BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Good keepers make it all look easy. The save from Moura in particular was an excellent one. Got down like lightening to it. He was solid from crosses as well. 

The key to how a top class keeper improves a team isn’t how many saves they make. It’s the confidence that they give their team mates that they can be relied upon. 

Allison vs Karius is the perfect portrayal of that. 

• Like 2

I think it's about time Jack Rodwell decides his future in truth. I think the reason why fans take to players like Conway is because they behave in an appropriate way. He hasn't lead us on, he made a decision early on and gave both us and him the opportunity to plan ahead. It kind of feels like Rodwell is now hanging on for a better offer and if he gets one at the 11th hour he will take that and leave us in the shit.

• Like 2

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

I think it's about time Jack Rodwell decides his future in truth. I think the reason why fans take to players like Conway is because they behave in an appropriate way. He hasn't lead us on, he made a decision early on and gave both us and him the opportunity to plan ahead. It kind of feels like Rodwell is now hanging on for a better offer and if he gets one at the 11th hour he will take that and leave us in the shit.

I agree it is dragging on a bit now. Is he out of contract the end of June?

I wonder if he is looking for a better offer from a monetary point of view or more game time? Either one is a bit worrying as he should be prepared to back himself and try get in the team, unless he is resigned to the fact he will never be a consistent starter under Mowbray....

I don't think we will be in the shit if he doesn't sign, but it will mean we have to recruit another body 

I hope he signs 

When asked about being a top keeper and wanting to play for England etc Tim Flowers said along the lines of  'Just minimise the mistakes that's the key to consistency because every slip up costs a goal so just cut out mistakes'

David Seaman - ' Always work on the basics and get those right first, people remember the cock ups not the top corner saves. Always form an understanding with your defence that can save you a lot of work ypurself'.

Give me a solid big keeper who can catch, punch, clear his lines, sort his defence and kick over a cat like spectacular keeper any day.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

No, but we have the internet. Why would I have a map of England anyway? 

What is your deduction from the map so smart ass? Not sure how it explains why Boro and Sunderland both class Newcastle as a rival but not each other- care to enlighten us headens with your knowledge? 

Well a map of England would help you find your way to Ewood Park one day.

47 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

But our manager should be turning around and telling him straight we want you to stay but we want a decision by mid June at the latest we've a squad to prepare.

Mowbrays attitude to it all seems too relaxed for me telling everyone stay if you want, go if you prefer but either way it's up to you. How the hell is that supposed to be proper planning ?

• Like 4

Just now, tomphil said:

But our manager should be turning around and telling him straight we want you to stay but we want a decision by mid June at the latest we've a squad to prepare.

Mowbrays attitude to it all seems too relaxed for me telling everyone stay if you want, go if you prefer but either way it's up to you. How the hell is that supposed to be proper planning ?

Think you've hit the nail on the head there. Using Smallwood as an example (assuming he's one of the players that's been told he'll play less next season)..

Mowbray is essentially saying that the player has been told that due to us looking to progress, they won't get as much game time anymore and are free to find themselves another club if they wish. That means that if they don't decide to look around, they'll be sitting on their wage with very little game time. 

In reality we should be doing all we can to flog that player to another club if we've deemed them surplus to requirements. He's just taking up a wage and a spot in the squad, when we should be signing someone else that's better.

Just now, tomphil said:

Isn't he under contract until the end of June though? We are really left with little to no choice but to wait. I don't think Mowbray has any flex in this situation, sadly.

It's the reason for my comparison with Conway - he had the respect to make the decision early and move on, Rodwell should do the same if he doesn't want to sign. We want players at this club that want to play football and play football for Rovers - I'm simply not getting that vibe from Rodwell because all we keep hearing is how "patient" the club is being whilst offers from Serie A are whispered about.

Rodwell will be looking at all options, including wages and playing time.

I certainly can't fault him for that, why should he be rushed.

Mowbray can always take the decision away from Rodwell if he wants, just withdraw whatever offer was made and get the finger out on proper recruitment,

I suspect Rodwell was not promised a starting place at Rovers with wages to match ....

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

Think you've hit the nail on the head there. Using Smallwood as an example (assuming he's one of the players that's been told he'll play less next season)..

Mowbray is essentially saying that the player has been told that due to us looking to progress, they won't get as much game time anymore and are free to find themselves another club if they wish. That means that if they don't decide to look around, they'll be sitting on their wage with very little game time. 

In reality we should be doing all we can to flog that player to another club if we've deemed them surplus to requirements. He's just taking up a wage and a spot in the squad, when we should be signing someone else that's better.

