BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, up to last season in a promotion winning team 

The team only played well when he went off the pitch in the semi final 1st leg and he was dropped for the 2nd leg and final.....he's a busted flush and I was even saying that when watching him...another Danny Murphy 

Edited by Sparks Rover

I would be more than happy with Whelan. He has just played the majority of games for a team that has just got out of this league. Yes he is 35 but he still has a great engine, and obviously stays fit. Him and Travis in the middle of the park would be an improvement on any other pairing we currently have. 

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

The team only played well when he went off the pitch in the semi final 1st leg and he was dropped for the 2nd leg and final.....he's a busted flush and I was even saying that when watching him...another Danny Murphy 

If he was that busted a flush Smith wouldn't have started him in the first leg. The man who sees him training day in, day out. 

He is till starting in international football and he played well against Georgia last month. He will probably start against Denmark tomorrow evening. 

People should be banned from comparing any potential midfield signing over 30 to Danny Murphy. It is really boring at this stage. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

If he was that busted a flush Smith wouldn't have started him in the first leg

It's like a switch was flicked when he came off and Villa moved up a few gears. Mate, seriously he isn't what we need. We've already got slow coaches in the middle, we need some youth,  vibrancy , dynamism....

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

It's like a switch was flicked when he came off and Villa moved up a few gears. Mate, seriously he isn't what we need. We've already got slow coaches in the middle, we need some youth,  vibrancy , dynamism....

So you are basing your opinion of him on one half of football?

What "slow coaches" have we in the middle? Travis is young, vibrant and dynamic. Davenport will hopefully stay injury free this season. Evans is ,well , Evans, we will get the odd good performance out of him. Rodwell as well hopefully. Hopefully Buckley gets more game time too. A bit of experience in there wouldn't go a miss. Whelan is an impeccable professional and would only be a good role model for the younger players. Him and Downing on frees would be a good injection of experience at a low cost. Keep our budget then for a centre half. 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

What would concern you with regards our style if we sign Whelan? He isn't the most exciting player, but he keeps possession well. 

Suppose he would keep us ticking over nicely but isn't the most mobile anymore. My concern is that we play with the two centre mids sat deep in midfield and the team as a whole sit deep.

• Like 3

I'm more concerned by the implication in the LT article that we won't be using the European market this summer after all, or that it will be fairly minimal anyway.

I'll be surprised if we sign more than one 34/35 year old. I expect TM just thinks the squad needs to replace the level of experience lost in Conway. It may also be with half an eye on Rodwell going (in terms of bringing in someone with top level experience). I wouldn't worry that multiple links to old players means we will sign multiple old players.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1

Just now, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Suppose he would keep us ticking over nicely but isn't the most mobile anymore. My concern is that we play with the two centre mids sat deep in midfield and the team as a whole sit deep.

I think we will play 3 at the back next season with a Whelan type player sat in front of them. Ideal then for Benno to keep his place as a wing back with Bell on the other side. And before anyone says about the fact we need new centre halves, yes I know and we will sign them. 

Just now, BlackburnEnd75 said:

He was never the most mobile. He sits in front of the back 4 and recycles the ball well. He is surprising good in the air actually, which is something we could do with. 

I do get you though, the thoughts of him and Evans together is a bit worrying very worrying.  He could be a good partner for Travis, Davenport, Rodwell or Buckley in there.

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, I thought he was around 32, not 35. The timeless Glen Whelan ?

Himself and Downing would be 2 great characters to add to the squad. Whelan is nothing if not robust, so I think he could still play every week. Not so sure about Downing in that regard. 

Not having a map of England could be an issue alright. Hey @Tyrone Shoelaces you surely have a few spare maps lying around at home? Or maybe you have just tattooed it directly onto your body at this stage 

No,  we're got a satnav now, it saved me and Mrs Shoelaces from getting divorced !

• Like 2

There are some positives to take if TM is looking at players like this. At least it identifies that he is looking for a few more leaders in the team. This is something that we lack. I personally wouldn't be aiming for my leaders to be 35+ exactly but we do need some.  

Downing if he was being signed to play central I could just about live with as he would add some experience and I don't know if he still does but he did at least use to have some quality, Whelan never has had any quality and would strike me as a real desperation signing. 

Just now, JacknOry said:

There are some positives to take if TM is looking at players like this. At least it identifies that he is looking for a few more leaders in the team. This is something that we lack. I personally wouldn't be aiming for my leaders to be 35+ exactly but we do need some.  

I'm not sure Downing is a leader, Whelan could be. You don't have to be 30 plus to be a leader, 

I see there's a fuss being made about this 'investment' into recruitment being made. Whilst a positive development I do wonder how significant it is in the scheme of things. A bit like the 'investment' in pitches that Waggott claimed was happening this summer which if spread out across our sites actually doesn't represent very much and is probably the bare minimum upkeep needed to ensure that the facilities are adequate for next season. It's good that they're spending more and taking scouting more seriously but it appears to me that we're now playing catch up after years of neglect whilst rivals have steamed ahead. Thanks to the cost cutting slash and burn approach going hand in hand with complete and utter  neglect from the owners and the board down it is baby steps stuff and probably still nowhere near what most rivals are doing every year yet Waggott expects everyone to be impressed as though we are doing something special.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

They would be if they were both 5 years younger.

Smallwood was way out of his depth last season, Whelan was playing for a promotion winning team. He has played practically all his career in the premier league. 

I like Conway, but comparing his cv to Downing shows the gulf in quality  again, he played a lot last season for a team in and around the play offs 

Both have played most of their careers at the top level, even at their age they are improvements on Smallwood and Conway. Anyone with half an eye for football can see that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If he was that busted a flush Smith wouldn't have started him in the first leg. The man who sees him training day in, day out. 

Take this next sentence with a pinch.

Whelan did start in the first leg, was woeful, was 100% at fault for the WBA goal, was hauled off after 65 minutes... oh and he never played for Villa again.

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Not sure what you mean by "priority first signings". Is that a thing? 

The first names being confirmed linked with, seem to be the closest to signing first, first is occassionally the priority.

If we want 1LW and 1CM on our transfer budget, spunking it on 35 year old pair Downing and Whelan and their potential wages before mid June is just abysmal in my eyes. Especially when you look at the free agents out there born after 1990.

Can see the headline now...

"Rovers announce the signings of Stewart Downing and Glen Whelan on 14* month contracts.

The remaining 10 months of the pairs 2 year deals will be paid off on September 1st 2020."

Might get myself down to Eid in the Park on Sunday and try and talk Tony some sense ?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Dr X said:

I logged in, seeing there were a few new pages and thought who are we being linked too, and? 

?

No-one ☹️

So you didn't read those few new pages then, you just decided to assume we weren't being linked to anyone.

We are being linked with Glenn Whelan. Granted it might as well be no-one, but it's happened.

• Like 1

Just now, bluebruce said:

So you didn't read those few new pages then, you just decided to assume we weren't being linked to anyone.

We are being linked with Glenn Whelan. Granted it might as well be no-one, but it's happened.

I read the most recent two pages and made an assumption, yes but you are right it might as well be no-one. 

Not very excited by either downing or whelan, hopefully they turn up elsewhere ?

Jagielka was also linked, seems an old head is on the cards. Just perhaps not in defence where most feel it is needed. I would like an experienced man alongside the less experienced Raya and lenihan. I think they would really benefit from the guidance and direction they could bring. What was Ashley Williams like at Stoke this season? 

Edited by Dr X
  • Like 1