BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

I thought the bold was you getting all passionate Philip !

Good post though and I have to agree on the parallel universe bit I've also posted in regards to what's on here without seeing the original content of TM interview or the LT stuff.

Thing is though its got to be said this board is very good at seeing right through the bluster but maybe these interviews need pinning in full before they get dissected from second hand cherry picking ?

• Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

He actually said Bauer wants £40-50,000 per week? Link please 

Go and find it yourself instead of always assuming people make stuff up.

The guy said it, it's out there, go for it ?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JHRover said:

Another thing to take from that interview was the opening comment from Mowbray. We won't be fishing in a big pond for players this summer, because in his view the new scouting system won't be up and running. He says it will take another 2, 3 or 4 years to deliver results. I'm afraid that's unacceptable if true. We're already 2 years into his project which is longer than many managers get, he's been on about the super new scouting system for months and it still isn't ready to deliver results? At a club that appears to be planning on developing and increasing value on players that is poor. Mowbray must be very relaxed and confident in his long term future if he can take such a long term view. Most managers these days last a couple of years if they are lucky whereas Mowbray won't even have got his scouting up and running by year 4 or 5. Truly bonkers. 

We then move on to my other issue. It seems people are confusing two things on transfers. It is one thing to do clever transfer business, have assets on the books worth money, be able to sell those players if needed and make profit on player trading. It is another when the sole purpose of transfer strategy is to recruit on the cheap to try and turn round profits. The former was our success story in the Premier League days with Bentley, Bellamy, Santa Cruz - players brought in who performed immediately, delivered success for the team and were then let go when a big offer came calling and they wanted out. Everyone bar Barcelona and Real Madrid are vulnerable to selling their best players from time to time and the key is to reinvest well. Good transfer business but going hand in hand with a successful team. Big difference between that and then the sole remit of player trading being to try and increase squad value with a view to a few big sales every now and again. Big difference. Mowbray's comments in that interview lean towards the second, in which case promotion might be some time off.

Not what he said, he said it will improve over time. Just as happens with any project.

Some of ye on here need to take a chill pill 

Just now, tomphil said:

No he didn't say it personally in front of you so it didn't happen you mean.

He did not say Bauer wants £40-50,000 per week.  

This is another one of these scenarios where someone posts something on here that isn't accurate, then it's picked up by others and starts becoming the actual narrative

He may have said something about wages, but he did not say that a centre half from league 1 is demanding/expecting £50,000 per week. 

This is another one of these scenarios where someone posts something on here that isn't accurate, then it's picked up by others and starts becoming the actual narrative

He may have said something about wages, but he did not say that a centre half from league 1 is demanding/expecting £50,000 per week. 

Think you might want to search the fans forum minutes it's probably in there.

Then you can take your liar liar crusade elsewhere.

Just now, tomphil said:

Think you might want to search the fans forum minutes it's probably in there.

Then you can take your liar liar crusade elsewhere.

If someone shows me where he says a League 1 centre half wants £50,000 per week, I will hold my hands up. 

It sounds too ludicrous. 

If someone shows me where he says a League 1 centre half wants £50,000 per week, I will hold my hands up. 

It sounds too ludicrous. 

Either way the gist of it is his agent has got greedy because he knows there is long standing interest and he's on a free.

Personally I also found it hard to believe he'd be daft enough to be asking those figures no one will pay that for him a good Championship wage for a player like that at a good club would be half that or less.

• Like 1

I was a little obtuse before but from a contact at Man U, Dack is on their radar and I hear Everton (who are at risk of losing Richarlison to Atletico Madrid, Digne and Gomes to Spurs and Zouma going back to Chelsea) are seriously looking at Dack. 

34 minutes ago, philipl said:

I read the Lancashire Telegraph and watch Mowbray interviews and then I read the comments on here and think I'm living in a parallel universe.

For what is worth it is my take:

• Conway did not reach the levels which would have triggered an automatic renewal of his existing contract.  Rovers have clearly offered inferior terms for the one-year extension.

• ditto Rodwell has not been offered the type of contract he had been hoping for

As I have pointed out before, we have an unusually young squad and that is before some of the stars of the under 23s and I believe the even better development squad of under-17s  have broken through. So it is very sensible to have players of the experience of Conway and Rodwell as backup  but backups which are not costing a fortune.

It is clear from Mowbray's comments that he is beginning to lose patience with both Conway and Rodwell and needs them to make a decision which rather suggests that both of them are struggling to get much better terms elsewhere. Both Conway and Rodwell did a job for us last season and Rodwell might do an even better job if he were playing alongside better players who are able to make space for his Incisive passing.

