BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Building from the back is how it's done and a good experienced keeper who's a bit more commanding especially to his centre halves HAS to be followed by another centre defender of similar stature and hopefully a good left back.

That's positive building blocks for this team imo otherwise there'd be no point flogging him unless the money is used properly.

Let's remember Souness, not a defensive minded manager, started right there with bringing in Brad for what was already a good and popular keeper in Filan. Turned out a no brainer, going way back we were struggling all over the park under Mackay after a few great seasons but the first thing he did when Jack gave him some funds was get in Mimms, Dobson and a big lump up front in Livingstone.  I'd suggest that's a good way to go right now.

Kenny replaced a good keeper in Mimms with Flowers and Robinson was a solid if not spectacular replacement for Brad.  Simply put if you want to get anywhere you just must have a good reliable safe pair of hands in the sticks.  Raya himself was an upgrade on Steele so the process is ongoing.

Forget all the misty eyed stuff if it was done for the right reasons i'm 100% with it...........as ever though that remains to be seen but we are now not sticking plasters over holes we are in an actual position to upgrade if there is funding.  First time that's happened for a long time.

• Like 4

After a Madonna like performance on the big stage and albeit a bigger stage to come to redeem himself on, it looks like Bauer played himself out of contention with the Rovers fans at least.

Apart from the Sheff U trio (including a player we should never have let go), were there any central defenders in the Championship worth considering?

11 hours ago, adz4d2 said:

Raya is an asset, wed be silly to sell him unless its a mega number from a prem club, hes made some world class saves this year, he has potential to be  spain no1 someday, hes happy here and dont see him going anywhere, tony will bring in someone to give him competition and he'll kick on this year as will a lot of other players this very exciting times for rovers fans and the only way is up. If we spend well next season we'll definitely be in contention for the playoffs. 

Do you genuinely believe he will become Spains number 1 one day? A goalkeeper as far as im aware never played for the Spanish youth teams, who is struggling at the moment to convince he is a competent Championship goalkeeper, whilst in terms of competition, he is up against Kepa, a 70m keeper playing regularly for Chelsea who is one year older, and even De Gea (admittedly after a bad season himself) who is only 28.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I think hanley.  Time on the bench might have done him good. Should be in his prime and I'd have killed for him in a lot of games the season gone.  

Farker did make him captain 

Completely agree he would be ideal. Not perfect but everything we need. Get stuck in,lead the defence and will help lenihan. Also knows the club and possibly available for a reasonable price

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Boroblue said:

Completely agree he would be ideal. Not perfect but everything we need. Get stuck in,lead the defence and will help lenihan. Also knows the club and possibly available for a reasonable price

I’m so against Hanley coming back, do not understand the clamour to get him back here at all, I think he is awful and we wore a mask when we flogged him to Newcastle for 5 mill. Don’t forget also he ran to Newcastle to get away from us, he can jog on as far as I’m concerned 

1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I’m so against Hanley coming back, do not understand the clamour to get him back here at all, I think he is awful and we wore a mask when we flogged him to Newcastle for 5 mill. Don’t forget also he ran to Newcastle to get away from us, he can jog on as far as I’m concerned 

I do not fault Hanley at all for wanting out of Rovers at that sad time in our history. Any player given the opportunity to would have seized it.

The shitfest that we were is the only factor I ever gave in favour of Duffy's behaviour.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

Data is a young lad that lacks confidence and so struggles to dominate his box.. 

I think having a burly experienced centre half in front would help him. As would competing against an experienced older keeper - Kuszak or whatever he's called may a good choice. Someone to help develop him. 

Raya has incredibly good reflexes, agility and positioning.. His kicking and presence are poor

But to me they ARE attributes that can be improved through coaching.. Unlike the others.. 

Keep him and develop him. He's going to be class. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I’m so against Hanley coming back, do not understand the clamour to get him back here at all, I think he is awful 

He would walk into our back 4. Remember mate, we let more goals in than nearly every team in the football league 

• Like 2

Mixed views - he has potential but we do probably need somebody better between the sticks at this given time. Depends on the fee and whether we do have better lined up. Could you imagine going into the season with the Canadian as number 1?

14 hours ago, adz4d2 said:

Raya is an asset, wed be silly to sell him unless its a mega number from a prem club, hes made some world class saves this year, he has potential to be  spain no1 someday, hes happy here and dont see him going anywhere, tony will bring in someone to give him competition and he'll kick on this year as will a lot of other players this very exciting times for rovers fans and the only way is up. If we spend well next season we'll definitely be in contention for the playoffs. 

I am certainly in favour of keeping Raya as I think there is still potential in him, however a future Spain NO.1  is somewhat deluded. He may one day be a lower Premier league team keeper, but not a hope in hell he will be one of the best keepers in World football. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Lie_still_Rover said:

Raya is a young lad that lacks confidence and so struggles to dominate his box.. 

Raya has incredibly good reflexes, agility and positioning.. His kicking and presence are poor

His presence and ability to dominate his box is down to his lack of height. 

He must have been kicking a ball every day for the last 15 years, he flaps on the floor under pressure and his goal kicking from the floor and out of his hands is league 2 standard.  How long do we give him?

Raya would have to go for me.

When I first saw him 3 or 4 seasons ago, I thought we had a real prospect on our hands.  However, two full seasons as our number one and in my mind he's not developing / improving as he should and as good young goalies do.  If anything, I think he's going backwards.

