BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

2 hours ago, rigger said:

The problem is we have limited financial resources, and at the moment we do not need a keeper, but we do need a center half with leadership qualities. That is where I would like to see our resources go.

I agree we need a centre half but I could use your exact argument for the reasoning of a new keeper, someone with leadership qualities. In my opinion it's possibly more important, Raya cost us easy 10 points last season, maybe more in regards to lack of organisation and communication with his back 4. if we have any ambitions of getting out of this league then we need to be strengthening our weakest areas.

In my opinion we need 5 good quality players, GK, CB, LB, CM and CF. I think if we can quality and experience to those areas we'll be in good shape. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Beanie01289 said:

How about we see what Brereton has done for the club by the time he leaves then we will be able to accurately assess if he has been worth what's been spent. 

The knee jerk reactions to signings astounds me I'm guessing everyone writing Brereton off also thought bale flopped at spurs

I don't believe it's a knee-jerk from many at all. In particular what irks me is the fact we spent a huge amount of money (perhaps at the expense of more important areas) on a 'project' which even by Mowbrays admission is somewhat of a gamble. For him to only start four games and end up with the under 23's speaks volumes in my opinion. It's early days as you rightly say but the signs so far have been completely discouraging. Personally I don't even see the basics in him but we can all see different things in players.

Irrespective of what anybody thinks he will be here for a while.

I, along with the vast majority want him to do well as that will be to the betterment of our club.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

I can’t comment on if it’s justifiable or not because I haven’t read umpteen scout reports on him, watched him play youth games, spoken to several top coaches about his potential, or had to make the decision to sign a player for now or as a prospect. If I had all of that information I could do that.

What I do know is that when we initially tried to get him the Forest fans were outraged and insistent on social media and their forums that they didn’t want to lose him. I also recall Mowbray stating fairly early on that B.B. was one for the future.

Premier league teams spend that type of money on prospects all the time. They don’t do that because they have more money to lose. No one sets out to buy a bad player or lose money. They do it because they see the potential for that player to become amazing. To be worth 10 times the fee...

And I haven’t predicted a single thing. The point about his value, goals and future achievements was made as a rationale as to why these players are signed. It would be baseless if I or you made any assumption on his potential. The people who have made that judgement and risk assessment on the potential rewards are in informed positions.

It is absolutely ok to question the clubs decision if you feel we would have been better served by an Assombalonga right now. But they chose another route to take...

My primary point here is that to judge a 19yr Old on his ability to be a top level player based purely on a cost you have not even had to pay is basically, brainless.

The fees comes into play in terms of the discussion as to whether hes a success as a signing. Premier League clubs obviously dont want to throw money away either but they have much more money in general to afford to take a risk on a project. You can say how long ago the Andy Cole deal was but for context, all the rest of our transfer fees combined over at least 5 or 6 years wont match the Brereton one so yes it is a massive amount of money for a club like ours at this stage of the teams development with many weaknesses in the team. People are right to question whether we can afford to blow the majority of our money on a project who last year didnt even provide competition/adequate back up for Graham.

In terms of my prediction as to whether he can be a top level player, I base that totally on what I have seen so far, and I would suggest that he is incredibly unlikely to have the potential to do that.

If you prefer not to comment due to not having all the information (scouting reports etc) at hand then why are you so embroiled in defending the deal. Ultimately all that matters is what happens on the pitch.

30 minutes ago, Beanie01289 said:

How about we see what Brereton has done for the club by the time he leaves then we will be able to accurately assess if he has been worth what's been spent. 

The knee jerk reactions to signings astounds me I'm guessing everyone writing Brereton off also thought bale flopped at spurs

Makes no sense this. Should we have a ban on discussing any of our players until they leave?

• Like 2

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Makes no sense this. Should we have a ban on discussing any of our players until they leave?

No but maybe judge u21s with more patience even if they have a potentially large fee.

Just now, davulsukur said:

With Luca Toni?

And Britt Assombalonga?

Isn't it nice to see another name other than Brereton mentioned. 

Right if you could all have 5 signings (realistic ones) within the kind of budget we are all imagining, who would they be. 

Mine would be 

Vorm

Barbet

Hutton

Jacob Murphy

Grabban

Just now, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

Isn't it nice to see another name other than Brereton mentioned. 

