BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

1 hour ago, Scotland1 said:

Far better player than Darragh

Whether he is or not wasn't my point. I want us to go forward, we can't improve without a good centre-back partnership. So, I'd welcome him  as an addition.

45 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

If we got offered £7-8 Million for Lenihan I would certainly take it he's a decent defender but easily replaceable and with that sort of money on top of our budget we could have a complete overhaul of our defence which is desperately needed.

But we wouldn't I suspect. We'll get Bauer probably and nothing more. Not even linked with any full-backs are we?

29 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

We never let all those goals in last ten mins when Hanley was in the back 4.  I like him and left because a premier league club wanted him.  Was it Benítez?

No. A Championship club wanted him and then when they got promoted he rarely featured and so they sold him back to a Championship club a year later.

Good Championship player, just not obviously 'far better' than Lenihan. 

I said at the start of the summer that Hanley would be high on my shopping list and if we kept Lenihan I'd be quite pleased with the defence. 

Nixon's theory of bringing in Hanley on loan and selling Lenihan is likely guesswork but exactly the sort of short term stunt we'd pull off to raise cash whilst keeping fans onside by bringing in a relatively popular academy graduate.

Just hope he's over that knee injury he had before transferring to Newcastle....which leg was it on again?

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

We never let all those goals in last ten mins when Hanley was in the back 4.  I like him and left because a premier league club wanted him.  Was it Benítez?

Let's not rewrite history. 

He left to go to a club in the same league as us, played 10 times all season, before leaving to join another championship club a year later.

He also only played 10 games last season.

Avoid.

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

I said at the start of the summer that Hanley would be high on my shopping list and if we kept Lenihan I'd be quite pleased with the defence. 

Nixon's theory of bringing in Hanley on loan and selling Lenihan is likely guesswork but exactly the sort of short term stunt we'd pull off to raise cash whilst keeping fans onside by bringing in a relatively popular academy graduate.

Just hope he's over that knee injury he had before transferring to Newcastle....which leg was it on again?

It's not "likely guess work", it's pure guess work. Hence him saying "I wonder" 

Nothing to see here regards Lenihan 

Hanley on loan would be good. A top championship centre half who knows the club. Would leave us funds for other positions. 

Him, Downing and Morrison would be a great start imo. Bags of championship experience there. Would fit in well with our exciting young team. A marquee striker then and away we go. 

Norwich where never paying out big money on any wages. They were selling to survive. Just luck got them the right combination. Hanley would be ideal. Championship defender for a championship club. Finesse no culture no. Get stuck in yes, get your head on the ball yes, if in danger put it in row z yes. Exactly what’s needed and he has a big gob to go with his big head. For me a tick. Sell lenihan no

• Like 4

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Hanley on loan would be good. A top championship centre half who knows the club. Would leave us funds for other positions. 

Him, Downing and Morrison would be a great start imo. Bags of championship experience there. Would fit in well with our exciting young team. A marquee striker then and away we go. 

Got to agree here, those three and a big name striker and most people would be expecting to be around Top 6.

People spent all last summer saying that we wouldn't land Armstrong because he was on big money at Newcastle and we couldn't afford him. Then he arrived, either because we could afford him, he wasnt on as much as everyone expected at Newcastle or he was willing to come down to enable the move to happen.

Newcastle don't pay mega money under Mike Ashley so whilst Hanley likely got a raise by going there I wouldn't expect it to have been that much. Ashley runs a tight ship and having just got relegated he wouldn't allow silly money on a Championship CB.

15 minutes ago, JHRover said:

People spent all last summer saying that we wouldn't land Armstrong because he was on big money at Newcastle and we couldn't afford him. Then he arrived, either because we could afford him, he wasnt on as much as everyone expected at Newcastle or he was willing to come down to enable the move to happen.

Newcastle don't pay mega money under Mike Ashley so whilst Hanley likely got a raise by going there I wouldn't expect it to have been that much. Ashley runs a tight ship and having just got relegated he wouldn't allow silly money on a Championship CB.

Hanley got at least £45k a week when he went to Newcastle.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/newcastle-defender-grant-hanley-faces-10528597

Comparisons with AA are silly. AA has hardly played above league 1 before joining Rovers. AA was essentially on U23 money.

Hanley was an International when joining Newcastle for £5.5.m - was joining a club flush with parachute money - and was seen as a top Championship defender. 

42 minutes ago, Rogerb said:

For me Grant had one good season for us and that was when Lambert got to grips with the defence

He showed glimpses under Bowyer but you are correct in saying that Lambert made him better. Under Bowyer there saw a general criticism of the fitness levels and Hanley did seem overweight and lacking mobility. It went hand in hand with the holiday camp rumour. Lamberts double sessions certainly helped his career.

51 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Let's not rewrite history. 

He left to go to a club in the same league as us, played 10 times all season, before leaving to join another championship club a year later.

He also only played 10 games last season.

Avoid.

At Norwich, in his first season he was very good, he was the runner up in their player of the season behind James Maddison who obviously then moved for big money to Leicester. He then got an injury early on last season and Ben Godfrey came in (further back than he played at Shrewsbury) and was a revelation but it doesnt mean he isnt a good Championship defender.

Lenihan is a player I think we need to keep and hes got plenty of good attributes, hes our best defender, but he was still a part of our horrendous defence last season, made quite a few errors and is always prone to giving away a penalty, I would say Hanley is a better defender, but id love them both (Hanley permanently) together. 

• Like 2

there is no way that Hanley is on £45000 at Norwich. Their wage structure is similar if not worse  than ours. Remember their odds at the start of the season suggested more relegation than promotion. You could probably half that and that would break their wage structure. 

He probably got a big pay off from Newcastle granted but Norwich wouldn’t be splashing out the same. £45000 for a defensive lump let’s be sensible.

• Like 3

I'd be very happy if we got Hanley.  He was head and shoulders above everyone in the team in his last season and as @roversfan99 pointed he was excellent in his first season at Norwich.  With him and Lenihan we'd be much improved at the back.  I haven't seen much of Bauer but wasn't particularly impressed.  I'd put centre back as my number one priority and would prefer GH as a permanent signing.

• Like 3

Hanley is the ugly monster, kick and head anything that moves type of Centre Half that Lenihan needs next to him. The fact that he has ties to Rovers is a bonus. 

Sign him up Tony, shit give him the armband too. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Boroblue said:

there is no way that Hanley is on £45000 at Norwich. Their wage structure is similar if not worse  than ours. Remember their odds at the start of the season suggested more relegation than promotion. You could probably half that and that would break their wage structure. 

He probably got a big pay off from Newcastle granted but Norwich wouldn’t be splashing out the same. £45000 for a defensive lump let’s be sensible.

£45k at Newcastle not Norwich. The article clearly says he had to take a big pay cut to join Norwich. However, that wasn't @JHRover point, he said Hanley wouldn't have got a big pay rise going from Rovers to Newcastle, and then made some bogus comparison with Armstrong. 

Always best to read the articles. 

Edited by blueboy3333

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

45k at Newcastle not Norwich. The article clearly says he had to take a big pay cut to join Norwich. However, that wasn't what @JHRover point, he said he wouldn't have got a big pay rise going from Rovers to Newcastle, and then made some bogus comparison with Armstrong. 

Always best to read the articles. 

I will take that advice and thank you for your guidance

• Like 1