BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

11 hours ago, J*B said:

Rather get Lyle Taylor from Charlton myself. Scored bucket loads for Wimbledon, top scorer in the league for Charlton this year, 12 months left. Quick, strong, set pieces, cheap. Good competition.

I've only really seen him in the play off final, but he looked a quality above that level at least.

Carried the ball excellently, looked unbelievably athletic. The sort of player you think TM may have had in mind when we signed Samuel

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

I've only really seen him in the play off final, but he looked a quality above that level at least.

Carried the ball excellently, looked unbelievably athletic. The sort of player you think TM may have had in mind when we signed Samuel

He's a quality player at L1&L2 , no reason he couldn't push on...

We have been enquired about Glenn Whelan as well according to Rich Sharpe...another 35 year old.

"Another player whose availability has been enquired about is Republic of Ireland international Glenn Whelen, released after Aston Villa's successful promotion bid. At 35, Whelan is highly experienced, with 35 Championship appearances to his name last season, 23 as a starter. A return to Stoke City seems the most likely destination for Whelan this summer, and Rovers' enquiry was likely to eve be anything more than that, but it highlights how Mowbray is keen to add more knowhow to his current group."

Edited by Swanson

2 hours ago, Glosrover said:

Not like rovers more realistic target Alf Aville. ??

Alf Thornton more like, about the right age judging by the names we are enquiring about.

After 2 seasons of sense it looks like we might be in for another silly season of busted flushes, a Venky & friends speciality !

31 minutes ago, Swanson said:

We have been enquired about Glenn Whelan as well according to Rich Sharpe...another 35 year old.

"Another player whose availability has been enquired about is Republic of Ireland international Glenn Whelen, released after Aston Villa's successful promotion bid. At 35, Whelan is highly experienced, with 35 Championship appearances to his name last season, 23 as a starter. A return to Stoke City seems the most likely destination for Whelan this summer, and Rovers' enquiry was likely to eve be anything more than that, but it highlights how Mowbray is keen to add more knowhow to his current group."

Mmm. My mates would ridicule me relentlessly if this happened.  Whelan gets a lot of stick from Irish fans. I think a lot of it stems from when he played CM with Andrews under Trapatonni. The tactics we played then meant that centre midfielders basically spent most of their time looking up watching the football go over their heads. Getting on the ball was not encouraged. It was frustrating, but effective enough as we were good defensively and had Robbie Keane upfront. Fell out of favour under O'Neill, but was back in Big Micks starting 11.

When you look at his career you can see he played most of it in the Premier league (plenty under Hughes at Stoke) , started 23 games for a promotion winning side last season and is Mick McCarthys first choice centre midfielder, yet if you asked me what he is good at, I would struggle to say. He gets on the ball and keeps it moving and is a good organiser, that's about it. A good character though, that's for sure.

He was interviewed the other day on Irish TV. He only knew Villa had released him when he saw it on TV. He said he Madrid on the phone though :) He sounded hungry to keep playing at a high level. His words were something like "I am willing to go somewhere and fight for my place, as long as it's a fair fight" 

Good grief, it really does beggar belief. Mowbray witters on about slowly building with younger players and recruiting from the continent. I then watch video footage of an interview where he must have mentioned selling Dack about half a dozen times to follow Norwich's model, (it was essentially an advert).

Then we start making moves for 35 year olds, probably  because he knows the players personally.

How many of those did Norwich, Leeds or Villa sign?

He's done well to re-establish us as a tier two side, but does anyone seriously believe that a guy whose one and only promotion to the Premier League (followed by immediate relegation)  came more than a decade ago, is capable of taking us any further or is it just because he's a nice bloke who says the right things?

Oh lord, BigDogg, the Trappatoni years...jesus!

Anyhow, when when Rovers Ireland tweeted about this my initial reaction was positive. Didn't realise how he was pushing the hill in years though. Makes sense considering he has been around forever.

With the caveat of the summer thus far 'as long as he isn't the only bit of business or representative of incomings generally', I wouldn't be entirely against it.

Good pro, wise head, doesn't keel over and whimper in adversity. Yeah, bit of that might be alright. Hope he has a map of England in his house so he can find Brockhall for his medical in the event that things get moving.

Edited by Give 'Em the Axe
  • Like 1

Feel similar about this than I do about Downing; could be astute if the rest of this summer's business is of the right calibre. 

I'd be disappointed if he's there to be a replacement for Reed with nobody else coming in, but a bit of experience probably wouldn't go amiss if we're looking for Travis & Davenport to make big contributions. 

9 minutes ago, martonrover said:

Good grief, it really does beggar belief. Mowbray witters on about slowly building with younger players and recruiting from the continent. I then watch video footage of an interview where he must have mentioned selling Dack about half a dozen times to follow Norwich's model, (it was essentially an advert).

Then we start making moves for 35 year olds, probably  because he knows the players personally.

