BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

No reason to believe that this is actually on the cards, but how would people feel about a cheeky bid for Aiden McGeady now that Sunderland are spending another season in the third tier?

If we're playing three behind a lone striker, currently we have Rothwell, Dack, Armstrong, Chapman and at a push Bennett. Seems to me like we're probably one short unless we're asking players to play away from their natural position.

Never really been convinced by his character, but there's no doubt that he can do it at this level and he knows Mowbray from Celtic. 

• Like 1

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

No reason to believe that this is actually on the cards, but how would people feel about a cheeky bid for Aiden McGeady now that Sunderland are spending another season in the third tier?

If we're playing three behind a lone striker, currently we have Rothwell, Dack, Armstrong, Chapman and at a push Bennett. Seems to me like we're probably one short unless we're asking players to play away from their natural position.

Never really been convinced by his character, but there's no doubt that he can do it at this level and he knows Mowbray from Celtic. 

Not a bad shout that. He looks far to good for league 1 and even when he came on in the final he seemed to play better than most with ease.

If It was sensible wages and a decent fee I wouldn't be against it. May not be lightning quick now but he's a natural winger who if he can turn up for most of the time would be a game changer.

I think a mix of youth and experience is needed this summer. Say if we sign 3-4 players. Maybe having 1 or 2 more experienced with the rest being potentially better in a year or two.

• Backroom
Just now, Mattyblue said:

It was a debate, no?

A couple of people got a bit personal, but I thought the rest of us (Joe included) were just chewing the fat on BB, a big signing for the club.

Whats the problem with that? Or if it’s in the wrong thread, just move it.

I meant the more personal comments, not the debating ones (which is interesting). Just shame it gets lost in the shuffle a bit.

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

I actually thought about him the other day. An article showed his potential in fifa 09 would end up at 89, which is basically world class. The reality is his card is now 73 and he plays in league 1. That move to Russia killed his career  

On a free, I would prefer him over Downing to be honest. When he gets going he is class, but he is hot and cold. I don't think he has an attitude problem or any off the field issues, just one of those players. He had/has more talent than any of our current wingers, that's for sure  

He did very well at Preston, so maybe he would be on for a move back around that neck of the woods. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

53 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I wonder if there is any chance of us signing Andy Carroll :) I would say around 1%, but what a signing he would be on a pay as you play at this level 

Not a chance that he would agree to a pay as you play, maybe he will have to settle for quite an incentivised contract for his next move but he will undoubtedly have a decent basic salary, otherwise if he doesnt play for a couple of months through injury he wont get paid and it doesnt work like that.

23 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Not a chance that he would agree to a pay as you play, maybe he will have to settle for quite an incentivised contract for his next move but he will undoubtedly have a decent basic salary, otherwise if he doesnt play for a couple of months through injury he wont get paid and it doesnt work like that.

It depends really. His injury record has been so bad over the last 4-5 years who is going to offer him a long-term deal? A newly promoted or possibly a big spending championship club might offer him a year, but even that would be a gamble. It will be interesting to see. 

3 hours ago, Mike E said:

Struggling to see what JoeHarvey did that prompted the fiasco that was the last few pages.

His articles get posted on here with some comments, he responds and then gets jumped on by several people.

I’d say perhaps everyone needs to calm down and remember his articles look more like ‘round-ups’ of info, rather than actual rumour mill. Also Joe, don’t feel you have to respond to them all.

Fair enough mate, I think it's a learning curve for sure.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It depends really. His injury record has been so bad over the last 4-5 years who is going to offer him a long-term deal? A newly promoted or possibly a big spending championship club might offer him a year, but even that would be a gamble. It will be interesting to see. 

But theres no way that he would accept a contract without a guaranteed wage.

7 hours ago, JoeHarvey said:

But I can guarantee at 20 years old, nobody was sat around saying "he'll never be good enough", which many suggest about BB, because the weight of expectation at Rovers is insane.

About J-Lo? I called it after a couple of games, same as Brereton. You want to hang your hat on one attribute that they have, just one and take it from there. Lowe had none and BB hasn't shown one either.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

I’d be fairly into it if people could comment on players that were rumoured, instead of commenting on reactions to said players instead...

Trolling isn’t sound ?

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

But theres no way that he would accept a contract without a guaranteed wage.

