smallwood wants 2-3 touches and cannot pass forward. For the money, a proper bargain 

Id try get Malik Wilks at the same time 

Edited by Sparks Rover

I'd be concentrating my efforts on finding players who know the Championship and know how to get out of it. Not enough of them in our ranks. We've done the whole thing about signing younger end lads and hoping they make the step up. For those observing Sheffield United, how many League One players did they sign last summer? They signed experienced pros who knew the level. 

First port of call is to go through the free agents from Premier League and Championship clubs and see who we like. Sadly we'll be towards the back of that queue because our manager and entire executive staff are spending the next week in India trying to persuade the owners who are losing 15 million a year to back them to get promotion. Then Mowbray goes on holiday. Deservedly so. But unlikely any serious offers can or will be made until he's back in June. Mowbray's stated desire to get his signings done and dusted early won't happen.

Mowbray needs to have a system and stick to it and build on it. Too much chopping and changing personnel, formations and approaches last season to have the consistency required for promotion.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Williams offers a lot more pace than Mulgrew, and with Lenihan's aggression and often being the first defender to challenge for the ball, we need someone quicker than Mulgrew to sweep behind and pick up loose balls on the occasions where Lenihan misjudges or loses the first challenge. I also suspect that Mulgrew carried a few knocks towards the end of the season, and didn't look the same after back to back injuries during our terrible run of form. I still think he has something to offer, but we definitely need strengthening at the back. 

Just now, Torgeir said:

Williams offers a lot more pace than Mulgrew, and with Lenihan's aggression and often being the first defender to challenge for the ball, we need someone quicker than Mulgrew to sweep behind and pick up loose balls on the occasions where Lenihan misjudges or loses the first challenge. I also suspect that Mulgrew carried a few knocks towards the end of the season, and didn't look the same after back to back injuries during our terrible run of form. I still think he has something to offer, but we definitely need strengthening at the back. 

Fair assessment.

What about putting Mulgrew in midfield? His set pieces contributed a huge amount last season so would be good to get him in somewhere. 

Just now, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Fair assessment.

What about putting Mulgrew in midfield? His set pieces contributed a huge amount last season so would be good to get him in somewhere. 

Maybe... but does he have the legs to cope with the physicality of the game defensively? It would have to be in a 5 man midfield with a couple of enforcers like Travis, Bennett or Reed.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

That probably makes his signing even more likely now!

So why is Mowbray even here then? If we aren’t aiming for promotion because of the limitations of the manager (and as a result, the players) then we need a new manager.

I find it hard to believe that ‘the club’ do not have an expectations of promotion.

That absolutely has to be the aim now, every season. If Mowbray can’t deliver it then we need someone who can.

I think there’s some confusion here. So to clarify, a few (including myself) were critiquing players we’ve been linked with on here last night. But we were judging them on their ability to excel in a top 6 championship team because THAT is the stated aim for next season.

@blueboy3333 came in accusing us of being ‘delusional’ for believing that we could go up (whatever). So I just pointed out the the context of this particular conversation which was far from delusional. No one was saying we were going up, just judging players based on their ability to impact a top 6 team.

In relation to your points. The ‘club’ (via the manager and chief exec) HAVE stated publicly that they want to achieve promotion and are currently seeking an increased budget from our owners to achieve that. 

BUT there’s a huge difference between a club wanting to go up and a club being committed to going up. And, the blame for not going up is only squarely at the feet of a manager whose club is committed to going up.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Fair assessment.

He's no legs for midfield or left back and he doesn't want to play either he's said as much because he felt it would impact on him getting his place in the national team.

24 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

@blueboy3333

BUT there’s a huge difference between a club wanting to go up and a club being committed to going up. And, the blame for not going up is only squarely at the feet of a manager whose club is committed to going up.

Not sure what that even means? Sheff Utd went up spending less than us. Were they committed to going up? 

Edited by blueboy3333

20 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I think there’s some confusion here. So to clarify, a few (including myself) were critiquing players we’ve been linked with on here last night. But we were judging them on their ability to excel in a top 6 championship team because THAT is the stated aim for next season.

@blueboy3333 came in accusing us of being ‘delusional’ for believing that we could go up (whatever). So I just pointed out the the context of this particular conversation which was far from delusional. No one was saying we were going up, just judging players based on their ability to impact a top 6 team.

