BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

39 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Is Jordan Hugill for 3m ish marquee enough for you?

I like Hugill, he's a big, strong mobile front man suited to being up there on his own. He's probably only a 15 goal a season man though at best. In a similar mould to Sam Gallagher. I'd imagine he's have to take a massive pay cut to come to Rovers so I can't see it unless it's on loan.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

£45k at Newcastle not Norwich. The article clearly says he had to take a big pay cut to join Norwich. However, that wasn't @JHRover point, he said Hanley wouldn't have got a big pay rise going from Rovers to Newcastle, and then made some bogus comparison with Armstrong. 

Always best to read the articles. 

My point of course was that we've heard about wages being prohibitive before and people said the same about Armstrong last summer. Newcastle don't pay massive wages which is one of the reasons their fans aren't happy. I've no idea what Hanley was on at Newcastle but I'm very confident that Norwich won't be paying him huge bucks. Just an easy excuse at Rovers to moan about wages. Remember Bowyer moaned about being restricted to only 10k a week wages which was more than Rowett had to work with at Birmingham. 

• Like 1

I like Hugill, he's a big, strong mobile front man suited to being up there on his own. He's probably only a 15 goal a season man though at best. In a similar mould to Sam Gallagher. I'd imagine he's have to take a massive pay cut to come to Rovers so I can't see it unless it's on loan.

Mowbray said we are playing 2 up front this season (so Ben can run the channels and dribble).

So that means Ben plus another up top.

20 goals each and a hatful from an exciting Rothwell / Dack midfield.

On our way back !

Of course that was more Mowbray nonsense and simply won't happen.

Just now, JHRover said:

Newcastle don't pay massive wages which is one of the reasons their fans aren't happy. I've no idea what Hanley was on at Newcastle but I'm very confident that Norwich won't be paying him huge bucks.

Newcastle were paying him £45k a week according to the article. He had to take a huge pay cut to go to Norwich. However, I bet he's still on more at Norwich than the highest paid player in our squad. Norwich's crowds are a lot bigger than ours and they aren't £130m in debt. Two years ago they reported (at the time) the Championship's 2nd highest wage bill ever at £55m. It will have gone down since then but it will still be considerably higher than ours. We pay around £15m at present iirc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fraserkirky said:

Is Jordan Hugill for 3m ish marquee enough for you?

I don't think his record is marquee to be honest. Marquee at this level for me would be someone heavily proven.  Assombalonga maybe. But the realistic chances of getting someone like that are slim. 

I think we'll end up with a sub keeper, Gallagher on loan, Morrison and maybe Matt Clarke seen as he's stopped in League One. Maybe Hanley instead. Not expecting anything Top 6 style. 

Just now, OldEwoodBlue said:

Mowbray said we are playing 2 up front this season (so Ben can run the channels and dribble).

On our way back !

I don't remember him saying 2 up front but I remember him saying we would be trying 4-3-3 'like Liverpool'.

So a big target man and AA on one side and someone else on the other.

GK

RB              CB             CB              LB

CM          CM           CM 

RF                     CF                       LF

No idea where Dack would fit into that.

Be interesting to see what formation he starts the season with because I'm pretty sure it won't last. 

Edited by blueboy3333
  • Like 1

I don't remember him saying 2 up front but I remember him saying we would be trying 4-3-3 'like Liverpool'.

GK

Be interesting to see what formation he starts the season with because I'm pretty sure it won't last. 

hopefully Mowbray won't play Dack as a false 9 again

• Like 1

Travis, Evan's & Davenport as the 3 in midfield, Dack and Rothwell as wide forwards behind DG. Bennett at right back.

He'll be back to 4231 and aiming it to DG's head in no time.

2 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Travis, Evan's & Davenport as the 3 in midfield, Dack and Rothwell as wide forwards behind DG. Bennett at right back.

He'll be back to 4231 and aiming it to DG's head in no time.

Would love Davenport & Travis in the middle. Unfortunately don't think it will happen with Evans knocking about. 

28 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

GK

I think it'll be this. He's talked about 4-3-3 (Villa style) a lot. I think Dack will play a much deeper role, more like where Grealish plays, and then only one holder.

Raya
Nyambe    Lenihan    Hanley?   Williams/Bell
                        Travis/Evans
             Dack                          Rothwell
Downing?         Gallagher?             Armstrong

Obviously a total guess, but with the names mentioned, this is how I see it being played if we go 4-3-3.

AA was on over 20k at Newcastle I think it was reported at the time, Rovers couldn't stretch to that but got him for around 15k pwk and an extra year on the original offer to compensate.

Something along those lines anyway.

Hanley would be an improvement over what we have and he is a natural CB. Knows the club, some of the players and so should fit in easily with the group. Hopefully it's not at Lenihans expense as he's one I'd like to keep. He's still got some room to grow and perhaps having a brute ala Hanley alongside will benefit his game further. We can then get more for him next summer lol. Mulgrew for me would sit in front of them as I'd like to not see him wasting on the bench, he's one of our best passers and his free kicks are useful. Drop Evans and play Charlie in the holding role as an easy out for the defence. From there we can build, as opposed to lumping it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

On our way back !

Did he? Missed that - any links?

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

GK

Perhaps a 4-2-1-3 variation of that?

GK

RB      CB      CB      LB

CM   CM

AM

RF        CF           LF

7 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Because Downing is better? 

The point I was answering had nothing to do with playing. It was Mowbray wanted to use him as a mentor. I was asking why do that when we already had an experienced winger here.

If Downing is better and can benefit the first team squad then I'm fine with the deal. If on the other hand he is having one last payday then it is a waste of resource we haven't much of.

29 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

On Hanley, think its the type of defender we need. Runner up to Maddison as Noriwch's player of the season the one before this. Big and ugly - almost literally (no offense Grant!).

Agree. Would love to see ol Big head back at Ewood personally.

I'd love to see Hanley back, just what we need. Big aggressive centre half. 

I'm a bit concerned about this talk of Hugil, I don't think he's what we need. What about John Marquis from Doncaster or Freddie Ladaopo from Plymouth.. Both would be cheaper and seem to have a bit more about them... Gallagher on loan with a view to buy along with Harrison Reed- although I'd be surprised to see Reed come back given Mowbrays reluctance to use him in his favoured position..

Throw in an experienced right back and keeper and we're cooking on gas

Mark Bunn (FREE)
Alan Hutton (FREE)
Hanley (Loan to buy) or James Collins- knocking on but always liked him, real leader!
Reed (Loan to buy)
John Marquis (750k-1.25m)

Let go of some deadwood then perhaps look at bringing in a 'marquee' signing, by marquee I mean someone over the value of 2 million that could make an immediate impact and improvement to the squad.

I think the only way we are playing 2 upfront is if we go 3 at the back

Vorm

Byram Lenihan Bauer Hanley Bell

Travis Dack Rothwell

Graham Brereton 

Raya Williams Mulgrew Bennett Evans Davenport Nyambe Armstrong Chapman Downing Samuel Gallagher 

Quality championship squad!!! 

Edited by ChrisPriceBaldSpot