BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

If we have to sign an old midfielder from the north east I would rather have Peter Beardsley than Stewart Downing. At least Beardsley was a top player in his day. 

Hoping Downing rumour goes away. But unfortunately I can imagine it happening. 

He will have been one Tony has had his eye on for a while. 

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Where has Maher come from?

And how are you so certain about Fielding replacing Raya?

Maher been tracked by the club, would be an astute signing if it came off. Could easily sell for £10-15m after a good year or two at Championship level, I mean the guy has Champions League games under his belt.

And I don't know for sure that FF would replace Raya, I was just making a light hearted comment, saying that knowing Blackburn that's how things will end up.

21 minutes ago, JoeHarvey said:

Maher been tracked by the club, would be an astute signing if it came off. Could easily sell for £10-15m after a good year or two at Championship level, I mean the guy has Champions League games under his belt.

And I don't know for sure that FF would replace Raya, I was just making a light hearted comment, saying that knowing Blackburn that's how things will end up.

It’s not “Blackburn” it’s “Rovers” sorry but that really annoys me for some reason ?.. I’d love us too sign Maher, I can’t see it but I think he would do damage in this league and like you say, there’s definite re-sale value which is apparently our “model” these days.

• Like 1

Just now, Butty said:

It’s not “Blackburn” it’s “Rovers” sorry but that really annoys me for some reason ?.. I’d love us too sign Maher, I can’t see it but I think he would do damage in this league and like you say, there’s definite re-sale value which is apparently our “model” these days.

I always say Rovers when I speak, but when I type I always say Blackburn. Weird as I’ve never consciously thought about it like that ?

11 hours ago, RV Blue said:

Wasn’t a pussy when he bust his face and was back in the team after only missing one game, was he?

Ha! Totally. But it wasn't as easy to make a cat-joke about that.

As for the Downing rumour: As always I'd be willing to wait and see how he panned out before gorging myself on shock, horror, and outrage, but he really isn't a hugely inspirational name to be linked with.

Downing can still cross a ball.

Not my first choice by any means. However, I'd be surprised if Mowbray thinks his presence would bring something to a young squad if he is not looking.

Had we had brfcs.com back in the day there would have been "past it" comments about Cowans, Wagstaffe, Gordon Taylor and so on before they arrived...

Having said that, it is silly season and we are third in the rule of three so doubt there is anything much in it. The Rangers and Sunderland approaches do seem to have legs.

650 career appearances and 60 goals. Was an ever present in his two seasons at Liverpool and didn't play much at Boro this season over issues with Pulis and his contract.

10 hours ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Wow! I hope this is a Chinese whisper. Our scouts are class! They will get some serious biscuits if we secure Stewart.

I think the media have cottoned on to Mowbrays penchant for signing players he has previously worked with. I will be massively disappointed with this if it happens. Aside from his age and potential wages I have simply never rated him.

2 hours ago, philipl said:

Not my first choice by any means. However, I'd be surprised if Mowbray thinks his presence would bring something to a young squad if he is not looking.

Had we had brfcs.com back in the day there would have been "past it" comments about Cowans, Wagstaffe, Gordon Taylor and so on before they arrived...

Having said that, it is silly season and we are third in the rule of three so doubt there is anything much in it. The Rangers and Sunderland approaches do seem to have legs.

650 career appearances and 60 goals. Was an ever present in his two seasons at Liverpool and didn't play much at Boro this season over issues with Pulis and his contract.

Yes but we've got that type of comparison to endless players under the Venky era and not sure I can point to one who's worked out yet but they've all done very nicely out of it.

Graham and Mulgrew aren't in that group by the way they had plenty left when we signed them.

We are jumping the gun again but I don't think there's any harm in registering disapproval early if anyone is reading this connected to a signing like that, we don't need players like him it would smack of jobs for the boys again.  How many players do we want to carry ?   Don't forget the issues with Chapman that's far from a straightforward signing with his injuries.

Judging by what we've been linked with so far they are looking at cast offs with experience not genuine Championship first teamers. Will we be pleased with a Gordon Greer or Wes Brown again to back up the defence and add this type of experience there ?  Not likely.

