BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

• Backroom

The question you need to ask is whether any of the players we had under Hughes would’ve started every game in a top 6 side?

I’d say Friedel, Bellamy. Nelsen at a push. Therefore, that team was far more than the sum of its parts and worked bloody hard.

Just now, Mike E said:

The question you need to ask is whether any of the players we had under Hughes would’ve started every game in a top 6 side?

I’d say Friedel, Bellamy. Nelsen at a push. Therefore, that team was far more than the sum of its parts and worked bloody hard.

Most of them did that first full season! ;) 

• Like 3

If you are going to compare and rate managers, you should use the wage budget as  metric. It's the strongest correlation to results you will find. In our premier years under Allardyce and Hughes we were about 10-14 th place in wage budget. Top 10 meant we were doing better than expected, bottom 5 meant worse. We didn't spend a lot on transfers, but had a competitve wage budget. John Williams only weakness was probably handing out too generous contracts. Salgado springs to mind, great guy but you don't give 60k a week to someone who's legs are gone.

Mowbray delivered last year with us and Wigan having the greatest wage budgets. Similar this season with a midsize budget, led to a midtable position. Neither better or worse than expected. Sheff Utd showed that is possible to punch above your weight, but it's a rare exception. 

People usually make too much of what a club spends on transfer fees, it's the wage budget that will determine success. It will make you keep hold of players, secure the best loans and frees. It doesn't matter if we can pay the tranfer fees if we can't get them within our wage budget. I think we learned that last year with players like McGinn and several other enquired about.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Maybe some still haven’t made their peace and I kind of understand that. But since when did who the club sign become the pre-requisite to whether you go to the game? 

As far as I'm concerned it's not. And I survived longer than you. Apart from a brief spell I had a ST till Coyle rocked up. That sort of coincided with retirement and a freedom to go away on hols if I felt like it. A ST did not make economic sense but of course once you haven't got one you find there are a lot of other things to do at 3pm on Saturdays and you explore those. This year a different economic situation presents itself as I'm now a senior so the ST is cheaper. It may make better sense to get one. Hence I'm waiting for the fixtures, not the signings

• Like 1

This squad works hard mostly and that helps cover some limitations at times but doesn't over a season but no question they play for the manager and the shirt with the odd exception.

To say they are the hardest working side since the Prem winners is pure PR man spin and regardless of budget there's very little comparison between Mowbray and Allardyce and Hughes  or Souness whose side tended to work hard and be very robust like their gaffer until he lost interest followed by the plot.

TM could however prove to be a lower level version of them if he got us a few top 8 finishes in coming seasons on the budget he has.

Edited by tomphil

9 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Lots getting upset about the comment I made regarding fans not putting their hands in their pockets. I completely stand by it.

There was a time during the Kean era that I couldn’t go anymore. The team had stopped caring. I could forgive them  not being good enough but not caring was intolerable for me to see as a fan. I was worn out and I couldn’t relate to the club.

The first shoots of positivity came when Mowbray arrived. An honesty. The team were working hard. They cared again. This is all any fan should need imo. Furthermore, Venkys seemed to change and the sales stopped. They began to invest. 

I’m not saying that any of this rights the wrongs of what went on. I felt that pain too but Jesus, get over it. We’ve got an honest, decent guy managing us, a group of players who may come up short on ability but work harder than any Rovers team since 94/95 and owners who continue to fund us. (To the tune of £17m last season alone).

Maybe some still haven’t made their peace and I kind of understand that. But since when did who the club sign become the pre-requisite to whether you go to the game? 

Putting aside the ridiculous nature of the suggestion that no team in the last 24 years has matched Mowbrays for effort, something thats irrelevant to the original point you made. I've no idea where you've got this agenda from, whereby people who are not attending ("putting their hands in their pockets") are complaining about a lack of signings. Do you have any quotes that can back this up, if so then fair enough. If not its just blatant fishing for a reaction that you have clearly got. And to be honest, just because someone doesnt attend doesnt mean he/she doesnt have a vested interest and passion or that they dont want it to do all it can to succeed.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, briansol said:

People usually make too much of what a club spends on transfer fees, it's the wage budget that will determine success. It will make you keep hold of players, secure the best loans and frees. It doesn't matter if we can pay the tranfer fees if we can't get them within our wage budget. I think we learned that last year with players like McGinn and several other enquired about.

Wage budget will determine success? We paid dollar to the likes of Murphy and that tosser we got from Newcastle, Best! Did that bring success?

Ask Man. Utd who must be paying Sanchez peanuts then!

Its the choosing of the correct players and coaching the best out of them that get success. There are plenty other examples of mercenaries for wages.

You mention McGinn at Villa but when Bruce was manager they were below us.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Putting aside the ridiculous nature of the suggestion that no team in the last 24 years has matched Mowbrays for effort, something thats irrelevant to the original point you made. I've no idea where you've got this agenda from, whereby people who are not attending ("putting their hands in their pockets") are complaining about a lack of signings. Do you have any quotes that can back this up, if so then fair enough. If not its just blatant fishing for a reaction that you have clearly got. And to be honest, just because someone doesnt attend doesnt mean he/she doesnt have a vested interest and passion or that they dont want it to do all it can to succeed.

The fact you’re so personally affronted by my opinion says more about you than it does me. I haven’t called any one person out. If you can justify not going to the match then that’s fine by me. ??

