BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

11 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Downing, no thanks. And that’s from somebody who has rated him throughout his career, I just think his position at 35 is a no no. Don’t think he would ever be welcomed as a starter due to his age, Christ we wrote Conway, Graham, mulgrew off due to age and they are all younger than him. Much rather his wages got used on younger and hungrier players. Downing at 32 would be a great signing, at 35 we would be rightly laughed at and beaten by a stick by other fans 

Unless he turned out to be a success.

Yup, quite a few overreacting as per. Downing hasn’t signed anything yet. Moreover, surely any signings have to be looked at in full context. Any signing can look good or bad as a one off. 

Downing doesn’t particularly inspire me either. Let’s see how it plays out.

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Yup, quite a few overreacting as per. Downing hasn’t signed anything yet. Moreover, surely any signings have to be looked at in full context. Any signing can look good or bad as a one off. 

Downing doesn’t particularly inspire me either. Let’s see how it plays out.

When you say overreacting it looks like you mean there are more posts from naysayers than delighted fans. That’s not an overreaction it’s a number of reactions.

You then go on to say that he doesn’t inspire you!

Although he isn’t what I would call a priority can see the merits in such a signing. He is a player that Mowbray will know (trust/loyalty factor), he has bags of experience and should be a good influence in the dressing room and he is/was a quality footballer. In the mid-to-late 80s we had many an aged former pro come here: Ossy Ardilles, Kevin Moran, Frank Stapleton, Steve Archibald, etc.

The problem we have is that in recent times, Murphy (spit), Etuhu, Whittingham, Greer, Wes Brown - have all been dismal failures.

Edited by Stuart
  • Like 2

If there's an Argentinian world Cup winner on his way I will be delighted. 

We can't exactly have millions and millions to spend, so I'd rather we focused on the areas that matter. 

He could be worth it, but he was on 40 odd at boro, so would he drop to 10 or so? I am not sure. 

TM has done well, but his transfers seem a bit scattergun and our defence is our weaklink. Get that sorted and then sign a downing, if funds allow. 

Just now, Dr X said:

If there's an Argentinian world Cup winner on his way I will be delighted. 

We can't exactly have millions and millions to spend, so I'd rather we focused on the areas that matter. 

He could be worth it, but he was on 40 odd at boro, so would he drop to 10 or so? I am not sure. 

Ouch...and I wouldn't really want to pay him 10 or so tbh. I don't believe I want us to pay him any amount he would actually come for, although I do think he'd be an upgrade on Conway. Rather get someone younger. I feel like the wing is probably the absolute most vulnerable position to becoming not good enough overnight when your legs go.

Just now, bluebruce said:

Ouch...and I wouldn't really want to pay him 10 or so tbh. I don't believe I want us to pay him any amount he would actually come for, although I do think he'd be an upgrade on Conway. Rather get someone younger. I feel like the wing is probably the absolute most vulnerable position to becoming not good enough overnight when your legs go.

I agree he is a better player than Conway, but we have plenty of wide players and Chapman for me replaces him. 

He could be good in the middle, but it is also a position that requires legs. Up down all game? Can he do it? 

If we need a been there and done that type, let's get it in a role that doesn't always need legs. That way he might last longer than a season and also lessens the concern in regards fitness. 

Chuck the 10k a week on the CBs wages and get us a real beast. A dream would be Cahill, he's a great bloke and quality. Derby are keen so who knows, but won't be cheap. Ashley Williams? Is he out of contract? Jagielka? 

I would like to see us sign one and play a back three as below:

Newbie Lenihan

Mulgrew

• Like 1

• Backroom

The thing that is concerning about Downing rather than his ability or age is that after all the talk of the scouting network the first real link is another of the Boro boys, it doesn’t instill confidence 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Bennett will be first name on the team sheet. He will start the season at either right back or right midfield.

And until that stops we will be utter shite. Watch him every week and he is dreadful. Mean looking fist pump and active Twitter buddy though. Would take Stewart Downing at RB over Benno.

Edited by Fraserkirky
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tom said:

The thing that is concerning about Downing rather than his ability or age is that after all the talk of the scouting network the first real link is another of the Boro boys, it doesn’t instill confidence 

It’s a good point but it might just be a case of opportunity knocks.

He does need to follow up though by unearthing a Samba or a Friedel - or even a Pedersen or Olsson.

• Like 1

Just now, Fraserkirky said:

And until that stops we will be utter shite. Watch him every week and he is dreadful. Mean looking fist pump and active Twitter buddy though. Would take Stewart Downing at RB over Benno.

Or just buy a right back...

Think Downing is finished.

More Mowbray nonsense.

You build from the back.

Alisson showed just how important a good goalie is in Liverpool's CL triumph.

Will Mowbray ever learn!?!?

I very much doubt we have a pot to p1ss in.  Think signing Downing would be a waste of pressure resource which could be much better used elsewhere.

• Like 1

Just now, Mercer said:

Think Downing is finished.

More Mowbray nonsense.

You build from the back.

Alisson showed just how important a good goalie is in Liverpool's CL triumph.

Will Mowbray ever learn!?!?

I very much doubt we have a pot to p1ss in.  Think signing Downing would be a waste of pressure resource which could be much better used elsewhere.

Did Alisson even touch the ball on Saturday?

• Backroom
4 hours ago, Swanson said:

Is this the point where I slit my wrists? Or is it the point where I think ‘That would quite literally have been an unreal signing, who shall we try for next’?

Just now, Mike E said:

Is this the point where I slit my wrists? Or is it the point where I think ‘That would quite literally have been an unreal signing, who shall we try for next’?

Utrecht’s new manager played a big part in it though.

He definitely needs to become Baggies manager at some point.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Did Alisson even touch the ball on Saturday?

Made a couple of saves when called upon. He’s been class this season you can’t say having him in goal hasn’t helped Liverpool massively, they had Karius and Mignolet before him, had they had Alison in goal for the final last year they might have just made it two in a row. Mercer I agree with for once, you build from the back we should be looking at sorting the keeper situation and the defence before anything else. There’s a long way to go though this summer, if Downing is brought in simply as back up and we go on and sign a few players too improve our first team I wouldn’t mind too much. Too early too be losing our heads yet, we’ve got all summer too do that. ? 

7 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

You don't have to tell me that.

There is no way that Bennett doesn't start next season though.

• Moderation Lead

I know some people will disagree at times, but it would be a lot easier if reactions were referred to as such, instead of 'over-reactions'.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, davulsukur said:

I'm fairly certain that's what Cardiff and Fulham fans said about Whittingham and Murphy.

He could turn out as a decent enough signing but we are right to be skeptical based on past signings

Not really, as each signing has to be taken on it's own merits 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Did you watch the game? 

Alisson was the best player on the park. He has been worth every penny invested in him. I would love us to spend big on a keeper. In a league like this it can make the world of difference. Begovic on loan would be my call. I would pay £25,000 a week on wages for him. 

• Like 4