BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, JoeHarvey said:

Journalist on twitter saying Grosicki at Hull is on his way. £1.5m bid supposedly accepted.

Forest have been chasing him. Could be bollocks but at least it’s something.

05455124-AE34-42BE-A685-ED23DED9DB25.jpeg.56599d16e2b4d5c4282e033900ebcd5c.jpeg

Can’t believe you’ve fell for one of them fake journo accounts, look at the rest of his tweets! Definitely fake, poor from you that Joe ?

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Grosicki is 31 this week so he's (a bit) younger than Conway. Poland international with decent goalscoring record.

His wife/partner will be welcome at Ewood.

image.jpeg.4e2c85f65f80a2ae6688ad3e6f13f584.jpeg

You’ve just set a new rule... now we need wag pics of every transfer target to judge ?

He looks a player but 31 and I swear Nicki said 2.5 million is what hull quoted Forest. Worried when he said forest had to sell and move wages on and being a PL signing for Hull his wages must be big?

Just now, Butty said:

Can’t believe you’ve fell for one of them fake journo accounts, look at the rest of his tweets! Definitely fake, poor from you that Joe ?

so its fake news, damn i just wanted to get excited for something for more then a minute haha

Just now, Butty said:

He hears a lot from his sauces!

(Bowery, not Joe)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeHarvey said:

Not a clue. Likely bollocks. Even Alan Nixon won’t put his name to it.

All I know is Forest looking at him.

If he signs for us I'd be gobsmacked.  He would be our best player by a mile, top quality and a polish international who plays now. On a massive premier league contract which is ended. I'd be very happy so we won't get him.

Edited by Sparks Rover

55 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

If he signs for us I'd be gobsmacked.  He would be our best player by a mile, top quality and a polish international who plays now. On a massive premier league contract which is ended. I'd be very happy so we won't get him.

Well it’s a fake link so I wouldn’t get your hopes up! 

45 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Don’t think we need a left winger though.

We need as many wingers as we can get. Chapman the only true winger at the club now (not including youth team players) 

Rothwell better suited centrally, Bennett definitely not a winger and Conway gone. 

10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

A common myth. Look at last season. Benrahma, Canos and Watkins at Brentford. Hernandez and Buendia at Norwich. Harrison at Leeds. Barkhuizen at Preston. Murphy, Montero, Barnes and Phillips at WBA. Adomah, Green and El Ghazi at Villa. Wilson, Jozefzoon and Holmes at Derby. Lolley at Forest. Eliasson at Bristol City. James and Dyer at Swansea. Grosicki and Bowen at Hull. Ince and McLean at Stoke. Taylor at Rotherham. Maghoma at Birmingham. Osayi Samuel at QPR. Edwards at Ipswich. Ameobi at Bolton.

One or two of them may be wingers who play on their weaker side and cut in, but wingers are very much still effective. I also think from our current team, Armstrong is 100x more effective on the right playing as a winger than on the left repeatedly coming into traffic.

I think you’ve just perfectly corroborated  my point.

Wingers in the truest sense are Ripley and Wilcox, kanchelskis and Giggs (before he was converted). Wingers are quick. Their job it to stay out wide and offer options down the outside of full backs. Right footers play on the right and left footers on the left. They do this because their job in the last third, when they’re not dribbling past full backs is to take one touch out of their feet, open their bodies up and swing in a cross.

Barely any of the other players you have mentioned do a job even close to this now. They are wide attackers who are usually utilised on the opposite side to their preferred foot. Their job is to play creatively in the space between midfield and the oppositions defence in ‘pockets’ and then to make runs between the fullback and cb from an “out to in” perspective. 

Adam Armstrong is not a winger and never has been. Regardless of which side he plays.

So yeah, no one plays with wingers ??

• Like 3

Sounds to me like a move agreed or very close to being if Waggott is talking about it like that in the paper.

Nothing to get excited about. Effectively waving goodbye to Conway and replacing him with Downing. Both well past their best, both free agents, don't imagine Downing will be costing much more at his age. I suppose at least he was playing regularly for a team in the top 6 most of last season...

Not really the first signing i was hoping for (if it happens)

He'll be here for 1 season and all he will do is take away game time to younger, more long term prospects.

Mowbray seems to like having older players around, i'm guessing he would be looking at Downing to bring his experience to the training ground/dressing room etc.

Just been scanning for background on Downing currently

- Boro thought he was finished at 34 but plenty of evidence he was arguably one of their best players in the first half of last season. The Middlesbrough Gazette describe his last season:

"He is widely spoken of as still Boro’s most technically gifted player, one who retains and recycles possession and who keeps a cool head under pressure and the one player who sprinkle some top flight quality.

"And as the pressures mounted on Karanka, Downing became a scapegoat for the boss... But he knuckled down, won his place back and was back in the team. And with the arrival of Tony Pulis he was restored as a fixture.

