BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Fraserkirky said:

I actually thought the article was quite good, calling for continuity. Mowbray has a similar budget to last year which is perfectly fine, 8-10m we have a chance to add a few key players and aim to challenge for top 6. The bed wetting needs to stop on here. 

As a Hibs fan, love McGeouch but he is not what we are looking for, injury prone and lacks athleticism for me. Fantastic passer of the ball though.  Not up to Championship standard in my opinion, should head back up to Hibs or Aberdeen. Wasn't first choice in League 1. 

Shame about Jacob Murphy, but I'm sure he ends up in the Championship somewhere. Right age, position etc, Surplus to requirements with the new sheik.

Next name up for Right Wing is Oliver Burke from West Brom, had a mixed time on loan with Celtic, but there were a few games I saw where he was unplayable. Right age for resell. Don't know if he is available or not. 

----------------New---------------

Nyambe New Lenihan New

--------------Travis New-------

----------New Dack Rothwell

------------------New-------------

I would target 6 new players this summer, with only a few leaving. 

Need new GK to challenge Raya

Need New Dominant Centre Half

Need New Starting Left Back, although I like Bell more than most on here. Fine at RB, with Travis able to cover, Bennett wont be going anywhere, JRC able to play there too.

Get Travis a proper quality athletic partner at Centre Midfield

Need a goal threat on the Right Wing, more of an inside forward, Brereton has been tried here to poor results, but I understand why.

New target man needed desperately.

We have enough depth in the squad and enough quality youngsters coming through the 6 new players need to be good enough to go straight into the starting eleven. 

Joe Hart GK (1m Loan Supplement) Them - I don't know how it would work but a season long loan makes sense. 

Jake Cooper CB (4m) Millwall

Jonas Knudson LB (Free) Ipswich

Harrison Reed CM (3m) Southampton

Oliver Burke RW (Loan) West Brom

Charlie Austin ST (1m, 1m wage supplement) Southampton

There is 10m right there, and a team good enough to challenge for top 6.

Think Cooper will command a much higher fee than that sadly...

You've probably got a much better idea than me, but Lawrence Shankland available on a free and being linked with Rangers and Celtic. Scored bags of goals for Ayr, but would he do it at this level?

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

If you think we can get Harrison Reed for £3m then you are a dreamer!!! He's Premier League bound no doubt.

I don’t know about no doubt man. A chance maybe but if I was in the Premiership I think I would be looking for better players than Harrison, no offense to the lad.

Edited by Fraserkirky
  • Like 1

Just now, Miller11 said:

Think Cooper will command a much higher fee than that sadly...

You've probably got a much better idea than me, but Lawrence Shankland available on a free and being linked with Rangers and Celtic. Scored bags of goals for Ayr, but would he do it at this level?

Yeah probably but he would be perfect for us with lenihan. No nonsense, goal threat, hard as nails.

No on Shankland, file under Goodwille section. Goalscorer but doesn’t fit and too much of a gamble. Let’s see if he can do it in the SPL first.

Edited by Fraserkirky
  • Like 1

I actually thought the article was quite good, calling for continuity. Mowbray has a similar budget to last year which is perfectly fine, 8-10m we have a chance to add a few key players and aim to challenge for top 6. The bed wetting needs to stop on here. 

As a Hibs fan, love McGeouch but he is not what we are looking for, injury prone and lacks athleticism for me. Fantastic passer of the ball though.  Not up to Championship standard in my opinion, should head back up to Hibs or Aberdeen. Wasn't first choice in League 1. 

Shame about Jacob Murphy, but I'm sure he ends up in the Championship somewhere. Right age, position etc, Surplus to requirements with the new sheik.

Next name up for Right Wing is Oliver Burke from West Brom, had a mixed time on loan with Celtic, but there were a few games I saw where he was unplayable. Right age for resell. Don't know if he is available or not. 

----------------New---------------

Nyambe New Lenihan New

--------------Travis New-------

----------New Dack Rothwell

------------------New-------------

I would target 6 new players this summer, with only a few leaving. 

