BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

Welcome to the mad house by the way ?

Quite the introduction. I look forward to be lambasted left right and centre.

Just now, tomphil said:

I think a Fielding signing would be a big pointer of the way things will pan out this summer, good back up but given the injury problems he carries he's unlikely to provide much direct competition to Raya.

Also on that note would he be another who wouldn't get a much of a sniff of a deal anywhere else and someone feels sorry for him type signing.

Fielding would be awful IMO. I really don't think it's the right direction. If he's to be Raya's 2nd it makes more sense, but if Raya goes and FF is Number 1, I think our only aim can be survival again.

Probably pretty cheap wages though I'd imagine which is at least one positive.

Just now, JoeHarvey said:

Quite the introduction. I look forward to be lambasted left right and centre.

There's a bit in a post above that will probably ensure you will be...... ?

4 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Someone explain how selling big I.e your best players and buying small is going to make us better , stronger and get us anywhere near the play offs.

So all I heard was dack is available for transfer, don't expect any decent replacement because we are spending nothing and everything I said before today was horseshit.

Fucking sick of having my hopes smashed to bits. We are where we are for the foreseeable future if we are lucky. 

Wouldn't be as bad if you could spot a fucking talent when its staring you in the face tony

FOV

It won't do we've seen it umpteen times before and the only was you progress is invest a big lump of it in something else resembling quality, upgrade or stagnate then go backwards.

If he does sign then I'd hope they both have to fight it out for the jersey and the best man wins

Shame for big Jayse, can see him going back to League One, or the MLS for a small fee if Frankie Fielding comes in.

Just now, tomphil said:

It won't do we've seen it umpteen times before and the only was you progress is invest a big lump of it in something else resembling quality, upgrade or stagnate then go backwards.

Agreed. My posts after initially reading may seem OTT but that's because I can see which way we are heading. 

It's ok citing Norwich and Brentford as models to aspire to . Tony's signings are so far off that level of quality it's untrue. They can't get in his 11 and he knows he needs upgrades. How is selling dack and replacing with his 1 in 10 success rate of signings going to do anything but make us plummet. 

We will never grow and develop doing that it's going to be at best a gradual decline.

That short interview spelt out the next decade of being a rovers fan and I for one don't look forward to more bowyer style years

• Like 1

Agreed. My posts after initially reading may seem OTT but that's because I can see which way we are heading. 

It's ok citing Norwich and Brentford as models to aspire to . Tony's signings are so far off that level of quality it's untrue. They can't get in his 11 and he knows he needs upgrades. How is selling dack and replacing with his 1 in 10 success rate of signings going to do anything but make us plummet. 

We will never grow and develop doing that it's going to be at best a gradual decline.

That short interview spelt out the next decade of being a rovers fan and I for one don't look forward to more bowyer style years

I get the impression he might be going there with words of Dacks agent(s) ringing in his ears worried their client might be priced out of a move in the not too distant future. He just getting it put out there that it might be a good idea to deal but he'll need the money to bulk out the squad and create more value.

The words promotion or play offs won't come into it he's cleverly buying more time imo offering the 'increase book value' model so I think It would be down to them to say we want a real push and we'll back you.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, JHRover said:

Having only listened to that 2 minute clip of him talking it appears he is very much focused on a plan of buying cheap, developing, then being in a position to cash in and make a profit down the line. Probably music to Venky ears. It doesn't sound as though we're going to be going shopping for 28-30 year old proven players who can hit the ground running more than a 21 year old out of League One.

That's what will have been recommended in those audits Venkys paid for. They're the rules and TM has to obey them. Considerably reduces the chance of promotion which would solve all these financial issues.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stuart said:

Not sure who he is trying to impress. Granted, it was an excerpt out of context but...

- Pretty much shop-windowing Dack

- Bigging up how he has developed Rothwell

- Buy small and re-invest

I think we can safely forget about bringing in any ready made Championship talent. It’s all about making money out of players buy scouting the next Dack.

If it were that easy everyone would be doing it.

Thought the same listening to that.  Doesn't sound like we are in the market for proven champ players at all - not even free ones !

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Thought the same listening to that.  Doesn't sound like we are in the market for proven champ players at all - not even free ones !

I’d agree. Has anyone seen the full video? It’s very hard to quantify exactly what he’s saying without hearing the questions and the context...

