BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Traviscon said:

The relative silence could be seen either way. From the good perspective, we've got targets and figures in hand and we're keeping it all under wraps to protect the deals. 

Bad perspective, the fax machines broken again.

He has the window to keep my faith.

Might be out of his hands, the chicken farmers may have turned the money tap off again. Lets see where we are come the start of August. 

Just now, Stuart said:

The difference is that one group want us to strive for success and question when we look as though we are settling for mediocrity.

The other just defend mediocrity like it in some way makes them better supporters.

The interesting bit at the moment is when Mowbray says one thing and does another but is still defended.

Right now we have a weaker squad than the one that finished the season. I just hope our signings this Summer aren’t made out of desperation and that we can look back at Bauer and laugh. (Just not at Mowbray for scouting him of course).

I disagree. I think we all want Rovers to succeed. The difference between the two groups is that one believe Mowbray can deliver that and the other doesn’t. And like I say, those views have become entrenched within some, with some posters unable to see any bad in Mowbray and some unable to see any good. 

To take Bauer as an example, one group is now saying that he wasn’t that great and there are better signings to be had when, as you pointed out, the same posters would probably have been lauding him as a great signing had he signed. 

However the other group are now chastising Mowbray for being unable to land a target he had chased for a year, but presumably had he signed wouldn’t have credited Mowbray with being able to get his man, but instead claimed that there were better signings available and that Mowbray was settling for mediocrity. 

And to be honest it makes for dull reading on both sides. I long for the bygone (probably non-existent) days when we used to discuss the team and manager on their merits, rather than taking every little thing and twisting it to score points for our own particular viewpoint

(In truth I’m probably just sick of it happening with regards to politics and want this place to be a break from that particular depressing reality)

• Like 6

Just now, Stuart said:

1. The difference is that one group want us to strive for success and question when we look as though we are settling for mediocrity.

2. The other just defend mediocrity like it in some way makes them better supporters.

3. The interesting bit at the moment is when Mowbray says one thing and does another but is still defended.

4. Right now we have a weaker squad than the one that finished the season. I just hope our signings this Summer aren’t made out of desperation and that we can look back at Bauer and laugh. (Just not at Mowbray for scouting him of course).

1.  I don’t think being unwilling to cry about Preston signing someone we wouldn’t pay 1m for last year is “defending mediocrity” personally (buzzwords of the constant moaner btw)

2. Again, being currently unwilling to be critical based on rumours, Sharpe’s assumptions, Daily Fail articles or Nixon isn’t a crusade to be “a better supporter” it’s just an opinion.

3. Read @Miller11 ‘s post, and remember the LET surmising isn’t TM’s words.

4. We do have a weaker squad, losing Reed and Conway - however there’s no way anyone could judge this window yet, and as you say - the signings we will probably make need to be probably a step up from Bauer ilk, especially if we want the club to “strive for success..!”

• Like 1

Just now, BankEnd Rover said:

Christ above. Imagine we sold him & didn't replace? Nah Tony wouldn't let that happen would he??

I would look at it another way , if I was a blade I would be wanting someone a lot better than Lenihan ...Cos they are going to do a lot of defending next season ..and will be scoring a goal every Preston guild ..

Edited by Waggy76

4 minutes ago, Traviscon said:

Then come out and say you're working with one arm behind your back.

At a time when the club are trying too shift season tickets the last thing they’d allow is for Mowbray too come out and say, “sorry lads they’ve turned the money tap off, just a few frees and a couple of loans for us this summer”... I hope he’s got money too spend but with our owners who bloody knows. Like I said, see where we are come August but I’m not hopeful. 

26 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

I hope the loan signing is better than him from Chelsea , who ended up at Bristol City .

One good 5 minutes every 4 games ...

I'm hanging my hat on one as good as Reed but a centre half......

Still have the obstacle of him actually starting regularly in his position though if we find one, the vibe again very much seems to have switched back to back up stock !

1 hour ago, tugay5 said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7159937/Dack-keen-leave-Blackburn-summer-amid-Sheffield-United-Aston-Villa.html

Can’t see sheff Utd throwing the money required for dack but wouldn’t rule villa out 

AAK was saying that surprisingly they have a good hit rate for Rovers too. Gulp.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

3 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Ok, I've found out that it's not Tony, the guy that is doing the deals is a proper prick apparently.  Not easy to deal with and probably the reason we struggle to sign anyone.

Kind of makes sense to me. Waggot avtually looks like a bit of a bell end. I’ll have that

A level headed Nobber who's a bit close to the inner circle there tells me the player was aware all along of Blackburns interest but never got to the point of speaking to our manager despite expecting too so there wasn't any choosing to be done between Rovers and PNE.

Take it as it is just someone telling someone what they've heard but if that is the case Mowbray can't be blamed for failing in his pitch although being linked all that time but never making a move when he's a free agent is odd.

• Like 2

• Backroom

I think I remember the article re: paper hit rates that AAK was referring to, and the Mail hit rate for Rovers (while astonishingly good compared to average) was still around 35-40%, so less than half.

