BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

19 minutes ago, 47er said:

Exactly why did Ince decide to get rid of the best goalkeeper we have ever had? Didn't see that coming.Never seen any explanation. :angry:

Really?

I read an interview where Brad said he decided to leave after a message about the Walker Trusts's disinvestment.

So Brad was just being diplomatic.

I did know there was ill feeling between Brad and Ince at Liverpool, but I had no idea that Brad's departure was something else to be laid at the door of that arrogant prick, Paul Ince....

36 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

Marriott went to Derby for just over £3mill apparently. You'd have to assume there are add ons built into that deal though, as that sounds quite cheap. 

I was trying to find out the price earlier and got an article from the Peterborough chairman where he insisted the fee was being misreported in the press. He seemed to be suggesting it was more than reported. The figure in question was 2-3 million rising to 5 with add-ons. He seemed to feel that made them look desperate, which they weren't.

So, just guessing, maybe more like 4-5, rising to 7 with add-ons. Personally I think that's a lot for a lad who had one good season in League One (we bought League One's best player for just over 10% of that). That's what well-established Championship strikers can move for (Bamford was about 7?). Of course it's also what total gambits like Brereton can move for, so I can't say we shouldn't have spent it there instead.

• Like 1

Just now, bluebruce said:

I was trying to find out the price earlier and got an article from the Peterborough chairman where he insisted the fee was being misreported in the press. He seemed to be suggesting it was more than reported. The figure in question was 2-3 million rising to 5 with add-ons. He seemed to feel that made them look desperate, which they weren't.

So, just guessing, maybe more like 4-5, rising to 7 with add-ons. Personally I think that's a lot for a lad who had one good season in League One (we bought League One's best player for just over 10% of that). That's what well-established Championship strikers can move for (Bamford was about 7?). Of course it's also what total gambits like Brereton can move for, so I can't say we shouldn't have spent it there instead.

Bamford a well-established Championship striker? 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Bamford a well-established Championship striker? 

When he signed for Boro for 5.5 million he had played 61 Championship games over 3 seasons, and 19 Premier League games. Then played another 8 Prem and 39 Championship games before moving to Leeds for about 7 million. He had 36 Championship goals at that point.

So yes, well-established. Especially compared to Marriott, who at one year younger had 2 Championship appearances and zero Prem, selling in the same summer.

• Like 1

Just now, bluebruce said:

When he signed for Boro for 5.5 million he had played 61 Championship games over 3 seasons, and 19 Premier League games. Then played another 8 Prem and 39 Championship games before moving to Leeds for about 7 million. He had 36 Championship goals at that point.

So yes, well-established. Especially compared to Marriott, who at one year younger had 2 Championship appearances and zero Prem, selling in the same summer.

Ah, no he hadn't. He had played 2 seasons in the Championship over 4 years ago. Since then he bounced around hardly playing in the Premier league.

One of the most over rated players in England. I just don't get why some on here always go back to him as an example for a good Championship striker. It makes no sense! He has had 1 very good season and a couple of ok ones. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

Ah, no he hadn't. He had played 2 seasons in the Championship over 4 years ago. Since then he bounced around hardly playing in the Premier league.

One of the most over rated players in England. I just don't get why some on here always go back to him as an example for a good Championship striker. It makes no sense! He has had 1 very good season and a couple of ok ones. 

I think I pretty much agree with everything you put on here, but I think that's a little harsh on Bamford. Before his loan spell at Palace, he'd more than proved himself at Championship level, in terms of goals and his work rate. Admittedly he's gone a bit quiet since then.

Edited by RoverKyle
  • Like 1

Just now, RoverKyle said:

I think I pretty much agree with everything you put on here, but I think that's a little harsh on Bamford. Before his loan spell at Palace, he'd more than proved himself at Championship. In terms of goals and his work rate. Admittedly he's gone a bit quiet since then.

I don't think 1 season is proving yourself, but in fairness it was a good season.

Watch now if he declares for Ireland I will be saying he's brilliant ?

• Like 1

Just now, RoverKyle said:

I think I pretty much agree with everything you put on here, but I think that's a little harsh on Bamford. Before his loan spell at Palace, he'd more than proved himself at Championship level, in terms of goals and his work rate. Admittedly he's gone a bit quiet since then.

Yes, Bamford is class at this level. Movement is a step above anything we have

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Tell it to Wikipedia, it's a hassle typing lengthy messages about stats on my phone. First season, Notts Forest, 2 appearances.

I never said good, just established, which he is. I'd happily take him over Brereton though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Really?

