BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Decent business by Stoke. Gotta love that sweet, sweet parachute money. Queue meltdown on here in 5...4..3...

Stoke City are closing in on a triple signing of free transfers.

The Championship club are close to agreeing deals for goalkeeper Adam Davies, striker Lee Gregory and midfielder Nick Powell, Sky Sports News understands.

Davies has also been offered a new contract with Barnsley after an impressive stint as number one in their promotion season back to the Championship, but he looks set to join Stoke instead.

The Potters want to sign a new goalkeeper with Jack Butland – a target for Bournemouth – facing an uncertain future at the Bet365 Stadium this summer.

Gregory, who scored 13 goals for Millwall in the Championship last season, has informed the Lions of his desire to find a new club with his contract at the Den expiring on June 30. And Nathan Jones’ side are also understood to be close to agreeing terms for Powell, who is out of contract at Wigan next month.

13 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Decent business by Stoke. Gotta love that sweet, sweet parachute money. Queue meltdown on here in 5...4..3...

The Championship club are close to agreeing deals for goalkeeper Adam Davies, striker Lee Gregory and midfielder Nick Powell, Sky Sports News understands.

Davies has also been offered a new contract with Barnsley after an impressive stint as number one in their promotion season back to the Championship, but he looks set to join Stoke instead.

The Potters want to sign a new goalkeeper with Jack Butland – a target for Bournemouth – facing an uncertain future at the Bet365 Stadium this summer.

Gregory, who scored 13 goals for Millwall in the Championship last season, has informed the Lions of his desire to find a new club with his contract at the Den expiring on June 30. And Nathan Jones’ side are also understood to be close to agreeing terms for Powell, who is out of contract at Wigan next month.

Meh, I would be disappointed with that calibre of player to be honest. Powell would have been fun to have though

Edited by Fraserkirky
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Waggy76 said:

I remember that day as if it was yesterday ...Easter Saturday and it was a beautiful day !! The 2nd of 3 1 nil wins over Easter !!!

Happy Days 

It was at Wrexham not Mansfield 

6 hours ago, Craigman said:

Not sure who he is trying to impress. Granted, it was an excerpt out of context but...

- Pretty much shop-windowing Dack

- Bigging up how he has developed Rothwell

- Buy small and re-invest

I think we can safely forget about bringing in any ready made Championship talent. It’s all about making money out of players buy scouting the next Dack.

If it were that easy everyone would be doing it.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ok, well firstly its an opinion piece in the LT, not actual comments from anyone at the club. Secondly, as JH points out, players wanting more than they are worth, even if that is within our budget, is them pricing themselves out of a move. Look at Man u for an extreme example of where paying players more than they are worth can lead too. 

Never said it came from the club, but Rich Sharpe does know more about the ongoings at the club than I do. I just found that comment particularly curious. 

The overall structure of the deal is what matters. Let's say we offered Charlton £500k + Bauer £10k p/w over three years when we approached them last summer. What's the difference between that and paying Bauer £10k p/w plus a sign-on fee of £500k paid on top of his wages for the next 36 months? 

If he's asking for more than we think he's worth, then onto the next target on our list of course. 

Edited by Torgeir

Someone explain how selling big I.e your best players and buying small is going to make us better , stronger and get us anywhere near the play offs.

So all I heard was dack is available for transfer, don't expect any decent replacement because we are spending nothing and everything I said before today was horseshit.

Fucking sick of having my hopes smashed to bits. We are where we are for the foreseeable future if we are lucky. 

Wouldn't be as bad if you could spot a fucking talent when its staring you in the face tony

FOV

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 1

Just now, philipl said:

Bauer's agent

Well if he doesn't sign I'm sure tony has scouts ( probably some lad he went school with ) at Wembley for the fa vase final. Chertsey towns reserve keeper anyone. Heard he's a good shot stopper so would fill in nicely at left wing when he's had a three year bedding in period at rb in the u23s

FOV

Edited by Oldgregg86

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

Well if he doesn't sign I'm sure tony has scouts ( probably some lad he went school with ) at Wembley for the fa vase final. Chertsey towns reserve keeper anyone 

FOV

Based on the Doncaster game, Bauer is rubbish.

Just now, philipl said:

Based on the Doncaster game, Bauer is rubbish.

We need to sign jack Bauer because selling dack and replacing him with kids from nantwich is criminal

Edited by Oldgregg86

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Very good, proactive business by Stoke. Adam Davies would have been a very good signing for us, Powell a no go (doubt hed come and we have Dack) and Gregory would have been decent but not groundbreaking. Sheffield Wednesday are apparently signing Bidwell on a free, he would have been a very good upgrade on Bell.

