BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

58 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Kompany and Zabaleta were both signed for £6m (ish) within weeks of Hughes leaving Rovers for City.

They were Hughes' top targets for us that summer and the wheels were in motion on both. Hence why it was such a quick double signing at City.

Imagine if City had waited a few more weeks and we signed both of them in 2008 instead of Grella, Andrews and Simpson.

They can join the fantasy 11 players we almost had along with Keane, Zidane, Dugarry and Lewandowski.

Don't know why I'm actually putting myself through this, but I wonder what said XI would actually look like. Just the ones you mention are half way to being a world class side.

47 minutes ago, Amo said:

Thinking the Trust would've sanctioned either of those signings.

AdmiredClutteredEgret-small.gif

To be fair, not that outlandish that we could've signed one or both if we had different priorities of spending the Bentley & Friedel money. Money paid for Robinson, Grella, Andrews & the money we found for Diouf would've been comfortably more than £6million

1 hour ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Kompany and Zabaleta were both signed for £6m (ish) within weeks of Hughes leaving Rovers for City.

They were Hughes' top targets for us that summer and the wheels were in motion on both. Hence why it was such a quick double signing at City.

Imagine if City had waited a few more weeks and we signed both of them in 2008 instead of Grella, Andrews and Simpson.

They can join the fantasy 11 players we almost had along with Keane, Zidane, Dugarry and Lewandowski.

Part of the reason Hughes left was that he couldn't get the financial backing to secure players like DIarra, Kompany and Zabaleta. 

With investment (£20m ish) we could have made the Champion League I think under Mark Hughes. But without the cash Hughes, quite understandably, thought he had done everything he could and moved on. I can't really blame John Williams as he didn't have the cash to fund those sorts of signings, and he was trying to keep the club sustainable.

For Hughes I think he genuinely thought it was only a matter of time before he managed the likes of United or Chelsea. Didn't really work out like that though, the top clubs were only going for very well established talent who won trophies.

Hughes walking out on Fulham was real hubris.

Edited by joey_big_nose

They should've stumped up for Diara that was a real boo boo and Hughes deserved that level of backing.

However deep behind the scenes the intention was to off load the club not build it that's why we ended up like we are -- totally hamstrung.

• Like 1

I'm sure had Fergie packed in earlier or Hughes hadn't gone to City then he'd have been next to or ahead of Moyes for that job. But he burnt his bridges by joining City and ensured he wouldn't get the United job. 

He always had a high opinion of himself justifiably so given his record at Rovers but perhaps not on his record at Fulham, QPR, Stoke and Southampton. Not particularly well thought of at any of those clubs and each one ended in a shambles. Fell out with Al Fayed then left the others in dire straits. Decent job at Stoke with 3 top 10 finishes in a row but nothing spectacular really. 

If he wants to manage again it will be either Championship or abroad. Doubt his ego could handle dropping down a division so I expect it will be early retirement unless a good offer from overseas comes along. You'd think someone in Spain or Germany would be interested given his playing background.

Quite clear with hindsight that the Trust were taking us one way only with their refusal to invest in the club and lack of interest. As with Venkys theres no room in this game for reluctant or couldn't care less owners. Don't need to be hands on but need to take an interest and want the club to improve.

It was only the good work of Williams, Finn, Hughes and Allardyce etc. that kept the ship afloat. The Trust deserve no credit for that.

3 hours ago, old darwen blue said:

Really!!!

Yes, when we were struggling in the relegation season of 1965-66 we were desperate for new blood in midfield. Dougie having been injured quite a lot that season. We tried to sign Bell from Bury before the deadline day but he went to City instead. They were in the old second division but on the way up and we were obviously on the way down out of the first division. Having failed to get Bell we splashed the cash on Martin Britt from West Ham who came with a serious knee injury and played about 12 games for us without ever scoring a goal before having to retire !

Who knows what would have happened if Bell would have joined us ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yes, when we were struggling in the relegation season of 1965-66 we were desperate for new blood in midfield. Dougie having been injured quite a lot that season. We tried to sign Bell from Bury before the deadline day but he went to City instead. They were in the old second division but on the way up and we were obviously on the way down out of the first division. Having failed to get Bell we splashed the cash on Martin Britt from West Ham who came with a serious knee injury and played about 12 games for us without ever scoring a goal before having to retire !

