BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

4 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Apology accepted. 

Rigters didnt cost us £3million. I remember when we signed him i was in turkey, and when i got back the LT specifically stated the transfer was worth up to £500,000, with add ons, that were never met. So the £3mil could have been the add ons that never happened. Such as being a professional footballer scroing goals, which he didnt achieve.

Edited by AAK

Lots getting upset about the comment I made regarding fans not putting their hands in their pockets. I completely stand by it.

There was a time during the Kean era that I couldn’t go anymore. The team had stopped caring. I could forgive them  not being good enough but not caring was intolerable for me to see as a fan. I was worn out and I couldn’t relate to the club.

The first shoots of positivity came when Mowbray arrived. An honesty. The team were working hard. They cared again. This is all any fan should need imo. Furthermore, Venkys seemed to change and the sales stopped. They began to invest. 

I’m not saying that any of this rights the wrongs of what went on. I felt that pain too but Jesus, get over it. We’ve got an honest, decent guy managing us, a group of players who may come up short on ability but work harder than any Rovers team since 94/95 and owners who continue to fund us. (To the tune of £17m last season alone).

Maybe some still haven’t made their peace and I kind of understand that. But since when did who the club sign become the pre-requisite to whether you go to the game? 

• Like 2

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Lots getting upset about the comment I made regarding fans not putting their hands in their pockets. I completely stand by it.

There was a time during the Kean era that I couldn’t go anymore. The team had stopped caring. I could forgive them  not being good enough but not caring was intolerable for me to see as a fan. I was worn out and I couldn’t relate to the club.

The first shoots of positivity came when Mowbray arrived. An honesty. The team were working hard. They cared again. This is all any fan should need imo. Furthermore, Venkys seemed to change and the sales stopped. They began to invest. 

I’m not saying that any of this rights the wrongs of what went on. I felt that pain too but Jesus, get over it. We’ve got an honest, decent guy managing us, a group of players who may come up short on ability but work harder than any Rovers team since 94/95 and owners who continue to fund us. (To the tune of £17m last season alone).

Maybe some still haven’t made their peace and I kind of understand that. But since when did who the club sign become the pre-requisite to whether you go to the game? 

What are you on about or just on? What about the Hughes and Allardyce years???????

Please do not rewrite history just to suit your narrative.

• Like 4

I’m not re-writing anything. I’m not saying either that this team is anywhere close (in quality) to Hughes, Souness or Allardyces teams. I’m saying that imo this is the hardest working Rovers team since we won the league! This team comes up short in quality but never in work ethic...there’s no agenda (or narrative) here. I’m a fan like anyone else. I have no relationship with Mowbray or anyone still at the club. 

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

I’m not re-writing anything. I’m not saying either that this team is anywhere close (in quality) to Hughes, Souness or Allardyces teams. I’m saying that imo this is the hardest working Rovers team since we won the league! This team comes up short in quality but never in work ethic...there’s no agenda (or narrative) here. I’m a fan like anyone else. I have no relationship with Mowbray or anyone still at the club. 

You are clearly saying that Mowbray's teams work harder than any others since 1995 which is complete nonsense, imho.

• Like 9

The Hughes team lacked quality in the context of the top 6 of the Premier League, but that’s where they ended up. Through sheer guts and hard work.

Dont talk tripe Paul.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

The Hughes team lacked quality in the context of the top 6 of the Premier League, but that’s where they ended up. Through sheer guts and hard work.

Dont talk tripe Paul.

Hughes team had plenty of quality and financial investment. Was probably the closest in terms of working hard to Mowbrays. 

Every post on here is an opinion, but I believe yours is tripe, as I said.

I know who Id want to be in the trenches with and it would be that Hughes side any day of the week.

Top pros with an edge. Mogga’s lot don’t come close. 

Yes Hughes’ team had better players, but we were in the PL - were they a Collection of players that were 6th best in England on paper? No chance, it was the graft that got them there. Is this team achieving more than it should through hard work? I wouldn’t say so, it is a bottom half quality team in the bottom half.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I know who Id want to be in the trenches with and it would be that Hughes side any day of the week.

Yes Hughes’ team had better players, but we were in the PL - were they a Collection of players that were 6th best in England on paper? No chance, it was the graft that got them there. Is this team achieving more than it should through hard work? I wouldn’t say so, it is a bottom half quality team in the bottom half.

I think you need to look again at the squad we had that year - I see a quality spine from Friedel to Nelsen to Tugay to Bellamy.

