BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, RV Blue said:

Ruddy - sell for £0 after 3 years

Raya - sell for £10m after 3 years

Which one will benefit the team most and where it wants to go in those three years though ?

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I do love periods where I can just be an observer on this site. 

One week - 'we've extended the contract of our backup keeper??? Why??? We need a better first choice'

Next week - 'why would we sell Raya? We could never replace him!!!'

Different posters have different opinions. Whatever next?

• Like 4

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Reward for getting in the Prem by then because we had Ruddy not Raya - £150m

Ruddy isn’t much better than Raya from what I’ve seen, and I’m almost certain he won’t be this time next year if Raya gets another full season under his belt. You’re also forgetting the risk of giving an ageing player his last big contract, à la Danny Murphy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

I'd only find it odd if it was two different reactions to the same piece of news from the same person a week apart.

Other than that it's just standard message board stuff surely.

Red blood/passion and a tad of fickleness thrown in for good measure, it's a heady brew ?

Whatever gets you off. 

9 hours ago, Stuart said:

By third choice you mean as our U23 keeper?

Think the rule is that you can play 3 over age players at any one time as well as an over age ‘keeper. 

Leutwiler in the 23’s with Raya plus one (experienced) other in the first team squad makes that Unit look a lot more capable of dealing with a promotion push, you think?

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 1

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Think the rule is that you can play 3 over age players at any one time as well as an over age ‘keeper. 

Leutwiler in the 23’s with Raya plus one (experienced) other in the first team squad makes that Unit look a lot more capable of dealing with a promotion push, you think?

It’s a strange situation we find ourselves in. Ideally, no, I absolutely wouldn’t want Leutweiler blocking the development of a young keeper. I’d also be astonished if Mowbray has signed up Leutweiler for the development squad.

We have to accept that we have signed Leutweiler as first team number 2. Which means we are going to need a ready made Championship keeper to be signed on now. Or assume the Raya talk is just bluster and nothing will change in that area.

I just can’t see us now signing another first team keeper without Raya leaving.

Just now, TheWeasel said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17650450.keeper-could-leave-rovers-despite-signing-new-deal/

So I think our pal Jason is very much a contingency if things don’t work out as Mowbray plans, possibly third choice next season or try and command small fee over the summer 

Mowbray:

Mowbray admits that Leutwiler could still leave, should he seek more regular first team football

Leutweiler:

“It means that I work hard and work well for the club, and I’m really pleased. I’ve really enjoyed these past two years.”

4 minutes ago, Stuart said:

It’s a strange situation we find ourselves in. Ideally, no, I absolutely wouldn’t want Leutweiler blocking the development of a young keeper. I’d also be astonished if Mowbray has signed up Leutweiler for the development squad.

We have to accept that we have signed Leutweiler as first team number 2. Which means we are going to need a ready made Championship keeper to be signed on now. Or assume the Raya talk is just bluster and nothing will change in that area.

I just can’t see us now signing another first team keeper without Raya leaving.

Interesting. I know what you mean but I can see them wanting a more ‘ready’ made option in the 23’s (which are effectively the old reserves now). I also think there’s a strong chance that the club and Fisher want him to go out somewhere and play? With Albinson released maybe they don’t see a replacement from the 18’s.

I’m also pretty sure that the last commentary post which Sharpe did with TM before he went to India. I’m sure Sharpe confirms that we’re looking to sign ‘at least’ one goalkeeper? Maybe that was the biggest hint yet that they’re considering selling Raya? Then adding two senior keepers to fight it out? Just a theory...

2 hours ago, RV Blue said:

You do realise that everything in this thread is conjecture?

So we're not signing Luca Toni then? 

Edited by Neal
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

It's a very odd situation to be offering an extension to a player that the manager obviously wants shut of. It must mean he's selling Raya but can't leave himself without a senior GK, and hasn't anyone else lined up yet. 

Very odd indeed.

My interpretation is that Mowbray is playing everything safe pending the outcome of his Pune meetings. If he doesn't know what (if any) money he'll have to spend then he might regret it if he gets shut of Leutwiler, Conway etc. now. So safer to activate extensions and enter into talks just in case.

14 hours ago, AJW said:

Raya is a good shot stopper but is always capable of a Rick , and then capable of the same Rick , .I think there's a very good keeper in there somewhere and it's possible he could go on to PL level  but ,  If we can get a decent fee , then sign someone like Ruddy Carson or Westwood on a free then ....

The difference between Raya and Westwood is not the difference between promotion or not.

We should not be selling 24 year old Raya to bring in a bloke who turns 35 next season, who has just been on the thick end of 30k a week.

It is the complete opposite of the kind of thing we should be doing.

• Like 3

Just now, JHRover said:

Very odd indeed.

My interpretation is that Mowbray is playing everything safe pending the outcome of his Pune meetings. If he doesn't know what (if any) money he'll have to spend then he might regret it if he gets shut of Leutwiler, Conway etc. now. So safer to activate extensions and enter into talks just in case.

I thought the same. @Paul Mani (iirc) was adamant, however, that there would be no delays to transfers caused by Mogga having to go to India to beg for money. 

41 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

The difference between Raya and Westwood is not the difference between promotion or not.

We should not be selling 24 year old Raya to bring in a bloke who turns 35 next season, who has just been on the thick end of 30k a week.

It is the complete opposite of the kind of thing we should be doing.

Depends if they are going to have a real push a promotion and aside from a big one off every five years Venkys have tended to prefer sanctioning wages rather than lots of big fees AND big contracts so you never know.

Not saying it's right or wrong but it does fit in with the way they've done things in the past.