They should be looking at other clubs benches not their treatment rooms and pensioned off let go lists.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, philipl said:

Less than 50 career assists indicates he isn't too good at crossing.

1 hour ago, BankEnd Rover said:

I was being Scarcastic with that post btw. Chapman & Rothwell on the wings for me. With Armstrong as first back up. 

i knew that, just making my comment! Hoping this is the usual tabloid, transfer rubbish.

Maher not happening. Going to another Dutch side.

Get the feeling a lot of our “Option A” ideas are falling through, and the likes of Downing are options B and C.

Just now, JoeHarvey said:

Get the feeling a lot of our “Option A” ideas are falling through, and the likes of Downing are options B and C.

Ye. Maher falling through cos his old coach has signed him at his new club is definitely a pretty big indication that all of our option a targets are failing.

I'm gunna get the noose. Time to hang the club.

• Like 1

Just now, JoeHarvey said:

Bloody hell, that didn't take long. So we're not even out of May yet, Mowbray and co. only just getting back from India yet we're already through Option A ideas and onto the B and C list? Where will we be on deadline day in August/September?

If Downing is on List B I shudder to think who is on list E,F and G.

No evidence Maher was ever a serious target. The fact he's agreed a move at this relatively early stage of the window suggests that one has been in the pipeline for some time now and given we're still at the deciding budgets stage of proceedings I doubt we ever had a realistic chance on that front. If we'd have been in with a chance we would have needed to get everything teed up weeks ago and that isn't possible under this regime.

IF we're keen on Downing it just sums up the haphazard, inconsistent and bonkers strategy we have. Mowbray talks about developing assets, signing players who will improve and grow in value and be better than what we already have and talks about tapping into new markets and being clever with our business yet his first port of call is to go to a 35 year old being released by his hometown club whose supporters are glad to see the back of? Random. More likely Mowbray is just lining up who he can in the absence of a serious plan or budget.

Can people try and judge the window on the sum of our dealings instead of tabloid gossip and even one signing? 

Surprised that Downing played almost 30 games for Boro last season. The comparisons to Conway are plain lazy, the only similarities are they are both wingers in their 30s. Downing has a far better CV. 

Like on the one hand some say they want Championship experience and pedigree, then when they get that, there is a new problem. 

I see Sheffield Wedneday are linked as well, is Steve Bruce stupid? 

• Like 2

Just now, JHRover said:

Bloody hell, that didn't take long. So we're not even out of May yet, Mowbray and co. only just getting back from India yet we're already through Option A ideas and onto the B and C list? Where will we be on deadline day in August/September?

If Downing is on List B I shudder to think who is on list E,F and G.

No evidence Maher was ever a serious target. The fact he's agreed a move at this relatively early stage of the window suggests that one has been in the pipeline for some time now and given we're still at the deciding budgets stage of proceedings I doubt we ever had a realistic chance on that front. If we'd have been in with a chance we would have needed to get everything teed up weeks ago and that isn't possible under this regime.

IF we're keen on Downing it just sums up the haphazard, inconsistent and bonkers strategy we have. Mowbray talks about developing assets, signing players who will improve and grow in value and be better than what we already have and talks about tapping into new markets and being clever with our business yet his first port of call is to go to a 35 year old being released by his hometown club whose supporters are glad to see the back of? Random. More likely Mowbray is just lining up who he can in the absence of a serious plan or budget.

Same as Downing so :) 

I’m not really paying much attention to this thread, the LT or anywhere else at this stage.

The likes of Nixon and these random online places like ‘the 72’ churn out any old shite and folk are all over it.

Either it will be someone like Downing and everyone recoils in horror or Maher and people think ‘oh I like the sound of him’. But in reality we probably aren’t interested in either and it is just agents doing their standard ‘rule of 3’ routine.

I would say these random names give no insight either way into actual Rovers transfer policy.

• Like 3

Any idea what sort of budget Tony got when he was in India?

I suspect it will be like previous years' where it is a very small budget, until it is too late and we've missed all the best targets (see Brereton signing).

I'm expecting a flurry of Gladwin-esque signings in early summer to fill out the squad, followed maybe by some bigger signings at the end of the window.