Spot on because at some point we'll be told a good player we were linked with went somewhere else because they offered a few grand per week more yet it's like we have to carry loads until they sort themselves out because we are nice like that.

15 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Isn't he under contract until the end of June though? We are really left with little to no choice but to wait. I don't think Mowbray has any flex in this situation, sadly.

It's the reason for my comparison with Conway - he had the respect to make the decision early and move on, Rodwell should do the same if he doesn't want to sign. We want players at this club that want to play football and play football for Rovers - I'm simply not getting that vibe from Rodwell because all we keep hearing is how "patient" the club is being whilst offers from Serie A are whispered about.

Yes good point about the contract but it's still only a few weeks away so Rodwell is still basically saying i'll see what's in when my contract ends and let you know when it really should be the other way around.  There's the deal if you don't sign it before your present one expires then thanks very much we wish you well.

Maybe that is the case but it's not the impression TM gives, Rodwell is handy but he isn't worth pushing the boat out for or being made to wait for imo.

The relaxed nature isn't my cup of tea if ever there was a time to put the foot down and shake things up a bit it's now.

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Spot on because at some point we'll be told a good player we were linked with went somewhere else because they offered a few grand per week more yet it's like we have to carry loads until they sort themselves out because we are nice like that.

It wouldn't be too bad if it was just one player, but if you evaluate our current crop, there are probably 5-6 players in a similar position. 

That's a lot of wage taken up by squad players. We lack urgency and wriggle room for negotiations while we wait around. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

It wouldn't be too bad if it was just one player, but if you evaluate our current crop, there are probably 5-6 players in a similar position. 

That's a lot of wage taken up by squad players. We lack urgency and wriggle room for negotiations while we wait around. 

Those 5 - 6 players, did they get contract extensions and improvements early last Season and now we expect them to just walk away?

Football doesn't usually work like that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RoverKyle said:

But what if their basic wage is relatively low, with top ups based on games played? 

As we don’t know details of how players wages are packaged/ incentivised it’s futile to speculate. Good fun, but futile.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

We don't have 5-6 players mulling over contract offers. 

Every club has squad players. You have no idea that we lack either urgency or wiggle room. 

16 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We don't have 5-6 players mulling over contract offers. 

Every club has squad players. You have no idea that we lack either urgency or wiggle room. 

Why are you so argumentative?

I'd agree that we only have a couple of players considering offers but we evidently don't have much urgency as a consequence of bugger all having happened and because of our budget and only 2,500 season tickets being sold, don't have much wiggle room financially either.

Season tickets sold thus far probably cover Ben Gladwin's wage for the year, enough said..

Would it be absurd to ask about Sturridge? I mean his last outing was at West Brom where he failed miserably, he can't have his sights set too high...plus here he would be a guaranteed starter every game. This is if he wants to play football. If he is happy warming the bench with much higher wager at another club for the rest of his career...that would be unfortunate.

• Like 2

Just now, darrenrover said:

Why are you so argumentative?

I'd agree that we only have a couple of players considering offers but we evidently don't have much urgency as a consequence of bugger all having happened and because of our budget and only 2,500 season tickets being sold, don't have much wiggle room financially either.

Season tickets sold thus far probably cover Ben Gladwin's wage for the year, enough said..

We have 1 player considering an offer. 1. Not a couple. 

We are the same as many, many other clubs in that regards. At last count 4 Championship clubs had made signings. 

I'm not argumentative, I just point out silliness. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to get to all of it :) 

Just now, Mr. E said:

Would it be absurd to ask about Sturridge? I mean his last outing was at West Brom where he failed miserably, he can't have his sights set too high...plus here he would be a guaranteed starter every game. This is if he wants to play football. If he is happy warming the bench with much higher wager at another club for the rest of his career...that would be unfortunate.

We might have had a minuscule chance of getting him on loan with Liverpool subsidising his wages. Now that he is a free agent, we haven't a hope. 

He is a crock and weak mentally, but someone higher up the food chain than us will take a chance on him. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

We might have had a minuscule chance of getting him on loan with Liverpool subsidising his wages. Now that he is a free agent, we haven't a hope. 

He is a crock and weak mentally, but someone higher up the food chain than us will take a chance on him. 

Correct, he's a multi millionaire without drive and finished as a footballer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RoverKyle said:

That's exactly what I've been on about for a while there's just no point keeping some around when you've a chance to bring others in. I do though think the hands might be a bit tied with the contracts they handed out after promotion. He seems to be basically asking some if they'd be kind enough to leave so he can sign others but understands if they don't want to

100% certain at some point we'll be told someone they like and who'd like to come can't because of his wages yet you could save thousands per week overnight if you got a little bit ruthless and ambitious.

• Like 2