BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, J*B said:

Will you stop mithering him? If he gets things wrong then fine, as it stands you're just niggling him for any post.

Eh? I'm asking what his source is. You get very upset when I ask questions. This may be more about you than me. 

Edited by blueboy3333
  • Like 1

• Moderation Lead
4 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Darwen festival Sunday night. Anyone fancy it?

See you there lad! Inbox me if you want a pint! ?

9 hours ago, Mercer said:

Think someone is winding you up!

I will be very surprised if ANY PL club takes a chance on Dack.

IMO, overpriced, overweight and overrated.

Talk about United and Everton is fantasy but 15 goals and 7 assists for a team who finished 15th suggests he is not overrated at all. 

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

When fans jump on Mowbrays comments about us being unable to out spend our rivals as some sign he has nothing to spend, it's worth considering how many clubs in our division are currently receiving parachute payments. 

At my count it was 6 clubs last season, with 3 more joining them. So that will be 9 clubs receiving parachute payments next season, 8 if villa go up. Perspective guys. 

Parachute payments enable clubs who come down to support their high wage bill in the main. Its not just a booster of transfer budget.

• Like 2

When I see the words parachute payments all I think of is Best, Murphy, Etuhu, Orrs contract extension and Rhodes, all the lot lot, four years worth blown right there.

Only good thing in it was Jordan otherwise we'd have hit league one a lot sooner.

Shocking just shocking.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, tomphil said:

Yet the other week you were telling us he'd be upgrading and signing ready made championship players whilst having a poke at some of us who were sceptical as usual .. ?

You're right about the budget though he's not going to show his hand although he's said several times in the past there was money but he didn't spend it which won't go unnoticed to other clubs and agents when it's basically saying I have powder but am keeping it dry.

What we have now is the usual gentle moving of the goal posts to something more resembling Rovers after all the bold words before ST went on sale. Tony has form for back tracking plenty times he just covers it well but it's all part and parcel of being a manager he won't be the only one.

Haha, weird. This literally never happened. Ever. Iv never said we are going to sign this player or that player. Neither have I poked fun at you about this. 

I did ask for some calm during the bad run when several in here were calling for the head of the manager.

My point through all of this is that the manager has set his stall out. He’s shown his hand in terms of his ambition. If we are to achieve that then he will have to sign much better players. So let’s judge him and the club at the end of the window.

None of this has changed and quite frankly the hysteria amongst grown men that can be created from 30 second excerpts of interviews in India is laughable. I often wonder if people read back their posts and think “How on earth did I get SOO upset over that?”

7 hours ago, tomphil said:

When I see the words parachute payments all I think of is Best, Murphy, Etuhu, Orrs contract extension and Rhodes, all the lot lot, four years worth blown right there.

Only good thing in it was Jordan otherwise we'd have hit league one a lot sooner.

Shocking just shocking.

Exactly - the damage done in three months after relegation probably sewed up 50m in useless wages and pay outs.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Talk about United and Everton is fantasy but 15 goals and 7 assists for a team who finished 15th suggests he is not overrated at all. 

IMO, a mentally and physically fit Dack is a very good Championship player.

Rhodes scored goals for fun at Rovers but, IMO, has failed miserably since leaving.  When we first signed Rhodes and he scored a few goals, some on here were lauding him as the new Shearer - it was nonsense.  I always thought his lack of pace, aggression and physicality  would prevent him from hacking it in the PL - in fact, I think he's now struggling at Championship level.

I see similar hype where Dack is concerned, however, IMO, his lack of pace and an indifferent attitude will prevent Dack from even getting to the PL never mind hacking it at that level.  When at Rovers, for most of the time, I thought Rhodes made the most of what he had in his locker - sadly, I don't think that could be said about Dack. 

9 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Darwen festival Sunday night. Anyone fancy it?

You'll need your passport and visa to enter the Metropolis ?.

Watch out for the peregrine falcon.

It's also on Monday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Haha, weird. This literally never happened. Ever. Iv never said we are going to sign this player or that player. Neither have I poked fun at you about this. 

I did ask for some calm during the bad run when several in here were calling for the head of the manager.

