BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

You and I must read that differently - it says that he didn't want to sign a contract at Charlton and that we bid for him last summer.

It says nothing about an offer from us this time. Is it not possible we weren't in for him?

It you want to hang your hat on that unlikely scenario that's up to you. Or maybe as Honest Tony said he wanted £50k a week and that's why he chose the Real Madrid of Lancashire :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Just now, Exiled_Rover said:

I've no doubt we're still seen as a soft touch by agents. I bet he went to Preston for less than he was asking us to pay him.

Try telling that to Amadou Ba's agent. I bet he also signed for Preston for less than he originally asked them for.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

It you want to hang your hat on that unlikely scenario that's up to you. Or maybe as Honest Tony said he wanted £50k a week and that's why he chose the Real Madrid of Lancashire :rolleyes:

On current evidence, it's as likely as us missing out.

Whatever, wind yourself up over baseless assumption - I do wonder what you get out of it tbh

• Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

"If he doesn't do well at Preston, there will be big question marks over why Mowbray scouted him"

I have literally read it all now

???

Talk about "damned if you do, damned if you don't!" 

Exactly. Not only can't Tony secure the transfer against the financial might of PNE, it turns out the target was rubbish after all. 

Conclusion: Tony can't even attract shite anymore. At least he used to be able to attract Gladwin.

• Like 1

Alright, can we just say that for whatever reason, Bauer has signed for Preston and be done with it? None of knows whether we were still in for him, whether he simply chose them over us for whatever reason, whether they offered more money, longer contract or whether it was because as a club our window has only just started thanks to the V's.

We all have opinions of what might have happened but there's far too many people claiming their opinion as fact. 

Guess we just wait on what TM comes out with if indeed he even bothers.

• Like 2

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

One things for sure - Bauer would have brought height and physicality in spades which is what we are absolutely crying out for. Nobody can deny that. Let’s hope TM’s plan A - or B - whatever way you want to look at it, comes off.

Adam Maher

Bauer

We're already at C in the alphabet soup of rejection. And they're just the ones we know about.  We should get to Zidane sometime in August, just before we bid £10m for one of Barnsley's youth team.

Edited by blueboy3333
  • Like 2

I’m not too fussed about missing out on Bauer. I think we need to be aiming for better players than that if we have ambitions for the top 6. Is he any better than Downing who we let go? Downing is probably one of the best defenders in league 1 and he wasn’t good enough to get in our team. I think Bauer would fall into that same category but want significantly higher wages than Downing.

Players like Grant Hanley are the type that we should be looking at signing. Proven players at this level.

All very quiet from us and the championship in general. I think quite a few clubs are on the verge of falling foul of FFP if they spend big this window hence the lack of action so far. 

Adam Maher

Bauer

We're already at C in the alphabet soup of rejection. And they're just the ones we know about.  We should get to Zidane sometime in August, just before we bid £10m for one of Barnsley's youth team.

If C = Cooper, all this Bauer talk will seem silly.

Just now, Miller11 said:

Regarding what Mowbray said about Bauer at the consultation meeting... I want to point out that the overarching message was we were in for him last year, his demands are high for a league one player, and we need bigger and better players ready to come straight into the first team. It seemed to me we had moved on from Bauer by that point.

The 40-50k comment was in my mind pretty throwaway, to emphasise the fact his agent was over valuing him, and I’d confidently state it was in no way meant to mislead anyone. An exaggeration to highlight a point, probably.

It was clearly an exaggeration to emphasize a point. We have all done it. 

Some real sneaks on here trying to use it as a bat to beat Mowbray for 'lying". 

I do wonder if they are like this in person 

Just now, Miller11 said:

Regarding what Mowbray said about Bauer at the consultation meeting... I want to point out that the overarching message was we were in for him last year, his demands are high for a league one player, and we need bigger and better players ready to come straight into the first team. It seemed to me we had moved on from Bauer by that point.

The 40-50k comment was in my mind pretty throwaway, to emphasise the fact his agent was over valuing him, and I’d confidently state it was in no way meant to mislead anyone. An exaggeration to highlight a point, probably.

To be honest, I think us continually being linked with him is more to do with his contractual circumstances and journalists jumping to conclusions. Mowbray was dismissive of Bauer and after what he said I’d have been pretty disappointed if we had signed him.

I should point out again though that if these better players fail to materialise I’d have serious doubts over Mowbray’s integrity and Venky’s intentions.

Why was Sharpe touting him as very much a live target less than a week ago?

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17708264.rovers-handed-boost-in-chase-for-charlton-defender-bauer/

• Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

It was clearly an exaggeration to emphasize a point. We have all done it. 

Some real sneaks on here trying to use it as a bat to beat Mowbray for 'lying". 

I do wonder if they are like this in person 

He certainly has a problem with overexaggerating at the very least.

• Backroom
22 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

To be honest, I think us continually being linked with him is more to do with his contractual circumstances and journalists jumping to conclusions. Mowbray was dismissive of Bauer and after what he said I’d have been pretty disappointed if we had signed him.

I should point out again though that if these better players fail to materialise I’d have serious doubts over Mowbray’s integrity and Venky’s intentions.

My take on it too. Bauer was only an option if he was willing to come and sit on the bench or work hard to compete.

The free players have to be significantly better than our young players to be worth spending on, or want low wages.

Was Bauer any better than what we have currently? Based on the games I watched, no. I was more impressed by our own Magloire.

Personally think we'd moved on after January unless he seriously dropped his demands.

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 1

As I said, I think he’s jumping to conclusions based on the fact Bauer’s contract was up.

I know I had the benefit of hearing it first hand, but he really was very dismissive of the idea of signing Bauer.

I had been wondering myself why Sharpe continued touting him when the message I got from the horses mouth was very much contrary to this.

• Like 4

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

He certainly has a problem with overexaggerating at the very least.

Look he isn't media trained and smooth like some of these modern managers nowadays. You can see he loves his football and gets excited sometimes when talking and rambles off and exaggerates. If we were all recorded regularly and our words examined , I am sure we would all be guilty of exaggerating or getting facts wrong from time to time. The "lying" narrative some peddle on here is nasty in my opinion. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Just now, Miller11 said:

As I said, I think he’s jumping to conclusions based on the fact Bauer’s contract was up.

I know I had the benefit of hearing it first hand, but he really was very dismissive of the idea of signing Bauer.

I had been wondering myself why Sharpe continued touting him when the message I got from the horses mouth was very much contrary to this.

He said Bauer was after £45k. Bauer then ends up signing for PNE. It depends how much faith you have in what comes out of the 'horses mouth'.

• Like 1

Just caught up....and basically, I don’t care what Rich Sharpe has been saying, Mowbray poured cold water on a deal for Bauer in his fans forum interview before the end of the season. It was obvious that he’d gone off him by that time.

The key here is that we improve that area. The manager will be judged at the end of this window re his transfer dealings! 

• Like 5