Need new GK to challenge Raya

Need New Dominant Centre Half

Need New Starting Left Back, although I like Bell more than most on here. Fine at RB, with Travis able to cover, Bennett wont be going anywhere, JRC able to play there too.

Get Travis a proper quality athletic partner at Centre Midfield

Need a goal threat on the Right Wing, more of an inside forward, Brereton has been tried here to poor results, but I understand why.

New target man needed desperately.

We have enough depth in the squad and enough quality youngsters coming through the 6 new players need to be good enough to go straight into the starting eleven. 

Joe Hart GK (1m Loan Supplement) Them - I don't know how it would work but a season long loan makes sense. 

Jake Cooper CB (4m) Millwall

Jonas Knudson LB (Free) Ipswich

Harrison Reed CM (3m) Southampton

Oliver Burke RW (Loan) West Brom

Charlie Austin ST (1m, 1m wage supplement) Southampton

There is 10m right there, and a team good enough to challenge for top 6.

Don't know enough about all the players you mention to say one way or another, but I agree entirely with where you see the squad. Definitely the bit about Bell. He for sure has some more improving to do, but I think one of the missed stories from our bad run from February was that he was getting steadily better, especially in defence.

Cooper is a name that has cropped up a few times with various clubs, seems highly rate and potentially the dominant centre back that we need. 

• Like 1

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

Don't know enough about all the players you mention to say one way or another, but I agree entirely with where you see the squad. Definitely the bit about Bell. He for sure has some more improving to do, but I think one of the missed stories from our bad run from February was that he was getting steadily better, especially in defence.

Cooper is a name that has cropped up a few times with various clubs, seems highly rate and potentially the dominant centre back that we need. 

I’d happily see us spend every penny Venky’s have given us on Cooper and plug the other gaps with loans and frees. Could easily see him going for 8 mil.

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

Not easy to go back and look but Bell scored a couple and had a hand in a few more from LB. Much more productive going forward down the left than the right. Although Nyambe is so solid, and has fantastic recovery speed.

Not easy to go back and look but Bell scored a couple and had a hand in a few more from LB. Much more productive going forward down the left than the right. Although Nyambe is so solid, and has fantastic recovery speed.

the problem with Nyambe is that he is second in the pecking order lol
Just about second to Bennett

Just now, roverandout said:

What about the young guy at Motherwell. Forgot his name. Scored 16 goals from midfield. He would be available at around 3 million, I've read

This fella? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48471401

No matter what you think about the Scottish league, doing that as a 19 year old is impressive, especially when you're playing for one of the smaller sides.

Even so, I think we're done spending big money on potential, this season has to be about investing funds who can definitely come in and do it now imo. £3million could get us near Luke Freeman, for instance. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

This fella? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48471401

No matter what you think about the Scottish league, doing that as a 19 year old is impressive, especially when you're playing for one of the smaller sides.

Even so, I think we're done spending big money on potential, this season has to be about investing funds who can definitely come in and do it now imo. £3million could get us near Luke Freeman, for instance. 

I think very little of the Scottish league...but I completely agree. First my eyes took in 16 goals (actually 15 turns out) in the SPL, and I went 'eh', then I read onto 'from midfield' and thought 'ooh interesting' then that he was only 19 and suddenly I'm very interested. Not a player I know, obviously, but surely worth scouting and considering. Sounds like 2.5 million from the article you put up, and maybe could be obtained a touch cheaper. Try to make a chunk incentivised etc...

Also worth considering 'midfield' covers a lot of different roles. Anyone know more about whether he plays in that Dack-type 'midfield' role, the wings, etc?

Edited by bluebruce

The Scottish league is pony. Although I think @Scotland1 might disagree with me there :)

It's just so hard to judge when you have one team so dominant. It's difficult for players at other clubs to play well consistently year after year. If they play well, they will end up at Celtic or Rangers and then they basically play with an under 23 team playing under 16s every week.

Certainly some great players there, but you couldn't predict how they will go in England. In fairness McGinn has been a  revelation, but he is in the minority. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

The Scottish league is pony. Although I think @Scotland1 might disagree with me there :)

It's just so hard to judge when you have one team so dominant. It's difficult for players at other clubs to play well consistently year after year. If they play well, they will end up at Celtic or Rangers and then they basically play with an under 23 team playing under 16s every week.