Moreover, I don’t need to justify myself to any of you. I don’t constantly ask for justification on all the ridiculously emotional rants on here. This is about opinions. 

• Like 2

Just now, tomphil said:

This squad works hard mostly and that helps cover some limitations at times but doesn't over a season but no question they play for the manager and the shirt with the odd exception.

To say they are the hardest working side since the Prem winners is pure spin and regardless of budget there's very little comparison between Mowbray and Allardyce and Hughes  or Souness whose side tended to work hard and be very robust like their gaffer until he lost interest followed by the plot.

TM could however prove to be a lower level version of them if he got us a few top 8 finishes in coming seasons on the budget he has.

??? How can it be spin? I don’t work for the club or have any vested interest in Mowbray. I’ve openly said the team aren’t brilliant players. I’ve also said that if he fails to sign the right players and cannot get near the top 6 then he’s completely at fault. BUT, I watched the Hughes, Souness and Allardyce teams and I genuinely haven’t seen a harder working team than this one in 24 years. I don’t care whether anyone agrees with me...

My feeling is, we’ve got a good honest manager and a hard working set of players. So, regardless of who we sign I’ll pay my money and support my team. If you aren’t willing to do that then that’s upto you. 

• Like 1

so is this the summer transfer window thread or some sort of lets compare previous fecking managers and players?

il edit and say anyone here think taking a punt on bony? striker is 30 years of age and has a wealth of experience! although wages might be high but it could be a decent gamble he knows where the goal is

Edited by AdamRochina
  • Like 1

Just now, Paul Mani said:

The fact you’re so personally affronted by my opinion says more about you than it does me. I haven’t called any one person out. If you can justify not going to the match then that’s fine by me. ??

Moreover, I don’t need to justify myself to any of you. I don’t constantly ask for justification on all the ridiculously emotional rants on here. This is about opinions. 

I dont need to justify not going to the match as I am still a season ticket holder. Not that anyone has to justify their non-attendance to any one else, nor does that mean that those people dont or shouldnt still have a vested interest. My main criticism of your "opinion" is that it is based on something that I am not sure is entirely true, that people who dont attend are the ones complaining about a lack of signings. 

• Like 2

Just now, AdamRochina said:

so is this the summer transfer window thread or some sort of lets compare previous fecking managers and players?

il edit and say anyone here think taking a punt on bony? striker is 30 years of age and has a wealth of experience! although wages might be high but it could be a decent gamble he knows where the goal is

Does he have the drive anymore? Seems like after his move to city he’s sort of faded away

• Like 1

Just now, Igloo5090 said:

Does he have the drive anymore? Seems like after his move to city he’s sort of faded away

he was on loan i think at a quatar club? unsure but i know he scored like 5 in 7 games or something, i know the leagues not exactly up to the standard over here but im sure he could still do a job here, he has a decent presence about him, strong on and off the ball and an intelligent player and if we get him playing again could be an assett

Just now, Paul Mani said:

??? How can it be spin? I don’t work for the club or have any vested interest in Mowbray. I’ve openly said the team aren’t brilliant players. I’ve also said that if he fails to sign the right players and cannot get near the top 6 then he’s completely at fault. BUT, I watched the Hughes, Souness and Allardyce teams and I genuinely haven’t seen a harder working team than this one in 24 years. I don’t care whether anyone agrees with me...

My feeling is, we’ve got a good honest manager and a hard working set of players. So, regardless of who we sign I’ll pay my money and support my team. If you aren’t willing to do that then that’s upto you. 

It’s a shame you didn’t get a seat that faced the pitch before Mowbray rocked up. You’ve missed some great players.

Getting promoted from League One really has turned Mowbray into some kind of footigod!

Anywho... I’ll be once again be judging Mowbray on his recruitment and approach to games and not how much better Paul Mani thinks he is at getting players to work hard.

• Like 2

Just now, AdamRochina said:

Agree, come here looking for transfers all I'm reading is 50 odd pages of people still living in the past

Just now, Stuart said:

It’s a shame you didn’t get a seat that faced the pitch before Mowbray rocked up. You’ve missed some great players.

Getting promoted from League One really has turned Mowbray into some kind of footigod!

Anywho... I’ll be once again be judging Mowbray on his recruitment and approach to games and not how much better Paul Mani thinks he is at getting players to work hard.

Nope, as per my actual comments (be better if you read them before replying). The players we have aren’t great. And Mowbray is no God. But his team DO work hard.

I’m glad you are judging the manager on his recruitment and approach. This makes much more sense than calling for his head before a ball has been kicked.

Edited by Paul Mani

Just now, deryck guyler's spoon said:

We're hardly alone in  that respect are we?

No, my point was not to criticise a lack of signings, it was to answer as to why for any discussion to take place, it would inevitably go off on a tangent, otherwise there will be no discussion at all.

Seperate point, but I do understand why Rovers fans have extra reason to quickly get concerned at a lack of signings, Venkys have history of turning off the tap, and they have this backwards insistence on making the manager wait to find out his budget weeks after the season ends, so it puts a delay on things. Last summer Mowbray repeated ad nauseum his desire for earlier signings that never materialised.

• Like 1

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

Agree, come here looking for transfers all I'm reading is 50 odd pages of people still living in the past

The past is one of the greatest things about my football club and it's something I revel in. The future really worries me.

• Like 6