BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

38 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Smallwood was way out of his depth last season, Whelan was playing for a promotion winning team. He has played practically all his career in the premier league. 

I like Conway, but comparing his cv to Downing shows the gulf in quality  again, he played a lot last season for a team in and around the play offs 

Both have played most of their careers at the top level, even at their age they are improvements on Smallwood and Conway. Anyone with half an eye for football can see that. 

Nothing lasts forever matey, especially in football, Whittingham proved that. I wouldn't say that being an improvement on Conway and Smallwood is much of a recommendation at this moment in time. I would have been pretty pleased even a year ago but not now.

• Like 1

Charlie Adam training in Dubai with Adam Armstrong and Paul Downing. Probably means nothing but could always mean something

(especially considering Downing isn’t ours anymore)

38 minutes ago, JoeHarvey said:

Charlie Adam training in Dubai with Adam Armstrong and Paul Downing. Probably means nothing but could always mean something

(especially considering Downing isn’t ours anymore)

I'd prefer Charlie Adam over Downing or Whelen.

On 05/06/2019 at 19:52, bluebruce said:

That URL...?????? Talk about SEO engineering 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

I'd prefer Charlie Adam over Downing or Whelen.

Would you? He has only played around 60 games in the last 4 seasons. If he was fit and hungry I would take him over Whelan, but you would have to admit Whelan appears to be the fitter and hungrier players at this point, even if he is a bit older. 

14 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Nothing lasts forever matey, especially in football, Whittingham proved that. I wouldn't say that being an improvement on Conway and Smallwood is much of a recommendation at this moment in time. I would have been pretty pleased even a year ago but not now.

Nothing lasts forever no and of course there is that risk with older players, but plenty of 33 and 35 year olds still do well at this level and higher. The two lads did pretty well last season, so going off that would eleviate my concerns somewhat. 

Just now, neophox said:

Free transfers available for the defence.

Chris Samba centre back 35

Gregory Van Der Wiel Right back 31

God no. It would be horrible to see him here now in his current state. He was a colossus. Lets remember him like that. 

Van der Wiel not a bad shout at all. I wonder was he on much at Toronto 

Just now, neophox said:

Free transfers available for the defence.

Chris Samba centre back 35

Gregory Van Der Wiel Right back 31

Forget Samba he's another busted flush and ruined his legacy here by being a greedy barsteward who's move from Rovers summed him up and what was going on here at the time..money money money.

Could've had a top move and been a top player that lad.

Just now, tomphil said:

Forget Samba he's another busted flush and ruined his legacy here by being a greedy barsteward who's move from Rovers summed him up and what was going on here at the time..money money money.

I don't blame him for leaving. Kean was manager.  He picked a move for money alright though and it ended any hopes for a really impressive career. As you say, he could have been a top, top player. One of my favourites. 

How many players have had the same experience after moving to Russia for money? 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Just now, tomphil said:

I agree completely. He got several new contracts around transfer window time when he sulked about not getting a move. As good as he was for us he sullied his reputation through sheer greed and blackmail.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Van der Wiel not a bad shout at all. I wonder was he on much at Toronto 

VdW was pretty mediocre when he played (not terrible... but struggled to fit into the coach's system), and then was cut loose to start the year after a bust up with the coaching staff. Definite attitude issues... Seems more interested in his business ventures than football nowadays.

Was making the equivalent of £12,350/wk last year (MLS actually publishes all salary info!).

Edited by RoverCanada
  • Like 2

Just now, RoverCanada said:

VdW was pretty mediocre when he played (not terrible... but struggled to fit into the coach's system), and then was cut loose to start the year after a bust up with the coaching staff. Definite attitude issues... Seems more interested in his business ventures than football nowadays.

Was making the equivalent of £12,350/wk last year (MLS actually publishes all salary info!).

Ya, I thought there must be some reason why a lad with almost 50 caps for the Netherlands is playing for Toronto at age 31 

Would he have been a top earner on that much? 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't blame him for leaving. Kean was manager.  He picked a move for money alright though and it ended any hopes for a really impressive career. As you say, he could have been a top, top player. One of my favourites. 

How many players have had the same experience after moving to Russia for money? 

Sadly I don't even think that one can be pinned on that scumbag they probably had their eyes on nice commission from the 65k pwk they were allegedly offering. Plus there probably was a 20 mill pound player there if the right club had come in.

Something very odd about that transfer but once the wages were put in front of Samba he was off.  What a waste, he probably gambled it all away anyway.

Just now, tomphil said:

Sadly I don't even think that one can be pinned on that scumbag they probably had their eyes on nice commission from the 65k pwk they were allegedly offering. Plus there probably was a 20 mill pound player there if the right club had come in.

Something very odd about that transfer but once the wages were put in front of Samba he was off.  What a waste, he probably gambled it all away anyway.

Ya, it was crazy. Didn't it happen a week after the European deadline closed? 

He probably would have left looking for more money regardless alright. Terrible, terrible choice on his behalf. I bet he had English and European clubs interested at the time. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1