Who knows what would have happened if Bell would have joined us ?

Yeah Martin Britt, had to retire at 21, that’s when the the medical as we know today came about, because West Ham conned us, and sold us a crock.

Just now, unsall said:

Yeah Martin Britt, had to retire at 21, that’s when the the medical as we know today came about, because West Ham conned us, and sold us a crock.

Thought the medicals came in, after Rovers sued Huddersfield over the Alan Gilliver transfer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Sambou, striker target (probably for the youth team) offered new deal by Everton.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/the72.co.uk/134069/blackburn-rovers-striker-target-offered-new-deal-at-premier-league-club/amp/

Think they have to make an offer for it to go to a tribunal when he signs for someone else (so they get a bit of a fee), non story imo.

• Like 1

Sambou another one though, playing in the same league as Joe Nuttall and Dan Butterworth. Besides the odd one or two, we have absolutely no need to be loaning players from teams that we play in the Under 23's league, where we beat teams like Liverpool, City and Spurs.

Bunch of talk at a few Championship teams about Man City's Felix Nmecha, who honestly looked about as good as as Chris Taylor when they played our lot at Ewood. We shouldn't spend a dime on Prem loans (unless it's for players with plenty of first team experience like Reed/Gallagher)

1 hour ago, blondie said:

Thought the medicals came in, after Rovers sued Huddersfield over the Alan Gilliver transfer.

Yes, you're right. Another signing that didn't work although Gilliver did play quite a few games. To think we let Johnny Byrom go to Bolton so we could buy Gilliver.  He became a legend at Bolton.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Don't know why I'm actually putting myself through this, but I wonder what said XI would actually look like. Just the ones you mention are half way to being a world class side.

GK

Zabaleta - CB - Kompany  - LB

Keane - CM

RW         - Zidane -     Dugarry

Lewandowski

I think those 7 would beat almost every Blackburn starting 11 from the past 8 years. ?

Were we not linked with Gareth Bale at one point during the Bentley to Spurs period and turned down the part exchange, also we turned down signing Son Hueng Min for the weekly wage of a championship player, did we not? Stick Bale at LB and Son on RW and that team is only a CB and CM shy of Champions League domination...

I'd personally keep Raya in goal ?

Just now, Angry_Pirate said:

GK

Keane - CM

Lewandowski

I think those 7 would beat almost every Blackburn starting 11 from the past 8 years. ?

Were we not linked with Gareth Bale at one point during the Bentley to Spurs period and turned down the part exchange, also we turned down signing Son Hueng Min for the weekly wage of a championship player, did we not? Stick Bale at LB and Son on RW and that team is only a CB and CM shy of Champions League domination...

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/5975839.rovers-deny-pirlo-swoop/

Not a bad foil for Keane.

Wasn't Miranda (ex Atletico & Brazil CB) linked heavily with us in the £50 million warchest days?

11 hours ago, AJW said:

Would we take Vydra or Wells from our 6 fingered cousins down the road ?

Burnley haven't got a decent striker on their books , why do we want one , who can't even get a game ???

Edited by Waggy76

2 hours ago, Angry_Pirate said:

GK

Keane - CM

Lewandowski

Didn't Nicko say we were signing Axel Witsel in the " £ 50 Million Warchest " era ?

Just now, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

Watching Ireland Vs Gibraltar and Annesley looks pretty bloody decent. Reminds of a young Phil Jones. Doesn't look out of his depth at all against this Championship based Irish team. 

He didn’t look that good against Georgia.

I’ve seen him play three times I think. Decent, average, decent. The third one being the Lancashire Cup Final win against that lot.

3 hours ago, RV Blue said:

Think they have to make an offer for it to go to a tribunal when he signs for someone else (so they get a bit of a fee), non story imo.

Good point, hadn't considered that. It does have to be equal to or better than his existing deal though, which you'd think means there's a chance he'll sign it. Not that I particularly care, it's not a prospective signing that hugely whets the appetite (though you never know how these ones will turn out).