BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, I thought there must be some reason why a lad with almost 50 caps for the Netherlands is playing for Toronto at age 31 

Would he have been a top earner on that much? 

He wasn't a 'designated player', who can earn up to $6 million+/~£90,000/wk (e.g. Michael Bradley on TFC. Rooney's on $2.8 million, or about £41,000/wk, at DC), but I think his $800k salary he would have required using 'target allocation money', so he was one of the higher earners for sure (about 6th on the team going by the 2018 numbers).

MLS teams tend to have a few players making $2 million+, several in the $200-500k range, and then a bunch of younger/depth players stuck at $60/70k.

(MLS finances may be more transparent in some respects, but all the salary allowances/restrictions/exceptions are a bit of a labyrinth!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoverCanada said:

VdW was pretty mediocre when he played (not terrible... but struggled to fit into the coach's system), and then was cut loose to start the year after a bust up with the coaching staff. Definite attitude issues... Seems more interested in his business ventures than football nowadays.

Was making the equivalent of £12,350/wk last year (MLS actually publishes all salary info!).

Been blighted by injuries for most of his career since leaving Ajax too. Last season in the MLS was his most active for quite a few years. Injury and stiff competition at PSG meant he was mostly used as a sub for four years and then injuries pretty much ruined his time at Cagliari and Fenerbache.

My god that list is terrifying mostly and when we look at the losses in recent years you can just see why they keep adding up, ridiculous.

Just reinforces the point of Why gamble on those odds when the wages can be used on something more likely to get useful. It's not building a promotion team it's just plugging gaps again to tread water.

4 minutes ago, tomphil said:

My god that list is terrifying mostly and when we look at the losses in recent years you can just see why they keep adding up, ridiculous.

Just reinforces the point of Why gamble on those odds when the wages can be used on something more likely to get useful. It's not building a promotion team it's just plugging gaps again to tread water.

Thing is, which odds are you referring to? The names on there include young European players as well as experienced players from the league above.

38 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

No point getting into who we sign first, apparently they're almost certain to fail:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17691644.who-rovers-have-signed-first-in-each-of-the-last-10-years/

Well done to Rich Sharpe for having the balls to put his name to that and get it in the Paper, mind you it does, correctly, give extended credit to TM for Rothwell.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Thing is, which odds are you referring to? The names on there include young European players as well as experienced players from the league above.

All of them, especially when you've been told you are looking for experienced championship ready players although that quote can be misleading without chucking in under 30 !

48 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

We've signed a lot of absolute wasters under Venkys, not just the first one through the door.

Whittingham never been seen since but it fails to mention he was paid up to go so he's probably been enjoying a nice holiday.

At times it's like someone at Ewood looks around for players with pay off potential not play off potential - just how many have there been ?

That list of names is flat embarrassing.

Good job Sharpe didn't keep going as it was probably Carlos Villanueva in 2008, Maceo Rigters in 2007, Jason Brown in 2006, Shefki Kuqi in 2005, Javi De Pedro in 2004, David Yelldell in 2003, Sebastian Pelzer in 2002 and Ciccio Grabbi in 2001?

The sad list of our first summer signings probably (likely) goes on...

• Like 1

Just now, Angry_Pirate said:

That list of names is flat embarrassing.

Good job Sharpe didn't keep going as it was probably Carlos Villanueva in 2008, Maceo Rigters in 2007, Jason Brown in 2006, Shefki Kuqi in 2005, Javi De Pedro in 2004, David Yelldell in 2003, Sebastian Pelzer in 2002 and Ciccio Grabbi in 2001?

The sad list of our first summer signings probably (likely) goes on...

Hey, harsh on Kuqi!

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead
1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

For sure. Their fans ain't happy he was released. 

Where have you seen this? 

I’ve just looked at their forums and there didn’t seem to be any regret from their fans on there....

46 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Where have you seen this? 

I’ve just looked at their forums and there didn’t seem to be any regret from their fans on there....

Twitter. 

Perhaps I need to extend my research on Cardiff. The message board would definetly be more reliable. 

10 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Nothing lasts forever no and of course there is that risk with older players, but plenty of 33 and 35 year olds still do well at this level and higher. The two lads did pretty well last season, so going off that would eleviate my concerns somewhat. 

I just look at the drop off in form from Charlie Boy last season and I think do we need to take a chance on two more ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

Just now, SoldierMo said:

Tommie hoban released so is steven davis from saints...some good youngsters been released by utd lpool etc that we should pick up on

Steven Davis has signed for Rangers and Hoban is neither ever fit nor particularly good anyway.

• Like 1