BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

35 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I may be old school but I like my summer signings to be done early, it makes it look like it’s organised and some thought has went into it backing into last season rather than the mad panic and taking what’s available option of waiting until deadline day. Doing it early also gets the new players time to gel with current squad and make us ready for the start of the season, which we haven’t looked like being for ages now 

Probably why we never win the first game of the season!

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

Can't say i'd be too excited with Stewart Downing signing.

I thought he was crap when he was good.

Still, early days in the window yet and of course he'd get a blank slate in a Rovers shirt.

I agree. To me he has always flattered to deceive and never been consistent. I remember him making a World Cup squad as a Liverpool players and in the season had no goals and no assists. It's another lazy signing who will be on big money.

Disappointed.

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

Or that’s an excuse given to appease fans. If a player is going to be moving, uprooting their family, they will want things moved quickly for school terms and settling into the area, never mind settling in with new team. I’d say the argument can go both ways. I know if I was moving work I’d want it done quickly 

It'd not an excuse, it's reality. If your version was what happens, players would have been moving over the last few weeks and they haven't. 

39 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I may be old school but I like my summer signings to be done early, it makes it look like it’s organised and some thought has went into it backing into last season rather than the mad panic and taking what’s available option of waiting until deadline day. Doing it early also gets the new players time to gel with current squad and make us ready for the start of the season, which we haven’t looked like being for ages now 

I agree. The earlier you get players in the quicker they can adjust.

36 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't think anyone wants different. It's just very complicated to get deals done these days, hence why 14 clubs in the division haven't signed anyone. Players get many offers and take their time mulling them over, they hold out hoping for better. It's up to the club whether they move on or not. If you move on though, you are going down your list. It's a tricky balancing act. Not football manager 2008 on the PC unfortunately. 

I also agree with this. Players, via their agents, hold out for better deals. Getting signings done early involves work during the season - think Hazard to Madrid - it's harder to do at Rovers level.

Just now, 47er said:

Boring the pants off me with this continual hand-wringing....Its not negative to give different opinions about the club.

We want things to be better---some do anyway. Others will justify anything.

Well then stop reading, simples. 

Yes sometimes it is negative and should be called as such. Having a different opinion doesn't make someone negative and I never claimed it was, so don't put words in my mouth. 

Everybody wants the club to do better, to suggest different is silly. 

Just now, speeeeeeedie said:

I agree. The earlier you get players in the quicker they can adjust.

I also agree with this. Players, via their agents, hold out for better deals. Getting signings done early involves work during the season - think Hazard to Madrid - it's harder to do at Rovers level.

Exactly and it is even becoming more difficult for clubs with endless reserves of money like Man u for example. Some fans just don't understand how the transfer window works  

Just now, Fraserkirky said:

We are absolutely skint. Thank god we have a category A academy. Play them, but don’t feed us the bullshit please. Downing is a crap signing. 

Yeap. Really struggling to see where he fits in? There are better free agents out there. Come on Mowbray, Sort it out! 

210 pages of Quotes, and counting, we have theories, speculation, Rants, and Tony's yes we will sign players to come straight in the team to well maybe a few free's, still no signings, hell of a way to sell season tickets Tony 

Edited by EgyptianPete

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Given how ineffective Conway was last did he really even need replacing?

As chief tea maker and name taker. General grass and Mowbrays towel boy. Good ol Benno was the natural replacement.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Nah me either, mainly due to age, I did rate him in his hey day 

Me too, he was pretty decent back in the day but that was a while back.  Will he turn out to be the new David Wagstaffe or will he be the new Peter Whittingham ?  It's not a gamble I'd be taking.  Where does this leave Chapman incidentally ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Me too, he was pretty decent back in the day but that was a while back.  Will he turn out to be the new David Wagstaffe or will he be the new Peter Whittingham ?  It's not a gamble I'd be taking.  Where does this leave Chapman incidentally ?

Think he plays more central nowadays - so not sure he will be in direct competition with Chapman. An option there though I suppose. 

I do notice that his assists and goals stats fell off a cliff last season though - little worrying.

Edited by JacknOry

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Given how ineffective Conway was last did he really even need replacing?

I actually thought he was ok when he played. Chapman a fair more exciting proposition though, Downing brings the experience and it's good he can play on the win or centrally. 

28 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

Ah fair enough. Suppose it's hard to gauge that interest without being there at the time. 

In all honesty I'd be beside myself if Mowbray was taking scouting tips from our fans. If he's a good enough option, he should already be on the radar.

Didn't we sign Rhodes on a fans say so ? The fan that hasn't been on this site for years as far as I can see.

Still learning his trade until he reaches the mature age of 25 probably

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You could make the case for Chapman and Davenport as being like new signings as they played what, around 60 minutes of game time between them all season? You couldn't say Brereton and Rothwell are as they were in and around the first team for most of the season, with Rothwell being in the starting 11 for half of it. 

According to https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ Rothwell started 13 games and Brereton only in 4.

The majority of Rothwells appearances have been for 20 mins or less.

Overall, their contributions were minimal as they didn't play enough but as they are more up to speed with how Mowbray wants them play, he can easily spin that they will be ready to contribute more and be like new signings.

Forgot Samuel as well, another new signing.

Me too, he was pretty decent back in the day but that was a while back.  Will he turn out to be the new David Wagstaffe or will he be the new Peter Whittingham ?It's not a gamble I'd be taking.  Where does this leave Chapman incidentally ?

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2018/11/23/gary-mcallisters-indian-summer-at-liverpool/  

This lad did alright at Liverpool at 35 going on 36 

• Like 1