BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, islander200 said:

Fielding would be ok as a number 2 but if we have any aspirations of being in the promotion mix we need better.

I do think we need a new number one as Raya has a lot to work on but he does have big potential if we sell him without a hefty sell on clause it would be madness

Raya can be a brilliant shot stopper but the rest of his game is fairly average. I have no idea if Fielding is better or worse. But I doubt Raya would be happy being a No2 here. 

A year ago I thought we'd have Premier League interest in Raya at this stage. At least tentative interest anyway.

The fact it's Brentford initially enquiring and we don't seem time shutting it down, IMO shows how far his stock has fallen within 12 months. 

I think everyone expected him to kick on after the League 1 campaign, however he's been disappointing.

Personally I wouldn't sell him but I'd be looking to bring in competition to push him on a bit. 

1 hour ago, 1864roverite said:

I am sure TM said Rays was his number 1 so he won’t be sold.

i see the summer disease is well and truly rabid on this site again. When will some learn to chill out?

???

No he said Raya was above Leutwiler in the pecking order. That doesn't mean he is happy with Raya as his No1

Edited by blueboy3333

I’m not a massive fan of Raya as has clangers in him but given his age and his potential to improve id want very good money because as much as anything it’s such a fag having to go out and replenish as well as strengthen

• Like 1

Just now, RoverKyle said:

A year ago I thought we'd have Premier League interest in Raya at this stage. At least tentative interest anyway.

The fact it's Brentford initially enquiring and we don't seem time shutting it down, IMO shows how far his stock has fallen within 12 months. 

I think everyone expected him to kick on after the League 1 campaign, however he's been disappointing.

Personally I wouldn't sell him but I'd be looking to bring in competition to push him on a bit. 

He has not yet got over being deliberately kicked in the face by the Dingle.

He was rushed back after that incident and indeed I think he's only booked in for reconstructive surgery this Summer.

At least see what he's like after that.

If this story is true I wonder where our Gladwin style generosity is? 

• Like 1

• Backroom

One of Bowyer’s best habits was to get players who had JUST been promoted to the PL, but not necessarily good enough FOR the PL.

In one season: Cairney, Evans, Rudy, Conway.

Think we should try applying the same ideas. Another reason I’d love Hanley back.

• Like 3

Raya is a very good shot stopper but not yet the commanding presence needed to help marshal what realistically is an inexperienced defence. I feel if we had that experience then Raya would fare a lot better here. Ideally I’d like to bring an experienced goalkeeper to compete with raya. Someone he can learn from. If Brentford want to pay us a good wedge and some sell ons then I wouldn’t be overly upset, as long as we had a good replacement lined up...but I have doubts over whether we would. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 minute ago, Mike E said:

One of Bowyer’s best habits was to get players who had JUST been promoted to the PL, but not necessarily good enough FOR the PL.

Think we should try applying the same ideas. Another reason I’d love Hanley back.

Being brutally honest I don't think Hanley really fits into that bracket. In both Newcastle and Norwich's promotion seasons he played less than a quarter of the full league schedule. The only times he's been a regular at Championship level is mid table with us and mid table with Norwich last season.  That's probably his level, so if we want to be in the promotion mix we'd at best be bringing Hanley on as a back up option rather than a starting CB. 

Mowbray did publicly criticise Raya at one point. It was probably just to give him a boot up the backside but you never know, maybe he has run out of patience with him.

I wouldn't sell him, he's young and has room to improve over time. It's just if we are prepared to see his development through or if we want to sell and go and buy a more experienced/established keeper.

Raya thing, depends who we bring in to replace him. If it's a John Ruddy-type then, providing we get a good fee with a sell-on, i'm not against it. Raya is a long-term project and if our aim is to go up in the next season or two we probably need better than he is right now. And I doubt he'll be happy to stick and around and play second fiddle after a season as a #1.

Edited by danger19_80
  • Like 1

• Backroom
17 minutes ago, DE. said:

Being brutally honest I don't think Hanley really fits into that bracket. In both Newcastle and Norwich's promotion seasons he played less than a quarter of the full league schedule. The only times he's been a regular at Championship level is mid table with us and mid table with Norwich last season.  That's probably his level, so if we want to be in the promotion mix we'd at best be bringing Hanley on as a back up option rather than a starting CB. 

Same with Cairney, Rudy,?and Evans tbf, although I take your point :)

57 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Completely agree. Sadly I don't think the accountants do. Even though the likelihood of a major profit is surely higher with those sort of players. 

A decent offer and I’m ok with raya going, he feels like he is constantly  one for the future without actually ever being reliable in the present, and we have enough long term projects. It would need to be a better replacement than fielding however, or Hart. John ruddy, Westwood , archer and I think we are winning. The overall feeling of opposition fans that iv spoke to re raya is that - your keeper has a mistake in him. If fans can sense that so can the players both our own and opposition. We need a more steady Eddie at the back for calmness when the storms come such as holding leads late on. 

Edited by Bbrovers2288

2 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Yep I wouldn’t be happy one bit. Keeping Jayson yet letting Raya go? Sane decision is to let Jayson go and get in a decent experienced GK to help mentor Raya. Will be peeved off if this happens.

Sane decision would be to bring in an experienced number 1 and let Raya have 12 months on loan in league one. 

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

I think he could go either way.

He is capable of a world but other than that is very average. Poor kicking and doesn’t command his box at all.

I actually feel a bit sorry for him. He has been let down in terms of competition and coaching, with both the number 2 and gk coach devoid of experience. The lad is practically self-taught. I imagine he spends an awful lot of time watching videos.

A lot of specific calls there. Have you got a source regarding the standard of the goalkeeping coach? Or that Raya is ‘self taught’? Or even that Raya spends a lot of time watching videos? 

What's sadly laughable is that the released players from Swansea who are deemed not good enough for them, would actually look like a decent summer recruitment for us.

Olsson, Fer, Narsaigh, Routledge and Bony. All 5 would probably improve our 18.

Crazy league we play in.

• Like 3