BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

Alisson was the best player on the park. He has been worth every penny invested in him. I would love us to spend big on a keeper. In a league like this it can make the world of difference. Begovic on loan would be my call. I would pay £25,000 a week on wages for him. 

I whole heartily agree. Can make or break your season. Someone like Begovic would have saved us 10 points last season. 

26 minutes ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

Alisson was the best player on the park. He has been worth every penny invested in him. I would love us to spend big on a keeper. In a league like this it can make the world of difference. Begovic on loan would be my call. I would pay £25,000 a week on wages for him. 

You must be a pretty wealthy guy to be able to afraid that sort of dosh. Does the club know you'd like to be a benefactor ?

On a more serious note I agree that your goalkeeper is a key position, Bryan Clough used to say " Nobody can lose you a game quicker than your goalkeeper ".

I just can't see us ever paying those wages again for a goalie.

53 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I whole heartily agree. Can make or break your season. Someone like Begovic would have saved us 10 points last season. 

Is this reaction, over-reaction, or speculation

You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig yet some will always accept it as a beautiful woman who just needs a chance if the right people tell them so, if those same right people said it was a pig with lipstick on then it would then automatically be a porker in their eyes.

Majority rules for a reason !

The money on Downings wages can and should be put to better use, we've been here before it isn't rocket science.

Edited by tomphil

1 hour ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

Get your goalie and defence right and you have half a chance. 

Forest won two European Cup Finals by 1-0 with Peter Shilton in goal.

Remember the old '1-0 to the Arsenal' song!?!?

We conceded goals for fun last season and needing to score two and sometimes three goals to even draw a game is ridiculous.

Do we not have the players or is it just the manager who can't organise a defence?  Personally, I think it's a combination of both.

Last season, right from the off, it was clear we needed better players defensively.  Mowbray's response, squander (IMO) £7million+ on Brereton who contributed virtually nothing to the season.

We are in the same boat now and it seems we are in for, IMO, an expensive and 'finished' Downing - not a priority.

It's laughable.  Last season, Mowbray thought we were okay defensively and then after a number of defeats, IMO, blames his defensive players and states we need new players - has he no organisational skills to get the best out of what we had?  Constantly playing Bennett at right back offers Mowbray no defence from criticism.  Let's see what he does - not holding my breath though.

Edited by Mercer

Just now, tomphil said:

You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig yet some will always accept it as a beautiful woman who just needs a chance if the right people tell them so, if those same right people said it was a pig with lipstick on then it would then automatically be a porker in their eyes.

Not always for good reasons. Look at BREXIT 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Not always for good reasons. Look at BREXIT 

And to avoid it dragging out like that they need to go with the majority feeling, put it to bed and move on. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

The money on Downings wages can and should be put to better use, we've been here before it isn't rocket science.

In aviation,rocket science is quite simple 

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Quite simply , if mowbray doesn’t sort the defence this summer he is a goner. On his head be it if he doesn’t strengthen it 

So you are Mme Desai, are you? The sacking of a manager hasn't really been about fans' reactions, or results here since the Rao family rocked up. Mowbray will not necessarily be sacked if he doesn't sort the defence. You or I might think he should be but that counts for next to nothing at Rovers

4 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Typical Rovers fans overrea.... oh

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/downing.1475865/

So I would summise that they do not want him - don't think i saw a single poster who thought he would be a good signing and that's for League 1. Even a few Boro fans were ont heir saying he has not been anywhere near as good since he came back, poor return in goals and assists.

16 hours ago, Butty said:

Made a couple of saves when called upon. He’s been class this season you can’t say having him in goal hasn’t helped Liverpool massively, they had Karius and Mignolet before him, had they had Alison in goal for the final last year they might have just made it two in a row. Mercer I agree with for once, you build from the back we should be looking at sorting the keeper situation and the defence before anything else. There’s a long way to go though this summer, if Downing is brought in simply as back up and we go on and sign a few players too improve our first team I wouldn’t mind too much. Too early too be losing our heads yet, we’ve got all summer too do that. ? 

Even just coming out and catching a cross makes a massive diffference. Without doing anything spectacular a solid keeoer can help your team win - even if it doesn't make the highlights.

We all know what happens when you have a rooter/flapper. Panic, panic, panic almost every time it's put in the mixer.

Edited by Husky
  • Like 1

In fairness Sunderland fans don't like him because he plays for Boro.

To be honest, I actually never liked downing, even when he signed for Villa and Liverpool for big money. However, as an experienced head to replace Conway, I can see the logic in it. 

More of interest to me is where we spend fees on players. 

• Like 1

• Backroom

From my perspective I don't think we need an experienced head to replace Conway. We already have plenty of experience in the team - Graham, Mulgrew, Bennett, Evans. How many more experienced pros do we need to make a difference? I'd rather have a player who can actually contribute for most of the season and could potentially have a long future with us (or decent sell on value if need be). If we were going to bring any kind of experience in I'd rather it was in the goalkeeping position, where age is less of an issue. We're fine elsewhere. 

• Like 3

Just now, DE. said:

From my perspective I don't think we need an experienced head to replace Conway. We already have plenty of experience in the team - Graham, Mulgrew, Bennett, Evans. How many more experienced pros do we need to make a difference? I'd rather have a player who can actually contribute for most of the season and could potentially have a long future with us (or decent sell on value if need be). If we were going to bring any kind of experience in I'd rather it was in the goalkeeping position, where age is less of an issue. We're fine elsewhere. 

Echos my thoughts, bar the keeper. 

I really want to see some strategy to our transfer dealings this summer. 

Anyways we'll probably be in August before we sign anyone. 

Just now, DE. said:

Out of the 4 you mention, who many have won anything or being promoted? Mulgrew is the stand out. We need guys with experience of winning things and being promoted. Granted, they don't have to be 35! 

Out of the 4 you mention, who many have won anything or being promoted? Mulgrew is the stand out. We need guys with experience of winning things and being promoted. Granted, they don't have to be 35! 

Could argue they were all promoted last year. Just saying

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

In fairness Sunderland fans don't like him because he plays for Boro.

To be honest, I actually never liked downing, even when he signed for Villa and Liverpool for big money. However, as an experienced head to replace Conway, I can see the logic in it. 

More of interest to me is where we spend fees on players. 

Pay the wages the likes of Downing will want and there'll be precious little left for fees!

IMO, this would be another Danny Murphy and Etuhu scenario.

Think it's a horrible proposal and a retrograde step.  IMO, Mowbray can't work the market and his lack of imagination and nous shows.

• Like 1

• Backroom

Graham, Bennett, and Evans have all been involved in promotions to the PL.

• Like 1