The free agent market is always key at this level, especially for clubs like ourselves. Unfortunately, the best ones tend to be snapped up fast which is at odds with our system of making the manager wait to fly out to India a couple of weeks after the season before he can start to do deals.

Another thing to take from that interview was the opening comment from Mowbray. We won't be fishing in a big pond for players this summer, because in his view the new scouting system won't be up and running. He says it will take another 2, 3 or 4 years to deliver results. I'm afraid that's unacceptable if true. We're already 2 years into his project which is longer than many managers get, he's been on about the super new scouting system for months and it still isn't ready to deliver results? At a club that appears to be planning on developing and increasing value on players that is poor. Mowbray must be very relaxed and confident in his long term future if he can take such a long term view. Most managers these days last a couple of years if they are lucky whereas Mowbray won't even have got his scouting up and running by year 4 or 5. Truly bonkers. 

We then move on to my other issue. It seems people are confusing two things on transfers. It is one thing to do clever transfer business, have assets on the books worth money, be able to sell those players if needed and make profit on player trading. It is another when the sole purpose of transfer strategy is to recruit on the cheap to try and turn round profits. The former was our success story in the Premier League days with Bentley, Bellamy, Santa Cruz - players brought in who performed immediately, delivered success for the team and were then let go when a big offer came calling and they wanted out. Everyone bar Barcelona and Real Madrid are vulnerable to selling their best players from time to time and the key is to reinvest well. Good transfer business but going hand in hand with a successful team. Big difference between that and then the sole remit of player trading being to try and increase squad value with a view to a few big sales every now and again. Big difference. Mowbray's comments in that interview lean towards the second, in which case promotion might be some time off.

• Like 9

It’s starting to sound more and more like ToMo has this job for as long as he wants it.

He talks as though time is well on his side. Let’s hope the Venkys accountant feels the same way.

I hope everyone is happy treading water. The rug has been pulled. I dare someone tell me I'm over reacting because this is the start of another venky slippery slope.

And Tony is a self serving fraud. 

It isn't a model

It isn't a plan 

It's a tax dodging business/propaganda tool with no ambition

Edited by Oldgregg86

Just now, DeeCee said:

Calm down mate ?

I'm fumin. 

How is this any different to selling cairney, gestede, Rhodes , Hanley, Duffy and replacing with petschi, koita, delfounso, brown,  varney etc.

We all know what happens next

Edited by Oldgregg86

Not a surprise is it, despite what TM said we were never going to sign 3 or 4 ready made championship players to go straight into the side. Davenport, Chapman & Samuel will all play more of a part next season, they are our 3 main signings.

Ths others will be young lads that we'll still be scrambling around to sign on August 8th, who will come in and wait there turn for 6 months before being thrown in for the last 5 or so games next season, before playing more of a part the season after, then rinse and repeat until the end of time, or at least until venkys/Mowbray get bored anyway.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 2

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

Not a surprise is it, despite what TM said we were never going to sign 3 or 4 ready made championship players to go straight into the side. Davenport, Chapman & Samuel will all play more of a part next season, they are our 3 main signings.

Ths others will be young lads that we'll still be scrambling around to sign on August 8th, who will come in and wait there turn for 6 months before being thrown in for the last 5 or so games next season, before playing more of a part the season after, then rinse and repeat until the end of time, or at least until venkys/Mowbray get bored anyway.

If this in fact true then it really makes even less sense why we didn't blood in more youngsters in the last meaningless four fixtures.

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

Whilst the likes of dack, rothwell, Raya and lenihan get cherry picked. The season after davenport, Travis, Chapman get signed why the other young potential gets promoted ( if they aren't like Sam Hart and actually are good enough) whilst Bennett, mulgrew, conway and Evans play until there 40 .

Aiming for top two. Don't make me laugh. We will do well to be in this league in two seasons time then it's harder to attract players with less income and all the money from the dack and co transfers swallowed into a blackhole of high Interest and dirty hands.

No matter what shit comes out of tonys mouth and from India we are a team that will be trying to stay up and mid table will be an excellent season and the best we can realistically hope for

Top two, ready made signings, they players know we need better, reigning the venkys in, Venkys want to take us back were we where when they took over , money left over from previous transfer windows. 

Please Tony. Please explain all this absolutely tripe you have come out with. 

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 2

Open and Honest Tony is not doing or saying anything unexpected. Tony's priority is the preservation of Tony. 

For the Indian journos he'll talk about 'selling a Dack' because the owners want the club self-sufficient, buying low and selling high. 

For the fans back home he'll talk about 'bouncing through the leagues' or 'doing a Norwich' because we all want promotion. 

It's all bollocks because he doesn't have the ability but it keeps everyone dreaming of a golden future. 

• Like 2