BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

With a "competitive" budget we can be competitive, like we were last year, barring the horrific run. Of course there are teams who go up without spending the most, but if you look at the top 6 every season, more often than not the teams in it have spent more than those out of it. Last season those in it , spend as much if not more than we did. The majority spent a lot more. Small margins in this league and going off where we were when Mowbray took over, he is improving things. 

Over the last 3 season's promoted sides include Cardiff, Brighton, Norwich, Sheffield United all had competitive budget's but by no means the biggest and then of course there is Huddersfield who got promoted with one of the lowest budgets. So in the last 3 seasons over half the team promoted have not had by any means the highest budget. What Cardiff and Brighton had was a manager who know the league and what sort of players were needed to get out of it without spending big money. Norwich and Huddersfield had German managers who had great knowledge of the players from the overseas market which gives better value for money. And then there is Sheffield United who's manager has been playing with a specific system and way of playing with them for a few years and signed players to fit that system. Singing McGoldrick, Egan and Norwood for around £6.5 Million was fantastic business and strengthened the entire spine of their team. Mowbray has acknowledged that he could have done similar with the Brereton money but he chose not to.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Butty said:

Anyone else get the feeling that a Downing or a Frank Fielding May be a done deal but TM doesn’t want that too be announced as our first signing when we are at a time where season ticket sales are horrendous and the club are trying too shift more? Could be the case. EDIT: Just seen on Twitter that Downing’s odds of joining us have gone in from 7/4 too 1/5. Someone knows something! 

Could well mean that Mercer has been down the betting shop again?

• Like 4

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Over the last 3 season's promoted sides include Cardiff, Brighton, Norwich, Sheffield United all had competitive budget's but by no means the biggest and then of course there is Huddersfield who got promoted with one of the lowest budgets. So in the last 3 seasons over half the team promoted have not had by any means the highest budget. What Cardiff and Brighton had was a manager who know the league and what sort of players were needed to get out of it without spending big money. Norwich and Huddersfield had German managers who had great knowledge of the players from the overseas market which gives better value for money. And then there is Sheffield United who's manager has been playing with a specific system and way of playing with them for a few years and signed players to fit that system. Singing McGoldrick, Egan and Norwood for around £6.5 Million was fantastic business and strengthened the entire spine of their team. Mowbray has acknowledged that he could have done similar with the Brereton money but he chose not to.

£6.5 million for those 3 was great business, although if Mowbray signed McGoldrick I am sure he would have been slated on here for "signing a crock". 

I read Brighton were one one of the biggest spenders the season they went up. Didn't they only avoid FFP punishment because they went up? Pretty sure that was the case

Look, some great managers there. Mowbray has put the pressure on himself to deliver this season, so hopefully he meets his target. 

33 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Sorry mate, I can't believe you wouldn't slot hanley into our defence after watching that total shambles last season.  Seriously, Williams in particular was and is feckin rubbish and if he starts the season I'm putting money on us being relegated.  

Hanley is a top of the championship defender and is probably the only one who can see past the idiots that are waggot et al. We are struggling to sell the club to potential signings.

Got to say I disagree with you again here, Hanley is a donkey. I don’t want him back, was delighted to get rid 

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

Got to say I disagree with you again here, Hanley is a donkey. I don’t want him back, was delighted to get rid 

It's fine mate, I think he's ñgood, Benitez must have thought he was good and the same with Farker.  You don't, the Scotland manager doesn't etc.....All about opinions.?️‍♀️

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

So apparently the Downing deal is close

Do supporters of other clubs act so negatively straight off the bat about a free transfer, or is just our fans? 

I could understand it if the window closed tomorrow....

Source? 

53 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Spot on, whereas we have a manager who says all the right things, but evidently has a transfer strategy decided by tombola.

Anyway, I look forward to the new defence he promised at the late season forum, (not holding my breath).

Some of his more recent interviews have a subtext of a major climb down on expectations.

Luckily for him, the people who own the club will swallow his wittering as being factual.

If Bauer chose Preston over us I really don't blame him.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Funny isn't it I'd have him back in a heartbeat, odd how opinions differ so wildly within a group of people all wanting the same thing. 

• Like 5

I'm intrigued to see what Mowbray will say or do should these new defenders not come in this summer or if we sign a few but start the season with the same team.

He made a rod for his own back at the forum promising more than one new defender to replace those here so he's going to look like a fool if he doesn't get them. 

Nevertheless here we are with pre season only days away and only tentative links for familiar faces and Mowbray talking about how difficult it is. The only comfort blanket people seem to have is that some other clubs haven't yet signed anyone. Great.

Tony is a massive upgrade on most of the bellends, clueless, dodgy, inexperienced and bang on average joes we've had shoved upon us under Venkys.  A breath of fresh air in many many respects BUT he is a football manager.  They all talk drivvle at times they all cover their own backsides and shock horror they all make bad judgement calls and get things wrong.  It is what it is however he is good at playing the game in the media and as time goes on it's clear a major part of his job s to pay lip service saying the right things at the right time whether they are correct or not I think there's pressure on any gaffer here to do that after the fanbase was so fractured and distanced from the club.

He is in real danger of tripping himself up now though if he doesn't deliver some positive signings he's done too much bold talking and major back tracking over the last 12 months.

Time for honest Tony to be honest at the end of this window if it doesn't deliver what he's been saying it would shrugging shoulders won't cut it this time.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Could do with some positive news today, my Chow passed away a couple of hours ago. I know its just a dog but its never nice to be woken by a harrowing yelp/cry and then seeing your buddy of 10 years lieing on the floor with blood coming from his mouth. One final yelp of pain within 20 seconds of getting there and he was gone.

Then of course I have the missus and kids all crying their eyes out.

Come on TM - give me something to take my mind off.

