BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, 47er said:

Might as well as have all our scouts in Middlesborough!

Be nice if it was Assombalonga on a season long loan we were really talking too he would be worth the wages, make a better right winger than Samuel ?

46 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Nah it was just pointing out that no one would accept a purely pay as you pay contract, as you say he would have to receive a guaranteed wage, even if he ends up on much less than he was at West Ham. 

Sure. That's not what people mean when they say pay as you play deal though. They just mean it's very heavily weighted towards appearance bonuses and not very much in guaranteed wage. I'd be surprised if anyone is being literal enough when they say it to mean the player doesn't get a bean unless he plays. That's probably actually illegal anyway.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bluebruce said:

And if nobody offers him a contract with a sizeable guaranteed wage (I assume you mean sizeable, as obviously he'll get some sort of guaranteed wage regardless)? Do you think he'd rather retire? Probably can't afford to wait until January for someone to change their minds.

Oh, he can afford it alright.

image.thumb.png.7007b8ff4ca8dcf6121071ea209ee8c5.png

37 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Oh, he can afford it alright.

image.thumb.png.7007b8ff4ca8dcf6121071ea209ee8c5.png

That's crazy...I didn't mean he'd be destitute though, just that with his injury troubles his stock would fall further by January. There'd be no point holding out for a better offer because he'd get a worse one.

Don't really want him anyway...partly because I consider him the most overrated player of his generation (or at least one of them). The info you posted there being a good indicator of it.

On 04/05/2019 at 16:46, Fraserkirky said:

Hope it’s that Vlap guy from Heerenveen, he looks like a skinny Dennis Bergkamp.

Jacob Murphy the guy from Newcastle that cant get a game, left winger. Ran us ragged in the cup game. Would like him

Looks like Jacob Murphy’s name has just came up on twitter. Mentioned him back on May 4th, he destroyed us in the replay at Ewood. Would fit in nice with Rothwell and Dack in the three behind. This one has legs.

Ticks all the right boxes in our scouting department too:

image.thumb.png.90aa0b4518f538232f810a6b410e5456.png

Seriously though, this will cost quite a bit wouldn't it? Transfermarkt does say he is out of contract at the end of June however, which would then not make me feel confident as he would have a whole heap of admirers.

Edited by JacknOry

47 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Looks like Jacob Murphy’s name has just came up on twitter. Mentioned him back on May 4th, he destroyed us in the replay at Ewood. Would fit in nice with Rothwell and Dack in the three behind. This one has legs.

Reliable account or just some random?

48 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Came up linked with us? There’s some reported itk posted something a few days ago but I can’t see much...

cracking player!

9 hours ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Think what he means is that BB is given very heavy criticism for how many minutes he's Played. Once again his price tag does not help. If we spent 2million on the lad, this discussion wouldn't be taking place.

I agree completely.

What I disagree with is the assertion that people want him to fail. And to say that it must be true because someone thinks it is is just crass.

Brereton failing is the worst outcome for this football club. It completely undermines Mowbray’s recruitment ability with the purse holders (if it hasn’t already); it leaves the team without the Graham replacement it needs; and it means no resale value.

But even worse, it means that a huge chunk of money set aside for rebuilding the side has been wasted and may even make this Summer’s transfer thread and bit of a non-event.

• Like 4

• Moderation Lead

Everyone wants Brereton to succeed, why wouldn't they? We all support Rovers.....

Problem is, people have their doubts, given what they have seen so far, that he will come good. 

Is there anything wrong with folk having a different opinion?  Personally, I want him to succeed more than anything, and I truly hope he does!

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 2

Anyone suggesting anyone would rather see a player fail (so they can be right) is being a little silly. No true fan would wish ill on the club just so that they could say 'i told you so'.

If BB fired us to promotion next season, i think most that had a bad initial view of Bb as a player and the transfer as a whole would be quick to hold their hands up and be ecstatic at the same time.

