BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Very odd indeed.

My interpretation is that Mowbray is playing everything safe pending the outcome of his Pune meetings. If he doesn't know what (if any) money he'll have to spend then he might regret it if he gets shut of Leutwiler, Conway etc. now. So safer to activate extensions and enter into talks just in case.

Yep - screams uncertainty over budget to me. Yet again.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

I thought the same. @Paul Mani (iirc) was adamant, however, that there would be no delays to transfers caused by Mogga having to go to India to beg for money. 

Where is Madon when you need him?

See both keepers for me if we can improve them immediately. Not bothered about potentially selling one later down the line for potentially 10 million quid.

47 minutes ago, rigger said:

I thought the idea was to improve the team. You shouldn't sell a player till the improvement is in place!

This is a good point otherwise it gives the perfect excuse for money to disappear and any old bodies to be brought in just to make numbers up.

Proper way to upgrade is bring a better one in and move another out otherwise it's just sell to buy and that doesn't always work out well in these parts.

3 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Interesting. I know what you mean but I can see them wanting a more ‘ready’ made option in the 23’s (which are effectively the old reserves now). I also think there’s a strong chance that the club and Fisher want him to go out somewhere and play? With Albinson released maybe they don’t see a replacement from the 18’s.

I’m also pretty sure that the last commentary post which Sharpe did with TM before he went to India. I’m sure Sharpe confirms that we’re looking to sign ‘at least’ one goalkeeper? Maybe that was the biggest hint yet that they’re considering selling Raya? Then adding two senior keepers to fight it out? Just a theory...

I’ve watched Leutweiler play for the U23s already, and to say he was/is an international keeper, he was terrible. :( (Granted, he might have improved but at 30yo he should be capable of being a very decent number two or even number one somewhere - at least an ambition to).

Still not what we need IMHO.

The thing is, similarly to Downing, Mowbray doesn’t appear to want players complaining about being on the bench and knocking on his door (I honestly think this was also his thinking with Travis and Rothwell). Leutweiler seems happy to be perma-sub and this is one less headache for Mowbray. (Even today “he could leave if he wants more game time” - why? He should be pressing to play here but isn’t good enough). Personally I think managers should welcome the challenge of players being upset at being left out because it means you can challenge those on the pitch to step up. Who was challenging Raya and who was challenging Mulgrew? Particularly post-January. In both cases, nobody.

We shouldn’t keep mediocre players because they will gladly be sub and we shouldn’t let players leave on a free just because the want to play.  Seems wrong to me.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Think the rule is that you can play 3 over age players at any one time as well as an over age ‘keeper. 

Leutwiler in the 23’s with Raya plus one (experienced) other in the first team squad makes that Unit look a lot more capable of dealing with a promotion push, you think?

Leutweiler adds nothing to that scenario. Hes a goalkeeper who almost certainly wont feature, even being in the 18 will be be rare, and crucially he has already proved that if he was needed, he isnt up to it.

Did Leutwiler not play well, barring one mistake in the 4 games near the end of the season? I don't recall any criticism of his performances at the time, but now many seem to be repeating the line that "he isnt up to it". 

Personally I would prefer Raya to stay with an experienced Championship keeper in to put pressure on him

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Did Leutwiler not play well, barring one mistake in the 4 games near the end of the season? I don't recall any criticism of his performances at the time, but now many seem to be repeating the line that "he isnt up to it". 

Personally I would prefer Raya to stay with an experienced Championship keeper in to put pressure on him

Made a few good saves against Norwich, but on the whole he was really poor, just no presence about him whatso ever for a supposed international keeper. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Made a few good saves against Norwich, but on the whole he was really poor, just no presence about him whatso ever for a supposed international keeper. 

He is also really slow to get down to shots

97 pages and the season isn't yet over with the European cup games still to go. We are getting bloody good at this lads.

If there's anything Venky's have given us it's ridiculously big threads before anything is actually done. They must have a right giggle at it.

I reckon an easy 200 page target before we make a signing.

54 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

No, made the big error v QPR, was generally terrible coming for crosses, and as @Oldgregg86 said, was really slow to get down, as shown for Norwich's first goal and also McBurnies header.

The problem with bringing in "an experienced Championship keeper in to put pressure on" Raya suggests that the new keeper will not be first choice and thus isnt as good as Raya. Whats the point bringing in a player who isnt an improvement?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

97 pages and the season isn't yet over with the European cup games still to go. We are getting bloody good at this lads.

If there's anything Venky's have given us it's ridiculously big threads before anything is actually done. They must have a right giggle at it.

I reckon an easy 200 page target before we make a signing.

Closer to 300 for me.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

No, made the big error v QPR, was generally terrible coming for crosses, and as @Oldgregg86 said, was really slow to get down, as shown for Norwich's first goal and also McBurnies header.

The problem with bringing in "an experienced Championship keeper in to put pressure on" Raya suggests that the new keeper will not be first choice and thus isnt as good as Raya. Whats the point bringing in a player who isnt an improvement?

Correct as the emergency back up / stand in is already in place and he only likely got those games at the end of the season so TM could have a look at him and let his next 12 months kick in.

If he's satisfied that we could go through a successful season with him as no 1 if Raya left or was out for a spell then i'm as worried as I was when he stated he was happy with the defenders mid way through the season.

My thinking is if he sees sense and brings in a direct challenge to Raya he'll loan out JL, he likes looking after his ex Boro lads after all.

3 minutes ago, J*B said:

Closer to 300 for me.

Mowbray due back from India later this week, I think if we get to 300 pages, then it's clear he didn't get what he was after in Pune.

46 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Ideally he should be an improvement. Clearly. 

13 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Leutwiler made 3 apperances for Canada since his debut in 2016 and I from what I can source is no longer in their squad., so no longer a day off card.

All Championship teams get the day off, no?

Just now, Stuart said:

All Championship teams get the day off, no?

OK, I forgot that. Thanks.

But wanted to also make the point that he's no longer considered even as 3rd choice keeper for the Canada squad

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

OK, I forgot that. Thanks.

But wanted to also make the point that he's no longer considered even as 3rd choice keeper for the Canada squad

And it’s a very good point.

Hardly the kind of keeper that we would be out scouring the world for if he wasn’t already here as a result of his tactical signing last season.

A strange situation. We sign a keeper for what can only been seen as a cynical way to postpone L1 games when our best players were called up - a decision I applaud, by the way. But then seemingly out of some view of rewarding loyalty he is given an extension of his current contract?

Smacks of someone forgetting to check the small print of his “option” that meant it was automatic if he played 5 games or more...

Just now, Stuart said:

And it’s a very good point.

Hardly the kind of keeper that we would be out scouring the world for if he wasn’t already here as a result of his tactical signing last season.

A strange situation. We sign a keeper for what can only been seen as a cynical way to postpone L1 games when our best players were called up - a decision I applaud, by the way. But then seemingly out of some view of rewarding loyalty he is given an extension of his current contract?

Smacks of someone forgetting to check the small print of his “option” that meant it was automatic if he played 5 games or more...

Was that written into his contract?

It seems a very small number of games to invoke an auto extension which could, for example, have been triggered by an injury to GK 1, say by a kick in the face, that didn't allow him to be rushed back into service after missing just 1 game.

16 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Was that written into his contract?

It seems a very small number of games to invoke an auto extension which could, for example, have been triggered by an injury to GK 1, say by a kick in the face, that didn't allow him to be rushed back into service after missing just 1 game.

“Smacks of”. I’ve no idea but he played 5 games and we inexplicably activated his one year extension. He can leave if he wants but he is delighted to be here.