"In many respects Downing is the opposite of a ‘Pulis player’ but the new boss couldn’t praise him highly enough; for his touch, his composure, his workrate and his nous. And while the low key booing went on, he enjoyed an Indian Summer.

"He wasn’t skinning full-backs and crossing from the byline. He dropped deep to collect in midfield to pick out runs further forward.

"He was a polished playmaker who rarely wasted the ball, a neat player with a delicate touch, great vision and incisive distribution."

- Downing then got into a disagreement with Pulis and couldn't play part of the second half of last season because of the contract dispute. So he has bust up with Boro's last two Managers.

- Boro are open to giving him a new contract but that is a decision to be taken as and when they get a new manager. That seems to be between Jonathan Woodgate and the Barnsley Manager. Meantime clubs are hovering over several Boro players.

- Downing also attracting serious interest from Gerrard at Rangers and Bruce at Sheffield Wednesday

- So it is a case for Rovers to get him now while Boro are without a boss or forget it.

If he can do a top job for us for one season, we have so many young players coming through, I am fine with that.

As for wingeing about the order in which new signings are made... 

Edited by philipl
  • Like 2

Personally I am hugely disappointed with the potential signing of Downing. It seems like a signing of convenience and within Mowbrays comfort zone but I honestly don't feel he will improve the squad or impact positively on our top six push. He will also come in as one of our best paid players. The length of any deal will be interesting.

I have some close friends who are Middlesbrough supporters and they are surprised by our interest in him.

15 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Given the fact that Downing played 40 times for a top 6 team last year I'd absolutely take him as a direct replacement for Conway. Not a bad bit of business to start the window if it happens. 

2 goals and 1 assist.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

3 minutes ago, philipl said:

Just been scanning for background on Downing currently

- Boro thought he was finished at 34 but plenty of evidence he was arguably one of their best players in the first half of last season. The Middlesbrough Gazette describe his last season:

"He is widely spoken of as still Boro’s most technically gifted player, one who retains and recycles possession and who keeps a cool head under pressure and the one player who sprinkle some top flight quality.

"And as the pressures mounted on Karanka, Downing became a scapegoat for the boss... But he knuckled down, won his place back and was back in the team. And with the arrival of Tony Pulis he was restored as a fixture.

"In many respects Downing is the opposite of a ‘Pulis player’ but the new boss couldn’t praise him highly enough; for his touch, his composure, his workrate and his nous. And while the low key booing went on, he enjoyed an Indian Summer.

"He wasn’t skinning full-backs and crossing from the byline. He dropped deep to collect in midfield to pick out runs further forward.

"He was a polished playmaker who rarely wasted the ball, a neat player with a delicate touch, great vision and incisive distribution."

- Downing then got into a disagreement with Pulis and couldn't play part of the second half of last season because of the contract dispute. So he has bust up with Boro's last two Managers.

- Boro are open to giving him a new contract but that is a decision to be taken as and when they get a new manager. That seems to be between Jonathan Woodgate and the Barnsley Manager. Meantime clubs are hovering over several Boro players.

- Downing also attracting serious interest from Gerrard at Rangers and Bruce at Sheffield Wednesday

- So it is a case for Rovers to get him now while Boro are without a boss or forget it.

If he can do a top job for us for one season, we have so many young players coming through, I am fine with that.

As for wingeing about the order in which new signings are made... 

Pulis wanted him gone in January to free-up his 35k pw wage. Downing sat tight, understandably. If he had started just one more game at Boro he got an extension plus a wage increase.

• Like 1

Grosicki would be a great signing. The missus is polish so I have watched a lot of him. Direct, hard working and honest player. He would fit in well. 

Downing , a bit of experience is good, we need it. I wouldnt be over reacting about it all. The links being drawn to Murphy are silly but not surprising. It will happen with any player we sign over 30. Some posters are like broken records. Then someone above said it goes against our new plans to recruit from Europe. Just please stop being silly. They aren't mutually exclusive. 

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

I think you’ve just perfectly corroborated  my point.

Wingers in the truest sense are Ripley and Wilcox, kanchelskis and Giggs (before he was converted). Wingers are quick. Their job it to stay out wide and offer options down the outside of full backs. Right footers play on the right and left footers on the left. They do this because their job in the last third, when they’re not dribbling past full backs is to take one touch out of their feet, open their bodies up and swing in a cross.

Barely any of the other players you have mentioned do a job even close to this now. They are wide attackers who are usually utilised on the opposite side to their preferred foot. Their job is to play creatively in the space between midfield and the oppositions defence in ‘pockets’ and then to make runs between the fullback and cb from an “out to in” perspective. 

Adam Armstrong is not a winger and never has been. Regardless of which side he plays.

So yeah, no one plays with wingers ??

Many of the players I mentioned are pacy wingers who play on their natural side. Whether the tactical requirements of a winger has changed is neither here nor there, many teams play with out and out wingers.

My point about Armstrong was that he is far better on the right than on the left.