My immediate reaction to the news of Leutweiler getting an extension was incredulity. Then I thought that they showed absolutely no confidence in any of the young keepers being able to step up next season and sure enough Albinson has been released so the Canadian is in effect cover as number 3. It is rare but not unusual that a team does have to call on its third choice keeper because of injuries. Again he has been offered a contract which is still thinking about so I doubt it is very lucrative.

Looking at Raya,  here is a player who must have taken a huge psychological blow as well as a physical blow when his face was rearranged at West Bromwich.  I have said often enough that there was far too little communication coming from the players in front of him and therefore I do not hold him uniquely responsible for all the 69 goals let in last season.

When watching a team it is obviously great to see a promotion chase but if that is not to be then pieces of individual brilliance are what live in the mind. From last season, about half of the highlights for me were breathtaking saves by Raya.

So yes, by all means, bring in much stronger competition for Raya but if Frank Fielding is that competition, it suggests that the field is wide open for Raya to claim the number one slot on merit.

Incidentally, I think there is too much emphasis on distribution by Raya which was an extreme problem but significantly improved last season.

We all know that the club was gutted of all meaningful management until the last 2 years and that included the Scouting system. I have just been reading about Liverpool having a data-based system with 100,000 professional players in it: all matched against Liverpool's current squad and how they might fit in. This is not something which was created overnight and therefore when I read Tony Mowbray's comments that it might take 3 years to develop a proper scouting system for Blackburn Rovers,  I am actually very encouraged.

It means that the short-term recruitment might be a little hit and miss and in those circumstances, you would expect both owners and management to be somewhat hesitant about betting the club.

Finally to comments about Dack.  Mowbray rightly points out that Norwich sold £37 million worth of players yet still went up.  It is inevitable that all 20 Premier League clubs will be looking at what's available in the Championship and therefore there are 20 clubs who will have Bradley Dack on their radar and most likely he is on at least 15 long shortlists of 10 to 15 players whom they are seriously considering making a bid for. The player will be aware of this, the player's agent most certainly will be aware of it and all Tony Mowbray is doing is saying he's aware of it too.

When you look around the championship for a player of 25 who has that little bit special who could make a difference in the Premier League, I think there's only one name and that is Bradley Dack. For all his occasionally indifferent performances last season which folk on here love dwelling on, I suspect if one bid comes in, there will be others and a transfer fee would be well into 8 figures. I hope we will see him at Rovers next season but I think we are hardly short of attacking midfield or in the hole forward players so I doubt we would even need to go into the transfer market to replace him and could use the proceeds more usefully sorting out that defense.

PS no idea why I cannot unbold this post.

A few issues I have with that:

Whether Rovers have offered inferior terms to Conway's existing deal isn't my concern. My concern is that we're attempting to keep him for another year when it is clear he's not really up to it any more. Why not bring in someone younger and better?

Why are we wasting time offering contracts to people who weren't deemed good enough last season to start many games?

I don't agree that we have an 'unusually young' squad. Our first team regulars contain Graham, Evans, Bennett, Smallwood, Mulgrew all heading into the latter years of their careers. Dack, Rothwell, Lenihan, Williams, Bell don't count as young or inexperienced any more. Even Travis is 21 which isn't young. Brereton is young but is experienced.

In terms of the scouting system - it is only worth investing in and persevering with if it is going to last. The problem we have is it's creation appears to be the brainchild of Mowbray and dependent upon his guidance and input.

I don't think anyone has any serious issue with us reluctantly selling Dack if that is to a top division club for good money. We'll shake his hand and send him on his way with thanks for his service.

What I would have serious issue with is us hawking him around rival Championship clubs trying to generate interest and tempt someone into chucking a bid our way in some desperate attempt to raise a few quid to please the owners or pay interim bills. I firmly believe this sort of thing went on in the days of Cairney, Hanley, Duffy being sold off and that sort of behaviour will cause massive problems.

Once again it seems people won't differentiate between reluctantly allowing your best players to move up a division for good money and then having a transfer policy solely concerned with growing player values with a view to sales and selling to anyone who comes up with cash irrespective of the impact upon our team whilst strengthening rivals.

This player value/self sufficiency stuff is all fantasy though. We'd have to sell £15 million worth of players every single season to break even and that's before thinking about bringing new players in and spending money the other way. Aint going to happen.