Let's be fair, if Mowbray says he has £x million to spend then prices will go up, I don't think they have ever set a fixed budget, but they have usually backed the manager if he has wanted a certain player and makes a good case for signing him.

I don’t see that budget stretching to ready made championship players now though...the model is buy young, develop and if necessary, sell on to offset the expense.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Let's be fair, if Mowbray says he has £x million to spend then prices will go up, I don't think they have ever set a fixed budget, but they have usually backed the manager if he has wanted a certain player and makes a good case for signing him.

I don’t see that budget stretching to ready made championship players now though...the model is buy young, develop and if necessary, sell on to offset the expense.

I actually don't mind that model, it's more sustainable than giving ridiculous final pay-days to ageing ex-premiership players. I suppose the hope is that all the pieces of the jigsaw come together at the right time and we somehow squeeze in a promotion at some point. Brentford have had a couple of sniffs at the play-offs previously without ever quite getting there.

Like it or not this is where we're at (like many other clubs if we're being honest).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tomphil said:

The words promotion or play offs won't come into it he's cleverly buying more time imo offering the 'increase book value' model so I think It would be down to them to say we want a real push and we'll back you.

If you believe what Mowbray says in his interviews at least one of the owners was looking for a real push last season but Mowbray put the brakes on and talked them out of it. I'm sure things should be the other way around?

34 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17661037.rovers-boss-on-competing-with-rivals-in-transfer-market/

"You have to mould your team, be cleverer and cuter than other teams, because we can’t be the team that outbids other teams" -TM

Image result for ben brereton

Glad you said it. 

If that's what we have to do then fine but as usual this deal goes against buying cheap and I don't believe we will make a profit on him. 

Why did he spout all that hope building BS throughout the season about adding ready made players with proven quality because the ones we have arnt good enough.

We have to be smart and cleverer. We're years behind the teams you mentioned who already have scouting systems set up and are benefiting financially and through the players they sign, RIGHT NOW AND HAVE BEEN FOR YEARS. Add the relegated teams, Leeds and parachute payments. How on Earth does he think we can finish top two, even top six when he knows the starting 11 isn't good enough and we're planning on selling our best players and replacing with unproven youth.

Absolutely baffling comments.

He should of said nothing until this meeting and then come back and said " honestly" like everyone keeps telling me he is. we don't have a pot to piss in, the debt is crippling and unstainable long term and the only way a club like Blackburn rovers will survive is buy selling high and buying young replacements.....but we will give it a right good go 

It's worked well for Brentford, they have had quality players and made some good money but correct me if I'm wrong are still hovering around mid table in the championship because all the best players are being bought by the real teams who are actually getting promoted and building top six challenging squads and they are supposedly the team that have got there scouting and recruitment bang on and are being lauded by everyone. They don't get promoted because they keep selling there best players every year and have to start from square one. 

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Well on that basis I won't be expecting Premier league football at Ewood in my lifetime. Maybe not in your's.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JHRover said:

If you believe what Mowbray says in his interviews at least one of the owners was looking for a real push last season but Mowbray put the brakes on and talked them out of it. I'm sure things should be the other way around?

To be fair his children haven't finished uni yet.

Just now, 47er said:

Well on that basis I won't be expecting Premier league football at Ewood in my lifetime. Maybe not in your's.

My daughter is 5 and I won't expect her grand children to see premier league football at ewood

Every year more and more money goes into the premier league, every year three more teams get parachute money, every year we are treading water we are becoming weaker and getting pushed down the pyramid. Soon championship football will be something to be proud of . That isn't an over reaction that's where we are heading. Sell dack and lenihan and get your recruitment wrong for one window and your looking at relegation again. It's a good business model but it's also gambling with our future in a totally different way

Does everyone believe Tony can buy with chicken feed or give a chance to one of our youth prospects and replace lenihan and dack and still compete Because I don't. His transfer record and handling of youth is terrible .

If we didn't have dack and lenihan last season we would already be a league one club. A selling league one club where transfer fees are no where near championship level. Soon Wigan are buying your best players and further we fall

I guess it's time to forget about challenging and learn to accept what we are and lower expectations drastically

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 1

Yet the other week you were telling us he'd be upgrading and signing ready made championship players whilst having a poke at some of us who were sceptical as usual .. ?