Certainly some great players there, but you couldn't predict how they will go in England. In fairness McGinn has been a  revelation, but he is in the minority. 

It is pony, absolutely. But there are still good players as you say, and even good teams there. I expect Celtic would kick our arse. He outscored every Celtic player, whilst playing for a worse team, in midfield, at 19. A goal every 2 games. 4 or 5 assists too (depending on the source). That's definitely eye-catching.

Obviously it won't tell the whole story...maybe his pace or physicality would be shown up in this league. But got to be worth a closer look you'd think. If he was English and did that in League One at his age you'd be talking more than £3 million.

• Like 2

Just now, bluebruce said:

It is pony, absolutely. But there are still good players as you say, and even good teams there. I expect Celtic would kick our arse. He outscored every Celtic player, whilst playing for a worse team, in midfield, at 19. A goal every 2 games. 4 or 5 assists too (depending on the source). That's definitely eye-catching.

Obviously it won't tell the whole story...maybe his pace or physicality would be shown up in this league. But got to be worth a closer look you'd think. If he was English and did that in League One at his age you'd be talking more than £3 million.

Ya, no doubt Celtic would beat us now. It would be close though I think. Which shows where that league is at. They just have a winning mentality that we could only dream of at the moment. 

I hadn't heard of that guy, but those stats are impressive alright. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Parachute payments will dictate the better players and contacts.  We have neither 

I posted the finances of all the PL clubs. Parachute payments get eaten by Prem League wages of 25 under performers they come down with and then some.

If it is indeed the same budget as last year, that’s a decent amount to play with. As I said yesterday, I suspect TM will sell one of our assets (e.g Raya) so the total transfer spend may end up being closer to 10-15m. 

I watched Bradley Johnson in the play off final , thought he lacked mobility to be honest decent footballer in his day but Harrison Reed he is not !! Maybe one too many injuries , Elphick and Adomoh are interesting especially on a free , and just for those with suspicious minds , pretty sure Adomoh played under TM at Boro ??  would cringe at the kind of wages they would want though , the Scottish lad sounds like he's on the right trajectory 

• Like 1

Just now, rovers11 said:

If it is indeed the same budget as last year, that’s a decent amount to play with. As I said yesterday, I suspect TM will sell one of our assets (e.g Raya) so the total transfer spend may end up being closer to 10-15m. 

I wouldn't be too disappointed with that at all as long as he upgraded the keeper and didn't try to penny pinch in that area.  The reinvestment of that money wisely would be absolutely crucial as to where the club goes next.

Would he heap that kind of pressure on himself though ?  not so sure.

A funny thing, this statement of the budget is 'similar' to last season's. Things to consider...

1. We supposedly didn't spend all of that budget. This means the budget is, in theory, larger than what we actually spent last summer. There may also be funds left over which are added to this budget, or we could be including those funds already, or those funds could have been pure fiction.

2. 'Similar'...that could mean a few million more, it could mean a few million less.

3. The 'flex'. This isn't all transfer budget. Not many of our new signings last year would have been on big wages. A couple of experienced players on bigger deals could eat into the budget much quicker than you'd think.

4. How much of last season's budget was taken up by the new contracts we dished out?

5. Venkys have been known to suddenly sanction a marquee signing on occasion, outside of the budget. Some speculate this is what Brereton was, but it's definitely what Rhodes    was. So this might mean we can knock about 7 million off what our 'budget' from last year was, or that we don't, yet could potentially get an added Rhodes-like signing on top.

As ever (even under the Trust) the real budget is going to remain a bit of a mystery until the end of the window or beyond, as it should be in fairness. Based on all the above, we could see just a few million spent on fees (if we focus on better wages), or we could be splurging 15 million or so, or anything in-between (most likely). All assuming no sales.

Edited by bluebruce

2 hours ago, roverandout said:

Flip side goodwillie

What I don't get with Goodwillie was, with his duck-feet running style and general lack of speed, how did anyone scout him and think he might be good enough in the first place?

• Like 1