My point through all of this is that the manager has set his stall out. He’s shown his hand in terms of his ambition. If we are to achieve that then he will have to sign much better players. So let’s judge him and the club at the end of the window.

None of this has changed and quite frankly the hysteria amongst grown men that can be created from 30 second excerpts of interviews in India is laughable. I often wonder if people read back their posts and think “How on earth did I get SOO upset over that?”

Rinse and Repeat

21 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

LT mentioning Lyndsay from Barnsley and some kid from Everton under 23s - who worked with TM previously.  

Our scouting has come on leaps and bounds ?

Seriously though, the 'budget' and recent comments don't seem those of a team about to challenge for promotion. 

*Unless he sells Dack.

I wonder how many times we’ll see the line ‘X who worked under Mowbray at Coventry’ this summer. Jesus wept, as you say I really hope our net is cast a little wider than TM’s former players for a change following all this scouting chat peddled by the club.

• Like 1

On 13/05/2019 at 07:38, Paul Mani said:

We do have a budget. They also always scout an option A, B, C etc in each position. In truth, the A’s are usually pretty unattainable because they’re expensive and usually scouted in case the club loses a Dack or Lenihan and suddenly has resources available. The budget is set in line with projected income etc. 

The difference this summer as oppose to last is that the manager is basically going to India to ask them to sanction his A targets without sales. Claiming that he can challenge for promotion if they do so whilst increasing the values of the developing players. (Highly rated Championship players sell for £15-25m) in theory.

It’s basically Tony’s moment. He’s putting his neck on the line.

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Personally I’m really looking forward to “Tony’s moment”.

And with his neck on the line no less. Until of course he doesn’t make those signings but everything will still be good.

Quick: someone use the word hysteria, that’ll distract them!

• Like 4

Sharpe has just posted an article about our RB’s since relegation from the PL. If ever a list of players was an indictment of our fall from grace under this lot...

Starts since 2012: Nyambe 69, Henley 61, Marshall 38, Kane 36, Bennett 30, Lowe 26, Baptiste 20, Orr 17, Caddis 13, Keane 8, Reed 2, Ribeiro 2

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Good job i'm not one to trawl back over old posts then.. ?

Agree on point 3 which is why there is a bit of hysteria ( some might call it passion ) I guess when some of the early bold words don't match some of the more recent signals being sent out and tbf it's all based on the old 'seen it all before' that gets the knees jerking a bit.

Early days yet though I've said i'll be happy with modest recruitment in number terms as long as they are quality. I thought AA signing last summer was a solid sensible one for the money and the loan of Reid was up there with the best loans in recent years so something similar would be a good start although starting with a quality centre back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Personally I’m really looking forward to “Tony’s moment”.

And with his neck on the line no less. Until of course he doesn’t make those signings but everything will still be good.

Quick: someone use the word hysteria, that’ll distract them!

As I’ve said, if he fails, he’s done.

2 hours ago, Biz said:

Exactly - the damage done in three months after relegation probably sewed up 50m in useless wages and pay outs.

Yep Best alone fee & deal was set to cost c10 million so basically all the 4 years parachute money was tied up in the fees and deals for that little lot.

There was also the c18 million black hole in the books they created in the first 6-12 months or so at a club that was losing just 5 mill per season at that point I think. Gives another idea of what was going on but that's another debate but there was plenty other stuff to add to the slate from the early days.

Certain people will never visit foodbanks that's for sure !

15 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Sharpe has just posted an article about our RB’s since relegation from the PL. If ever a list of players was an indictment of our fall from grace under this lot...

Starts since 2012: Nyambe 69, Henley 61, Marshall 38, Kane 36, Bennett 30, Lowe 26, Baptiste 20, Orr 17, Caddis 13, Keane 8, Reed 2, Ribeiro 2

My God, that's frightening!

11 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Parachute payments enable clubs who come down to support their high wage bill in the main. Its not just a booster of transfer budget.

Higher wage bills that enable clubs to sign better players. For instance I read somewhere that Dwight Gayle, at loan at WBA this season, is on £50k a week. I doubt we have anyone on even half of that - a point worth remembering when we’re comparing Rovers transfer business to other clubs’ and asking why we didn’t sign X or Y.