BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

I’ve avoided looking at Rovers news for the last few weeks due to the sad inevitability of nothing happening. And nothing has happened. The conversation and articles are practically identical to what they were at the start of summer which is a little drab and boring, but in fairness we’re better off keeping our cards close to our chest, not sure we have a decent hand at all though.

Personally, I’m a bit annoyed at the club as they fed us promise through a big money signing last summer, followed by lots of talk about kicking on, talk of heavily scouting Europe etc. Sadly, the Indian holiday party came back with little enthusiasm and without the relatively healthy pot of cash that was regularly insinuated, and the same people that fed that hope seem to be trying to dampen it as of now. I might be jumping the gun with that, but in all probability, that’s where we’re at. If we’re continuing along a sensible, build bit by bit approach, that’s absolutely fine, just please don’t make out as if we’re doing more as it only causes disappointment.

As a saving grace, it seems like the majority of teams in our league are in a similar position, shown by the lack of activity so far. If we bring in 2 or 3 frees/loans that add genuine competition with the experienced mentality/qualities currently lacking, followed by a couple of cash signings on a defender and striker, we have every chance of doing better than we did last season, providing we aren’t forced in to a sale with Lenihan or Dack. On top of that, one or two of the signings who played no role last season (Davenport, Chapman) or very little of a role last season (Brereton, Rothwell) have every chance of making an impact on the first 11.

Based on past activity, and like most others, I’m concerned about us not addressing the defence in the way we need to. Everybody on here knows we need a good, commanding centre back before anything else, if not we won’t improve make no mistake. If we cop out and go cheap it’ll be a long season. Also don’t think we’re strong enough at full back (think Nyambe has big potential, not keen on Bell but not writing him off) and it looks like we’re probably not going to add in that position. That’s a major gamble and we might have to hope and pray that they improve over pre-season and any centre back coming in has a major organisational presence to help them along throughout the season.

There’s a number of weeks left so let’s wait and see what happens. Movement across the league will start soon, hopefully we pull something off as it does.  Nothing is guaranteed, by the end of the window we might be happy, might be sad, only thing certain is us sad bar stewards will be sat refreshing tinterweb on the regular! Fingers crossed.

Edited by Don Said
  • Like 2

Just a quick question for anyone who had convinced themselves the trip to India has curtailed ambitions;

Did you expect them to come back talking about big budgets? Even if they had one?

• Like 2

I may be old school but I like my summer signings to be done early, it makes it look like it’s organised and some thought has went into it backing into last season rather than the mad panic and taking what’s available option of waiting until deadline day. Doing it early also gets the new players time to gel with current squad and make us ready for the start of the season, which we haven’t looked like being for ages now 

• Like 3

Just now, Biz said:

Just a quick question for anyone who had convinced themselves the trip to India has curtailed ambitions;

Did you expect them to come back talking about big budgets? Even if they had one?

They did last season...and after we spent £7.6m Mowbray even told us there was money left over. 

Edited by blueboy3333

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

I may be old school but I like my summer signings to be done early, it makes it look like it’s organised and some thought has went into it backing into last season rather than the mad panic and taking what’s available option of waiting until deadline day. Doing it early also gets the new players time to gel with current squad and make us ready for the start of the season, which we haven’t looked like being for ages now 

I don't think anyone wants different. It's just very complicated to get deals done these days, hence why 14 clubs in the division haven't signed anyone. Players get many offers and take their time mulling them over, they hold out hoping for better. It's up to the club whether they move on or not. If you move on though, you are going down your list. It's a tricky balancing act. Not football manager 2008 on the PC unfortunately. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

There are 7 weeks left in the current Window.

Existing Rovers being touted as ''like a new signing''. NO, they are not.

Brereton, Rothwell, Davenport, Chapman and maybe even Gladwin. Could spin that line for all of them, Rothwell did get a good few games at the end of the season mind you.

• Like 1

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

They did last season...and after we spent £7.6m Mowbray even told us there was money left over. 

I thought the same “bluster”, “turned out to be a load of b0llocks last season”?

Just now, davulsukur said:

Brereton, Rothwell, Davenport, Chapman and maybe even Gladwin. Could spin that line for all of them, Rothwell did get a good few games at the end of the season mind you.

You could make the case for Chapman and Davenport as being like new signings as they played what, around 60 minutes of game time between them all season? You couldn't say Brereton and Rothwell are as they were in and around the first team for most of the season, with Rothwell being in the starting 11 for half of it. 

Just now, Biz said:

Think it's the other way round.

Mowbray made a comment hoping to add a few multi million pound signings at the start of the summer.