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 4

53 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I agree completely.

What I disagree with is the assertion that people want him to fail. And to say that it must be true because someone thinks it is is just crass.

Brereton failing is the worst outcome for this football club. It completely undermines Mowbray’s recruitment ability with the purse holders (if it hasn’t already); it leaves the team without the Graham replacement it needs; and it means no resale value.

But even worse, it means that a huge chunk of money set aside for rebuilding the side has been wasted and may even make this Summer’s transfer thread and bit of a non-event.

Think this is right, at games he's been backed to the hilt (bar the odd frustrated groan). The way everyone celebrated his goal and gave him support generally at Bolton was a really nice moment. 

There's still something to be said for people making their mind up a bit too quickly in my view, and social media & forums really put them under the microscope, but they're different issues that probably relate to 4 or 5 players at every club at any one time.

• Like 1

Basically we've now reached a stage where:

• Anyone over the age of 30 is likely to not be an option for the club, as it doesn't fit Mowbray's self-proclaimed policy of signing younger players who will grow in value. Indeed most people on here would seemingly be pessimistic about any such deal as it brings back memories of Danny Murphy and apparently the policy we 'should' be following is to avoid players on their last legs.
  • Anyone at the young end of the scale or unproven will set alarm bells ringing as it will suggest we're still in the developing players for more money phase and there is immense concern at Mowbray's track record on that front.
  • Anyone who has played regularly at Championship or Premier League level and people will lose their minds about us potentially paying or being expected to pay big wages and we 'shouldn't' be going down that route these days. If we sign someone proven people will get their knickers in a twist about us possibly paying out big wages and being at risk under FFP rules.
  • So what we end up with is all the focus being on players from League One who tick all the boxes e.g. not fresh out of an academy, league experience, cheap - e.g. more Dacks or Rothwells knocking about. Unfortunately that doesn't really stack up with what Mowbray was saying in the aftermath of last season when he said he wanted proven quality who would help us immediately push on towards the top 6 in the Championship.
  • Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

• Anyone over the age of 30 is likely to not be an option for the club, as it doesn't fit Mowbray's self-proclaimed policy of signing younger players who will grow in value. Indeed most people on here would seemingly be pessimistic about any such deal as it brings back memories of Danny Murphy and apparently the policy we 'should' be following is to avoid players on their last legs.
  • Anyone at the young end of the scale or unproven will set alarm bells ringing as it will suggest we're still in the developing players for more money phase and there is immense concern at Mowbray's track record on that front.
  • Anyone who has played regularly at Championship or Premier League level and people will lose their minds about us potentially paying or being expected to pay big wages and we 'shouldn't' be going down that route these days. If we sign someone proven people will get their knickers in a twist about us possibly paying out big wages and being at risk under FFP rules.
  • So what we end up with is all the focus being on players from League One who tick all the boxes e.g. not fresh out of an academy, league experience, cheap - e.g. more Dacks or Rothwells knocking about. Unfortunately that doesn't really stack up with what Mowbray was saying in the aftermath of last season when he said he wanted proven quality who would help us immediately push on towards the top 6 in the Championship.

The one's he's being linked with though have plenty proven Championship experience like Fielding, Downing et  so that's his trump card he can't be accused of lying too much.

Fact that they're crocks and ancient cast offs who'll cost big wages not withstanding !

If he delivers at least one marquee signing he could probably get away with the rest otherwise he might be swerving heaping pressure on himself by not spending money if it's there from the owners viewpoint but he's in danger of putting himself firmly in the firing line as far as fans are concerned.

40 minutes ago, JHRover said:

• Anyone over the age of 30 is likely to not be an option for the club, as it doesn't fit Mowbray's self-proclaimed policy of signing younger players who will grow in value.

Unless they are free of course! Like Downing.

7 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

The Murphy brothers are friends of Elliott Bennett as well from their time at Norwich.

Edited by Bootlaces