BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

No you have to list at least 6 players most of us have never heard of or know little about and then express scorn when someone asks who. Then if we're even vaguely linked with one of them you claim credit for having spotted their immense talent 

• Like 2

Just now, gumboots said:

No you have to list at least 6 players most of us have never heard of or know little about and then express scorn when someone asks who. Then if we're even vaguely linked with one of them you claim credit for having spotted their immense talent 

And then take the missus to the cinema on the meerkat job....simples.

• Like 1

I’m giving odds of even money for a new transfer thread too be opened by the end of May due too this one going off topic. Max stake of 50 pound I’m not made of money like Merce.

12 minutes ago, Butty said:

I’m giving odds of even money for a new transfer thread too be opened by the end of May due too this one going off topic. Max stake of 50 pound I’m not made of money like Merce.

Evens? Buying money. I'll have 50.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lraC said:

Duncan McKenzie, all those years ago. Pure quality, even at his age then.

Ahh super Duncan mckenzie, I’ll never forget that goal he scored

at Mansfield ,then jumping on the fence to celibrate in front of the rovers supporters,in our promotion season.class player.

Edited by bluefred
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Would think there must be a reason he’s being linked with other Champ/League One clubs...

You never know, and you have to buy a ticket if you want to pick a winner.

I do understand your cynicism, but that’s quite the balls out position to take based on no evidence whatsoever! ?

Godspeed!

That's because for every Ian wright or Jamie vardy there are 500 Jordan slews and Mitchell candlins. 

This lad has scored 10 goals in 30 odd appearances for a team in the 7th tier of the pyramid. Ive not checked but I bet wright and vardy had nearly a goal a game ratio over more than a season to attract such interest.

I'm not saying we should never give non league players a chance and I'd love to be proved wrong but his age and stats don't read like the next hidden gem.

I will be following him and see where he ends up. My guess would be League two at best

8 hours ago, renrag said:

Yes! I’ve watched the version recorded by relatives in Melton Mowbray, and a recording of Granada’s broadcast and Don Mackay was more balanced.

Sorry, my sarcasm mustn't have been clear enough. I meant that a Northwest station's coverage with our ex-manager doing the commentary would probably be biased in our direction, much like the Midlands coverage would have been biased to Leicester. We would think the Granada version with Mackay was balanced, because we're biased to Rovers too.

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

That's because for every Ian wright or Jamie vardy there are 500 Jordan slews and Mitchell candlins. 

This lad has scored 10 goals in 30 odd appearances for a team in the 7th tier of the pyramid. Ive not checked but I bet wright and vardy had nearly a goal a game ratio over more than a season to attract such interest.

I checked Vardy, because I figured the same as you. Thing is he didn't play in the 7th tier until he was 24 (25 by the time the season finished like Malkin's now has at 21) so I couldn't really draw comparisons properly. He did smash them in during his one season there though, 31 goals. Season before he was in Conference North, hitting 26, and there's no stats before then. He was actually pretty 'old' when he even reached the Conference.

Who knows if in 3/4 years this kid would also be hitting those numbers? Not enough to convince me we should get him though. It's supposed to be for our development squad now that Nuttall is often with the senior team (and may be loaned out) but I don't see why we can't find a younger talent with more potential. Must be some decent players getting released from the youth team of Manure, Liverpool, Arsenal etc, as we've had joy with before. You never know what the scouts have seen in this lad though. Ultimately it won't really matter if it fails anyway, just seems an odd one.

Wrighty was 21 when he signed for Greenwich Borough btw. No stats available, and I don't know what amateur tier they were at. Signed for Palace within a couple of months.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I checked Vardy, because I figured the same as you. Thing is he didn't play in the 7th tier until he was 24 (25 by the time the season finished like Malkin's now has at 21) so I couldn't really draw comparisons properly. He did smash them in during his one season there though, 31 goals. Season before he was in Conference North, hitting 26, and there's no stats before then. He was actually pretty 'old' when he even reached the Conference.

Who knows if in 3/4 years this kid would also be hitting those numbers? Not enough to convince me we should get him though. It's supposed to be for our development squad now that Nuttall is often with the senior team (and may be loaned out) but I don't see why we can't find a younger talent with more potential. Must be some decent players getting released from the youth team of Manure, Liverpool, Arsenal etc, as we've had joy with before. You never know what the scouts have seen in this lad though. Ultimately it won't really matter if it fails anyway, just seems an odd one.

Wrighty was 21 when he signed for Greenwich Borough btw. No stats available, and I don't know what amateur tier they were at. Signed for Palace within a couple of months.

Vardy is hard one to judge because he had alot of off Field issues and his tag etc. 

My argument is Ultimately based on nothing but a gut feeling. Will just have to see how he does over the next two to three seasons but I agree with you, we should be looking at younger lads that have been released from top academies with proper footballing educations to develop

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bluefred said:

at Mansfield ,then jumping on the fence to celibrate in front of the rovers supporters,in our promotion season.class player.

I remember that day as if it was yesterday ...Easter Saturday and it was a beautiful day !! The 2nd of 3 1 nil wins over Easter !!!

Happy Days 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Not to the level of previous mentions but I always thought john Curtis was a steady defender the short time he was here

Unusual one that. Went from playing every game in our promotion season to hardly ever being seen again the next. (as I remember it!)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 47er said:

Unusual one that. Went from playing every game in our promotion season to hardly ever being seen again the next. (as I remember it!)

I liked Curtis but that's what happens when you upgrade, no room for sentiment when you want to progress.

I hope you're reading Messers Mowbray and Waggot

I noticed there was a photo on Twitter of Mowbray and Waggott sat giving a media interview in Pune. I don't think it is arranged by the club. I wonder whether this interview will be available online anywhere?

12 hours ago, bluefred said:

Not certain, but that might have been Grimsby. I think he was born there and something rings a bell abut him scoring two, in his home Town. 

13 hours ago, bluefred said:

Don’t forget Ozzie ardeles (how ever it’s spelt ).

He had practically zero impact though - despite his stellar career. Nicky Marker made sure of that by crippling him after just a few minutes of his debut at Plymouth.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I noticed there was a photo on Twitter of Mowbray and Waggott sat giving a media interview in Pune. I don't think it is arranged by the club. I wonder whether this interview will be available online anywhere?

The Sakal Times were tagged in the photo. I just checked their website, nothing published as yet...