BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, TruRover said:

I think people need to realise that it would be a huge achievement to reach the play offs. I don’t think anyone can expect us to get that. No doubt that has to be the aim otherwise we’d be doing nothing but making up the numbers, and with the right recruitment we certainly have a chance, but there are many teams with much more quality, money and experience. 

If we got close to reaching the playoffs while also developing players, our style of play and improving (especially defensively) from last season then that can’t be seen as a failure, although it can’t be seen as a success either.

Sheff Utd just  got promoted to the Prem with 5 players who were with them in League 1 PLUS they also spent less than Rovers last summer. 

What you perhaps need to realise is that they did this because they have a quality manager. When you say it will be difficult for us to reach the play offs I agree - for the simple reason that we don't have a quality manager. We just have an average manager. 

43 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Disingenuous. Mowbray said the target was 60 points about a month before the end of the season. The actual target at the start of the season was the PO's - Evans let that slip. 

If the target is top 6 this season and Mowbray finishes 7th he has failed. Simple as that. 

I also don’t think for one second that anyone’s target last season was the playoffs. 

Evans point in context was him talking about the period before Christmas when they had been looking up at the promotion spots. Then the consequent disappointment of not kicking on.

If it’s top 6 or nothing for you then fine. That’s your opinion ??

• Like 1

Just now, Mattyblue said:

We hadn’t heard this 60 point target all year until the back end of that horrendous run. So I thought it was fairly obvious that he set the target then to try and encourage a strong end to the season?

Whichever version that I, you or anyone else chooses to remember, there wasn’t a single person (in the world) who expected us to to get in the top 6. 

• Like 1

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Sheff Utd just  got promoted to the Prem with 5 players who were with them in League 1 PLUS they also spent less than Rovers last summer. 

What you perhaps need to realise is that they did this because they have a quality manager. When you say it will be difficult for us to reach the play offs I agree - for the simple reason that we don't have a quality manager. We just have an average manager. 

Our squad is quite abit behind many teams in this league so wouldn’t say it’s only the manager that we’re lacking. I’m not TM biggest fan but i don’t think it can be expected of him to get us into the playoffs with our current team. I also don’t think there’s many  better managers who we could attract.

Sheffield United are an example that there is hope for teams for like us who can’t quite compete financially, but for every Sheffield United there is a stoke who spend a lot last season and really struggled, showing how hard this league is.

• Like 1

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Whichever version that I, you or anyone else chooses to remember, there wasn’t a single person (in the world) who expected us to to get in the top 6. 

I’m not saying anything about top 6, I’m saying 60 points obviously wasn’t a pre season target or we’d have heard about it before April.

14 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I also don’t think for one second that anyone’s target last season was the playoffs. 

Evans point in context was him talking about the period before Christmas when they had been looking up at the promotion spots. Then the consequent disappointment of not kicking on.

If it’s top 6 or nothing for you then fine. That’s your opinion ??

Again, you're wrong. Evans was talking about what the target was at the beginning of last season.

“It’s been a good season in some ways, but I think we’re a little disappointed to have not reached the play-offs, which is where we wanted to get to at the start of the campaign," he (Evans) admitted honestly to iFollow Rovers.

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2019/may/weve-shown-we-can-mix-it-with-the-big-teams/

It was interesting that Mowbray recently claimed there wasn't a target at the beginning of last season (contradicted by Evans). The 60 point target was only dreamt up in March/April.

Tony is not as open and honest as he tries to portray. 

On your last sentence - if the target is top 6 and we finish 7th then he's failed. That isn't opinion, that's fact. ??

You need to do a lot better. Your arguments have more holes than a Mowbray defence?????etc.

Edited by blueboy3333
  • Like 2

Just now, TruRover said:

Our squad is quite abit behind many teams in this league so wouldn’t say it’s only the manager that we’re lacking. I’m not TM biggest fan but i don’t think it can be expected of him to get us into the playoffs with our current team. I also don’t think there’s many  better managers who we could attract.

Sheffield United are an example that there is hope for teams for like us who can’t quite compete financially, but for every Sheffield United there is a stoke who spend a lot last season and really struggled, showing how hard this league is.

