BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Mercer said:

Pay the wages the likes of Downing will want and there'll be precious little left for fees!

IMO, this would be another Danny Murphy and Etuhu scenario.

Think it's a horrible proposal and a retrograde step.  IMO, Mowbray can't work the market and his lack of imagination and nous shows.

Or at his advanced age his wage demands have dropped to a level where we can sign him to fill for Conway whilst using money to strength other areas

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Pay the wages the likes of Downing will want and there'll be precious little left for fees!

IMO, this would be another Danny Murphy and Etuhu scenario.

Think it's a horrible proposal and a retrograde step.  IMO, Mowbray can't work the market and his lack of imagination and nous shows.

I don't see how signing him will impact on fees for transfers. Conway and Downing leaving will free up more in wages than we will pay Stewart Downing. 

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

In fairness Sunderland fans don't like him because he plays for Boro.

To be honest, I actually never liked downing, even when he signed for Villa and Liverpool for big money. However, as an experienced head to replace Conway, I can see the logic in it. 

More of interest to me is where we spend fees on players. 

In fairness, that a bit of a stretch. 

I didn’t see any reference to that on the Sunderland forum that was linked here.

Also, that really isn’t much of a rivalry...

Just now, K-Hod said:

I didn’t see any reference to that on the Sunderland forum that was linked here.

Ya, you are right actually. Read some of the thread there. 

It seems they both keep their animosity for Newcastle. What's that about? 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Solid, tough, combative defender, a leader on the pitch and still fit and hungry to play at 36. 

Can't see another PL club taking him on and would do an excellent job for us. Wages, as ever, would probably be a problem. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48519451

Would take a 36 old CH over a 36 winger any day of the week. Tell him to bring Baines with him.

13 minutes ago, philipl said:

I must have missed the Downing signing. Welcome Stewart!

My thought too Philip. I’ve been trying to find any comment from Mowbray about Stewart Downing. Has he stated that he wants to sign him?

It all seemed to start with a journalist from the Yorkshire Evening Post, picked up by a Sky Sports News guy then the LET “understanding” talks may take place with him.

Stuart provided these links for us but does anyone have other links?

8 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Solid, tough, combative defender, a leader on the pitch and still fit and hungry to play at 36. 

Can't see another PL club taking him on and would do an excellent job for us. Wages, as ever, would probably be a problem. 

Good shout.

Moran and Short played as centre backs for Rovers until they were both 37/38 and they were pretty good!

IMO, would be a terrific signing and offer far more to the team than Downing.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, tonygreenbank said:

My thought too Philip. I’ve been trying to find any comment from Mowbray about Stewart Downing. Has he stated that he wants to sign him?

It all seemed to start with a journalist from the Yorkshire Evening Post, picked up by a Sky Sports News guy then the LET “understanding” talks may take place with him.

Followed by our chief exec actively talking about our interest.

26 minutes ago, tonygreenbank said:

Sharpe will look very foolish very quickly if he starts printing hearsay that ends up being unsubstantiated.

Chances are that we have made enquiries but that he will choose elsewhere.

As for Jagielka, an emotional return to the Blades seems more likely as they will now be able to afford his wages.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/phil-jagielka-sheffield-united-stoke-2941719

3 hours ago, gumboots said:

So you are Mme Desai, are you? The sacking of a manager hasn't really been about fans' reactions, or results here since the Rao family rocked up. Mowbray will not necessarily be sacked if he doesn't sort the defence. You or I might think he should be but that counts for next to nothing at Rovers

Think it’s a fair jump that should we faltering towards the lower end of the table with same problems as last year, with fans on his back, he would be a goner 

My take on this transfer window.

we need first and foremost a strong backbone which is absolutely essential for any team, particularly in the championship.

Goal keeper - Debatable.  Poor season after horrible injury but he is in the mindset of the clash (should I stay or should I go) because centre defence just not good enough.  Therefore new central defender an absolute must, we can have great wingers, great forward thinking midfield players but without the backbone we will lose more than we win ie if we score 4 but opponents score 5, result is zero points.  Any money available should go to that position which should be priority.

Up top - Depending the formation, Graham will be ok for one more season but not a priority replacement.  If we change formation and pace becomes far more relevant then BB will come into his own, I think he will prove doubters wrong but it will need a change of style.  Therefore no need to break the bank for another striker.

Next we need a a right back and possibly left back who can defend without the need for centre backs being pulled out of position to cover which in turn puts pressure on the keeper.  I am not sure about either Bell or Nyambie but Bennett is not right there.  So if money available we need at least one new full back.

No need to spend in either midfield or up front because we are covered.  

That would be my priority and that is what I would look at improving before any other positions are even thought about.  It’s all about priorities.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

I do believe I put his name out there a few pages ago (edit page 58 to be precise) - the leader we crave. 

As for Downing, I've always thought he's shit ..now he's old and shit.

Edited by LDRover
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Did you watch the game? 

Sadly, yes. Spurs had three shots of note - all three were routine saves for a Sunday League keeper.

The Champions League final was the wrong game to wax lyrical about him.

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

He wasn't that tough and solid when Dack put him on his arse!

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller
Auto correct nightmare
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Actually as a Smoggie myself I can tell you we always hated Sunderland as they spent more time in our league. They hated Newcastle because they were geographically nearer.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Darwen Rover 007 said:

Perhaps we should go for both Jagielka and Baines... would be a real signal of intent would fix 2 of our biggest issues.. then we just need a reliable keeper and another striker in my view.. 

No thank you at all. Dack bullied him around the park, Dack didn't destroy many people like he did Jagielka playing in the championship. He's not up to it.

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

No thank you at all. Dack bullied him around the park, Dack didn't destroy many people like he did Jagielka playing in the championship. He's not up to it.

Not arguing for Jagielka at all but perhaps Dack is better suited playing against Premier League opponents?

10 hours ago, 4000Holes said:

My take on this transfer window.

we need first and foremost a strong backbone which is absolutely essential for any team, particularly in the championship.

Goal keeper - Debatable.  Poor season after horrible injury but he is in the mindset of the clash (should I stay or should I go) because centre defence just not good enough.  Therefore new central defender an absolute must, we can have great wingers, great forward thinking midfield players but without the backbone we will lose more than we win ie if we score 4 but opponents score 5, result is zero points.  Any money available should go to that position which should be priority.

Up top - Depending the formation, Graham will be ok for one more season but not a priority replacement.  If we change formation and pace becomes far more relevant then BB will come into his own, I think he will prove doubters wrong but it will need a change of style.  Therefore no need to break the bank for another striker.

Next we need a a right back and possibly left back who can defend without the need for centre backs being pulled out of position to cover which in turn puts pressure on the keeper.  I am not sure about either Bell or Nyambie but Bennett is not right there.  So if money available we need at least one new full back.

No need to spend in either midfield or up front because we are covered.  

That would be my priority and that is what I would look at improving before any other positions are even thought about.  It’s all about priorities.

The only thing that I would alter to the above is I would prioritise a new left back. Personally I think Bell is woeful as a defender, but Nyambe is passable. 

10 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

No maps in your house ?

No, but we have the internet. Why would I have a map of England anyway? 

What is your deduction from the map so smart ass? Not sure how it explains why Boro and Sunderland both class Newcastle as a rival but not each other- care to enlighten us headens with your knowledge? 

10 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Sadly, yes. Spurs had three shots of note - all three were routine saves for a Sunday League keeper.

The Champions League final was the wrong game to wax lyrical about him.

Good keepers make it all look easy. The save from Moura in particular was an excellent one. Got down like lightening to it. He was solid from crosses as well. 

• Like 1