BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

You keep saying this, but, care to put some more meat on the bones?

Fee, wages, and the fact that if they joined they would be instant, first team players. Tony has only signed two players on permanent deals in two and a half years that have become first team regulars, and one of those is Amari Bell. These kind of deals just wont happen, I'm not saying we wont sign any good players this summer, but the ones we do sign I can guarantee will be out of left field and probably not be first team ready.

Edited by MarkBRFC

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Fair enough. Not sure it’s fair to bring in his time at Aberdeen though.

For me, it’s a straight race between the two - and it could go either way, if Mowbray treats Nuttall fairly.

I rate Nuttall personally - I think many see the ball bounce off him and think the worst, but I think he’s less a target man, more of a poacher off the last man, he’s regularly in the right spot and it’s hard to teach that.

That said - if he wants to be a regular in the top two tiers, he needs to add a bit more too his game. There’s a reason why his cameos are generally up top as a straight swap for DG, he is in now way fast, technical or clever enough to play anywhere else.. YET! 

4th choice behind DG, BB, and AA for me. Definitely a place in the squad, but maybe it’s better for him if he goes on loan..!

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Biz said:

I rate Nuttall personally - I think many see the ball bounce off him and think the worst, but I think he’s less a target man, more of a poacher off the last man, he’s regularly in the right spot and it’s hard to teach that.

That said - if he wants to be a regular in the top two tiers, he needs to add a bit more too his game. There’s a reason why his cameos are generally up top as a straight swap for DG, he is in now way fast, technical or clever enough to play anywhere else.. YET! 

4th choice behind DG, BB, and AA for me. Definitely a place in the squad, but maybe it’s better for him if he goes on loan..!

And he can head it!

9 hours ago, Miller11 said:

Those offside goals are becoming the new Myles Anderson tackles...

Conceded at least two throw-ins directly from shots where he should have got the back of the net.

Dived a bit.

Lost possession cheaply countless times and didn’t retain the ball.

Appeared to lack effort which allowed the opposition to control possession from the back far more easily.

Provided absolutely no outlet.

He did far less than Nuttall.

If you think Brereton has been worth the money, and positively contributed this season, fair enough. I massively disagree. We aren’t ever going to change each other’s minds.

Didn't bother chasing back when he lost the ball is another.

Just now, 47er said:

So Nuttall's only worth £6M then?

Wouldn’t pay 100k for Nuttall he’s never going too cut it at league one never mind championship level.. and I certainly wouldn’t pay 7m for Brereton.. Hopefully he’s been in the gym all summer and consuming 5000 calories a day and he comes back a man rather than a boy. Far too lightweight at the minute.

• Like 2

Just now, Butty said:

wouldn’t pay 7m for Brereton.. Hopefully he’s been in the gym all summer and consuming 5000 calories a day and he comes back a man rather than a boy. Far too lightweight at the minute.

Yeah, and two new feet aswell. I think we've been sold a pup

Just now, 47er said:

And he can head it!

Another reference to Brereton in reply to me (do you have anything else to say btw?),

Since you’re obv desperate for Big Ben chat, I am genuinely excited (oo er) about the potential through the squad; even if one of those lads might cost 7m one day.

If that’s the summer plan from now on, Im far more encouraged than days of Murphy/Etuhu, to summers of Browns, Varneys and Koitas!

Also to add to people’s criticism of the article earlier from TM, he talked about “other clubs offering 5k a week more” aka Cellina/Bamford et al - I’ve seen nobody mention how much a 5k per week raise costs a club if it goes above your previous wage limit/average in renewals.

5 minutes ago, Biz said:

Another reference to Brereton in reply to me (do you have anything else to say btw?),

Since you’re obv desperate for Big Ben chat, I am genuinely excited (oo er) about the potential through the squad; even if one of those lads might cost 7m one day.

If that’s the summer plan from now on, Im far more encouraged than days of Murphy/Etuhu, to summers of Browns, Varneys and Koitas!

Also to add to people’s criticism of the article earlier from TM, he talked about “other clubs offering 5k a week more” aka Cellina/Bamford et al - I’ve seen nobody mention how much a 5k per week raise costs a club if it goes above your previous wage limit/average in renewals.

EH? I was on your side!

Just now, 47er said:

EH? I was on your side!

We’re all on the same side aren’t we? This is a Blackburn Rovers forum after all! I must be Brereton over-sensitive because I was convinced the “he can head a ball” was a thinly veiled Ben dig...

6 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

See a lot of folk are saying Gallagher coming due to being in gym with raya however they are at lenihans wedding 

Who gets married in a gym?

Jokes aside, this is what I wish Dack would do. Find a nice lass, settle down and focus on your footie. None of this party lifestyle with z-listed celebrities. 

