BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Nope, as per my actual comments (be better if you read them before replying). The players we have aren’t great. And Mowbray is no God. But his team DO work hard.

I’m glad you are judging the manager on his recruitment and approach. This makes much more sense than calling for his head before a ball has been kicked.

Good to see that you’ve spotted your mistake and are now backtracking. Fair play.

I’ve always judged him in that way. His approach before he came to Rovers was why I didn’t want him in the first place. Funny though, people said exactly the same thing about Coyle.

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Nope, as per my actual comments (be better if you read them before replying). The players we have aren’t great. And Mowbray is no God. But his team DO work hard.

I’m glad you are judging the manager on his recruitment and approach. This makes much more sense than calling for his head before a ball has been kicked.

No one has ever doubted his teams work rate, people are seemingly more confused by suggesting that some of the teams weve had inbetween havent worked as hard.

Whether you agree or not, anyone calling for his head is doing so after many balls have been kicked, strange comment considering he has been here for 2 and a half years.

Just now, Stuart said:

Good to see that you’ve spotted your mistake and are now backtracking. Fair play.

I’ve always judged him in that way. His approach before he came to Rovers was why I didn’t want him in the first place. Funny though, people said exactly the same thing about Coyle.

No change in my view...and in relation to the point highlighted - WOW! ?

15 minutes ago, AdamRochina said:

he was on loan i think at a quatar club? unsure but i know he scored like 5 in 7 games or something, i know the leagues not exactly up to the standard over here but im sure he could still do a job here, he has a decent presence about him, strong on and off the ball and an intelligent player and if we get him playing again could be an assett

No doubt he’s a solid player, I remember my stoke supporting mate saying he had one of the first worst touches he’d seen. But I do think he would provide something quite different to the current strike force in terms of athleticism. 

He has an impressive scoring records in some good leagues - Ereverdisie and the prem - so probably worth a punt if not too expensive. Which I would have thought he would be 

4 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

First game of the season shortly before he left. Even the players that stand out were past it - Amorouso, Yorke (Soon to leave), Short. 

Ferguson was dreadful and shortly left.

The quality of Duff, Dunn, Jansen, Cole, Berg long gone.

Hughes had us top 6 in the Premier League the season after.

BD43A06E-98AE-490B-A6E0-C629277242F6.png

That's an awful team, Friedel being the exception. The rest were either over the hill, played out of position or just plain shite. Matteo in CM was the moment Souness and the plot parted company. His team that got promoted from the Championship was better than that rabble. 

The way Hughes turned that club around was phenomenal. Nelsen - Free; Samba - £500k; RSC - £3m; Benni £2.5m etc etc. The only big outlay was £6m or so on Bellamy. Very few signings he made flopped and some were sold for a huge profit. Only Bowyer comes close for the amount of money he made the club versus outlay.

In the 'Bang-For-Your-Buck' stakes Hughes is probably the best manager there's been in my time watching Rovers.

Overall Hughes is in my lifetime top 3 with Dalglish and Kendall (An argument can be made for Souness)

Compare and contrast Mowbray. A lot of his signings have been average at best. Dack has been a revelation. BB an absolute joke for the money. In between there are some failures and others that have been half decent. There's only Dack that we could sell for good money at this moment in time.

Mowbray has also been been very, very fortunate to be backed the way he has. For a club £120m in debt he can't complain at the resource he's had.

As for work rate, I've also never seen a team work as hard as Hughes'. Dalglish's team was very similar. Mowbray's team do work hard for each other but they are nowhere near as fit. Hughes wouldn't have tolerated Dack's obvious weight issues or Armstrong's strolling. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

??? How can it be spin? I don’t work for the club or have any vested interest in Mowbray. I’ve openly said the team aren’t brilliant players. I’ve also said that if he fails to sign the right players and cannot get near the top 6 then he’s completely at fault. BUT, I watched the Hughes, Souness and Allardyce teams and I genuinely haven’t seen a harder working team than this one in 24 years. I don’t care whether anyone agrees with me...

My feeling is, we’ve got a good honest manager and a hard working set of players. So, regardless of who we sign I’ll pay my money and support my team. If you aren’t willing to do that then that’s upto you. 

Spin and twist ?  Oh you're good !   Just where in that post did I mention I wasn't prepared to do that ?   Or where did I mention or quote you ?  I just read people talking about comparisons so why the rush to defend yourself ?

Oh and by the way why do you only ever usually pop up in or around transfer windows and summer looking for things you assume to be negative ?

As for supporting the team I've been going man and boy since 1981/82 so you stick to your limited knowledge of comparisons and levels of support and i'll stick to my rather more experienced version ! Cheers ?

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

Just now, tomphil said:

Spin and twist ?  Oh you're good !   Just where in that post did I mention I wasn't prepared to do that ?   Or where did I mention or quote you ?  I just read people talking about comparisons so why the rush to defend yourself ?

Oh and by the way why do you only ever usually pop up in or around transfer windows and summer looking for things you assume to be negative ?

As for supporting the team I've been going man and boy since 1981/82 so you stick to your limited knowledge of comparisons and levels of support and i'll stick to my rather more experienced version ! Cheers ?

