BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, rickard said:

Chris Samba is still without club as far as I know. Wonder if he's still any good. 35 years old and probably used to a bit higher salary than we can afford... 

Really find it surprising how he wasn't a megastar post-Rovers. An absolute colossus once he got used to the league and ironed out the odd concentration error. 

Even 70% of Samba at his pomp is what we're crying out for. Sadly he's not likely to be as good as that. 

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, Dr X said:

He makes a valid point. Did we need an up and coming player or could the 7m have been better spent elsewhere? He rarely replaced Graham, mainly coming on as a wide man. 

If I'd had 7m on FM, I wouldn't be signing potential. If we have similar amounts this summer, then I hope he signs, proven quality to enhance the 1st 11. 

????

Yeah, you are right Dr X. Maybe attach your FM history to your CV the next time the job comes open...you may get it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biz said:

I’m quite sure that none of us need the cyclical and boring arguments about how much he actually cost.

If you’re desperate for that - I’m sure you and 47er can find the Brereton thread, save rest of us the repetition.

Are you really obtuse enough to miss the point twice, even when I spelt it out so clearly? If that's all you've got then it really would be pointless having a discussion with you, so I will just leave it here.

1 hour ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Really find it surprising how he wasn't a megastar post-Rovers. An absolute colossus once he got used to the league and ironed out the odd concentration error. 

Even 70% of Samba at his pomp is what we're crying out for. Sadly he's not likely to be as good as that. 

A real waste. A mate of mine who is an Arsenal fan used to really want him - in fact still says they should have got him back then. We are both bemused how things worked out. Just down to him making the wrong move in his impatience to get out/desire for more money.

Unless you're Russian, playing in Russia seems to be a career graveyard.

He would've been a cracking signing for Arsenal or Liverpool back then but Wenger seemed terrified of big strapping centre halves who can actually defend (ring any bells !).

Dalglish and that director of football they had at the time were regular visitors to Ewood and said to be watching him.  Think it was also said they fell out over it.

Big Chris seemed happy to ship his Bentley to the icy wastes for 70k pwk though. Strange lad.

20 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Are you really obtuse enough to miss the point twice, even when I spelt it out so clearly? If that's all you've got then it really would be pointless having a discussion with you, so I will just leave it here.

If that’s all I’ve got? Do you read your own posts, it’s not gladiators mate.

..and as for 47ers wish that we don’t waste money like last summer. You may have missed it - I don’t think it’s a waste yet.

As I’ve said previously. I hope we invest a similar amount in the team, preferably more potentials and punts, as opposed to the bigger waged older Downings and Whealans mooted! 

10 hours ago, Biz said:

Isn’t able to play or isn’t able to dislodge the eventual player of the season?

Im not under the impression transfer business is simple, and whilst I’d like to see more cash hit the first team, I’d be happy if they’re putting the wage bill up and/or investing a few million in the team !

If he isn't good enough to get in the 1st team then we shouldn't have been spending £7m on him. It really is that simple. We wouldn't get anywhere near that if we sold him tomorrow. Dreadful business by whoever agreed the fee. 

• Like 4

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

If he isn't good enough to get in the 1st team then we shouldn't have been spending £7m on him. It really is that simple. We wouldn't get anywhere near that if we sold him tomorrow. Dreadful business by whoever agreed the fee. 

Respectfully disagree m8

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

I have to agree, especially, when you consider where else that kind of money could have made a real difference.

It looks like a major cock- up...or someone meddling behind the scenes.

I remember John Williams saying that a mistake like that in the transfer market would have done major damage and that was when we were a stable, premier league club.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Biz said:

Respectfully disagree m8

You've got to be kidding. What exactly are you suggesting Brereton offers to the team because from what I've seen in the matches I've attended I'd have been almost as effective as he was

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Biz said:

..and as for 47ers wish that we don’t waste money like last summer. You may have missed it - I don’t think it’s a waste yet.

As I’ve said previously. I hope we invest a similar amount in the team, preferably more potentials and punts, as opposed to the bigger waged older Downings and Whealans mooted! 

I was a fully paid-up member of the John O'Mara Appreciation Society and I kept hoping to the end.

Nobody wants this lad to be a failure, but he looks as bad as Nuttall to me!

4 hours ago, Biz said:

Read your own, also read mine and others who are speaking to you, and you'll neither be completely inconsistent in your own arguments, nor make ridiculous comparisons to gladiators.

9 hours ago, Biz said:

I’m quite sure that none of us need the cyclical and boring arguments about how much he actually cost.

If you’re desperate for that - I’m sure you and 47er can find the Brereton thread, save rest of us the repetition.