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 1

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17705450.ambition-against-finance-the-balancing-act-for-rovers/

This is the biggest hint yet as to how the meetings in Pune went. It seems that TM went over believing he might get backed to buy some better, established players ready for a promotion push and was informed that he would need to continue buying young and developing them to increase their potential re-sale value. Utilising a mid table budget he is now hoping to emulate the likes of Sheff United and Norwich. But he knows they are the exception to the rule.

I certainly read this article as a dampening down of expectation. It explains why he came back from there and didn’t do any media stuff until after his holiday. Based on his previous comments and ambition to manage in the Premier League, he won’t be happy with this stance. For those who want TM out, it wouldn’t surprise me if he jumps at the first chance of a club showing more immediate ambition. So you may just get your wish...

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 1

As Matt says, time and again over the last 10 years teams have managed to get promotion on tight "budgets".  It is all about being organised in the transfer market, having a clear playing philosophy and buying players that fit into that philosophy. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Biz said:

Depends how that's managed. If you don't offer a contract to say a Rodwell, instead ensuring you get your number one target, by paying £5k more - is that not a better recruitment strategy?

Just now, Kamy100 said:

As Matt says, time and again over the last 10 years teams have managed to get promotion on tight "budgets".  It is all about being organised in the transfer market, having a clear playing philosophy and buying players that fit into that philosophy. 

Also highlights whether you have a good manager who can organise a team to over achieve...or an average one that relies on better players than other teams to succeed ?

So far lost Reed, Conway, Downing and likely Rodwell. Work to do just to fill that gap and replace those lot. That's just to stand still assuming nobody else goes. That doesn't cover progression and replacement of people like Smallwood, Nuttall, Evan's etc. If we want to improve.

Won't be long before the club and Telegraph are painting Chapman, Davenport and Samuel as new signings.

2 minutes ago, Kamy100 said:

I don’t think many have gone up on ‘tight’ budgets Kamy. Most in the last decade have had top 10 budgets allied with parachute payments following relegation.

But I do accept that promotion is as much about clear playing philosophy’. This is one area that is very much up in the air. Mowbray publicly stating that he wanted to change ours last year leaves a question mark on how this will develop this season.

Rightly or wrongly, Mowbray likes a healthy budget. I suppose it increases the chance of promotion whichever way you cut it. But I think this stance by the club has increased the chances of Mowbray going in the next 12 months (his choice or the clubs) exponentially.

34 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Depends how that's managed. If you don't offer a contract to say a Rodwell, instead ensuring you get your number one target, by paying £5k more - is that not a better recruitment strategy?

Yea, the most you can get for less is obviously the better way but there’s other factors, for example; a new lad on say 20k + PW is going to cost you a lot in wage rises for the other key players.

Particularly last summer - having shed most silly wages by the time we had returned from league one, I’m quite sure the likes of Dack, Graham, Mulgrew, Evans et al would’ve been our top earners below 20k PW.

Stick a Bamford in there for 5m and 25k pw (remember the average pl wage is now +50k pw) and you can guarantee the better players would want parity.

Edited by Biz

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17705450.ambition-against-finance-the-balancing-act-for-rovers/

This is the biggest hint yet as to how the meetings in Pune went. It seems that TM went over believing he might get backed to buy some better, established players ready for a promotion push and was informed that he would need to continue buying young and developing them to increase their potential re-sale value. Utilising a mid table budget he is now hoping to emulate the likes of Sheff United and Norwich. But he knows they are the exception to the rule.

I certainly read this article as a dampening down of expectation. It explains why he came back from there and didn’t do any media stuff until after his holiday. Based on his previous comments and ambition to manage in the Premier League, he won’t be happy with this stance. For those who want TM out, it wouldn’t surprise me if he jumps at the first chance of a club showing more immediate ambition. So you may just get your wish...

If course he's dampening down expectation. That's how he's going to keep his job. Him and Waggott used to talk about 'building a club' slowly and how they had to get Venkys to understand how important it was. Now it's all about Rovers being 'middle of the food chain'. The excuses are already being built in ready for the new season. Although there's nowt middle of the food chain about spunking £7m on a Championship teenager. But we aren't allowed to mention the price, Tony said. 

So, he won't resign, it's the total opposite. He's desperately trying to cling on to his job and so he's getting his excuses in early and massively dampening expectation. His comment about being happy if we simply improve and selling players for profit and reinvesting as his long term strategy tell you everything you need to know. 

Mid-table Championship and a profit on players and he'll be happy. The real question is, will Venkys? If so he's going nowhere. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 47er said:

So Nuttall's only worth £6M then?

Where in any of my posts have I said what I think either Brereton or Nuttalls monetary values are. What I said was that of the two I would prefer Brereton. Let's stop arguing about players we already have on a transfers topic.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

The chance of a more ambitious club coming in and snatching Mowbray is a very slim one.

Hes the one whose repeatedly mentioned top 6 and he said only yesterday that hes got a similar budget to last year so if we are loitering in mid table im sure he will be questioned.