How many of those did Norwich, Leeds or Villa sign?

He's done well to re-establish us as a tier two side, but does anyone seriously believe that a guy whose one and only promotion to the Premier League (followed by immediate relegation)  came more than a decade ago, is capable of taking us any further or is it just because he's a nice bloke who says the right things?

Well in fairness Boro and Villa signed both Downing and Whelan when they were in their 30s. They went on to feature in plenty of games and both times mounted play off pushes and Villa ended up going up. 

You cold also argue that Leeds could have done with some experience at key times 

9 minutes ago, Give 'Em the Axe said:

Oh lord, BigDogg, the Trappatoni years...jesus!

Anyhow, when when Rovers Ireland tweeted about this my initial reaction was positive. Didn't realise how he was pushing the hill in years though. Makes sense considering he has been around forever.

With the caveat of the summer thus far 'as long as he isn't the only bit of business or representative of incomings generally', I wouldn't be entirely against it.

Good pro, wise head, doesn't keel over and whimper in adversity. Yeah, bit of that might be alright. Hope he has a map of England in his house so he can find Brockhall for his medical in the event that things get moving.

Ya, I thought he was around 32, not 35. The timeless Glen Whelan ?

Himself and Downing would be 2 great characters to add to the squad. Whelan is nothing if not robust, so I think he could still play every week. Not so sure about Downing in that regard. 

Not having a map of England could be an issue alright. Hey @Tyrone Shoelaces you surely have a few spare maps lying around at home? Or maybe you have just tattooed it directly onto your body at this stage 

• Like 1

GLEN WHELAN!! ?

On 27/05/2019 at 19:53, Angry_Pirate said:

Would be upset and underwhelmed with Keogh, he's a mistake waiting to happen for me. Don't see him as a realistic target either. 

Not many players on those two teams I wouldn't want for the right price but he's one of them, Glen Whelan would be another I'd be worried would be a TM player. Upgrade on Smallwood, but such a dull, uninspiring player.

Called it 10 days ago. Couldn't be less surprised, or more underwhelmed.

I had backed off the Mowbray out campaign a bit in the last 2 months, but (if) his transfer window is being driven by targets like Stewart Downing and Glen Whelan as priority first signings, then he needs to go.

I'd rather have kept Conway and keep Smallwood... and I hate Smallwood (as a footballer)

• Like 4

Whelan in centre mid as Reed's reeds replacement makes me worry about the type of football we are going to playing next season. He'd have fitted well instead of Smallwood or Evans in the first half of last season but I thought we were trying to push up the pitch more and I hoped we would be looking for someone a bit more mobile albeit not as dynamic as Travis.

Still would like to see us spend our budget on the defence, I think if we start next season with Mulgrew starting at CB then we can wave goodbye to any dreams of a playoff push.

7 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

GLEN WHELAN!! ?

Called it 10 days ago. Couldn't be less surprised, or more underwhelmed.

I had backed off the Mowbray out campaign a bit in the last 2 months, but (if) his transfer window is being driven by targets like Stewart Downing and Glen Whelan as priority first signings, then he needs to go.

I'd rather have kept Conway and keep Smallwood... and I hate Smallwood (as a footballer)

That's silly. Downing and Whelan are definite upgrades on Conway and Smallwood. 

Not sure what you mean by "priority first signings". Is that a thing? 

• Like 1

1) Fan mentions a household name from his childhood.

2) Other fans erupt in righteous indignation.

3) Other fans cite proof Mowbray doesn't know what he is doing.

4) Still more fans say this is proof the transfer budget is a flat cap and a pack of woodbines.

5) Fill 5 pages

6) Fan mentions a 90 year old wheel chair user

7) repeat 2) to 5)

ad nauseum

PS philipl mentions a genuine comment by Ed Woodward- all hell let loose (now an open secret that he is struggling to sign his A list and the Pogba transfer has hit the rocks)

Edited by philipl
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Whelan in centre mid as Reed's reeds replacement makes me worry about the type of football we are going to playing next season. He'd have fitted well instead of Smallwood or Evans in the first half of last season but I thought we were trying to push up the pitch more and I hoped we would be looking for someone a bit more mobile albeit not as dynamic as Travis.

Still would like to see us spend our budget on the defence, I think if we start next season with Mulgrew starting at CB then we can wave goodbye to any dreams of a playoff push.

Firstys Reed barely played centre midfield, so unless Whelan would be right wing, he isn't replacing Reed. 

What would concern you with regards our style if we sign Whelan? He isn't the most exciting player, but he keeps possession well. 

Agree about defence. I said earlier in the thread we should spend most if not all our budget on a keeper and centre half. 

We have some decent youngsters in the midfield area so i'm not too worried on that side. We need Defenders for crying out loud.  I would be happy with 2-3 new defenders and zero signing elsewhere. 

Still time i know, but just hope Mowbray sorts that backline out before anything else.

• Like 1