He's not a troll though. Definitely not??

• Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

“To say they are the hardest working side since the Prem winners is pure spin

Direct quote....?

1 hour ago, AdamRochina said:

he was on loan i think at a quatar club? unsure but i know he scored like 5 in 7 games or something, i know the leagues not exactly up to the standard over here but im sure he could still do a job here, he has a decent presence about him, strong on and off the ball and an intelligent player and if we get him playing again could be an assett

Given the money he will have made in his career it probably takes him all his time to roll out of bed in time to report for training at 9.30 in the morning. Exactly the sort of player we shouldn't be going anywhere near. 

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Given the money he will have made in his career it probably takes him all his time to roll out of bed in time to report for training at 9.30 in the morning. Exactly the sort of player we shouldn't be going anywhere near. 

Has Bony been linked? I’m not sure on him...

25 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Has Bony been linked? I’m not sure on him...

Hes also going to want at least 20k a week more than what we want to pay!

3 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Wage budget will determine success? We paid dollar to the likes of Murphy and that tosser we got from Newcastle, Best! Did that bring success?

Ask Man. Utd who must be paying Sanchez peanuts then!

Its the choosing of the correct players and coaching the best out of them that get success. There are plenty other examples of mercenaries for wages.

You mention McGinn at Villa but when Bruce was manager they were below us.

You can only coach the players available to you. How do you think you aquire the best players and coaches? Money.. 

In the modern football world ruled by agents, 95% of footballers goes to the biggest paycheck. 

You can certainly spend Money poorly as you mention, but as a general rule the league table reflect the wage budget. 

The reason I find the Championship so entertaing is that it's probably the league with most upsets against the Money rule. The Premier League has become so boring and predictable with the top clubs so far ahead. 

Villa went up because they blew us out of the water on wages to McGinn and could afford the massive wages to Tammy Abraham. They underperformed but it is easier to turn things around when you have a massive squad. 

Players are wanting more than we can afford when we enquire about them is now making its predictable appearance along with the no shit Sherlock if you want to sign good players early you pay top dollar and get good players.!!!!

I did mention now was a really good time to make room on the wage bill so that a bit more might be chucked at a decent signing instead of carrying players who'll contribute very little if anything.

We'll sign some young ones who'll bubble along underneath and break into the side also.

Goal posts are moving away from the ready made champ players it looks like, i'll stick my hat on it now and say we won't sign one at all who fits that description. We simply won't or can't pay for them and won't clean broom the squad to make ample wage room for a marquee signing. The squad will just be bluffed out again imo.

Lets hope they surprise us and I can wipe egg off my chin !

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

That's an awful team, Friedel being the exception. The rest were either over the hill, played out of position or just plain shite. Matteo in CM was the moment Souness and the plot parted company. His team that got promoted from the Championship was better than that rabble. 

The way Hughes turned that club around was phenomenal. Nelsen - Free; Samba - £500k; RSC - £3m; Benni £2.5m etc etc. The only big outlay was £6m or so on Bellamy. Very few signings he made flopped and some were sold for a huge profit. Only Bowyer comes close for the amount of money he made the club versus outlay.

In the 'Bang-For-Your-Buck' stakes Hughes is probably the best manager there's been in my time watching Rovers.

Overall Hughes is in my lifetime top 3 with Dalglish and Kendall (An argument can be made for Souness)

Compare and contrast Mowbray. A lot of his signings have been average at best. Dack has been a revelation. BB an absolute joke for the money. In between there are some failures and others that have been half decent. There's only Dack that we could sell for good money at this moment in time.

Mowbray has also been been very, very fortunate to be backed the way he has. For a club £120m in debt he can't complain at the resource he's had.

As for work rate, I've also never seen a team work as hard as Hughes'. Dalglish's team was very similar. Mowbray's team do work hard for each other but they are nowhere near as fit. Hughes wouldn't have tolerated Dack's obvious weight issues or Armstrong's strolling. 

I always wonder what happened to Hughes.

He had all the makings of a superstar manager with his work at Wales and then with us. He's turned into a journeyman manager who outstays his welcome after a couple of years. 

He seemed to lose his magic touch in the transfer market after he left us. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Can't argue with almost all of that.

All I'd say that is that Hughes level of success in the transfer market (and even he was responsible for some turkeys; Rigters, Vogel, Berner to name 3) is an awfully high standard to judge everyone else towards. Fitness levels too for that matter, was it Mourinho who said that the Rovers team of that period were the fittest in the league?

I'd look at his signings a bit more favourably too. Dack is the only player who'd go for megabucks, but we'd have to say that Rothwell & Armstrong would go down as good investments who would feasibly go for big sums in the future. Too early to say with Chapman or Davenport, but the odds are decent. You could even argue that BB is too early in his career to be confident one way or the other about he's going to develop, but that's not a hill I'm willing to die on.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17694601.rovers-transfer-latest-from-boss-tony-mowbray/

“The only way to get players in early is to pay top dollar and over the odds and you get who you want,” the boss added. But we aren’t that club, we won’t spend the cash willy-nilly" - Mowbray

See the source image

Unnecessary?

• Like 5