Unless someone manages to find it and makes me look a complete arse.

Edited by Mike E

7 hours ago, Mike E said:

My take on it too. Bauer was only an option if he was willing to come and sit on the bench or work hard to compete.

The free players have to be significantly better than our young players to be worth spending on, or want low wages.

Was Bauer any better than what we have currently? Based on the games I watched, no. I was more impressed by our own Magloire.

Personally think we'd moved on after January unless he seriously dropped his demands.

We publicly chased a centre-back for months because we wanted him on the bench?

7 hours ago, Mike E said:

My take on it too. Bauer was only an option if he was willing to come and sit on the bench or work hard to compete.

The free players have to be significantly better than our young players to be worth spending on, or want low wages.

Was Bauer any better than what we have currently? Based on the games I watched, no. I was more impressed by our own Magloire.

Personally think we'd moved on after January unless he seriously dropped his demands.

To be fair, its TM who wanted him not us fans. If that's your view about Bauer you should be asking "Why"?

2 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I could see grealish go to spurs and dack as his replacement. Let’s hope not.

A club like Villa will want to splash big money on big names to show intent. I can't really see them going for Dack.

Sheffield Utd or Norwich I could see as being potentially interested, or Bournemouth.

But anyone looking at Dack would wonder if he is worth £15-£20M, and will he succeed in the Prem. 

7 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

What we spent last summer was considerably more than a lot of clubs in this division. The likes of Reading, Millwall, Brentford, QPR, Bristol City, Hull, Wigan, Preston, the newly promoted clubs etc could only dream of going out and spending what we did last summer and some of those clubs have never spent 6-7 Million whatever it was on a player in their entire history we spent it on a bench warmer.

You missed out Sheffield Utd there. How did they go?

2 hours ago, Biz said:

4. We do have a weaker squad, losing Reed and Conway - however there’s no way anyone could judge this window yet, and as you say - the signings we will probably make need to be probably a step up from Bauer ilk, especially if we want the club to “strive for success..!”

The problem is defence! Even if we hadn't lost Conway and Reed, it wouldn't have prevented the disastrous goals against column. That's why we are a bit anxious. if we don't make good defence signings our season is likely over before its begun.

• Like 2

• Backroom
1 hour ago, 47er said:

We publicly chased a centre-back for months because we wanted him on the bench?

To be fair, its TM who wanted him not us fans. If that's your view about Bauer you should be asking "Why"?

My preferred theory is we were keeping him sweet all this time just in case, but now the budget is agreed, we're after bigger, more proven, more expensive fish.

Maybe we went cold on him over the season due to performances for Charlton (many on here less than impressed on viewing).

Maybe we were pursuing him for the squad because he was free, to replace Downing rather than go into the X1. Could've been a breaking point in January if Bauer/agent had asked for more money before committing to a loan, because they saw we'd let go of a CB so 'more desperate', but we were holding out for the original wages agreed?

Maybe we offered 10k as a squad player, while PNE offered 12k as a regular starter? Even reversing the amounts, any player worth their salt will pick games.

As far as transfers in general are concerned, we've been good at keeping them quiet until a day or two before signing. For that reason I still feel reasonably confident of a good window. Frustrating that there's not much news, for sure, but I have faith we'll be after better than Bauer.

Negative head: Dack and lenihan will both go for decent money.  I genuinely think Dack will leave - otherwise would have expected a new contract signed by now.   We'll get a couple of decent quality loans in with the freed up wages and spend a couple of million on a young player or 2, who may or may not be first team ready.  The rest will be offset against our losses.   All will be quiet until the ST seat renewal date passes.

Positive head:. We are waiting for a sale to top up the kitty and then will invest the lot and bring in 4 or 5 first team ready players. 

? I'll go 80:20 in favour of being a negative Nelly.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tomphil said:

A level headed Nobber who's a bit close to the inner circle there tells me the player was aware all along of Blackburns interest but never got to the point of speaking to our manager despite expecting too so there wasn't any choosing to be done between Rovers and PNE.

Take it as it is just someone telling someone what they've heard but if that is the case Mowbray can't be blamed for failing in his pitch although being linked all that time but never making a move when he's a free agent is odd.

Makes sense. Seeing as Mowbray alluded to losing interest in the supporters forum. 

5 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

A club like Villa will want to splash big money on big names to show intent. I can't really see them going for Dack.

Sheffield Utd or Norwich I could see as being potentially interested, or Bournemouth.

But anyone looking at Dack would wonder if he is worth £15-£20M, and will he succeed in the Prem. 

Villa spent 22m on Wesley from Club Brugges didn't they? He's hardly a big name he's just had a decent season in the Juliper, which to be honest is an awful league.

Nightmare scenario would be for clubs to get down to their C list at the end of the window and for the bids to come in then for Dack when we have no opportunity to wheel and deal. If Villa interest is subject to Grealish being sold, Grealish is not top of the Spurs' wanted list from what I can see.

So an early move for Dack is in our favour. Gives time for Mrs D to dig her heels in in the price too.

I notice Man U's only signing so far is a Championship player...