How did that happen? I have a lab, hate to feel what u are feeling now

Just now, tomphil said:

Tony is a massive upgrade on most of the bellends, clueless, dodgy, inexperienced and bang on average joes we've had shoved upon us under Venkys.  A breath of fresh air in many many respects BUT he is a football manager.  They all talk drivvle at times they all cover their own backsides and shock horror they all make bad judgement calls and get things wrong.  It is what it is however he is good at playing the game in the media and as time goes on it's clear a major part of his job s to pay lip service saying the right things at the right time whether they are correct or not I think there's pressure on any gaffer here to do that after the fanbase was so fractured and distanced from the club.

He is in real danger of tripping himself up now though if he doesn't deliver some positive signings he's done too much bold talking and major back tracking over the last 12 months.

Time for honest Tony to be honest at the end of this window if it doesn't deliver what he's been saying it would shrugging shoulders won't cut it this time.

I don't think he's that much of an upgrade...and that's saying something compared to the dross, venkys have appointed.  (As an aside, I typed in venkys and the autocorrect on my tablet changed the word to genius, the irony)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

Let's say they do. Would you take the offer? 

If it let us build a strong core to the side that could propel us to promotion then it would be worth considering.

But I just couldn’t see the funds being made available.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

What would the consensus be if we signed Hanley for £6 million. 

Yes or no? 

Big yes from me.  Big, strong and commanding. Very good championship quality and knows the club. Not sure how much better we can do given our status.

He might be similar to Lenighan, but that's what we need. Our downfall occured when Lenighan was injured and we need at least one more centre back with strength. 

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

What would the consensus be if we signed Hanley for £6 million. 

Yes or no? 

£6m is far too much imo , about half that would be OK for me , certainly no more than 4 but I think the original link had us taking him on loan , which would be perfect  as another poster said he is a similar player player Lenighan so maybe the recent links are as his replacement , which for me means we still need another C/b 

talking hypothetically , if we were to get £8m for Lenighan , took Hanley on loan Bidwell or Martin Olsson on a free and Got Jake Cooper for anything less than £6m , that would represent great business

Edited by AJW
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

I'm intrigued to see what Mowbray will say or do should these new defenders not come in this summer or if we sign a few but start the season with the same team.

He made a rod for his own back at the forum promising more than one new defender to replace those here so he's going to look like a fool if he doesn't get them. 

Nevertheless here we are with pre season only days away and only tentative links for familiar faces and Mowbray talking about how difficult it is. The only comfort blanket people seem to have is that some other clubs haven't yet signed anyone. Great.

Some other clubs haven’t signed anybody, there’s been very little action in the whole division, why can’t folk just be patient and see who we end up with, then decide if TM has done a job or not.

• Like 2

Just now, AJW said:

£6m is far too much imo , about half that would be OK for me , certainly no more than 4 but I think the original link had us taking him on loan , which would be perfect  as another poster said he is a similar player player Lenighan so maybe the recent links are as his replacement , which for me means we still need another C/b 

talking hypothetically , if we were to get £8m for Lenighan , took Hanley on loan Bidwell or Martin Olsson on a free and Got Jake Cooper for anything less than £6m , that would represent great business

I couldn’t disagree with you more. Lenighan is a better alround player than Cooper or Hanley. We are going to start playing it out from the back and through midfield, both Cooper and Hanley are of the “hoof it as far as you can” variety. 

Edited by roversinmyblood

Just now, roversinmyblood said:

I couldn’t disagree with you more. Lenighan is a better alround player than Cooper or Hanley. We are going to start playing it out from the back and through midfield, both Cooper and Hanley are of the “hoof it as far as you can” variety. 

This silly new fashionable idea of “playing it out from the back” is ridiculous. We (and many other teams) try it and all that ends up happening is we knock it around the back four for a dozen pointless passes, invite pressure, knock it back to Raya, who boots it out for a throw-in in their half. We need defenders who can defend first and foremost.

• Like 4

• Moderation Lead

It’s not just about budgets, it’s about what you do with them. 

As we well know with our young striker! 

Being real though, bargains are there, it’s just a matter of finding them. They don’t have to cost the earth, though granted, as with most things in life, you tend to get what you pay for...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

So apparently the Downing deal is close

Do supporters of other clubs act so negatively straight off the bat about a free transfer, or is just our fans? 

I could understand it if the window closed tomorrow....

I dont understand this comment at all. Criticism and "negativity" towards this potential deal is in my opinion constructive. We have a few pacy, exciting players who can play in the wide positions in Rothwell, Armstrong and Chapman, and have moved on (well sort of!) one of the two "defensive" wingers that have often lagged up and down the wings at the cost of an attacking threat down their sides. Its not easy to see why a soon to be 35 year old winger who was fairly reliant on his increasingly waning pace can fit in and improve us in that position, one who will presumably take a decent wage and is coming off the back of a barren season where his contribution of 2 goals and 1 assists is indicative of why Boro fans seemed fairly relived to see him leave.

In terms of overall pessimism, you can understand impatience somewhat considering the owners we have have proved incredibly eccentric and unreliable as we all know.

Mowbray hasnt done anything to warrant much confidence in terms of his ability to improve a defence either. Its an area hes neglected throughout his tenure here, spending less than 500k of well over 10m, on Downing (very much a League 1 stand in who has been released), Bell (cant defend at all, very flimsy) and Sam Hart. (who?) He turned his nose up at spending a fairly small fee on a defender he clearly wanted, and his back up choice was to sign a free agent midfielder and try and fail to shoehorn him in there. Defensive issues have been his achilles heel in the past, notably at Coventry where he admitted regret over not signing a leader at centre back.

Just now, roversinmyblood said:

So is Lenihan, the long diagonal out of play is his speciality. Very limited on the ball.

• Like 2