And if nobody offers him a contract with a sizeable guaranteed wage (I assume you mean sizeable, as obviously he'll get some sort of guaranteed wage regardless)? Do you think he'd rather retire? Probably can't afford to wait until January for someone to change their minds.

Any chance we could get a 'transfer links only' thread like last year, for the people who only want to view that, and have the discussion here? I don't know why some people moaned about that system, I thought it was far better.

I'm going to try to summarise the players I've seen us linked to, best as I can recall (no links sorry, cba):

• Stewart Downing (Winger, predominantly left-sided)
  • Scott Carson (GK)
  • Frank Fielding (GK)
  • Adam Maher (Midfielder)
  • Sam Gallagher (Striker/shunted onto the wing)
  • Patrick Bauer (CH)
  • Liam Lindsay (CH)
  • Daniel Bentley (GK)
  • Bassala Sambou (Striker)
  • Joe Malkin (Striker)

The last two are clearly for the youth team initially. I assume we are scouting a few European countries but the only one I've heard confirmed is Holland.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, JoeHarvey said:

I'll tell you what, I'll offer up a challenge:

For weeks I've been told I'm this that and the other, but you know what, if one of you, just one, could back it up with some evidence that would be great. 
This morning I asked somebody to find evidence that I was "self-promoting" and they declined to do so (presumebly because I have never self-promoted myself)

So... based on some accusations from the last few pages.

Can someone find evidence that I've started an argument?

You started an argument when you joined.  Told you you need thick skin.  

Speaking to someone who was talking to Anthony Pilkington’s relation, said he really wanted to come to Rovers before signing for Wigan, and that Rovers said the reason they didn’t want to sign him,was a policy of not signing anyone over 30.

So this rumour re Downing could just very well be a rumour,also thought that TM said he’d like to bolster the squad with 2/3 mid twenty’s who could go straight into the side alongside his younger ones coming through from the u/23s. Looking forward to see what happens.

• Like 4

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Herbie6590 said:

...if the away kit’s not grey & yellow you’re coming on the pod to explain yourself BTW...?

Grey halves! A strange pattern in one of the half. Not sure about yellow! If I'm wrong I understand I'm in for it?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Madon said:

Grey halves! A strange pattern in one of the half. Not sure about yellow! If I'm wrong I understand I'm in for it?

It sounds fucking awful, so you're in for it if you're right!!

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We play with a lone target man, so I am sure Big Andy would fit in just swell.

Well maybe not actually, because we are moving to a technical, possession based style with false a 9, 10, 11 and possibly 1 if Raya doesn't sort his shit out. Maybe we should inquire about Messi? Actually, he is probably too old. 

Unless he's on a pay-as-you-play deal, Carroll would be a horrendous signing. He's the most crocked player in history. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

And if nobody offers him a contract with a sizeable guaranteed wage (I assume you mean sizeable, as obviously he'll get some sort of guaranteed wage regardless)? Do you think he'd rather retire? Probably can't afford to wait until January for someone to change their minds.

Nah it was just pointing out that no one would accept a purely pay as you pay contract, as you say he would have to receive a guaranteed wage, even if he ends up on much less than he was at West Ham. 

Just now, Ossydave said:

Waste of time being positive about Brereton on here when the forum is full of people wanting him to fail because he wasn't their personal first choice signing. So much so I rarely even bother on here anymore.

People pay good money to watch their team hoping that the 7m striker plays rubbish because its more important to justify him not being their first choice signing? Right.

• Like 3

He’s had criticism for his performances has BB but I don’t think there’s ever been a player I’ve wanted too succeed as much at Rovers since Grabbi. I think all of us are dying for him too do well, the idea anyone wants a player too fail for their own club is nonsense.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, unsall said:

Speaking to someone who was talking to Anthony Pilkington’s relation, said he really wanted to come to Rovers before signing for Wigan, and that Rovers said the reason they didn’t want to sign him,was a policy of not signing anyone over 30.

So this rumour re Downing could just very well be a rumour,also thought that TM said he’d like to bolster the squad with 2/3 mid twenty’s who could go straight into the side alongside his younger ones coming through from the u/23s. Looking forward to see what happens.

Sharpe in the LT has already confirmed Mowbray is talking to Downing.

Sad to say but usually when we get linked with something that most feel is underwhelming it usually has legs.

I think this one is a goer.