BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

They got rid of Robinson for non football reasons and replaced him with Boros no 3 Steele for non footballing reasons.

One they wanted off the payroll and rid of his influence the other came much cheaper with a view to resurrecting his career and making a few quid out of him in the long run.

It would be really nice to bring a keeper in for footballing reasons this time if there is to be a change and it's not just the usually empty words to calm a gathering storm, you know something along the lines of he's better than what we have !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

This is another thing Venkys have ruined; I've genuinely had nowhere near as much concern about Rovers goalkeepers in my lifetime until they turned up. 

Started properly following in 1992...  ?

Haha..To be honest, I don't think it has been all that great, since Brad. Since Robinson, though, goalkeeping errors really have cost us a lot of points.

Before that, Darren Collier didn't delight, but, at least he only played a few games. John Butcher didn't inspire either....

Generally, we have been blessed with the likes of Sir Roger, Jim Arnold and Gennoe before Jack's money...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, tomphil said:

They got rid of Robinson for non football reasons and replaced him with Boros no 3 Steele for non footballing reasons.

Disagree about Robbo, he was well past his prime by then and had become a liability even at this level. Yes his big wage was a factor, as we couldn't sustain it in the Championship, but if he had been playing a lot better maybe we would have.

When Steele came in I can't say I noticed much difference (agree it wasn't a particularly ambitious replacement though). Was far from a great keeper, but (I'm sure I'll be pilloried for this given the apparent consensus) thought he is villified far more than he warranted.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Leutwiler made 3 apperances for Canada since his debut in 2016 and I from what I can source is no longer in their squad., so no longer a day off card.

Is that card required in the championship

16 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Disagree about Robbo, he was well past his prime by then and had become a liability even at this level. Yes his big wage was a factor, as we couldn't sustain it in the Championship, but if he had been playing a lot better maybe we would have.

When Steele came in I can't say I noticed much difference (agree it wasn't a particularly ambitious replacement though). Was far from a great keeper, but (I'm sure I'll be pilloried for this given the apparent consensus) thought he is villified far more than he warranted.

I remember reading some stats regarding Robbo when we were struggling in  the Prem. His saves to shots ratio was the worst of any keeper in the division.

It seemed to me that any shot from distance was a goal.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

In all seriousness we should be signing him, too assists in division, don’t know why hasn’t been snapped up yet

I think there’s been questions over his attitude. He does come across as a bit of a tosser on social media, and effectively went on strike at the start of the season because he didn’t get a move. Think he was expecting star player wages wherever he went which put the kibosh on any potential transfer.

I genuinely believe he was the “ripped jeans” lad that TM couldn’t gel with upon meeting him.

This is all based on absolutely zero evidence whatsoever though, as per the rules.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 2

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

I think there’s been questions over his attitude. He does come across as a bit of a tosser on social media, and effectively went on strike at the start of the season because he didn’t get a move. Think he was expecting star player wages wherever he went which put the kibosh on any potential transfer.

I genuinely believe he was the “ripped jeans” lad that TM couldn’t gel with upon meeting him.

This is all based on absolutely zero evidence whatsoever though, as per the rules.

Yes, I thought he was TM's ripped jeans culprit too. Based on nothing more than a photo I saw...tatts and piercings too, as I recall...

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

There was rot around the whole club then though with GB keeping it together best he could.  Robbo was on the wane no doubt but he was still better than Steele and that isn't vilifying him he started shaping up ok after a while but was never going to be a good keeper that's a fact that's been born out I think. I can also think of several clangers in his early days and his kicking was the weakest I've ever seen from a pro keeper which caused us all sorts of bother at times.

We needed a good solid experienced keeper there and then to replace Robinson and keep the chain going but it was broken and has never recovered until Raya gave hope.  Still 50/50 with him whether he's flattering to deceive or just hit that point all rookies do and stalled a bit.

Edited by tomphil

35 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Yes, I thought he was TM's ripped jeans culprit too. Based on nothing more than a photo I saw...tatts and piercings too, as I recall...

I’d still take him and make the boundaries known, if he wants a proper career it starts now and don’t mess about 

Wouldn't be a transfer window thread if Madison wasn't mentioned. Like others, a little bewildered he wasnt snapped up by anyone last season as it was him, Marriot and Edwards of theirs that were seen as nailed on to go to the Championship. The other two made it but nobody went for him despite an obviously good record down there. Must have a bit of a billy big balls attitude.

On that note, wouldnt be against going back for Gwion Edwards now that he is back where he started - though admittedly, this is based on nothing more than he always seems to play well against us. Think he can play lb/wb as well.

44 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Wouldn't be a transfer window thread if Madison wasn't mentioned. Like others, a little bewildered he wasnt snapped up by anyone last season as it was him, Marriot and Edwards of theirs that were seen as nailed on to go to the Championship. The other two made it but nobody went for him despite an obviously good record down there. Must have a bit of a billy big balls attitude.

On that note, wouldnt be against going back for Gwion Edwards now that he is back where he started - though admittedly, this is based on nothing more than he always seems to play well against us. Think he can play lb/wb as well.

Yup I’d take him also. Was glad to see Marriott coming on and making the difference in the play off semi final, criminally underused by derby but talent is there. If only he was our big money striker signing last year, sigh 

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

Yup I’d take him also. Was glad to see Marriott coming on and making the difference in the play off semi final, criminally underused by derby but talent is there. If only he was our big money striker signing last year, sigh 

Absolutely and for 7 mil I think we could have got him - what did he go for in the end? I think he was always going to go to a more established Champs side no matter what anyway.

11 hours ago, tomphil said:

There was rot around the whole club then though with GB keeping it together best he could.  Robbo was on the wane no doubt but he was still better than Steele and that isn't vilifying him he started shaping up ok after a while but was never going to be a good keeper that's a fact that's been born out I think. I can also think of several clangers in his early days and his kicking was the weakest I've ever seen from a pro keeper which caused us all sorts of bother at times.

We needed a good solid experienced keeper there and then to replace Robinson and keep the chain going but it was broken and has never recovered until Raya gave hope.  Still 50/50 with him whether he's flattering to deceive or just hit that point all rookies do and stalled a bit.

Exactly why did Ince decide to get rid of the best goalkeeper we have ever had? Didn't see that coming.Never seen any explanation. :angry:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

Absolutely and for 7 mil I think we could have got him - what did he go for in the end? I think he was always going to go to a more established Champs side no matter what anyway.

Marriott went to Derby for just over £3mill apparently. You'd have to assume there are add ons built into that deal though, as that sounds quite cheap. 

Just now, 47er said:

Exactly why did Ince decide to get rid of the best goalkeeper we have ever had? Didn't see that coming.Never seen any explanation. :angry:

They didn't get on allegedly, what a disaster of an appointment Ince was but at least they quickly realised it.  Who'd have thought worse was to come...

• Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

They didn't get on allegedly, what a disaster of an appointment Ince was but at least they quickly realised it.  Who'd have thought worse was to come...

ah......Backed the wrong bloke didn't we?

• Like 1