BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

I think we should be looking at Jake Bidwell for our left back problems, released reluctantly by QPR due to their financial problems and being tracked by around 10 Championship clubs. Wants to move back north, he’s originally from Southport.

• Like 4

• Backroom

If we used Mulgrew in midfield (money saver), and brought in Hanley and Bidwell, I’d genuinely be thrilled.

Mulgrew and Travis in a midfield should have enough about it to support an attacking 3 of Armstrong, Dack, and Rothwell behind a striker.

Whoever the striker is (DG, Ben, or new guy) would have to be confident holding their position though.

Edited by Mike E

Daniel Ciofani from Frosinone in Serie A is available. He is 33 but has kept himself very fit. Captain of the team. He would be a great player to have to spell off DG. Not sure if he would come to play in England though. 

2 hours ago, Mike E said:

If we used Mulgrew in midfield (money saver), and brought in Hanley and Bidwell, I’d genuinely be thrilled.

Mulgrew and Travis in a midfield should have enough about it to support an attacking 3 of Armstrong, Dack, and Rothwell behind a striker.

Whoever the striker is (DG, Ben, or new guy) would have to be confident holding their position though.

Losing Mulgrews passing and free kicks cannot happen. He was a midfielder his legs are gone, but he won't need them as a sitter. I don't want to lose his better qualities from the team, especially his free kicks as he'll score 10 a season. We need those goals ?

4 hours ago, Dr X said:

Losing Mulgrews passing and free kicks cannot happen. He was a midfielder his legs are gone, but he won't need them as a sitter. I don't want to lose his better qualities from the team, especially his free kicks as he'll score 10 a season. We need those goals ?

I think it is more important that we stop conceding the amount of goals that we have been.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dr X said:

His goals didnt really bring that much in terms of benefit tbh. We lost far more games when he was in the team than we won. Admittedly, if he can play int he team and score goals without then losing said games, big benefit indeed. 

If we do buy two CB’s then I expect us to play three. This would allow us to play three midfielders in front of them and two strikers or Dack in a free role off the main striker.

Lenihan      Mulgrew    Bauer/?

Nyambe / ?                                            Bell

Travis

?                                 Rothwell

Dack

Graham / ?

Just now, Paul Mani said:

If we do buy two CB’s then I expect us to play three. This would allow us to play three midfielders in front of them and two strikers or Dack in a free role off the main striker.

Lenihan      Mulgrew    Bauer/?

Nyambe / ?                                            Bell

Evans/Davenport

Travis                                 Rothwell

Dack

Graham / ?

Like the look of that but think Travis is better suited a bit further forward rather than being a CDM. Would hope Davenport nails down the CDM spot but our midefield would be extremely young then so expect Evans will play there - unless we sign one of these experienced players we keep getting linked to. Morrison would be a decent shout for midfield as a short-term option.

• Like 2

Yet again there's stuff out about Mulgrew, last season it was he should be a left back and this season he should be a midfielder.

Pointless he's said himself he only wants to play centre half as that's where he plays for the national team and that is important to him. He gets in that team because he starts regularly in that position and captains Rovers he also really doesn't strike me as the type who likes being told what to do.

Plus his legs really are that far gone that no way can he even 'sit' in midfield.  The thought of it is interesting but the cold hard reality of it is it isn't happening now or anytime soon so enough of this converting players lark lets just hope Mowbray sees sense finally and is able to bring in people who play in their natural positions and who are good enough at it to grab a place and keep it.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 4

I've only seen Bauer play once and that was on TV. I didn't think I was seeing an outstanding centre back that day even at that lower level., Given the number of other clubs interested in him maybe he had an off day. The kid they had on loan from Arsenal looked twice the centre back Bauer was.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I've only seen Bauer play once and that was on TV. I didn't think I was seeing an outstanding centre back that day even at that lower level., Given the number of other clubs interested in him maybe he had an off day. The kid they had on loan from Arsenal looked twice the centre back Bauer was.

This guy? I guess he will never play for Arsenal's first team, maybe he wants to leave soon.

• Backroom
8 hours ago, Dr X said:

We need those goals ?

This is a common fallacy on here. Go through the games where he scored last season and you'll see we don't need his goals, as we barely won any of them. We need somebody who can defend in defence, and let the attacking players do the scoring. 

Oh, and I don't think he got any assists, so we aren't missing those either!

Edited by DE.

• Backroom
2 hours ago, tomphil said:

Yet again there's stuff out about Mulgrew, last season it was he should be a left back and this season he should be a midfielder.

Pointless he's said himself he only wants to play centre half as that's where he plays for the national team and that is important to him. He gets in that team because he starts regularly in that position and captains Rovers he also really doesn't strike me as the type who likes being told what to do.

Plus his legs really are that far gone that no way can he even 'sit' in midfield.  The thought of it is interesting but the cold hard reality of it is it isn't happening now or anytime soon so enough of this converting players lark lets just hope Mowbray sees sense finally and is able to bring in people who play in their natural positions and who are good enough at it to grab a place and keep it.

Mulgrew in midfield would be a disaster and he'd be injured before the first match was over. 

• Like 2

Will Vaulks off to Cardiff for £1.5m. Steal for a player with 7 goals and 7 assists from midfield in a relegation side. Would’ve been great alongside Travis. 

Mulgrew in midfield would be terrible for me. Way too slow and lacks intensity. Plus while he can strike a dead ball very well he is not that great at passing.

If Mowbray thought he was decent in midfield he would have played him there, instead he left him on the bench towards the end of the season. Tells you everything. Mulgrew is finished I think.

11 hours ago, Mike E said:

If I had a quid for everytime someone suggested this! He has not got the body to play CM...he'd break down within a couple of games - could practically guarantee it. Not a chance TM will play him there and quite rightly.

• Like 3

Charlton have signed someone from Orient this morning. Haven't a clue who he is or how good he is but interesting that they're able to do business already just 3 weeks after winning promotion with their manager out of contract yet we're 3 months on from securing our status and nothing happening.

For what it's worth if we didn't sign anyone I think we would line up something like this. Maybe Bennett ahead of Davenport.

-------------------------Raya

Nyambe----Lenihan----Williams----Bell

-----------------Travis------Davenport

----Brereton---------Dack------------Rothwell

---------------------Graham

Subs : Leut, Mulgrew, youth centre back, Evans, Bennett, Chapman, Nuttall

I can't really see Mowbray moving away from 4231. If he was going to do it he would have done by now.

On signings he seems to be looking for upgrades at GK, CB, CM, ST. He doesn't seem to be focusing at full back which is weird as we are absolutely terrible there.

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

For what it's worth if we didn't sign anyone I think we would line up something like this. Maybe Bennett ahead of Davenport.

-------------------------Raya

Nyambe----Lenihan----Williams----Bell

-----------------Travis------Davenport

----Brereton---------Dack------------Rothwell

---------------------Graham

Subs : Leut, Mulgrew, youth centre back, Evans, Bennett, Chapman, Nuttall

I can't really see Mowbray moving away from 4231. If he was going to do it he would have done by now.

On signings he seems to be looking for upgrades at GK, CB, CM, ST. He doesn't seem to be focusing at full back which is weird as we are absolutely terrible there.

Swap Chapman or Armstrong for Brereton and I'm with you. Armstrong deserving of a place on the bench at the very least or had you forgotten him?