BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, arbitro said:

Indeed he did. I vividly remember one of the first things Hughes did was bringing the players in for double sessions because he recognised they were ridiculously unfit and under prepared. I had it at the time from one of the club staff that Souness completely lost interest. Hughes picked up the club by its bootlaces and turned us into a real force.

In Mowbrays first few months we were relegated. Comparisons in my opinion are futile and baseless.

Souness was disinterested. In May 2004 he was inconsolable following a defeat to Spurs which effectively cost him the offering of that job.

Hughes picked up a FAR better team than Mowbray in October 2004, had a transfer window and finally finished 15th after being in around the relegation zone pretty much all season.

Mowbray picked up an absolute basket case club with a team 23rd in the league and 3points adrift of safety on 22nd Feb. He averaged points of a mid to top 10 team without a chance to even change the team and went down on the final day of the season on the highest ever points to be relegated out of the Championship.

I didn’t begin the comparison. But by humouring this terrible point I’ve pretty much proven that you can’t compare them because basically Hughes was was in a 10000% better position to succeed. 

Edited by Paul Mani

You are now talking about Mowbray as a manager. He came second with the biggest budget by the way and then finished 15th after spending over £10million quid. But that being said I think he’s done well - but he’s no Mark Hughes - one of our all time great managers.

Thought your ill thought out point was this was unequivocally the ‘hardest working team we’ve had for 25 years’? We’ve ‘pretty much proven’ you are talking tripe.

Edited by Mattyblue

Just now, Mattyblue said:

You are now talking about Mowbray as a manager. He came second with the biggest budget by the way and then finished 15th after spending over £10million quid.

Thought your ill thought out point was this was unequivocally the hardest working team we’ve had for 25 years? We’ve ‘pretty much proven’ you are talking tripe.

Hahaha  firstly £10m is pretty low by today’s standards. The accounts say 7.6m? But whatever. 

Secondly, you’ve massively embarrassed yourself with the Hughes comparison as has been proven. You’d have been better comparing Allardyce’s team who had a similarly modest budget and achieved decent results through hard work and organisation.

And finally...IN MY OPINION, Mowbrays team work harder than any team since 94/95. I’ve been a season ticket holder for all but 5 seasons when there was no need for me to buy tickets. I chose not to go during Keans last season. 

4 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Hahaha  firstly £10m is pretty low by today’s standards. The accounts say 7.6m? But whatever. 

Secondly, you’ve massively embarrassed yourself with the Hughes comparison as has been proven. You’d have been better comparing Allardyce’s team who had a similarly modest budget and achieved decent results through hard work and organisation.

And finally...IN MY OPINION, Mowbrays team work harder than any team since 94/95. I’ve been a season ticket holder for all but 5 seasons when there was no need for me to buy tickets. I chose not to go during Keans last season. 

Can’t say I agree with your opinion, think mowbray is massively overrated by some of our support, I think he has done an ok job to this point but I don’t think he can take us much further. I was disgusted by the work ethic during some spells last season. In my opinion the squad is generally unfit, hence the amount of late goals conceded. If they were that bothered about changing that stat, extra training would’ve got them fitter. They didn’t, and they were on the beach by February 

• Like 5

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Mowbray’s team work harder than any since 94-95?! Whaaaat? Hughes and Allardyce say hello! The amount of times we downed tools last year was galling.

When I see Adam Armstrong slowly walking back after losing the ball for the 15th time in the game I always think 'that's a Hughsey player right there'. :rolleyes:

• Like 7

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

J*B will be along soon to sort out the obvious trolling. He's very fair and treats everyone the same. I'm sure he'll be calling Mani out soon enough...

Looks to me more like Mani has made a point which everyone disagrees with (FWIW I think Souness, Allardyce and Hughes all had teams that worked much harder than Mowbrays) and is sticking to it regardless. 

If it becomes trolling we will of course take action. As it stands it's just an opinion nobody agrees with.

• Like 1

I think people taking a wait and see approach to renewing is far more complicated than just “seeing who we sign”.

At the consultation meeting, both Mowbray and Waggott categorically stated that Mowbray was in control of all signings. He is given a budget and allowed to sign players within its confines with no interference from Venky’s. I had long suspected the opposite. They were both also quick to shoot down any suggestion that Venky’s had an aversion to spending money on defenders, and acknowledged this was an area of the team that needed urgent improvement and investment.

If we go into the first game of next season with either Mulgrew or Williams (or Bauer) starting alongside Lenihan, not only will we struggle, it will also make a mockery out of everything they said. Even if we spend relatively big money on a striker, or a “project player”, and stuck a few ageing midfielders in there as well, it would just be more of the same, and not only would it further cement my suspicions of Venky’s interference and raise questions around their motivations when it comes to signings, it would also damage Waggott and Mowbray’s credibility massively in my eyes. I’d see them as, at best, puppets incapable of exerting enough influence and common sense on the owners, or at worst, liars.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

J*B will be along soon to sort out the obvious trolling. He's very fair and treats everyone the same. I'm sure he'll be calling Mani out soon enough...

I’d better say goodbye to my researched and considered response as it’ll likely become “collateral damage”.

It’s a dangerous game when posts are wiped out as it puts people of writing them.

If nothing else, despite being a controversial opinion, it has generated some debate during the annual lull that is the transfer window. I guess Mowbray has been waiting for the Champions League to finish, and then the Nations Cup and probably the Women’s World Cup.

Wonder if we’ll get a signing before the claim your seat deadline? I don’t see Downing, let alone Whelan, getting folk queuing up!

• Like 3

Whoosh. 

I know faux-outrage is the one thing you do well, but it's always best to know the context before you jump in with both feet. 

Whatever. If this post is code for you rowing back your call for censorship then it's all good. Well done.

27 minutes ago, J*B said:

Looks to me more like Mani has made a point which everyone disagrees with (FWIW I think Souness, Allardyce and Hughes all had teams that worked much harder than Mowbrays) and is sticking to it regardless. 

If it becomes trolling we will of course take action. As it stands it's just an opinion nobody agrees with.

Thank you. This is exactly the case.

51 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Utter nonsense. Underlined by your last sentence.

You really think Mowbray has his team working harder than Hughes did his? You are either painted into a corner with your original comment or you are too young to remember Sparky’s side.

Most players in the current side wouldn’t get on Hughes’ bench from a work rate perspective.

Four teams conceded fewer goals than Rovers last season. Three of them were relegated. We also had one of our worst ever winless runs. Highest work rate since 94/95 would get you a few nil-nils to steady the ship. (The fact that you picked that season for comparison speaks volumes).

On a budget (by PL standards) Hughes kept us up in his first season (while Mowbray couldn’t). He then went on to finish 6th, 10th and 7th earning the tag “bully boys”. Wonder what Mowbray’s team nickname would be? “Honest Eddies”? Our hardworking ethos has come is largely because Mowbray keeps talking about honest pros with the right attitude yet we don’t see it on the pitch consistently. It’s grassroots talk. At Championship level his teams have regularly been outworked by poorer teams. That could never have been said about Hughes teams. Or Souness or Allardyce teams for that matter.

It’s a complete no contest.

My nickname for them - " The Soft Touches ".

22 minutes ago, J*B said:

Excellent. As long as you're consistent then it's all good in the hood and great on the estate. It's not great when it starts to look personal. 

Pleasure. Try to get quicker at understanding posts, and slower at being outraged.

All the best.

The irony in the tone of this post is sensational - Literally the epitome of trolling?