• Like 2

Was Nelsen a top 6 player on ability alone?

We had Bellamy one season and he missed a third of that.  We had the likes of Savage and Andy Todd in there. Our other strikers were Dickov and Kuqi.

Of course we had good players, the crap we’ve had this past decade makes us lament such players even more.

But that team was far more than the sum of its parts. Is this team?

Edited by Mattyblue

4 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Hughes team was very good and as I said without doubt the closest to Mowbrays in terms of work rate. But don’t underestimate the work Souness had done using financial power from 2001. Cole, Yorke, Ferguson, Emerton, Reid etc were signed for fees on big wages and his (Souness) team had finished in the top 10 for two out of three seasons before Hughes came in. They’d also won the league cup. Hughes came in and signed....Savage, Bentley, Bellamy, Santa Cruz, Ooijer, Benni McCarthy, Stephen Warnock, Dunny and Jason Roberts etc didn’t come cheap. Wages for some of those would’ve been astronomical. Most had seven figure fees attached too. Hughes and Souness certainly benefited and their league finishes reflected that. Yeah, Hughes finished 6th in 2006 as had Souness 3yrs before him. He also finished 10th and 15th during his time, as did Souness. The point I’m making is that there was nothing remarkable about those outcomes when you consider the investment. It wasn’t just ‘graft’. 

Mowbrays picked us up in a FAR worse position than Hughes. We came up and finished highest of the promoted teams and but for a blip after Christmas would’ve been flirting with the top 6 come May. The accounts say we spent £7m on fees or whatever but putting that into context in terms of what some of the teams spent on fees and wages it’s not much. 

They get through most games by working harder than the opposition. Hoping from a bit of quality from £750k Dack, 33yr Old DG or latterly a player we signed from Oxford named Rothwell! ‘Fans’ bleat on and on about Brereton who is yet to make an impact but I’m pretty sure that’s going to bite a few on the ass this season! 

So yeah, that just about covers it pal. Case closed. ???

• Like 1

Personally think Hughes had inherited a team on the way down in October 2004. Souness has totally lost it by the stage. The quality of the 2001 - 2003 period had quickly disintegrated.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

I think you need to look again at the squad we had that year - I see a quality spine from Friedel to Nelsen to Tugay to Bellamy.

Omg...absolutely!! Completely forgot about Tugay, Flitcroft, Pederson, Nelson, Samba etc who were also there! ?

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Personally think Hughes had inherited a team on the way down in October 2004. Souness has totally lost it by the stage. The quality of the 2001 - 2003 period had quickly disintegrated.

Souness wanted out for 12 months before he went. He was courting the Spurs job before Newcastle. But don’t doubt the quality of players that he left Hughes. 

Granted he made the best of them and added considerably but the foundations were there.

First game of the season shortly before he left. Even the players that stand out were past it - Amorouso, Yorke (Soon to leave), Short. 

Ferguson was dreadful and shortly left.

The quality of Duff, Dunn, Jansen, Cole, Berg long gone.

Hughes had us top 6 in the Premier League the season after.

BD43A06E-98AE-490B-A6E0-C629277242F6.png

Edited by Mattyblue

Indeed he did. I vividly remember one of the first things Hughes did was bringing the players in for double sessions because he recognised they were ridiculously unfit and under prepared. I had it at the time from one of the club staff that Souness completely lost interest. Hughes picked up the club by its bootlaces and turned us into a real force.

In Mowbrays first few months we were relegated. Comparisons in my opinion are futile and baseless.

• Like 2

First game of the season shortly before he left. Even the players that stand out were past it - Amorouso, Yorke, Short. 

Ferguson was dreadful and shortly left.

Hughes had us top 6 in the Premier League the season after.

BD43A06E-98AE-490B-A6E0-C629277242F6.png

Yeah, Souness had been looking to leave for 12 months. He was disinterested. Hughes was in a relegation fight for most of his first season and managed to steer us clear of trouble. But then he got a shit load more of investment as per my previous post and added to the nucleus of good players he had was able to finish 6th the next season. That team did work hard. But they also had some absolutely CLASS players. Bellamy? Tugay?...

Bellamy played 20 odd matches.

You seem to be comparing the teams. Of course that team had far better players than this lot.

I am comparing getting a team containing Kuqi, Todd, Savage, Mokoena, Dickov et al to top 6 in the PL to a team with average Championship players finishing in an average position in the Championship.

• Like 2