Good deflection! You spent months arguing vociferously that Brereton didn't cost £7M. Then, when it suits you, you claim we spent £10+ million in last year's transfer window, a figure that can only be arrived at by including £7M for Brereton.

Got it? End of!

Edited by 47er
typo
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, gumboots said:

You've got to be kidding. What exactly are you suggesting Brereton offers to the team because from what I've seen in the matches I've attended I'd have been almost as effective as he was

This isn’t difficult. BB was 19 when he signed for Rovers. He is an England u17 and 19 international and has won some youth honours. He is very highly rated as a future top level prospect.  He has no real first team pedigree and so was obviously bought for the future. He’s two years younger than Joe Nuttall and Armstrong.

People are SO fixated on the money but when you buy a 19yr old what do you expect?  He will be expected to kick on this season and be the main man the season after.

If there’s no progression then absolutely begin to worry. But I feel the people who are determined to judge him now will end up feeling pretty stupid at some point. If this guy becomes the player they expect in the next two years he will be the one who fires us to promotion, worth anything in the region of £25m+

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

This isn’t difficult. BB was 19 when he signed for Rovers. He is an England u17 and 19 international and has won some youth honours. He is very highly rated as a future top level prospect.  He has no real first team pedigree and so was obviously bought for the future. He’s two years younger than Joe Nuttall and Armstrong.

People are SO fixated on the money but when you buy a 19yr old what do you expect?  He will be expected to kick on this season and be the main man the season after.

If there’s no progression then absolutely begin to worry. But I feel the people who are determined to judge him now will end up feeling pretty stupid at some point. If this guy becomes the player they expect in the next two years he will be the one who fires us to promotion, worth anything in the region of £25m+

I never mentioned the money. I merely mentioned that in the matches I'd seen I couldn't see a championship footballer. There are a lot of lads who do well early in their career at junior and even U21 levels who for whatever reason do not push on and make the grade. We've seen it with some of our own youngsters in the past. Brereton looks like that to me. We don't doubt that he's shown ability at youth level. But to move up and take that ability to the next level requires more than Brereton currently seems to have and I don't think he's finding it here at Rovers 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Read your own, also read mine and others who are speaking to you, and you'll neither be completely inconsistent in your own arguments, nor make ridiculous comparisons to gladiators.

I was being sarcastic. “If that’s all you’ve got” sounded like something the Wolf would say to wind his foe up. AWOOGA

If you don’t want talk football Bruce, and you simply want to start arguments and call people obtuse, don’t @ me.

7 hours ago, 47er said:

Good deflection! You spent months arguing vociferously that Brereton didn't cost £7M. Then, when it suits you, you claim we spent £10+ million in last year's transfer window, a figure that can only be arrived at by including £7M for Brereton.

Got it? End of!

Ah so because I was skeptical about the fee being as much as 7m, I’m now not allowed to say I’d be happy if the owners put a decent figure in again....

Makes perfect sense that mate, well done.

Plus, using the actual chairman’s words to put into context why his fee was higher is not “arguing vociferously” neither has my opinion changed much. 

Now if you’ve finished with gish gallop, I still hope we spend a good dollop or “nearly 10million” this summer.

@gumboots - I disagree, I’ve seen positive and negative aspects in his play, but the overall feeling I got was he needed more time in a central position, potentially in a 2 upfront.

In the entire season, I remember him having one clear cut opportunity and he scored.

Edited by Biz

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Nah you're right, it isn't.

If we are almost equalling our club record fee on a player, with our balance sheet, he needs to come in and be more like Graham sooner rather than later!

It's obviously not Brereton's fault he cost that amount of money and I really hope he does end up being amazing by the way!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Can anyone name another Championship club who have spent such a huge amount on a prospect who isn’t ready for first team football?

Yes! Supporters all over the country are berating their clubs for not signing this £7M bargain! Imagine their grief when he's a full England international and worth £60M.

A few have asked but nobody has answered ---if we put this future star up for sale now, how much would we get?

18 minutes ago, Biz said:

Ah so because I was skeptical about the fee being as much as 7m, I’m now not allowed to say I’d be happy if the owners put a decent figure in again....

Makes perfect sense that mate, well done.

Plus, using the actual chairman’s words to put into context why his fee was higher is not “arguing vociferously” neither has my opinion changed much. 

Now if you’ve finished with gish gallop, I still hope we spend a good dollop or “nearly 10million” this summer.

You can say whatever you like but it would be nice if you were consistent.

What you can't expect is to deny a figure for months and then use that same figure when it suits you and not have that pointed out.