You're right about the budget though he's not going to show his hand although he's said several times in the past there was money but he didn't spend it which won't go unnoticed to other clubs and agents when it's basically saying I have powder but am keeping it dry.

What we have now is the usual gentle moving of the goal posts to something more resembling Rovers after all the bold words before ST went on sale. Tony has form for back tracking plenty times he just covers it well but it's all part and parcel of being a manager he won't be the only one.

• Like 3

The downside to that is having to get the Indians to sign off transfers. I know for a fact they don't rush these things and have been a source of frustration to Rovers staff, both footballing and administrative. The danger is missing targets whilst they twiddle their thumbs and other clubs do deals.

I read the Lancashire Telegraph and watch Mowbray interviews and then I read the comments on here and think I'm living in a parallel universe.

For what is worth it is my take:

• Conway did not reach the levels which would have triggered an automatic renewal of his existing contract.  Rovers have clearly offered inferior terms for the one-year extension.

• ditto Rodwell has not been offered the type of contract he had been hoping for

As I have pointed out before, we have an unusually young squad and that is before some of the stars of the under 23s and I believe the even better development squad of under-17s  have broken through. So it is very sensible to have players of the experience of Conway and Rodwell as backup  but backups which are not costing a fortune.

It is clear from Mowbray's comments that he is beginning to lose patience with both Conway and Rodwell and needs them to make a decision which rather suggests that both of them are struggling to get much better terms elsewhere. Both Conway and Rodwell did a job for us last season and Rodwell might do an even better job if he were playing alongside better players who are able to make space for his Incisive passing.

My immediate reaction to the news of Leutweiler getting an extension was incredulity. Then I thought that they showed absolutely no confidence in any of the young keepers being able to step up next season and sure enough Albinson has been released so the Canadian is in effect cover as number 3. It is rare but not unusual that a team does have to call on its third choice keeper because of injuries. Again he has been offered a contract which is still thinking about so I doubt it is very lucrative.

Looking at Raya,  here is a player who must have taken a huge psychological blow as well as a physical blow when his face was rearranged at West Bromwich.  I have said often enough that there was far too little communication coming from the players in front of him and therefore I do not hold him uniquely responsible for all the 69 goals let in last season.

When watching a team it is obviously great to see a promotion chase but if that is not to be then pieces of individual brilliance are what live in the mind. From last season, about half of the highlights for me were breathtaking saves by Raya.

So yes, by all means, bring in much stronger competition for Raya but if Frank Fielding is that competition, it suggests that the field is wide open for Raya to claim the number one slot on merit.

Incidentally, I think there is too much emphasis on distribution by Raya which was an extreme problem but significantly improved last season.

We all know that the club was gutted of all meaningful management until the last 2 years and that included the Scouting system. I have just been reading about Liverpool having a data-based system with 100,000 professional players in it: all matched against Liverpool's current squad and how they might fit in. This is not something which was created overnight and therefore when I read Tony Mowbray's comments that it might take 3 years to develop a proper scouting system for Blackburn Rovers,  I am actually very encouraged.

It means that the short-term recruitment might be a little hit and miss and in those circumstances, you would expect both owners and management to be somewhat hesitant about betting the club.

Finally to comments about Dack.  Mowbray rightly points out that Norwich sold £37 million worth of players yet still went up.  It is inevitable that all 20 Premier League clubs will be looking at what's available in the Championship and therefore there are 20 clubs who will have Bradley Dack on their radar and most likely he is on at least 15 long shortlists of 10 to 15 players whom they are seriously considering making a bid for. The player will be aware of this, the player's agent most certainly will be aware of it and all Tony Mowbray is doing is saying he's aware of it too.

When you look around the championship for a player of 25 who has that little bit special who could make a difference in the Premier League, I think there's only one name and that is Bradley Dack. For all his occasionally indifferent performances last season which folk on here love dwelling on, I suspect if one bid comes in, there will be others and a transfer fee would be well into 8 figures. I hope we will see him at Rovers next season but I think we are hardly short of attacking midfield or in the hole forward players so I doubt we would even need to go into the transfer market to replace him and could use the proceeds more usefully sorting out that defense.

PS no idea why I cannot unbold this post.

• Like 6