• Like 2

6ft-red-air-dancer__68202.1494900513.jpg

Well if someone on a message board said it, it must be true :) It sounds like Mowbray was exaggerating for effect, but of course some on here will spin that and say he is/was being dishonest. 

Anyway, to my original point, if he does want crazy money, we are right not to pay it. 

Oh the irony.... ?

You're going to need your own chadometer by the time summer is out, it's only May !

Brexit has nothing on how this board will be in the next few months lol

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It sounds too ludicrous. 

This was said to fans in a private conversation after the fans forum. Several people back it up. Says his agent is a hack basically.

IF the owners by some miracle have said “right Tony, here’s £20m, go and spend money and get us in the Top 6”

then he’s not going to tell us. He’ll play down his trip no matter what the outcome is. Because otherwise, if clubs catch wind, they’ll be asking for mega fees for their players.

I don’t take most of Mowbray’s media work too seriously, because most of the time he’s saying what he has to say. 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He did bds I heard it from Tony's mouth

1 hour ago, philipl said:

I was a little obtuse before but from a contact at Man U, Dack is on their radar and I hear Everton (who are at risk of losing Richarlison to Atletico Madrid, Digne and Gomes to Spurs and Zouma going back to Chelsea) are seriously looking at Dack. 

I can believe the everton one because he was amazing against them pre season. I doubt man u would entertain him

Edited by Oldgregg86

44 minutes ago, JoeHarvey said:

IF the owners by some miracle have said “right Tony, here’s £20m, go and spend money and get us in the Top 6”

then he’s not going to tell us. He’ll play down his trip no matter what the outcome is. Because otherwise, if clubs catch wind, they’ll be asking for mega fees for their players.

I don’t take most of Mowbray’s media work too seriously, because most of the time he’s saying what he has to say. 

He came back last summer openly saying he had been given a 'competitive budget'. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeHarvey said:

Exactly. He will downplay it if he has money and so what we will have here all summer is negativity one way or another.

It seems some are going down the "Mowbray lies" route, which I think is pretty nasty to be honest. The man has been great for the club and is miles more honorable than what we have had since Venkys arrived. The reality is that you have to tell some white lies and hold back some aspects of the truth when you are a football manager. They all do it, every single one of them bar none. If someone like Warnock did it, people would be saying he's a great lad who knows how to play the game. 

7 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

He came back last summer openly saying he had been given a 'competitive budget'. 

It was competitive for the aim of staying up when you look at those around us

Now getting into the top 6 "competitive" is a different kettle of fish altogether. 

1 hour ago, philipl said:

If those 2 are looking we should ask for 30 million 

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

A few issues I have with that:

Whether Rovers have offered inferior terms to Conway's existing deal isn't my concern. My concern is that we're attempting to keep him for another year when it is clear he's not really up to it any more. Why not bring in someone younger and better?

Why are we wasting time offering contracts to people who weren't deemed good enough last season to start many games?

I don't agree that we have an 'unusually young' squad. Our first team regulars contain Graham, Evans, Bennett, Smallwood, Mulgrew all heading into the latter years of their careers. Dack, Rothwell, Lenihan, Williams, Bell don't count as young or inexperienced any more. Even Travis is 21 which isn't young. Brereton is young but is experienced.

In terms of the scouting system - it is only worth investing in and persevering with if it is going to last. The problem we have is it's creation appears to be the brainchild of Mowbray and dependent upon his guidance and input.

I don't think anyone has any serious issue with us reluctantly selling Dack if that is to a top division club for good money. We'll shake his hand and send him on his way with thanks for his service.

What I would have serious issue with is us hawking him around rival Championship clubs trying to generate interest and tempt someone into chucking a bid our way in some desperate attempt to raise a few quid to please the owners or pay interim bills. I firmly believe this sort of thing went on in the days of Cairney, Hanley, Duffy being sold off and that sort of behaviour will cause massive problems.

Once again it seems people won't differentiate between reluctantly allowing your best players to move up a division for good money and then having a transfer policy solely concerned with growing player values with a view to sales and selling to anyone who comes up with cash irrespective of the impact upon our team whilst strengthening rivals.

This player value/self sufficiency stuff is all fantasy though. We'd have to sell £15 million worth of players every single season to break even and that's before thinking about bringing new players in and spending money the other way. Aint going to happen.

Smallwood in current negotiations to move to Doncaster

Evidence of us hawking Dack to Championship clubs? I haven't seen any but I have posted about Man U and Everton interest.

• Like 2