Right if you could all have 5 signings (realistic ones) within the kind of budget we are all imagining, who would they be. 

Mine would be 

Vorm

Barbet

Hutton

Jacob Murphy

Grabban

Jake Bidwell 

Jake Cooper

Yoann Barbet 

Albert Adomah 

Joe Aribo

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Jake Bidwell 

Jake Cooper

Yoann Barbet 

Albert Adomah 

Joe Aribo

Everything I hear about Cooper is that he sounds exactly what we need. Some rumours around clubs with bigger budgets, but nothing from the Prem, so might be doable if we're patient. Failing that, I'd like to try for Liam Lindsay, but again we'll probably have to hope that doesn't turn into an auction.

Not sure if the Freeman ship has sailed, but I think he'd be perfect if we're hoping to play more of a passing style.

I'd be more than happy if we spent the bulk of our budget on one of those defenders and Freeman, with loans and more affordable players filling spots in goal, as Graham back up and perhaps as cover in attacking midfield/wing. 

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

Freeman, Murphy, Cooper, Grabban etc are all fantasy land signings I'm afraid.

Possibly, but we weren't far away for Freeman last year if I recall correctly. QPR are really struggling with FFP and it sounds like he basically needs to be sold. Don't see any reason why that can't be to us if we have a semi-decent budget. 

4 hours ago, 47er said:

We needed a centre-back with leadership qualities a year ago but, for some reason, paid £7M for a young striker with none.

I think we do need a reliable keeper, maybe Raya is one for the future too.

As you have pointed out last season buying a striker for the future, probably stopped us curing our center half problem. I don't see how getting a new goal-keeper will cure it this season. Very few people will actually know what our budget is, but I would go down the road of making buys that we need,to cure the faults,then buy players we would like to have,with what's left.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neal said:

I agree we need a centre half but I could use your exact argument for the reasoning of a new keeper, someone with leadership qualities. In my opinion it's possibly more important, Raya cost us easy 10 points last season, maybe more in regards to lack of organisation and communication with his back 4. if we have any ambitions of getting out of this league then we need to be strengthening our weakest areas.

In my opinion we need 5 good quality players, GK, CB, LB, CM and CF. I think if we can quality and experience to those areas we'll be in good shape. 

I am not saying we don't need to strengthen in the areas that you suggest. but I would not say that keeper was the number 1 priority.

How many points did the rest of the team cost us?

Edited by rigger

18 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

I'd be delighted if Tyrone Mings was spotted in Brockhall Village!

Come on Rovers, we need a decent centre half first and foremost.

Defenders are coming......

Whether they can actually defend or not or they'll even play there is another thing altogether ?

5 hours ago, 47er said:

We needed a centre-back with leadership qualities a year ago but, for some reason, paid £7M for a young striker with none.

I think we do need a reliable keeper, maybe Raya is one for the future too.

Frank Fielding (mentioned  on these pages as a possible target) in talks with Brentford.

9 hours ago, Biz said:

I was being sarcastic. “If that’s all you’ve got” sounded like something the Wolf would say to wind his foe up. AWOOGA

If you don’t want talk football Bruce, and you simply want to start arguments and call people obtuse, don’t @ me.

Ah so because I was skeptical about the fee being as much as 7m, I’m now not allowed to say I’d be happy if the owners put a decent figure in again....

Makes perfect sense that mate, well done.

Plus, using the actual chairman’s words to put into context why his fee was higher is not “arguing vociferously” neither has my opinion changed much. 

Now if you’ve finished with gish gallop, I still hope we spend a good dollop or “nearly 10million” this summer.

@gumboots - I disagree, I’ve seen positive and negative aspects in his play, but the overall feeling I got was he needed more time in a central position, potentially in a 2 upfront.

In the entire season, I remember him having one clear cut opportunity and he scored.

He had a more clear cut chance in the same game from about 4 yards out and ballsed it up. 

Just now, adz4d2 said:

http://sportsrecents.com/blackburn-rovers-keen-on-signing-liverpools-ben-woodburn-on-loan/?fbclid=IwAR0dsepK8AR3JwTHhlm2e13rQxI__x27CmH3sHSFpObMq9Gx4m0l3DR9-d8

BEN WOODBURN, would be a colossal signing if we were to pull it off, extremely highly rated and definitely someone who could improve us going forward.

Is he a commanding center-half?