Since the return from India talk is up to 5 signings, a few frees and loans.

Certainly don't expect us to show our hand at all, that would be foolish. Nobody expected or even wanted us to come out and talk about big budgets. But to come out with the lines we have done this week has indicated that we're at the lower end, not the higher end of proposed budgets. Just indications, though.

Downing is sensible short term. Could bring composure and experience in the final third, Graham was often the only one who could keep the ball up there which put us under a lot of pressure last year.

Think he's got a decent delivery so might make the decision not to play Mulgrew easier.

31 minutes ago, JHRover said:

The negativity comes from the constant mixed messages and moving of expectations that we get from the club. Mowbray kicks off the summer saying he's going after ready made players to strengthen our team and wants them in quickly. He wants defenders who will replace those who conceded far too many last season. He wants to tap into the European market. He wants players ready to impact now rather than in the future. 

Fast forward 6 weeks and we're hearing about loans, frees, players to polish and sell on. We've seen a long term target go to Preston and with pre season starting on Monday weve got a weaker squad than the one that finished last season. 

Of course plenty of time to address that but as with last summer we see bold ambitions and claims replaced with something far less impressive. 

As expected talk soon shifts to Davenport and Chapman being new signings even though he didn't play them last season and neither have any sort of track record at this level. 

Totally with you JH. Not that long he talked of ''maybe matching the sum we paid for Brereton''. and having similar budget to last year whether that includes amounts left over from January  or not, who knows??  Frankly, i'm bored of the bullsh1t that comes out of this Club which is only going to change by actions rather than words.

We spend £3m on our academy, we pile money and resource into our scouting dept and so far we have got as far as mentions for  Downing (old pals act?) and Hanley -not exactly ripping up the scouting manual  or finding Europe's hidden gems there are we?? But effectively the window hasn't opened yet and whilst not holding my breath, I suppose we shouldn't judge until it closes again and we know what we 've ended up with  even though the soundbites right now are far from encouraging.

It looks like we aren't in a minority of disenchanted fans judging by ST sales ……..and on that particular subject, Waggott shows little sign of understanding fan sentiment with some of the crap he comes out with. He's only got 2 years to look back on whereas we are all dulled and infected by a decade of misery in the main. None of us can begin to comprehend how absent owners simply throw £20m a year at a basket case just to keep it ticking over with seemingly no ambition for anything beyond that. Not exactly a story that's easy for fans to buy into and rush to part with their hard earned. 

I find myself getting more and more wound up by the contradictions and back tracking that have gone on notably in last couple of months .It would be far better if they said nothing at all and on that score Rich Sharpe /LT don't help by keeping running the same stuff under slightly different headings each night. It took them about 3 weeks to finally get us all past Conway moving on there was that much being written. No news is really that !!  

Wake me up when there's something to tell , Rovers!

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't think anyone wants different. It's just very complicated to get deals done these days, hence why 14 clubs in the division haven't signed anyone. Players get many offers and take their time mulling them over, they hold out hoping for better. It's up to the club whether they move on or not. If you move on though, you are going down your list. It's a tricky balancing act. Not football manager 2008 on the PC unfortunately. 

Or that’s an excuse given to appease fans. If a player is going to be moving, uprooting their family, they will want things moved quickly for school terms and settling into the area, never mind settling in with new team. I’d say the argument can go both ways. I know if I was moving work I’d want it done quickly 

Can't say i'd be too excited with Stewart Downing signing.

I thought he was crap when he was good.

Still, early days in the window yet and of course he'd get a blank slate in a Rovers shirt.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 2

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

Can't say i'd be too excited with Stewart Downing signing.

I thought he was crap when he was good.

Still, early days in the window yet and of course he gets a blank slate in a Rovers shirt.

Nah me either, mainly due to age, I did rate him in his hey day 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Sigh 

It seems whoever we sign now will be met with negativity. No matter who or what positions we sign, some will find a problem. Like bringing the Smallwood "issue" into things. He barely featured second half of the season, but the way some are talking you would swear he is 1st choice or something. Double sigh 

Boring the pants off me with this continual hand-wringing....Its not negative to give different opinions about the club.

We want things to be better---some do anyway. Others will justify anything.

2 hours ago, Neal said:

Came from a conversation a fan on here had with Mowbray after the last fans Q&A. He suggested Cooper and Mowbray said it would be one that would interest him... Or words to that effect. 

Ah fair enough. Suppose it's hard to gauge that interest without being there at the time. 

In all honesty I'd be beside myself if Mowbray was taking scouting tips from our fans. If he's a good enough option, he should already be on the radar.