I read an interview where Brad said he decided to leave after a message about the Walker Trusts's disinvestment.

So Brad was just being diplomatic.

I did know there was ill feeling between Brad and Ince at Liverpool, but I had no idea that Brad's departure was something else to be laid at the door of that arrogant prick, Paul Ince....

I'd also been told that Friedel had made some bad investments and was struggling. Randy Lerner had offered to help him set up some soccer schools in America as they are from the same state (although I've never checked).

5 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I'd also been told that Friedel had made some bad investments and was struggling. Randy Lerner had offered to help him set up some soccer schools in America as they are from the same state (although I've never checked).

That’s what I remember hearing. He wasn’t far from bankruptcy and he was still playing! The signing on fee and extra wages at Villa I don’t think he could turn down even if he wanted too. There’s probably some truth behind the fact he wasn’t keen on Ince but he was leaving that summer regardless unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Tell it to Wikipedia, it's a hassle typing lengthy messages about stats on my phone. First season, Notts Forest, 2 appearances.

I never said good, just established, which he is. I'd happily take him over Brereton though.

I wouldn't!

Not after that pathetic dive he pulled off against Villa 

8 minutes ago, Butty said:

That’s what I remember hearing. He wasn’t far from bankruptcy and he was still playing! The signing on fee and extra wages at Villa I don’t think he could turn down even if he wanted too. There’s probably some truth behind the fact he wasn’t keen on Ince but he was leaving that summer regardless unfortunately. 

Always surprises me when players end up bankrupt. Especially someone like Friedel who always struck me as being mature and sensible. 

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

I believe this was reported in the LT at one point. I remember being deeply hurt that Brad, who I never thought would leave for money, left mainly for money. But hearing it was because of financial problems rather than greed softened that blow immensely. Shame it had to happen to him though, it was from trying to help people, not from gambling etc.

25 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I wouldn't!

Not after that pathetic dive he pulled off against Villa 

Quite, imagine if Brereton was prone to the odd pathetic dive. Oh wait...

• Like 1

Brereton hasn't done anything comparable to the dive Bamford pulled off. It was one of the most pathetic things I saw on a football field this season. 

Morten Gamst Pedersen did though. One of the most embarrassing things I've ever seen anyone in a Rovers shirt do. He shamed the club that day.

Just now, oldjamfan1 said:

Morten Gamst Pedersen did though. One of the most embarrassing things I've ever seen anyone in a Rovers shirt do. He shamed the club that day.

I didn't think he did dive Andy. I watched it several times in slo mo and he accidentally clipped his own heel. The Arsenal player was in real close proximity and my reading was that Pedersen genuinely thought he had been tripped.

One thing I'm sure we could agree on though is that Pedersen was a genuine, honest bloke so it seemed out of character.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Actually, he didn't IMO and I'm on a mission to clear his name. If you watch closely, the defender flicks Pedersen's foot into his other leg (with his knee) as he's running. It is really subtle but there is a good angle of it from behind. It was the same technique me and my mates used to use to leg each other up, it doesn't take much.

Edited by Pedro

22 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I didn't think he did dive Andy. I watched it several times in slo mo and he accidentally clipped his own heel. The Arsenal player was in real close proximity and my reading was that Pedersen genuinely thought he had been tripped.

One thing I'm sure we could agree on though is that Pedersen was a genuine, honest bloke so it seemed out of character.

Apart from that dodgy corner at Wigan Tony? ?

It looks like a clear dive to me I'm afraid, although if I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, your explanation is more plausable than Pedro's - Eboue definitely doesn't touch him.

4 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Actually, he didn't IMO and I'm on a mission to clear his name. If you watch closely, the defender flicks Pedersen's foot into his other leg (with his knee) as he's running. It is really subtle but there is a good angle of it from behind. It was the same technique me and my mates used to use to leg each other up, it doesn't take much.

14 minutes ago, Pedro said:

That crafty 'foul' is very prevalent in the game today but now camera angles can pick it up easily. Refs still usually can't, but it's at such speed they have a difficult task.

FREE MGP! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

He did punch the ball into the net against Newcastle at St James' Park as well. I do agree though that generally he did seem a genuine, honest bloke.

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Like I say....that's a plus for me and he hates Sean Dyche which is another plus

A class operator at this level and I'd expect 15-20 goals if he signed.

He has gotten to double figures twice in his career at this level, 17 goals in 14/15 and 11 goals in 17/18

1 Premier league goal in 30 appearances in between that

He is 25 

Not a a class operator for me! All hype from when he was a young English (possibly Irish soon) player at Chelsea 

• Like 2