IMO, we also need an experienced goalie coach who's done it and got the tee shirt.  IMO, the community trust, where I think Benson started at Carlisle, is Benson's level.  Pay peanuts and you get monkeys.  IF we sign Joe Hart, can anyone really imagine Benson coaching him!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

He would walk into our back 4. Remember mate, we let more goals in than nearly every team in the football league 

Oh I don't know if he would walk back in, depends how much he wants to leave Norwich and if he pulls the old leg changing bandaged knee trick , then he might hobble in

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Do you genuinely believe he will become Spains number 1 one day? A goalkeeper as far as im aware never played for the Spanish youth teams, who is struggling at the moment to convince he is a competent Championship goalkeeper, whilst in terms of competition, he is up against Kepa, a 70m keeper playing regularly for Chelsea who is one year older, and even De Gea (admittedly after a bad season himself) who is only 28.

I said potential to be one day, and whats to stop him if hes playing for a top prem side, the quality of some of the saves he has made is world class, obviously he has his flaws as well but hes only 24, over the next 10 years he could end up being a top top keeper

1 hour ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

I am certainly in favour of keeping Raya as I think there is still potential in him, however a future Spain NO.1  is somewhat deluded. He may one day be a lower Premier league team keeper, but not a hope in hell he will be one of the best keepers in World football. 

Never say never,stranger this have happened, 10 years ago would you have said gareth southgate would be england manager and get us to a world cup semi final??

2 hours ago, Lie_still_Rover said:

Data is a young lad that lacks confidence and so struggles to dominate his box.. 

I think having a burly experienced centre half in front would help him. As would competing against an experienced older keeper - Kuszak or whatever he's called may a good choice. Someone to help develop him. 

But to me they ARE attributes that can be improved through coaching.. Unlike the others.. 

Keep him and develop him. He's going to be class. 

With the gadgets he can make, he might very well keep a few clean sheets.

7840-1532336916.jpg

Edited by davulsukur
  • Like 4

Obviously disagreement on whether we should look to sell Raya but every player has their price.

What's everybody's magic figure, the lowest they'd personally take to sell him?

Note I'm not asking what people think he is worth in the market, just what you think would be enough for it to be the right call for us. So no need for people to jump in after saying we would never get 10 million for example.

I'd probably give serious consideration to anything at 4 million or over. A very large sell on would have to be a factor in any deal.

• Like 1

Raya is a good shot stopper but is always capable of a Rick , and then capable of the same Rick , .I think there's a very good keeper in there somewhere and it's possible he could go on to PL level  but ,  If we can get a decent fee , then sign someone like Ruddy Carson or Westwood on a free then ....

2 minutes ago, adz4d2 said:

I said potential to be one day, and whats to stop him if hes playing for a top prem side, the quality of some of the saves he has made is world class, obviously he has his flaws as well but hes only 24, over the next 10 years he could end up being a top top keeper

He's got a bloody long way to go.

• Like 1

Just now, davulsukur said:

With the gadgets he can make, he might very well keep a few clean sheets.

7840-1532336916.jpg

Personally I think Data's strength, intelligence and learning capability would be invaluable. I don't know whether league regulations allow us to field an android though, may have to go through the courts to have his sentience recognised first.

Data,_2366.jpg

1 hour ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Im sick of the fact Raya has an erratic kick being a justification. Jason Steele got an assist once you know.

The number 1 attribute you fundamentally want from your GK is shot stopping. 

Who cares if Raya gives the Riverside catching practice a few times a game. Look at the Brentford 1-0 win at home. Few goalkeepers in the world would have kept a clean sheet that day. 

We are not in the Paul Robinson, Tim Flowers, Brad Friedel market anymore. Robbo was probably our last proper goalkeeper and was decent and had a phenomenal kick - Robbo was also the England #1 for half a decade before we signed him thanks to a dodgy backpass got him crucified.

Raya is an instinctive and impressive shot stopper, improve his back 4, start playing a positive style of football without 8 defensive players and for the love of God improve his GK coach and leave him be for 12 months.

Raya is close to, if not in my "top 5 last players to sell" list.

(Lenihan, Dack and Travis being the top 3.)

To suggest that hes handicapped by a poor defence in front of him is misleading, he is much as fault as anyone back there. Many of his errors are due to poor decision making coming for crosses etc, thats his main flaw, and it wont just go away by signing a defender or two. The poor kicking that you touch on is quite a small part of whats wrong in his game, its the constant errors leading to goals that is causing the problem.

You mention the Brentford game, but the times hes won points have been very infrequent compared to his costly mistakes. 

8 minutes ago, adz4d2 said:

If you had said you can see him becoming a good keeper, maybe even a Premier League one, fair enough. But youve suggested that he may not only be capped for Spain, which I would suggest itself is incredibly unlikely, but to become number one. Even if we are saying that there will be a window for him to do so post David De Gea (5 years senior), that would imply that a goalkeeper whose place at a mid table Championship side has become under massive scrutiny due to consistent errors, and one who is being linked with other mid table Championship sides, that his progression will accelerate at a rate that will see him push ahead of a goalkeeper only one year difference in age, who is a 70m signing and regular for Chelsea, and who barring his antics in the Cup Final, has put in regular, consistent performances for a team who finished 3rd in the Premier League and are in the Europa League final, and got to the League Cup final. Not to mention La Liga goalkeepers that Raya will also have to get ahead of.