BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Possibly Bellamy?

Bellamy is the best striker we had since Shearer. Absolutely sensational on his day, could (and did) win games on his own. Quality he showed was up there with Henry or Anelka.

If he'd had half a brain and more luck with injuries could have had a much better career.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Definitely a similar impact him and Speedie are the types that grab games by the scruff of the neck and drag everyone else along, he did similar at Cardiff to what Speedie did here I think.

Oh for a signing along those lines now, a bold inspirational punt but players of their mentality are few and far between now sadly.

Duncan McKenzie, all those years ago. Pure quality, even at his age then.

• Like 6

• Moderation Lead
2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't like any player diving, but you have to admit that Bamfords was particularly pathetic? 

All dives are particularly pathetic.

Ultra short term impact I don't think you can do better than Stead. Within 5 months pretty much kept us up, for peanuts from Hudds. Fair to say if he hadn't have signed and scored those goals we'd have been nailed on for relegation and we'd have never seen the likes of Bellamy... Though Bellers is one of my favourite ever Rovers players. I've seen him do things no other Rovers player has ever done, including Shearer. 

Edited by Neal
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

Have an old VHS of it somewhere and i'm sure Lennie Lawrence was doing some co commentary and came across as the only one giving any credit to Rovers from start to finish.

By the way Speedie 'won' the pen he conned the defender into helping him over... What a player for us he was not sure we've had anyone since made such an impact in such a short time with the club.  Proper Rovers cult hero.

He doesn't surpass Craig Bellamy's influence, but I remember Eyal Berkovic proved a little shot in the arm in our 2001 promotion for Souness. Just what we needed when the pressure was increasing, and we were finding it harder to unlock defensive teams. Was unplayable against Grimsby in the run in.

Had the Turkish saviour not arrived, I think Berkovic would have signed permanently, and perhaps played a bigger part in our history.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, lraC said:

Duncan McKenzie, all those years ago. Pure quality, even at his age then.

Ah I've just remembered Steve Archibald, another absolutely top notch player for us in the season we had him.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, DeeCee said:

What a day out that was!

I had both this and the Worthy final recorded on VHS.

As major triumphant games from our past, Rovers should have the full coverage of both games preserved on iPlayer to view on demand.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Doaksie said:

He doesn't surpass Craig Bellamy's influence, but I remember Eyal Berkovic proved a little shot in the arm in our 2001 promotion for Souness. Just what we needed when the pressure was increasing, and we were finding it harder to unlock defensive teams. Was unplayable against Grimsby in the run in.

Had the Turkish saviour not arrived, I think Berkovic would have signed permanently, and perhaps played a bigger part in our history.

I was just thinking about him, superb signing and contribution.  Wonder why you don't see many others look to skip right across the edge of the area looking to a slide a ball through or win a free kick.  Gave defenders absolute nightmares.

• Like 3

Just now, tomphil said:

I was just thinking about him, superb signing and contribution.  Wonder why you don't see many others look to skip right across the edge of the area looking to a slide a ball through or win a free kick.  Gave defenders absolute nightmares.

His overall midfield reading of the game wasn't as good as Tugay but I thought he had the best final, short through ball I've seen from a Rovers player.

If the striker made the run he would find a gap to find him. Admittedly it was against second tier opposition but I thought he was brilliant, clearly a player operating a level below the level he should have been playing at.

• Like 1

Just now, Hasta said:

His overall midfield reading of the game wasn't as good as Tugay but I thought he had the best final, short through ball I've seen from a Rovers player.

If the striker made the run he would find a gap to find him. Admittedly it was against second tier opposition but I thought he was brilliant, clearly a player operating a level below the level he should have been playing at.

Berkovic was the consummate lock picker.

3 hours ago, tomphil said:

Have an old VHS of it somewhere and i'm sure Lennie Lawrence was doing some co commentary and came across as the only one giving any credit to Rovers from start to finish.

By the way Speedie 'won' the pen he conned the defender into helping him over... What a player for us he was not sure we've had anyone since made such an impact in such a short time with the club.  Proper Rovers cult hero.

Craig Bellamy perhaps, equally short and feisty, always 100% committed and a top player to boot.  (Just noticed all the other mentions of Bellamy DOH!!!!!!)

Edited by blue_n_white99
  • Like 2

Surprising stat that out of all clubs playing across the 4 league divisions in 18/19, there are only 9 that haven't played at the new Wembley Stadium, Rovers being one of the them.

Opened in 2007. I guess there are a lot of play-offs and semi-finals played there. Still thought there would be more that haven't been.

Before anyone says it, there are only 2 clubs with a game against Spurs as their only visit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Another thought from watching that Play-off Final------how many players from the current squad would get in that 1992 side? My guess is none!

Quite.

And just to add a bit more vinegar to the sponge in terms of how far we have fallen...most of our current side wouldn't make the struggling team from the previous season, that was heading for the drop until Jack's transfer deadline rescue package.

Gennoe, Atkins, Moran, May and probably Sulley would keep their place, as would Sellars, Garner, Wilcox and probably Gayle..

Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

Quite.

And just to add a bit more vinegar to the sponge in terms of how far we have fallen...most of our current side wouldn't make the struggling team from the previous season, that was heading for the drop until Jack's transfer deadline rescue package.

Gennoe, Atkins, Moran, May and probably Sulley would keep their place, as would Sellars, Garner, Wilcox and probably Gayle..

Not sure on that one as one of the reasons we struggled badly was Gennoe, Garner and Sellars spent a lot of time out injured.

Graham and Dack would've been cracking replacements although I think i'd take Mark Grew over Raya.

Also even Lenihen and Mulgrew would've been decent in place of Young Keith Hill and Bob Dewhurst,  Evans for Shepstone as well.   We really were down to the bare bones then with no academy graduates to call on.

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Well whaddya know, an actual link. Prepare to be underwhelmed! Think this guy's name has come up before though.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17656256.rovers-eye-non-league-hot-shot-to-boost-striking-ranks/

If he's 21 , never played league football and isn't better than Joe nuttall then why bother 

• Like 2