Of course it can be expected of him. He's the manager talking about Top2/Top 6. He obviously believes it's possible. Evans said they wanted to get in the play-offs this season. 

It won't be easy, but with the right manager it is more than possible. Mowbray isn't the right manager. He isn't good enough. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Of course it can be expected of him. He's the manager talking about Top2/Top 6. He obviously believes it's possible. Evans said they wanted to get in the play-offs this season. 

It won't be easy, but with the right manager it is more than possible. Mowbray isn't the right manager. He isn't good enough. 

Of course it’s possible, but it’s not something I expect to happen like a Leeds or a WBA would as their squads are streets ahead of ours currently.

TM isn’t gonna come out and say we’re aiming for mid table, esp as thats where we have been for majority of last season. He’s not going to be able to attract better players if he’s saying he wants to aim for midtable. Ofc course plays offs are the aim otherwise what would we be playing for. But it still shouldn’t be expected and he can’t be classed as a bad manager if we miss out on top 6, especially if we’re up there and close. I agree with you that he defo has his flaws as a manager and he may not be the right manager to take us up, but I wouldn’t expect any championship level manager to get us into the playoffs with our current squad when you compare it to others in this league, which is why It would be a great achievement if we could get there.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, TruRover said:

Of course it’s possible, but it’s not something I expect to happen like a Leeds or a WBA would as their squads are streets ahead of ours currently.

TM isn’t gonna come out and say we’re aiming for mid table, esp as thats where we have been for majority of last season. He’s not going to be able to attract better players if he’s saying he wants to aim for midtable. Ofc course plays offs are the aim otherwise what would we be playing for. But it still shouldn’t be expected and he can’t be classed as a bad manager if we miss out on top 6, especially if we’re up there and close. I agree with you that he defo has his flaws as a manager and he may not be the right manager to take us up, but I wouldn’t expect any championship level manager to get us into the playoffs with our current squad when you compare it to others in this league, which is why It would be a great achievement if we could get there.

Diagree. A good Championship manager would have sorted our defence and got us in the play offs. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

I think that's an overlooked part of the equation. Can Mowbray sell Rovers to players who have other Championship clubs interested in them?

Last summer we were turned down by Celina and failed to attract Freeman. 

And Mac'Ginn. Would have been a great buy.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Diagree. A good Championship manager would have sorted our defence and got us in the play offs. 

Yeah, for us and around ten others that were in contention at the time.

Ridiculous level of expectation that takes into account zero external factors.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, arbitro said:

Difficult for me not to be in Darwen as I live there.

Apologies not directed at you pal, just quoting the show!

We have both probably been on the same coach from the Britannia, Spinners or Craven at some point. 

Edited by old darwen blue

20 hours ago, philipl said:

You have to remember:

1) Man U still labouring under Glazer ownership costing them gazillions

2) Man U have the highest wage bill and in a post-Champions League era need to get the wage bill down

3) Man U not confident of signing targets with OGS as Manager and no Champions League football to offer

I stressed Dack is on their radar, I didn't say expect an offer tomorrow.

In terms of quality of my source, the Man U one is much closer to the action than the Everton one.

Just read that United are now "very close" to signing Matthijs de Ligt and are also looking at Benfica's Felix who would also cost tens of £millions.

I think to link Dack with United is totally absurd and can only think that sadly you've listened too much to the likes of Kean, Coyle and Mowbray over the years!

Edited by Mercer

Just now, Mercer said:

Just read that United are now "very close" to signing Matthijs de Ligt and are also looking at Benfica's Felix who would also cost tens of £millions.

I think to link Dack with United is totally absurd and can only think that sadly you've listened too much to the likes of Kean, Coyle and Mowbray over the years!

You can also read United are close to signing James and Longstaff...

You can think it absurd but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

4 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Both of who are a class or two above fat bradley......

Most impactful player in a blue n white shirt for two years and that’s how he’s referred too!

Wheres that logout button?

• Like 6

• Backroom

I see somewhere we’ve been linked with Bassala Sambou at Everton, I mentioned him last summer purely because Tony worked with him at Coventry!

Young striker