In relation to your points. The ‘club’ (via the manager and chief exec) HAVE stated publicly that they want to achieve promotion and are currently seeking an increased budget from our owners to achieve that. 

If the manager and chief exec state their ambition is promotion and then go to the owners who say, “no we won’t give you the budget” then the pair of them don’t get a free pass. In fact, their positions become untenable. If they put up with not being backed then they are complicit and ultimately just taking the coin and managing fans expectations. If the manager states his aim is promotion and then signs players (or enters into talks with out of contract players) who are inferior to that aim but carries on regardless then he is culpable. Your scenario would sound like he was trying to put pressure on or blame Venkys. I’m kind of cool with that but if they call his bluff then he would have to walk.

However, it is too simplistic to say Venkys will need to give Mowbray a huge war chest or he cannot be judged and the owners are to blame (for a lack of commitment to promotion). There is a middle ground between spending millions on PL or Top 6 players and only using frees and loans. Sadly, Mowbray May have already thrown away his opportunity gambling on Ben Brereton coming good. Not likely when he doesn’t pick him to start football matches. From their perspective they backed him last Summer and he squandered the money. I’d be wanting a return on that investment first because 60 points should cost £10m.

Whichever way you look at it, any failure to go up is Mowbray’s. He has been backed with money and hasn’t spent it wisely and now wants more to satisfy him own ambitions - suggesting that Venkys are holding him back. (Assuming your analysis is correct).

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead

Let’s be honest here, however you feel about Mowbray, if he says ‘promotion is the aim next season’ (as he has) then he needs to meet that target. 

I also don’t think it’s unreasonable to presume that he believes he will get the budget he thinks he needs to achieve this, if he’s stating his aims so publically.

Edited by K-Hod

If they commit to similar spending as last summer i'e whatever has been paid out of the 10 million for Armstrong and Brereton then at some point they'll want to be seeing something back for it as that would be a c20 club commitment in 2 seasons albeit being paid over 4 or more .  Might be a good go at the top 6 or an attempt at covering it with a good sale or two depending on what mood they are in or who's advice they are taking at that moment.

I think he's got it covered either way though because a play off finish and some nice publicity from those games will delight the owners but if not 20 million from sales would sooth the way and please the club accountants. To me that's how you placate these owners and keep their trust and this time we are operating from a relative position of the strength as the rotten core seems to have been rooted out, there's a work ethic about the place and the squad as it stands has value in it.

That's why I think he's quite relaxed about it and is in no immediate pressure to deliver or not next season so he can get away with a lot of bold words.

Edited by tomphil

1 hour ago, Torgeir said:

Maybe... but does he have the legs to cope with the physicality of the game defensively? It would have to be in a 5 man midfield with a couple of enforcers like Travis, Bennett or Reed.

Did Toogs have legs for the last 4 or 5 seasons..? No, of course he didn't, but he more than made up for that with his ability to make space and find a killer pass. I've often thought Mulgrew might be better placed higher up the field, using his defensive nous and ability to read a game to better effect than is possible from right at the back...

Oh, for a Tugay mark 2!!

Olsson/Routledge do scream "championship experience" which is what TM has been going on about for a few weeks now. I'd worry about wages, but I'd have said the same about Jack Rodwell last season and it seems he isn't earning too much. 

Olsson for me would slot straight in at left-back no questions asked, Bell isn't anywhere near there yet for me, and Williams has to be seen as a centre-back after his excellent displays there.

Routledge would be great because he'd be an actual out-and-out winger, because without Conway, we don't really have one of those these days. (which is such a shame considering our exploits of the 4-4-2, with REAL wingers, crossing the ball into JR and RG)

Just now, JoeHarvey said:

Olsson/Routledge do scream "championship experience" which is what TM has been going on about for a few weeks now. I'd worry about wages, but I'd have said the same about Jack Rodwell last season and it seems he isn't earning too much. 

Olsson for me would slot straight in at left-back no questions asked, Bell isn't anywhere near there yet for me, and Williams has to be seen as a centre-back after his excellent displays there.

Routledge would be great because he'd be an actual out-and-out winger, because without Conway, we don't really have one of those these days. (which is such a shame considering our exploits of the 4-4-2, with REAL wingers, crossing the ball into JR and RG)

Conway has signed an extension and we have Chapman...apart from that, completely agree.